Words or terms you have added to your vocabulary

SchemingDemon

There are a few words that I did not know the definition of before (and while) listening to Rush, and since then I have looked them up and added some new words to my vocabulary.

Dirge (a funeral song or tune, or one expressing mourning in commemoration of the dead)

Asunder (into separate parts; in or into pieces)

Cathode (the electrode or terminal by which current leaves an electrolytic cell, voltaic cell, battery, etc)

I'm sure there's some more, but these are the three that I specifically remember.

How has Rush expanded your vocabulary?

cat.gif

Edited to include terms added to your vocabulary

Edited by SchemingDemon

I had never heard the term "vapor trail" before discovering the album.

I know there are others.... unfortunately I'm feeling a little brain-dead right now. wacko.gif

back when I was 13 and listening to Natural Science, hearing terms like "ebbing tide", "spiral array", "microcosmic planets", and "tidal pools" really blew my mind. I probably don't really use those terms in my daily life but I sing 'em occasionally when rockin' out to that song.

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ May 3 2012, 05:50 PM)
QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ May 3 2012, 06:42 PM)
Be-bop or a one drop or a hip hop lite pop metallist

Running dog revisionist? tongue.gif

Hindu, Muslim, Catholic, creation/evolutionist?

No, I knew all those beforehand.

Well, I don't mean to sound like a snob or anything, but I DO write a column about words. So, none, really. But I love that I can hear words in Rush songs that very few use. One of the things I love about them! wub.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 3 2012, 08:43 PM)
I had never heard of a By-Tor before Rush. no.gif

That gets a win!

Spindrift: the spray from a boat

Spindrift is also one of the colors on the Microsoft Office for Mac palette, along with Honeydew, Mercury, and Steel. Just a coincidence? hmmmm.

Draw another goblet

From the cask of '43

Crimson misty memory

Hazy glimpse of me

...I try to use it at least once a day tongue.gif

QUOTE (Merely Space @ May 4 2012, 09:41 AM)
Earthshine

Barchetta

+1 Good ones! Forgot about those.

This is a joke right ?

So Far So Good......

Middle Aged Madonna....

Hold Your Head above the Crowds, don't let them Bring you Down...

You Don't get Something for Nothing, You can't have Freedom for Free.

(and while at work)......That's Why the call me....They call me the Workin Man....I guess that's what I am.........

Keeping in mind that I first got into Rush when I was 15 or 16-years-old, there were plenty of words in their songs that I wasn't already using... and that I then started to use. I can't think of them exactly, but I know they're there. (I know "norm" is one. I didn't know what that meant exactly; I only had a guess based on the context in which it was used. My assumption about its meaning was correct.)

Phrases is another thing. I've repeated phrases from their songs - a certain series of words in a certain order - and I've seen others on the board do it. And not always intentionally, like we're "quoting" the lyrics; I'm talking about Neil's words seeping into our subconcious and then one of his phrases comes out of our mouths, exactly the way he wrote it. (How about "underlying theme" as one example of this? Before Rush, had any of us said those two words together? No, and yet we probably have since.)

Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.

The only other French word I know is 'merde'.

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 4 2012, 10:03 AM)
This is a joke right ?

Well that wasn't my intention, but that's what it appears.

On a somewhat serious note though, I forgot to mention the phrase "handle with kid gloves." I had never heard that used before, so I had to look it up. And ever since, I've been hearing the phrase a LOT. Funny how that is.

Also, this is sort of silly, but the line from Mission "they would likely have gladly exchanged them.." has also sort of altered the way I speak sometimes. I like how the sentenced is structured, so now I find myself using the word 'likely' in a similar fashion.

And what Geddyrulz said about the word norm- I had to write a short essay on social deviance, and I think I used the phrase "deviate from the norm," about 5 or 6 times without even thinking about it biggrin.gif

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ May 4 2012, 08:23 PM)
I forgot to mention the phrase "handle with kid gloves." I had never heard that used before, so I had to look it up. And ever since, I've been hearing the phrase a LOT. Funny how that is.

I definitely didn't know what "handle with kid gloves" meant, before and even immediately after the song came out. I didn't know that was a common idiom; I thought Neil made it up. Even the song title "Kid Gloves" seemed weird to me. Seeing it printed on the record jacket, I was like, "Kid Gloves"? What kind of song is that? What will THAT sound like and be about??

I should say that Neil's lyrics definitely improved the vocabulary of the teenage me, and got me reading and researching the literary references. That's a good legacy for him to have - that he got kids to read and learn. It's like what Sebastian Bach said in the documentary: Not many bands send a 12-year-old to the bookstore to read The Fountainhead. "Goddamn, this band has got me all fired-up about literature!" laugh.gif When I was in my early twenties and working at a bookstore at Christmastime, a mother came into the store looking for Anthem. As I was ringing up the sale, I couldn't resist telling her that a rock band I liked had recorded an album based on the book. She then said that the book was a gift for her teenage son, who had started reading a lot of such books since discovering Rush. She couldn't have been happier about the change in her son, that he was READING! Again, what a legacy for Neil to have: getting kids to read.

Edited by GeddyRulz