Headlong Flight Opinions 3 Weeks Later

rushgoober

Ok, we've had Headlong Flight for 3 weeks now. Do you like it more, less or the same as when it first came out?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Ok, we've had Headlong Flight for 3 weeks now. Do you like it more, less or the same as when it first came out?

• It's even better than I originally thought!
    • It's as good as ever.
    • I don't like it quite as much as I thought I did.
    • I haven't listened to it since it came out and I won't again until the album comes out.

I like even more now than the first 5-6 listens. I know every beat, fill, riff, lyric.

I always need a lot of listens to fully engulf myself in some of their more longer pieces. The song is great. And I know the new album is going to be epic.

Edited by Todem

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Merely Space @ May 8 2012, 07:47 AM)
I still enjoy it very much. Oddly, I find it very melodic and catchy. The chorus lingers in my mind after listening, and I find myself humming it.

At first I didn't pick up on the subtle melodies in the song. Like Caravan, it just sounded awkward at first, but now I'm starting to hear it and appreciate it a lot more, just like Caravan!

I love the song that much more now and will continue to enjoy it well after the album's release smile.gif

To me it's just as good as it was when I first started listening to it. About a 7.5 out of 10. (Caravan is a 8.5, and BU2B is an 8)

I'm just so much more used to it now. It doesn't seem as long as it did back then. I'm still not 100% sure about the pre-narration transition which sounds clunky to me, and the guitar solo is too generic, but it definitely has me very excited for the rest of the stuff.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 8 2012, 03:43 PM)
I like it about the same, the big difference is just getting to KNOW the song...anticipating what's next, etc.  The song definitely seems SHORTER to me now.

I have the same process with songs, especially longer ones. It takes me a while to get to know their structure, how the parts fit together, etc. My first few listens to a song elicit a far more emotional gut reaction, but as I deconstruct the song I often gain a deeper appreciation for it.

I have been listening to Headlong Flight at least once a day, often more, and I am loving it more and more. One thing that stands out for me is Geddy's bass. I really like his playing here. And the wah-wah guitar solo from Alex? Chills.

-Jane

2.gif

Now that my internal hype has gone down I still think this is easily one of their best songs since Counterparts (the only competition being Far Cry and Nocturne, but these are just my opinions). I actually find the song quite motivating, so I use it during long study sessions (meaning I listen to it daily).

QUOTE (deslock @ May 12 2012, 07:08 PM)
My first impression was that it's their best lead-off single at least since I became a fan over 25 years ago.

My opinion after 200 listens is even better: It tops Subdivisions and maybe Limelight too.

I think it's their best single since Dreamline anyway. As simple as Dreamline is it remains one of my favorite Rush songs to this day. Most of the reviewers think there are better songs than Headlong Flight to come so I have a feeling we are in for a treat. 653.gif

QUOTE (deslock @ May 12 2012, 07:08 PM)
My first impression was that it's their best lead-off single at least since I became a fan over 25 years ago.

My opinion after 200 listens is even better: It tops Subdivisions and maybe Limelight too.

Wha wha what?

Bold statement sir! I disagree! (Apples & Oranges)

dazed025.gif