I heard it through the grapevine

Motorshooter

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bottom line is this...

If you LOVE CA, then the whole album played in its entirety is awesome.

If you HATE CA, then you'll hate seeing the entire album played.

I don't really understand how anyone can honestly be 100% behind this when you haven't even heard the whole thing yet? Makes no sense.

Do we anticipate it will be good? Sure. Do we know for a fact? Not unless you've heard it all - start to finish, which almost all of us haven't.

Believe me...I am fanboi 101...I love all their material, and I certainly hope it continues with CA. But do we ever really know beforehand? Nope.

To me, as much as I may love CA, I still think the whole thing is too much. Why you ask? Because I already know that they will play Tom Sawyer, TSOR, and other staples I've heard a million times over.

So what does that leave? Hardly any time left for the obscure tunes I'd much rather see! Cut To The Chase, Open Secrets, Something For Nothing, Analog Kid, The Weapon, The Necromancer, Anthem, Time and Motion, Prime Mover, Territories, Middletown Dreams, etc.

Their catelog is TOO vast to be hearing most/all of ANY album. I want a nice mix. No matter how great CA is, 5-6 songs from it would be enough IMO.

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ May 7 2012, 08:50 PM)
Clockwork Angels in its entirety would be freakin' awesome! I hope they go for it...and if this is true I am most definitely relieved they're not playing Signals. Just too many weak songs taking up too much of the setlist

You're crazy Dude. wacko.gif

I agree it was a bit much to play that many songs from S&A on the tour, but S&A didn't tell a story the way CA does...they may want the full story to be played out live...Can you picture them playing Hemispheres without playing Armageddon...or 2112 without playing Soliloquy?

QUOTE (Barry @ May 7 2012, 10:05 PM)
I agree it was a bit much to play that many songs from S&A on the tour, but S&A didn't tell a story the way CA does...they may want the full story to be played out live...Can you picture them playing Hemispheres without playing Armageddon...or 2112 without playing Soliloquy?

Sad thing is that 2112 was played without Soliloquy during the 2112 tour. The whole song wasn't played until 1996-97 Test for Echo tour.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 7 2012, 02:02 PM)
QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ May 7 2012, 10:50 AM)
I still cannot believe how many fans here actually believed they would play all of Signals in the first place. It was never in the least bit credible for a variety of reasons.

Really all people had to go by was the tour book cover. It's amazing how one image could incite that much speculation.

That said, I was inclined to believe it to be true myself, even though it was hard to imagine them pulling off Losing It, even with a tape of Ben Mink's part.

Yeah, Goober, but if by any chance they are touring with a string section. "Losing It" will not be hard to play at all. As would "Tears", "Manhattan Project", Different Strings" and many other songs they've over looked over the years! Hell after reading the complete review of CA, I can even see them playing "Availalble Light", now that they've mentioned a piano solo in one of the tracks! A PIANO SOLO! Did anyone actaully claim they expected that one? Can you imagine that live? The only question is who will be playing the solo? Will it be Geddy or some other guy in the Orchestra? If there even is an Orchestra? I have honestly never been more bewildered by something that RUSH has produced than this upcoming Album and its subsequent tour! For the first time ever, I just don't know what to expect!

confused13.gif

And it's F@cking Great!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

The songs on CA(ones we've heard) lend themselves to being live songs far more than the SnA material thus I don't think it would bog the set list down as much as the string of SnA songs did. I still don't think they should play CA in its entirety though. Their catalog is way too big and too much would get left out.

