Attempting To Get Tour Autographs

TheY2k

Last year I hurd that Neil once said in one of his books that "if you send items to the venue they are playing at they will sign it and send it back". After the time machine tour ended I was determened to get my A Farewell To Kings vinyl album signed aswell as a Guitar Pickguard. Does anyone have any advice to making this happen? I know if you send it you say "ATTENTION RUSH/RUSH MANAGMENT" and have a pre-addresses pachage so they can return it back pre-addressed. Does anyone have any other advice, tips, or secrets I could know? What venues defently will and what venues that won't!

Please help!

Brent

Adding on to this, does rush ever use a tour bus? Because I know it's possible to kinda intercept the band between the back of the venue and the tour bus, if they use one...

If you choose to send an item to a venue here are a few rules to follow.

1. Send it far enough in advance to make sure it arrives before the day of the show, but not too far in advance that it gets tossed in a pile at the venue and forgotten about.

2. Be willing to lose whatever you send to the venue. There is no guarantee it will be returned to you, signed or not.

3. Don't send anything of significant value (re: rule 2)

4. A brief note is cool but don't write a chapter.

5. Remember, it's a crapshoot. You might win, you might lose.

6. Read rule #2 a few more times before you send off your item.

and finally.

7. Don't forget to include your return address!!!!

edit: I forgot to add that a SASE with proper postage is a realllly good idea.

Edited by Snaked

yeah i sent a stamped addressed envelope and a biro to the uk sheffield arena on the roll the bones tour, together with a very short synopsis of a dream i'd had the night before and got it sent back with neil's autograph and a short personal message

its still, and always will be, one of if not THE, most treasured possession i have.... was awesome when it arrived in the post and i still occasionally look at it now and think 'wow man Neil Peart wrote that for me'

totally awesome

Edited by lifeson90

I mailed my book about a week before the show. I sent it with a prepaid return address envelope . It was returned to me about a week after the show, i really did not believe Neil would sign it, but he did. It does work, good luck 1022.gif

p.s.

I put Att- Neil Peart / Rush

Absolutely! I'm going to bring a pad, write (For Alex) on the front page, circulate it across the front row, aquiring everyones signature! Then I'm going to systematically hunt them down during 2013 shooting each and everyone listed on the pad in their Temples 21 times with a 12 millimeter pistol. Like this, they can't get front row on the R40 Tour, improving my chances!

admin.gif

I'm crazy you say? wacko.gif fing.gif

Perhaps, but by writing this down now, here, I'll have an alibi for later!

"I've been framed your honor!" Anyone at TRF could have read this and committed these heinous crimes!

cool.gif

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 5 2012, 10:54 AM)
I mailed my book about a week before the show. I sent it with a prepaid return address envelope . It was returned to me about a week after the show, i really did not believe Neil would sign it, but he did. It does work, good luck 1022.gif
p.s.

Wow, is it really that easy? I have to try this biggrin.gif

But hmm.. what to send..

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ May 5 2012, 05:40 PM)
I mailed my book about a week before the show. I sent it with a prepaid  return address envelope . It was returned to me about a week after the show, i really did not believe Neil would sign it, but he did. It does work, good luck 1022.gif 
p.s.

But hmm.. what to send..

I'm sure you guys think differently then me, but for me an autograph isn't really special unless I met the person that signed it. If I just sent in something to the venue and got it back with three signitures it would be cool yeah, but it wouldn't have the magic to me that it would have if I had met the person, so then it would seem much more personal, that autograph was meant for ME, not my name on a list of paper. confused13.gif confused13.gif confused13.gif

I was thinking of just printing out one of my favorite pictures of the band on good photograph-quality paper and sending it in with a short letter, hoping for autographs in return. I'd be completely satisfied with that tongue.gif

I don't care for autographed stuff myself but I can reiterate the importance, previously stated above, of BEING WILLING TO LOSE YOUR STUFF IN TRANSIT. A friend of mine never got something of his back after he sent it to a venue.

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ May 5 2012, 05:40 PM)
I mailed my book about a week before the show. I sent it with a prepaid  return address envelope . It was returned to me about a week after the show, i really did not believe Neil would sign it, but he did. It does work, good luck 1022.gif 
p.s.

But hmm.. what to send..

Yes, it was that easy

Your right! Autographs mean more when you actually meet the person and see him signing your personal item.

But if your sitting in the audience...YOUR THERE! So i would appriciate an autograph like that also!

tongue.gif

2.gif

QUOTE (Chicken hawk @ May 6 2012, 12:09 PM)
Your right! Autographs mean more when you actually meet the person and see him signing your personal item.
But if your sitting in the audience...YOUR THERE! So i would appriciate an autograph like that also!

tongue.gif

2.gif

I agree 100% but there's just one detail missing. They only mean more if the experience was a good one. Michael Dorn signed my copy of season 4 of Star Trek DS9 (this is the first season he makes an appearance). The box is now hidden in a cupboard separate from the other seasons because of how much of an ass he was. I don't have the heart to sell/use/give it away because he did in fact sign it, but at the same time I want to send the disc back to him in 50 pieces where one of them is his signature.

If I happened to meet them in a pub then talked over some beers, that would mean something to me. M&G feel too forced for my taste. I totally understand how exciting that still can be, but it's just not my thing. [sigh] Where's my thing?

Someone sent a new Roland drumhead for Neil to sign. Neil did one better - sent the fan one of the used drumheads from his kit, signed of course. Very thoughtful.

QUOTE (Mara @ May 7 2012, 10:08 AM)
Someone sent a new Roland drumhead for Neil to sign. Neil did one better - sent the fan one of the used drumheads from his kit, signed of course. Very thoughtful.

But... But... I thought Neil was supposed to be a jerk...

QUOTE (Merely Space @ May 7 2012, 10:41 AM)
QUOTE (Mara @ May 7 2012, 10:08 AM)
Someone sent a new Roland drumhead for Neil to sign.  Neil did one better - sent the fan one of the used drumheads from his kit, signed of course.  Very thoughtful.

But... But... I thought Neil was supposed to be a jerk...

SHHHHH! He might read this.

QUOTE (Snaked @ May 5 2012, 08:13 AM)
If you choose to send an item to a venue here are a few rules to follow.

1. Send it far enough in advance to make sure it arrives before the day of the show, but not too far in advance that it gets tossed in a pile at the venue and forgotten about.

2. Be willing to lose whatever you send to the venue. There is no guarantee it will be returned to you, signed or not.

3. Don't send anything of significant value (re: rule 2)

4. A brief note is cool but don't write a chapter.

5. Remember, it's a crapshoot. You might win, you might lose.

6. Read rule #2 a few more times before you send off your item.

and finally.

7. Don't forget to include your return address!!!!

edit: I forgot to add that a SASE with proper postage is a realllly good idea.

I would add to this, that you address it to Liam Birt, tour manager.

That way the person in the mail room at the arena may think that it's actually something important (not to imply that your COS Gatefold LP isn't important). smile.gif

I've done it three times.

The first, I got nothing back (sent an R30 Tour Book).

The 2nd time I got the S&A CD booklet you see in my profile.

The 3rd time I sent 2112 (with a silver sharpie) and Signals (with instructions to make it out to my brother). They did everything perfectly and even returned the silver sharpie.

That's why they rule.