Headlong Flight

Phantom

Which bandmembers playing ( on Headlong Flight ) impresses you the most?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Which bandmembers playing ( on Headlong Flight ) impresses you the most?

• Geddy
    • Alex
    • Neil
    • I'm equally impressed by each band members playing on HLF

It's close beween Geddy and Neil on this song. But in the end Geddy is a beast on HF.

Insane bass runs/lines and his vocals soar!

Alex is solid. Nothing that makes me shiver yet. It is a good solid old school Alex performance. So far through 3 songs I am hearing Alex lay down a wall of gibson goodness. I am waiting for the melodic, hair raising inducing, detailed phrasing solos and rhythm work he has spoiled us with for the last 35 years. My hope is on many other cuts we will get his signature guitar work and some more spacing between Geddy, and himself.

Neil sounds amazing on HF. A bombastic performance. He is hitting his skins hard, and playing off his snare like a maven. I love when he does that. He is a master playing off his snare.

They all impressed me equally, Neil's drumming is top notch, Geddy's bass and vocals are extraordinary and Alex's guitar is once again in the kicking serious @ss. It's truly RUSH at their best!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Very far from their best playing, but Neil I think stands out a bit more than the other 2. He definitely has the more difficult parts of the 3 with all the fill work. Geddy and Alex arent doing anything difficult so Neil has this one in the bag.

I think Neil displays a good combination of raw power and technical chops here so I'll give him the nod. All the same, I thought there were some missed opportunities within the song where he could've thrown in more fills.

EDIT: The straight snare triplets at 2:15 also bug me to death. Really, dude? That's the best you could come up with there?

Edited by NYM86

This is easy for me. Geddy. The bass is way out front and rockin'. I especially like the opening bit, and the bass playing which comes shortly after the "Satanic" voice.

All are great. Neil is just tearing it up. Some of Geddy's best bass playing since Leave That Thing Alone, IMO. Alex is fine too. Nothing too complex for him, but very solid just the same. If there was a least of the three on the song, it's him...but that's only because the other two stand out so much.

I voted for Peart by the narrowest margin.

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (trenken @ May 2 2012, 06:52 AM)
Very far from their best playing, but Neil I think stands out a bit more than the other 2. He definitely has the more difficult parts of the 3 with all the fill work. Geddy and Alex arent doing anything difficult so Neil has this one in the bag.

Dude. Not about difficult. It's about sound and soul.

Geddys bass playing on this song cooks. No it's not hard to play for a seasoned player, but it just oozes thickness, balls and soul. His bass playing thus far on Caravan and HF reminds me of pre Grace Under Pressure. When he had that thick distincitive sound. I love his work post Signals as well. Much more jazz like and a softer approach. But for my money sonically his very best was Hemispheres - Signals.

And the most important factor is the composition of it. Yeah there are plenty of guys in the world who can play this stuff......but how about writing the songs? Ahhhhhh that is where Rush show's their genuis. They are great song writers as well as players.

Edited by Todem

QUOTE (Todem @ May 2 2012, 10:37 AM)
it just oozes thickness, balls and soul.

Ew, that's gross.

QUOTE (Lerxster @ May 2 2012, 06:05 AM)
It's close, but I'd have to say Neil gets the nod. He is insane on this song. I suggest he has never played harder, ever, on a record.

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif NeilFinal.gif notworthy.gif

I disagree. It's a fine performance by Neil, to be sure, but it's nowhere near his best. To me, you would have to start with Hemispheres as an example of Neil at his finest.

Neil - His Balls are back 1022.gif

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 2 2012, 06:26 PM)
it just oozes thickness, balls and soul.

Ew, that's gross.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Lerxster @ May 2 2012, 06:05 AM)
It's close, but I'd have to say Neil gets the nod. He is insane on this song. I suggest he has never played harder, ever, on a record.

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif NeilFinal.gif notworthy.gif

cool10.gif

Pretty much anything from 2112 to Hold Your Fire would like to have a word with you.

I'd imagined that this one would be between Ged and Neil, but didn't think it would be this close, and didn't think Ged would take it.

To me, it's Neil's work that jumps right out at me, throughout the song. He's setting a blistering pace almost throughout....

Mind you, I LOVE that Ged slide at the 6:29 mark..... Simple, but oh so cool sounding....

QUOTE (trenken @ May 2 2012, 06:52 AM)

Dude. Not about difficult. It's about sound and soul.

Geddys bass playing on this song cooks. No it's not hard to play for a seasoned player, but it just oozes thickness, balls and soul. His bass playing thus far on Caravan and HF reminds me of pre Grace Under Pressure. When he had that thick distincitive sound. I love his work post Signals as well. Much more jazz like and a softer approach. But for my money sonically his very best was Hemispheres - Signals.

And the most important factor is the composition of it. Yeah there are plenty of guys in the world who can play this stuff......but how about writing the songs? Ahhhhhh that is where Rush show's their genuis. They are great song writers as well as players.

I knew trenken would chime in to bash their playing in this thread. He never passes up an opportunity.

Someday I'd like to hear clips of trenken's own bass playing and singing, which he's mentioned a few times. eh.gif

Going with Neil. The drumming hasn't been too memorable on the last couple of albums, so it's nice to hear some classic Professor.