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ May 7 2012, 07:50 PM)
Clockwork Angels in its entirety would be freakin' awesome! I hope they go for it...and if this is true I am most definitely relieved they're not playing Signals. Just too many weak songs taking up too much of the setlist

Look, I'm all for hearing all of CA Live, but calling Signals Weak is like calling Moving Pictures tame! Signals is not weak by any standards. Any song off signals would be better than the songs they played off S & A during that tour. The only song that compares is Far Cry and Subdivisions and Analog kid both have that beat. The Slowest song on the album which is Losing It is simply awesome! Specially in 5/4 time. So please don't call Signals Weak! There are not Weak 2.gif albums!

no.gif

None!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ May 7 2012, 10:37 PM)
The songs on CA(ones we've heard) lend themselves to being live songs far more than the SnA material thus I don't think it would bog the set list down as much as the string of SnA songs did. I still don't think they should play CA in its entirety though. Their catalog is way too big and too much would get left out.

Yeah but then they could bring them all out for R40 without having to deal so much with Clockwork Angels. Even though i think they're going to be dealing with Clockwork Angels for a long time if its as good as we're being lead to believe!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (losingit2k @ May 7 2012, 08:32 PM)
I still cannot believe how many fans here actually believed they would play all of Signals in the first place. It was never in the least bit credible for a variety of reasons.

Really all people had to go by was the tour book cover. It's amazing how one image could incite that much speculation.

That said, I was inclined to believe it to be true myself, even though it was hard to imagine them pulling off Losing It, even with a tape of Ben Mink's part.

Yeah, Goober, but if by any chance they are touring with a string section. "Losing It" will not be hard to play at all. As would "Tears", "Manhattan Project", Different Strings" and many other songs they've over looked over the years! Hell after reading the complete review of CA, I can even see them playing "Availalble Light", now that they've mentioned a piano solo in one of the tracks! A PIANO SOLO! Did anyone actaully claim they expected that one? Can you imagine that live? The only question is who will be playing the solo? Will it be Geddy or some other guy in the Orchestra? If there even is an Orchestra? I have honestly never been more bewildered by something that RUSH has produced than this upcoming Album and its subsequent tour! For the first time ever, I just don't know what to expect!

confused13.gif

And it's F@cking Great!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

It's hard to take that review at face value. The so-called "piano solo" could be eight seconds long with bass, guitar and drums all over it. Time will tell how the album actually sounds...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 7 2012, 11:12 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ May 7 2012, 08:32 PM)

confused13.gif

And it's F@cking Great!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

It's hard to take that review at face value. The so-called "piano solo" could be eight seconds long with bass, guitar and drums all over it. Time will tell how the album actually sounds...

I understand, but you just have to wonder if it would sound anything like the ending of "Layla" or even the end of "Ready for you Love". Most likely it will sound like like "Available Light" or "Second Nature". But he did say interlude, so I'm expecting something more classical like "Layla".

Like you said, we'll see. I know it will be good though, 'cause it made an impression. He felt strong enough about it to mention it!

yes.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 7 2012, 04:15 PM)
The bottom line is this...

If you LOVE CA, then the whole album played in its entirety is awesome.

If you HATE CA, then you'll hate seeing the entire album played.

I don't really understand how anyone can honestly be 100% behind this when you haven't even heard the whole thing yet? Makes no sense.

Do we anticipate it will be good? Sure. Do we know for a fact? Not unless you've heard it all - start to finish, which almost all of us haven't.

Believe me...I am fanboi 101...I love all their material, and I certainly hope it continues with CA. But do we ever really know beforehand? Nope.

To me, as much as I may love CA, I still think the whole thing is too much. Why you ask? Because I already know that they will play Tom Sawyer, TSOR, and other staples I've heard a million times over.

So what does that leave? Hardly any time left for the obscure tunes I'd much rather see! Cut To The Chase, Open Secrets, Something For Nothing, Analog Kid, The Weapon, The Necromancer, Anthem, Time and Motion, Prime Mover, Territories, Middletown Dreams, etc.

Their catelog is TOO vast to be hearing most/all of ANY album. I want a nice mix. No matter how great CA is, 5-6 songs from it would be enough IMO.

