Tweet from Classic Prog Rock

HeadlongMark

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (HeadlongMark @ May 3 2012, 03:18 PM)
ClassicRockProg ‏ @ProgMagazineUK
Seven Cities Of Gold destined to be a new Rush classic. Riffmungous fare. Amid an album full of bristling brilliance...

Um, yeah, I'm getting excited now.

Sounds like METAL!

1022.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 3 2012, 09:20 PM)
Seven Cities Of Gold destined to be a new Rush classic. Riffmungous fare. Amid an album full of bristling brilliance...

Sounds like METAL!

1022.gif

Dream on

I totally lost $5 on the ring toss game at the Riffmungus Fair.

Ha!

And, just to keep things in perspective, here . . . you mean, the magazine that has a promotional tie in to the new album's release is promoting the album and giving it good reviews? Whoa. This is my shocked face.

The new album and Seven Cities in particular may kick righteous ass. But, I don't think the commentary from anyone with a financial incentive should lend it any more credibility than what's been reported so far.

QUOTE (Rush-O-Matic @ May 3 2012, 03:34 PM)

Ha!

And, just to keep things in perspective, here . . . you mean, the magazine that has a promotional tie in to the new album's release is promoting the album and giving it good reviews? Whoa. This is my shocked face.

The new album and Seven Cities in particular may kick righteous ass. But, I don't think the commentary from anyone with a financial incentive should lend it any more credibility than what's been reported so far.

I thought the same thing too regarding the fact that they are helping sell that fan pack. But c'mon, lets give them a little credit. Why tweet it if they really didn't feel that way? I'm not trying to be a fan boy, I'm just generally excited about this CD from a band that I've loved for over 30 years. Why does everyone has to be so cynical?

Edited by HeadlongMark

QUOTE (Tony R @ May 3 2012, 03:25 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ May 3 2012, 09:20 PM)

Sounds like METAL!

1022.gif

Dream on

I dream in black and white and METAL!

1022.gif

QUOTE (HeadlongMark @ May 3 2012, 03:41 PM)
Why does everyone has to be so cynical?

Years of practice?

Ha! Seriously, though, I hope the new album is fantastic. I am a hopeless fanboi, and enjoy everything they put out. But I have come to recognize that when it comes to Rush music, people's opinions are absolutely so far all over the place, I am hesitant to put stock in any comments like those.

To wit: I quite enjoy SnA, and think there a couple gems on there. I happen to like WTA, TMMB, Hope, parts of TWTWB and The Larger Bowl. But, I think Bravest Face and Good News First suck . . . and suck hard. And, that the album should have been trimmed of filler like that.

Yet, very quickly, other Rush fans - and not the casual fan, mind you, but die hard fans - will tell you that Bravest Face is their favorite song on the album and tLB is terrible. confused13.gif

So, maybe it's not cynicism, per se. I'm just trying to temper the excitement to keep from having any preconceived ideas of songs that will likely be completely different from my own.

QUOTE (Rush-O-Matic @ May 3 2012, 02:19 PM)
Why does everyone has to be so cynical?

Years of practice?

Ha! Seriously, though, I hope the new album is fantastic. I am a hopeless fanboi, and enjoy everything they put out. But I have come to recognize that when it comes to Rush music, people's opinions are absolutely so far all over the place, I am hesitant to put stock in any comments like those.

To wit: I quite enjoy SnA, and think there a couple gems on there. I happen to like WTA, TMMB, Hope, parts of TWTWB and The Larger Bowl. But, I think Bravest Face and Good News First suck . . . and suck hard. And, that the album should have been trimmed of filler like that.

Yet, very quickly, other Rush fans - and not the casual fan, mind you, but die hard fans - will tell you that Bravest Face is their favorite song on the album and tLB is terrible. confused13.gif

So, maybe it's not cynicism, per se. I'm just trying to temper the excitement to keep from having any preconceived ideas of songs that will likely be completely different from my own.

I'm skeptical, but only because we've already heard 3 songs from the album - one I didn't like at all, one I thought was ok, and one I thought was very good. Now, it may be, and I certainly hope, that for some reason they decided not to release their best work first on the album, but based on what I've heard so far, it's hard to be overly optimistic.

