Raise your hand if you've heard all of CA

Gedneil Alpeart

QUOTE (likeclockwork @ May 2 2012, 09:46 PM)
The melodic songs are genuinely GOOD. They're just modern sounding, not throwbacks. The Garden is one of the best and most inspired pieces of music I've heard from the band in many years. It's very much a fitting album closer and sounds totally like the final chapter in a concept story. It has a theatrical feel. Overall this is a very strong album with a lot of variety - much much much stronger than the past couple. Whether you love it or not, it's really quality and the songs have a lot of depth.

(For whomever questioned whether I've heard it - I've quoted lyrics from Halo Effect & The Garden in past posts so feel free to check back in June for your answer).

I believe you. You sound legit. I am excited by what you are saying. Nevermind the skeptics. Sounds likev thr songs are well written, just like before. I assume that The Garden hascstrings in it, right, based on your theatrical description? Cant wait! 653.gif

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 2 2012, 01:42 PM)
When heavy and good become synonyms, wake me.

Everything Rush wrote was heavy. They just neglected to use heavy effects on their instruments and amps during recording. Broonsy forgot to use the octave divider for Rivendell on Ged's voice to get that evil beast sound. Rivendell good have been good.

Edited by Gompers

The melodic songs are genuinely GOOD. They're just modern sounding, not throwbacks. The Garden is one of the best and most inspired pieces of music I've heard from the band in many years. It's very much a fitting album closer and sounds totally like the final chapter in a concept story. It has a theatrical feel. Overall this is a very strong album with a lot of variety - much much much stronger than the past couple. Whether you love it or not, it's really quality and the songs have a lot of depth.

(For whomever questioned whether I've heard it - I've quoted lyrics from Halo Effect & The Garden in past posts so feel free to check back in June for your answer).

Awesome, thanks so much for your updates. I really appreciate what you have to say because I think we have similar expectations for the album, and your pre-release review of HF was spot-on. I know you're probably tired of the questions, and you probably want to be careful about how much you give away, but I'm wondering if you'd be willing to comment on the album's instrumentals (if there are any), or expand upon your feelings on the one track you don't care for. Thanks!

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ May 2 2012, 12:54 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 2 2012, 11:42 AM)
When heavy and good become synonyms, wake me.

For you and me, we agree. laugh.gif

But for a lot of people who listen to rock a song simply can't be good if it's not also heavy. That's the minimum starting point for them. Just like there's also a subset of fans for whom everything must be at least a certain speed to be any good. Like I said before, that's perfectly fine and people should listen to what they like, I was just making the point that a very large part of the potential audience for the new Rush album has those conditions/expectations and they won't be met based on what we now know.

Here, I just went and pulled a good example of someone who's excited about the new album on youtube. This sentiment is all over the place about the new song.

Loving the new album....some albums I just like. REALLY cool to get some new Rush that is best listened to cranked to 11 like some of the ollllld stuff. If you don't like the new stuff, most likely you would have turned off the old stuff that secured their place in rock. If it's not your style that's fine....but if you don't like rock set to KICK ASS, shut your pie hole and let us have our eargasm! This album is going to be BADASS!

This person and all the ones like him don't give a crap about how good a song might be if it's not KICK ASS and BADASS and you can't crank it to 11. As far as they're concerned that's what all "good" Rush is. And there are a lot of people like that.

I just got out of high school with people like that about a year ago. It drives me crazy.

No super fast double bass? Sucks.

No breakdowns? Sucks.

No shredding solo? Sucks.

No odd time signatures? Sucks.

No screaming like a demon into the mic? Sucks.

Under 200 bpm? Sucks.

Any softer/slower moments? Gay.

Written before 2000? Sucks.

Oy..

They have a mental checklist and if every box isn't checked, they don't like the song. Does anyone LISTEN to music anymore or do they run through a checklist to decide if they like it or not?

Edited by Gilbertk

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ May 2 2012, 12:54 PM)
This person and all the ones like him don't give a crap about how good a song might be if it's not KICK ASS and BADASS and you can't crank it to 11. As far as they're concerned that's what all "good" Rush is. And there are a lot of people like that.

What do they fast forward the Tidal Pools section of Natural Science too? ohmy.gif

The melodic songs are genuinely GOOD.  They're just modern sounding, not throwbacks.  The Garden is one of the best and most inspired pieces of music I've heard from the band in many years.  It's very much a fitting album closer and sounds totally like the final chapter in a concept story.  It has a theatrical feel.  Overall this is a very strong album with a lot of variety - much much much stronger than the past couple.  Whether you love it or not, it's really quality and the songs have a lot of depth. 

ALEX WE LOVE YOU!!!!!

Naw really, if it's him he's awesome and deserves to hear it again biggrin.gif

Edited by Del_Duio

Whatever the album sounds like, Im sure its worth the wait. My neighbor who lives 100 yards away from me knows Headlong flight now, not by being invited to hear it. Cant beat a loud surround sound system.

Honeslty, like every other new Rush album, it takes me a bit to absorb it.

HF is growing on me big time.

Raises the cask 1022.gif

tkr

I have a feeling that "likeclockwork" needs to be very careful with his/her comments. At this point, its my belief that anyone who has had access to the songs can be tracked down. I think "likeclockwork" may be a writer for a guitar magazine or a friend of someone who is a writer. If he/she reveals too much, it might jeopardize them ever getting an early copy in the future.

If that it isn't the case, then I've got some questions I'd like answered. If you're able to oblige, I'd appreciate it.

IMO, what made Rush great was their ability to write interesting music. The guys seemed to really concentrate on composition. The musicianship has always been there. However, with the exception of very few songs over the past 20 something years, the songs just don't leave much to the imagination.

They also seem to be in such a "rush" (sorry for the pun) or hurry within the song. I'd like to know if there are any songs that you've heard on CA that seem to just flow and are paced without a worry of losing the listener's interest. Can the music tell the story of the song without having lyrics?

Could I have made that more difficult to understand ? Any comments are appreciated.

Edited by anchorman

QUOTE (likeclockwork @ May 2 2012, 08:46 PM)

You've said a few days ago you've heard "most" of the album. Are you talking more like 7 songs or more like 10 or 11? In other words, we really appreciate what you're giving us but is there still a pretty large chunk of it that even you haven't heard or do you feel like you've heard 90-95% of it? Because it might make a difference in terms of the balance of the types of songs we might expect. The songs you haven't heard could be even more mellow than what you've described or they could be the heaviest stuff on the album, either possibility could dramatically change the overall feel of the record from what you now know.

...don't know why anyone would expect a full out heavy and/or metal album. I think they've only done that more or less twice.. debut album and Hemispheres.

Hemispheres? Really? It's not heavier than Fly by Night. I don't even think it's heavier than 2112. I remember reading about the debut of Hemispheres and fans, although mostly receptive, thought it was a real departure from their rock sound.

QUOTE (Majestyk @ May 3 2012, 12:33 PM)
...don't know why anyone would expect a full out heavy and/or metal album. I think they've only done that more or less twice.. debut album and Hemispheres.

Hemispheres? Really? It's not heavier than Fly by Night. I don't even think it's heavier than 2112. I remember reading about the debut of Hemispheres and fans, although mostly receptive, thought it was a real departure from their rock sound.

Fly By Night contains the 5 minute Rivendell, probably the sweetest gentlest Elf-loving (or otherwise) tune Rush ever put to tape. It immediately disqualifies FBN being considered as heavy and/or metal Rush album. Hemespheres pretty much rocks hard and heavy all the way through. 2112 has the beautiful Tears.

laugh.gif smile.gif

I have not heard any additional songs, but I have a friend who is a Professional Recording Engineer and has certain connections. He has heard 5-6 songs. He doesn't care much for the vocals - described them as "predictable". However, he did mention one song he likes which he describes as "Bluesy with an extended solo from Lerxst." We shall see...

QUOTE (cygnify @ May 3 2012, 08:27 PM)
I have not heard any additional songs, but I have a friend who is a Professional Recording Engineer and has certain connections. He has heard 5-6 songs. He doesn't care much for the vocals - described them as "predictable". However, he did mention one song he likes which he describes as "Bluesy with an extended solo from Lerxst." We shall see...

I'll bet you a dollar there is no song like that on the album.

QUOTE (Tony R @ May 3 2012, 02:33 PM)
I have not heard any additional songs, but I have a friend who is a Professional Recording Engineer and has certain connections.  He has heard 5-6 songs.  He doesn't care much for the vocals - described them as "predictable".  However, he did mention one song he likes which he describes as "Bluesy with an extended solo from Lerxst."  We shall see...

Sounds like he was listening to Snakes and Arrows and the bluesy song was The Way The Wind Blows. But Tony R. sounds like he just loves to post hate towards Rush so I take this with a huge grain of salt.

QUOTE (Tony R @ May 3 2012, 02:33 PM)
I have not heard any additional songs, but I have a friend who is a Professional Recording Engineer and has certain connections.  He has heard 5-6 songs.  He doesn't care much for the vocals - described them as "predictable".  However, he did mention one song he likes which he describes as "Bluesy with an extended solo from Lerxst."  We shall see...

There was one on S&A, so why not CA?