Weird Al fans? or not

BeOhBe Bob

Oh man! A 2 and and a half hour romp thru pop culture for sure, Weird Al style? I had to take the day off, so much crap happens at once, it's a visual and audio assault! But in a good way. He threw out the first pitch for the Akron Aeros baseball (our Cleveland Indians AA affiliate) game Monday night and did an interview with our local news funny man Kenny Crumpton. When Kenny asks him Is there any advice you can give to those people going to your show?

"Yes" with a pause..."Void your bladder it's a long show, no breaks!" He was right.

He's also a "litmus test" to see if she's the right girl for you

It was about 30 years ago I took my first wife ON OUR FIRST REAL DATE to see him at the Hunka Bunka ballroom in Sayreville NJ. No seats...it's a dance hall! So here we are right by the stage, close enough to be sweated and spit on (when his 'P"s popped during singing) by Al. We had a fantastic time...Another one Rides the Bus, My bologna, and I Love Rocky Road. No screens no computers, just lights instruments and madness. 6 months later? Yep wedding bells.

Fast Forward >> 7 years ago, New girlfriend First REAL date? Yeah you guessed it WEIRD AL at the Akron Civic Theater! Yabba Dabba do now, Smells Like Nirvana, and The Saga begins (My my this here Anakin guy). Video screens light shows better sound...even MORE madness! And yep about a year later? wedding bells again...

LAST NIGHT we redid our first date HOLY CRAP this guy just gets better and better! Starts off with a polka redux of pop music hits from rihana to whoever I don' know em...and his new one TMZ done to You Belong to Me from Taylor Swift. And I won't go into any other specifics, but if you're a longtime Al fan? He brings out oldies, dusts em off and slaps your ass with em! (Diane's fave I wanna b ur lvr baby). Al's own material rocks you too!

And last but not least. (Sorry all you Canadians "oot" there) His Canadian Idiot just kicks major ARSE!

Edited by BeOhBe Bob

Weird Al is awesome. I went to a Weird Al concert at the Ohio State Fair in 2007... it was actually like less than a month before my first Rush concert ever. As you can guess, my boyfriend was one of the people in my group. It was the second time I had ever seen him. We were steady 5 months later.

One of my earliest and fondest musical memories is listening to "Amish Paradise" with my friend Ben and dancing and jumping around his room like maniacs.... our other favorites were "Who Let the Dogs Out?" and "Blue (Da Ba Bee)".... man, did we have great taste in music. cool.gif laugh.gif

I gladly admit that I have been a Weird Al fan longer than any other artist i'm into. Pretty much when I saw the video for Eat It when I was a kid I was sold and have loved him ever since. I've seen him four times live and it's always a fun show. I saw him last summer not too long after Alpocalypse came out and it was one of the funniest shows i've ever been to. It's crazy to think that Weird Al is one of the few people in music who does an evening with show.

His stuff for the most part has always been very good and even great at times. I think he's actually gotten better as time has gone on. His last four albums have some of the best stuff he's ever done. Party In The CIA is my favorite off the new album laugh.gif

He's not coming to Houston sad.gif (or else he's already been here and I missed it).

I've liked his stuff since the first album, longer than any artist that I'm currently a fan of, now that I think of it. I haven't kept up with his last couple of albums though, because I find that I have no idea what he's parodying anymore. On his latest, there are 5 parodies... I've heard of only three of the artists, and I can't say I've heard any of the original 5 songs. Says more about me than it does him, I know biggrin.gif

Weird Al is amazing...would have loved to have seen him liv. I saw a tape of a show of his from like 25 years ago and it was hilarious. I can only imagine what he has come up with lately.

BTW check out his version of R Kelly's Trapped In The Closet. It's called Trapped In The drive Thru and it's pretty damn funny.

Used to love it when he would "take over" MTV...always a lot of fun.

Edited by OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 9 2012, 06:59 PM)
He's not coming to Houston sad.gif (or else he's already been here and I missed it).

I've liked his stuff since the first album, longer than any artist that I'm currently a fan of, now that I think of it. I haven't kept up with his last couple of albums though, because I find that I have no idea what he's parodying anymore. On his latest, there are 5 parodies... I've heard of only three of the artists, and I can't say I've heard any of the original 5 songs. Says more about me than it does him, I know biggrin.gif

I'm the same, over the last few albums i've got no clue who he's doing parody's of anymore. But that doesn't hurt my enjoyment of the songs one bit. In fact, I usually look up the original song for the hell of it after I hear his parody so I at least have an idea of what he's poking fun at.

This is off his last album, it's a long one but easily one of the funniest damn songs he's ever rocorded:

I've always wanted to go to a show and never made it happen. I also think he'd do an awesome parody of a Rush song - anyone know if he ever considered it and approached them about it? I suppose they might have refused, but I think with their sense of humor, they'd be honored.

QUOTE (Echoes @ May 10 2012, 12:46 AM)
Weird Al for the R&R Hall of Fame.......inducted the same night as Rush  ph34r.gif

Agreed!

And having had more than 24 hours to digest the show WOW WHATTA RUSH rofl3.gif

We were reeling from it most of the day! we don't know HOW he's done it for so long. HELL he's like 60 and he can carry his accordion, scissor kick over his head like David lee Roth and SING at the same time!

A thought about parodies of songs you never heard before? White n nerdy made me Google white n nerdy when it came out, and huh? Chamillionaire Ridin Dirty You Tube on the search list? ok hit it! and yeah NOW the original song SUCKS (see: All about the Pentiums vs. All About the Benjamins) and made me play White n Nerdy even more, laugh harder...well you know what I mean.

Near the end of the show, he's doing a take (he'll do an original song but in the style of an artist, so the parody isn't a song as much as it is an imitation of an artist) on The Doors! called Craigslist..and it starts off kinda like The End and Riders on the Storm....really low down dirty moody beats do dodo *chop* ditdododo dooo dooo....screamin like Jim effin morrison....wailing on the mic spinning like a mofo, the screen is blazing with acid rock graphics....and then STOP! "An open letter to the barista girl at Angel Falls Coffee shop in Highland Square"...WOW HOLY SHIT he went to where I get coffee when I work at the Walgreens in Highland Square? An Akron neighborhood about a mile up the road from the Civic? We all YELLED and HOOTED...he waits for us to settle down...

"just because I put up a finger (his index finger like #1) and say gimme a second I'm playing words with friends on Facebook on my iPad (which most of those OTHER assholes do! rofl3.gif ) doesn't mean you can be rude and snotty to me!" WE LAUGH OUR ASSES OFF AND SHOUT! Yeah we get it! You're not dissin the girl...it's the other stuck in their own little world f*ckers! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH and the song kicks back in!

And as far as 2.gif parodies? Artists he really respects he won't parody and/or it might be a bit much to handle OR yeah they said no. I can't see the guys saying no to him when they can get on stage with Dave Growl and the Foo Snipers rofl3.gif

Edited by BeOhBe Bob

Absolutely LOVE Weird Al! I was listening to him way back when he first got played on Dr. Demento's radio show. I heard Yoda the first time it was ever played... and the last until Ray Davies finally gave in.

We took our daughter to a Weird Al show as her very fist concert at age 5. Al sat by the stage door and signed autographs for an hour afterward. What a guy!

Then, in 1999, we saw him twice. For the Bellingham show, Bermie (the drummer) got us backstage passes and we got to meet Al again. That was the year both he and I turned 40. I have a great picture of our daughter with Al and even got to give him a hug. We saw him again on the tour in Seattle.

When I saw he was touring again, I immediately went to get tix. I don't recall the company who is handling is pre-sale/VIP packages but Rush should change to them. They had a VIP package for $135 that guaranteed a seat in the first 3 rows along with swag. The next level was $85 for a seat in the first 10 rows. I went with that. Can't wait!!! laugh.gif

Long live Weird Al!!!

QUOTE (BeOhBe Bob @ May 9 2012, 12:10 PM)
Oh man!  A 2 and and a half hour romp thru pop culture for sure, Weird Al style?  I had to take the day off, so much crap happens at once, it's a visual and audio assault!  But in a good way.  He threw out the first pitch for the Akron Aeros baseball  (our Cleveland Indians AA affiliate) game Monday night and did an interview with our local news funny man Kenny Crumpton.  When Kenny asks him Is there any advice you can give to those people going to your show?

"Yes" with a pause..."Void your bladder it's a long show, no breaks!"  He was right.

He's also a "litmus test" to see if she's the right girl for you

It was about 30 years ago I took my first wife ON OUR FIRST REAL DATE to see him at the Hunka Bunka ballroom in Sayreville NJ.  No seats...it's a dance hall!  So here we are right by the stage, close enough to be sweated and spit on (when his 'P"s popped during singing) by Al.  We had a fantastic time...Another one Rides the Bus, My bologna, and I Love Rocky Road.  No screens no computers, just lights instruments and madness. 6 months later?  Yep wedding bells.

Fast Forward >>  7 years ago, New girlfriend  First REAL date? Yeah you guessed it WEIRD AL at the Akron Civic Theater!  Yabba Dabba do now, Smells Like Nirvana, and The Saga begins (My my this here Anakin guy).  Video screens light shows better sound...even MORE madness! And yep about a year later? wedding bells again...

LAST NIGHT we redid our first date HOLY CRAP  this guy just gets better and better! Starts off with a polka redux of pop music hits from rihana to whoever I don' know em...and his new one TMZ done to You Belong to Me from Taylor Swift.  And I won't go into any other specifics, but if you're a longtime Al fan?  He brings out oldies, dusts em off and slaps your ass with em! (Diane's fave I wanna b ur lvr baby).  Al's own material rocks you too!

And last but not least.  (Sorry all you Canadians "oot" there)  His Canadian Idiot just kicks major ARSE!

I see a pattern here.....

laugh.gif

Edited by Alex

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ May 9 2012, 11:36 PM)
I've always wanted to go to a show and never made it happen. I also think he'd do an awesome parody of a Rush song - anyone know if he ever considered it and approached them about it? I suppose they might have refused, but I think with their sense of humor, they'd be honored.

Weird Al would never do a Rush parody because Rush is just too good to do that to and he knows it biggrin.gif Except for Tom Sawyer, Rush has never really been mainstream enough for him to do one. 99 percent of the time Weird Al's paradoy's are better than the originals because he puts a million times more thought into the lyrics than most pop acts do. If he did a Rush parody I don't think he could beat the original song. He would probably do a good job with it though.

To BeOhBe Bob, I don't think Weird Al is 60 yet. I believe he's in his eary 50s. Still, whatever age he is, the man puts a ton of energy into his shows every night with all the costume changes, goofy dancing moves and various other antics him and his band do. Oh yeah, and on top of all that the man sings everything perfectly live. I know he's not an all time great singer or anything but the he deserves props for being able to make his voice work in the large variety of musical styles that he performs.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ May 10 2012, 10:11 AM)
QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ May 9 2012, 11:36 PM)

Weird Al would never do a Rush parody because Rush is just too good to do that to and he knows it biggrin.gif Except for Tom Sawyer, Rush has never really been mainstream enough for him to do one. 99 percent of the time Weird Al's paradoy's are better than the originals because he puts a million times more thought into the lyrics than most pop acts do. If he did a Rush parody I don't think he could beat the original song. He would probably do a good job with it though.

To BeOhBe Bob, I don't think Weird Al is 60 yet . I believe he's in his eary 50s. Still, whatever age he is, the man puts a ton of energy into his shows every night with all the costume changes, goofy dancing moves and various other antics him and his band do. Oh yeah, and on top of all that the man sings everything perfectly live. I know he's not an all time great singer or anything but the he deserves props for being able to make his voice work in the large variety of musical styles that he performs.

right on to everything you said here...and yeah he's gonna be 53 this October!

Well, gosh... I gave a huge hint in my post as to his age. laugh.gif

QUOTE (BeOhBe Bob @ May 11 2012, 06:28 AM)
OHhohoh nohohohooo WE must be married too

I WASN"T LISTENING!

z7shysterical.gif

It's okay... I'm used to it laugh.gif