Also, other people's opinions and descriptions, while interesting, often have nothing to do with my own experience listening, so I have to take what others say with somewhat of a grain of salt until I hear it for myself.

That said, I'd be lying if statements like the tweet in this thread didn't give me SOME excitement, but I definitely try to keep that in check and deal with reality and not hype.

QUOTE (Rush-O-Matic @ May 3 2012, 03:34 PM)

Ha!

I thought the same thing too regarding the fact that they are helping sell that fan pack. But c'mon, lets give them a little credit. Why tweet it if they really didn't feel that way? I'm not trying to be a fan boy, I'm just generally excited about this CD from a band that I've loved for over 30 years. Why does everyone has to be so cynical?

I am new to this forum also, and have been more than a little shocked at the negativity. Poor Rush, even their fans are hard on them! Hope they never read this stuff.

However, the different perspectives are also interesting and enlightening, even if I don't ultimately agree with them. Just be confident in what you like and don't let any one here dampen that enthusiasm!

I wub.gif every Rush album, from 2.gif to S&A and am totally stoked about the new album and still love HF after dozens of hearings.

cheer.gif 1022.gif cheer.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (blending strings @ May 3 2012, 08:25 PM)
Hey, Animate, I could not agree more. Thoroughly enjoying every listen of HF and very happy they continue to come out with albums. Sincerely, rush fan since tour of the partial hemispheres, 1979 at Comiskey Park.

We can start a "Why is CA so rocking" cheer.gif cheer.gif thread when it comes out, as an alternative to the forum standard thread called "Just look at these waveforms!! Why I am so disappointed, yet again, in the poor production of the new album, angry.gif "

QUOTE (Animate @ May 3 2012, 08:33 PM)
QUOTE (blending strings @ May 3 2012, 08:25 PM)
Hey, Animate, I could not agree more.  Thoroughly enjoying every listen of HF and very happy they continue to come out with albums.  Sincerely, rush fan since tour of the partial hemispheres, 1979 at Comiskey Park.

We can start a "Why is CA so rocking" cheer.gif cheer.gif thread when it comes out, as an alternative to the forum standard thread called "Just look at these waveforms!! Why I am so disappointed, yet again, in the poor production of the new album, angry.gif "

Be prepared, it's going to be much, much worse when CA is released. eh.gif

I was a lurker here when S&A was released, and the haters were out in full force. rage.gif They always work overtime when there's any big new Rush event like an album, DVD, or setlist. fing.gif

I'll be definitely be taken a week or two break from the forum when CA is released (or leaked) so I can evaluate the album on my own, without all the shouting voices trying to throw me off my course. tongue.gif

I'm ready for a new RUSH Classic! Even though I already felt Far Cry, Caravan and now Headlong Flight were already new RUSH Classics.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Edited by losingit2k

I'm stoked for the album as well, but honestly wouldn't put stock in anything that comes out of peoples minds. Just wait until the album comes out.. I love all Rush songs, but strongly disagree with what alot of people have to say about the band, either good or bad.

QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ May 3 2012, 10:15 PM)
I'm stoked for the album as well, but honestly wouldn't put stock in anything that comes out of peoples minds. Just wait until the album comes out.. I love all Rush songs, but strongly disagree with what alot of people have to say about the band, either good or bad.

goodpost.gif

I am SO excited for this record to come out, I have a feeling we are in for something very special. The first three singles were great, and I would prefer for Rush to not try to "emulate" any specific period of their musical history, I want them to continually push their sound to the limit and give us music that is brilliant, modern and thought-provoking. I am extremely proud to be a Rush fan.

QUOTE (limeloaf @ May 3 2012, 10:40 PM)
I am SO excited for this record to come out, I have a feeling we are in for something very special. The first three singles were great, and I would prefer for Rush to not try to "emulate" any specific period of their musical history, I want them to continually push their sound to the limit and give us music that is brilliant, modern and thought-provoking. I am extremely proud to be a Rush fan.

goodpost.gif applaudit.gif trink39.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif