Enough With The Pre-Sales!

tripdad

After the pre-sale for Cleveland popping up on Monday by surprise (I checked at 7 AM and they still listed Coming Soon) I looked at the next opportunity to buy since I wasn't getting very good seats at 2 in the afternoon.

1. Music Today - Started Monday

2. Citi Card member - Started Tuesday

3. Live Nation - Started Wednesday

4. Radio/Media - Started Wednesday

5. Q Insider - Started Wednesday

and Finally

6. Hotline - Started Wednesday

Open Public - On sale Saturday.

Why can't we just go back to camping out the night before and buying them in person??!!

I found that options 3 and 4 above yielded the same seat locations - best available was section 108 IMHO. I called up a neighbor who offered up a pre sale code last year (Hotline) and she again provided it which yielded some great seats - Section C124 4th row. The Hotline pre sale is for Cavs Season Ticket Holders.

How many other presales are out there that are less announced like the Hotline? Have to wonder.

Trying for Toronto tickets tomorrow in the Live Nation Mobile App Pre Sale. Yes, yet another pre sale. does anyone know of any others for Toronto??

2.gif

Edited by tripdad

It is certainly a little bit ridiculous to have 24 different presales IMO...give me a damn break.

The reason we can't go camping out and buy them in person anymore is because the internet has made that obsolete. It does seem that this tour has an unusual amount of pre-sales though so it's hard for people to know what one to use for the best seats. If they only had one company doing the pre-sale it would be a lot easier.

ranton.gif

I think the reason for these sales is so the concert promoters can make the customer think they're getting some special treatment by being able to purchase tickets before they "go on sale to the public." But the fact is when the pre-sale starts everyone has a chance to get tickets and you're not getting any special treatment. Especially with the way this one is being run where all you need is an e-mail address and you're good to go. Iron Maiden has the best pre-sale system that I know of. They send a special code to fanclub members and only if you have that code are you granted access to the pre-sale tickets and you do get to choose the best seats in the house. Sure, you can e-mail or PM people the code who aren't in the fanclub but at least it's a better system then this random free-for-all, everybody's doing a pre-sale thing that's going on with this Rush tour.

rantoff.gif

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ May 10 2012, 11:32 AM)
I think the reason for these sales is so the concert promoters can make the customer think they're getting some special treatment by being able to purchase tickets before they "go on sale to the public." But the fact is when the pre-sale starts everyone has a chance to get tickets and you're not getting any special treatment.

I know some people will come to the defence of the 'system', but you nailed it.

This is exactly what presales are...to make people THINK that they are getting the special treatment.

QUOTE (tripdad @ May 10 2012, 10:08 AM)
After the pre-sale for Cleveland popping up on Monday by surprise (I checked at 7 AM and they still listed Coming Soon) I looked at the next opportunity to buy since I wasn't getting very good seats at 2 in the afternoon.

2. Live Nation - Started Wednesday
3. Radio/Media - Started Wednesday
4. Q Insider - Started Wednesday
and Finally
5. Hotline - Started Wednesday

Why can't we just go back to camping out the night before and buying them in person??!!

I found that options 2 and 3 above yielded the same seat locations - best available was section 108 IMHO. I called up a neighbor who offered up a pre sale code last year (Hotline) and she again provided it which yielded some great seats - Section C124 4th row. The Hotline pre sale is for Cavs Season Ticket Holders.

How many other presales are out there that are less announced like the Hotline? Have to wonder.

Trying for Toronto tickets tomorrow in the Live Nation Mobile App Pre Sale. Yes, yet another pre sale. does anyone know of any others for Toronto??

2.gif

A dozen pre-sales does kind of seem pretty silly.

I forgot about the Citi Card pre sale - I edited my post.

I agree with the comments. It's perception. Also it's about marketing... run out and get a Citi card so you can get in on the (mediocre) pre sale!!

comp26.gif

QUOTE (tripdad @ May 10 2012, 12:21 PM)
I forgot about the Citi Card pre sale - I edited my post.

I agree with the comments. It's perception. Also it's about marketing... run out and get a Citi card so you can get in on the (mediocre) pre sale!!

comp26.gif

There's also the American Express 'Front of the Line' presale that always happens as well. wacko.gif

The sad thing is a lot of these presales (Citi card and Live Nation mobile, etc) make you DO something to get what you think is special treatment, when its really just the same ole shitty seats. Music Today was the only presale that had any seats that were REMOTELY good and I still didn't find any good tickets.

I hate buying Rush tickets. This is the only band I've bought tickets for where I have to slave like this. I know it happens with a lot of other bands but I haven't experienced it. It's just really tiring.

QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ May 10 2012, 11:44 AM)
The sad thing is a lot of these presales (Citi card and Live Nation mobile, etc) make you DO something to get what you think is special treatment, when its really just the same ole shitty seats. Music Today was the only presale that had any seats that were REMOTELY good and I still didn't find any good tickets.

I hate buying Rush tickets. This is the only band I've bought tickets for where I have to slave like this. I know it happens with a lot of other bands but I haven't experienced it. It's just really tiring.

goodpost.gif

I wish we could go back to the good ol' days as well. Two Reasons:

1. Would not hear all the whining about how bad the seats are that you were offered. What happened to being happy to get a chance to see your fav band?

2. Would be happy to hear anything they played as opposed to beeching about what they have played too much of and what they have skipped all these years.

Whine whine whine......spoiled rotten.

QUOTE (tripdad @ May 10 2012, 10:08 AM)

2. Citi Card member - Started Tuesday
3. Live Nation - Started Wednesday
4. Radio/Media - Started Wednesday
5. Q Insider - Started Wednesday
and Finally
6. Hotline - Started Wednesday

I found that options 3 and 4 above yielded the same seat locations - best available was section 108 IMHO. I called up a neighbor who offered up a pre sale code last year (Hotline) and she again provided it which yielded some great seats - Section C124 4th row. The Hotline pre sale is for Cavs Season Ticket Holders.

2.gif

Funny, the reason I miss waiting in line is the "trippin'" before I was a "dad" laugh.gif

QUOTE (drgrendel @ May 10 2012, 12:17 PM)
I wish we could go back to the good ol' days as well. Two Reasons:

1. Would not hear all the whining about how bad the seats are that you were offered. What happened to being happy to get a chance to see your fav band?

2. Would be happy to hear anything they played as opposed to beeching about what they have played too much of and what they have skipped all these years.

You know, it's great that a lot of people have had a chance to see Rush a lot... but I am 22 years old. I get to see them once a tour. So yes, I am quite invested in getting good seats. This will be my third time ever seeing them. Forgive me for trying to get good seats and thinking that 12 presales is a little ridiculous.

QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ May 10 2012, 01:23 PM)
I wish we could go back to the good ol' days as well.  Two Reasons:

1.  Would not hear all the whining about how bad the seats are that you were offered.  What happened to being happy to get a chance to see your fav band? 

2.  Would be happy to hear anything they played as opposed to beeching about what they have played too much of and what they have skipped all these years.

You know, it's great that a lot of people have had a chance to see Rush a lot... but I am 22 years old. I get to see them once a tour. So yes, I am quite invested in getting good seats. This will be my third time ever seeing them. Forgive me for trying to get good seats and thinking that 12 presales is a little ridiculous.

You dont need to apologize for anything.

Keep on keeping on!

1.  Would not hear all the whining about how bad the seats are that you were offered.  What happened to being happy to get a chance to see your fav band? 

2.  Would be happy to hear anything they played as opposed to beeching about what they have played too much of and what they have skipped all these years.

Agreed.

I'm 28...and in the same boat.

I became a fan in 1997, right as they went into the hiatus. My first tour was the VT Tour in 2002...so trying to get great tickets has been difficult for me as well.

Sorry...no bleeding heart from me. I was 13 years old and wanted to see Rush.

1. No internet to buy tickets

2. Parents would not allow me to sleep overnight for dang tickets

3. Dad, if he could take the time, would drive me to the city to buy tickets. I took whatever they had. Know something? I was the happiest kid in the world because I was going!

So yeah...spoiled.

You missed the point. It is the general perception that pre-sales "owe" fans better tickets than other sales. Or...that pre-sales "should have this over that" that i have issues with. Where is it written that the best have to be offered first?

Good ol' days indeed...

Wish I had the opportunity to go online to get tickets when I was 13. Would have spared me chopping some wood in order to get my Dad to drive me to the city to get tix...

Yeah....spoiled.

QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ May 10 2012, 12:23 PM)

I feel for you. You would have loved my first concert.

$6.50 ticket and general admission.

QUOTE (drgrendel @ May 10 2012, 12:54 PM)
You missed the point. It is the general perception that pre-sales "owe" fans better tickets than other sales. Or...that pre-sales "should have this over that" that i have issues with. Where is it written that the best have to be offered first?

Good ol' days indeed...

Wish I had the opportunity to go online to get tickets when I was 13. Would have spared me chopping some wood in order to get my Dad to drive me to the city to get tix...

Yeah....spoiled.

I don't think presales owe fans anything. I think its a little deceptive though to force people to get a CITI card or buy an app, thinking they'll get good seats when really its not any better than when the tickets go on-sale to the general public.

Maybe that's just me.

Now was I upset when I had to leave for work and leave the Music Today presale behind? Sure I was. Does that mean I don't like the MT presale? Quite the contrary, I think its great, and if I hadn't left for work, I probably would have bought one of the row 20-25 tickets.

I'm probably going to end up going Ticketmaster Platinum and shelling out quite a bit of cash to get nice seats. I wasn't lucky so that's what I have to do.

I do like how you said no bleeding hearts but then proceeded to talk about having to chop wood to get tickets. It's a nice touch.

Chopping that wood taught me to appreciate what was offered in life and that hard work leads to good things. I am thankful for that. Was good for my health as well...

I was scanning various venues for tickets and there are some really good seats available at most to all of them. Much better seats that the ones I got in the early days.

Sorry, but that is my opinion.

QUOTE (drgrendel @ May 10 2012, 01:08 PM)
Chopping that wood taught me to appreciate what was offered in life and that hard work leads to good things. I am thankful for that. Was good for my health as well...

I was scanning various venues for tickets and there are some really good seats available at most to all of them. Much better seats that the ones I got in the early days.

Sorry, but that is my opinion.

And I take all the hours I can get at work and have saved up quite a bit of money to be able to afford tickets. And I can still only afford to go to one show.

So that's fine that you think I'm spoiled for wanting to get the best out of the one show I can afford. I just don't have the same view of the situation.

Oh my...you really do not see it do you?

I wish you the best in your search for a good ticket.

All I want is a simpler ticket buying experience

Buying a ticket cannot possibly be any simpler. I made my purchase right at 1200 hours and had tickets paid by 12:00.33. Done deal.

Edited by drgrendel