Here are their tours since MP, not counting warm ups. Back in the day, they played almost all of the new albums:

• MP 6/7 (Witch hunt not played until GUP tour)
  • Signals 6-7/8 (Losing It not played, Chemistry dropped near end of tour)
  • GUP 7/8 (all 8 songs played, but never on same night: Kid Gloves replaced Afterimage, and was later dropped)
  • PoW 7/8 (Emotion Detector not played)
When they started recording longer albums with filler (er, "musical variety") and playing fewer new songs live:
  • HYF 6/10
  • Presto 5/11 (6th song, Presto, played on TM tour)
  • RTB 5/11
  • CP 6/10 (7th song, BSAM, played on 1st leg of VT tour)
Then came the extended sets:
  • T4E 6-7/11 (except beginning of tour, Time and Motion and Resist alternated)
  • VT 4/13 (5 new songs played with Ceiling Unlimited and Ghost Rider often alternating)
  • R30 4/8 (Feedback EP)
  • SnA 9/13 (10th song, Faithless, played on TM tour)
  • TM 2/2 (Caravan/BU2B)
With the ~160 minute sets, I'd rather they play new albums in their entirety (even though T4E and VT had a lot of filler). We'd still get 90-100 minutes worth of old songs.
Edited by deslock

If they play the entire album, are we assuming it's in order? Even if I end up loving the album, a consecutive hour of new music would just kill the momentum of the concert. That S&A block was too much.

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ May 8 2012, 07:08 AM)
If they play the entire album, are we assuming it's in order? Even if I end up loving the album, a consecutive hour of new music would just kill the momentum of the concert. That S&A block was too much.

goodpost.gif x1000000

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ May 8 2012, 05:08 AM)

That's certainly your opinion. You're wrong, but you're welcome to it wink.gif

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 8 2012, 07:22 AM)
QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ May 8 2012, 07:08 AM)

goodpost.gif x1000000

Well, consider the original posting,

"Talked with a long time friend, Rush enthusiast and fellow journalist this past weekend. The word coming out of the SRO camp is that this tour is all Clockwork Angles supported with Rush tunes from their past albums. There are no plans to play Signals in its entirety on this tour."

I think that *might* indicate that the story of the album will be helped along with old Rush songs indicating it not being in the order as on the album.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 8 2012, 07:59 AM)

To me, the in order or not debate boils down to how "concepty" (Yay, I just invented a new word!) CA is. I don't mind blocks of new. And if CA has a real strong through line and the songs blend in to one another, then I'd want to hear it as one piece or maybe two. When they played Hemispheres in it's entirety, I don't think it would have worked if they broke it up in to little pieces. On the other hand, if CA is less "concepty" then it wouldn't hurt to spread it through the show and maybe omit some parts.

When I saw the tour book cover featuring the Signals reference, I sort of hoped it was included just to throw everyone off the track. I know it's the 30th anniversary for Signals. However, it's also the 100 year pre-anniversary of 2112. (100 years til 2112.)

Geddy had also mentioned in an interview that he thought it would be cool to do 2112 in it's entirety after having done Moving Pictures the last tour.

Of course, there's really no reason for them to want to throw everyone off the track. I don't think it would change anything or ruin anything if everybody knew that they were going to perform all of 2112 (the entire album not just the title song.) In fact, it possibly would sell more tickets.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 8 2012, 08:59 AM)

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (HeadlongMark @ May 7 2012, 09:36 PM)
This was my thought as they did Moving Pictures in its entirety. All of MP for Time Machine, all of Clockwork Angels to support that tour. Makes sense. If the casual fans don't like it, too bad. Us fanatical fans will.

Has anyone thought that the reason for releasing CA 3 months before the tour is so we can absorb and digest it. Cause it will be presented in its entirety. Which brings me to my next thought!

Maybe the 3 months release is to gain feedback from the fans to determine weather to play the album in its entirety or not!

confused13.gif

Right now they are 3 for 3 in my book and has me very inclined to hear the enitire album Live. Besides this might mean they would bring along a string section and a possible live presentation of:

LOSING IT!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif