Raise your hand if you've heard all of CA

Gedneil Alpeart

QUOTE (likeclockwork @ May 7 2012, 09:52 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ May 7 2012, 09:36 PM)
QUOTE (cygnify @ May 7 2012, 07:51 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ May 7 2012, 04:51 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ May 3 2012, 05:10 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ May 3 2012, 11:03 PM)
QUOTE (cygnify @ May 3 2012, 04:58 PM)
The Garden.

I don't believe your facts are true. Likeclockwork said The Garden sounds nothing like what you describe and I really do think he's legit. He knew the lyrics to Headlong Flight way before anybody on here had even heard the song. He described The Garden as being a beautiful, melodic song with a theatrical feel.

Cygnify would not lie. Don't mistake my banter with him for disbelief.

I believe he is telling the truth.

Didn't see anything in the track by track review today about a long bluesy song confused13.gif

No, but there was one word in the description of "The Garden" that makes me believe that that's the one my friend heard - "Shuffle"

"Neil lays down a simple shuffle." Judging from your avatar (very similar kit to mine as a matter of fact - down to the same color!) if you are a drummer, you know what a shuffle feels like. Could certainly be a "bluesy" feel. The fact that the review also mentions a significant solo from Alex also supports what my bud heard. My friend thought that particular one was the last song on the disc. He heard it one time, while in the studio with Vertical Horizon and, um, someone who would know, and that was his impression.

Can't wait to hear this album!!

OK....I'll give you a break. I missed that shuffle part when reading it. Probably not an all out blues song but maybe enough of a shuffle for your friend to describe it that way. We'll find out soon enough. 1022.gif

There is definitely nothing at all bluesy about The Garden. Someone previously mentioned Available Light as a comparison. I guess that's not a horrible place to start and from there I'd say The Garden is Available Light meets Broadway. But there's really no way to accurately describe it in the context of Rush's catalog. It simply doesn't sound like anything Rush has ever done before. It does sound like it could fit as a part of a Broadway show - perhaps its the strings and the piano. But overally it's just a very pretty and really good melodic song with hooks and emotion. "The measure of a life is a measure of love and respect / so hard to earn, so easily burned..."

As far as bluesy, perhaps he's referring to Clockwork Angels (the song)? There's a short section toward the end that sounds a bit bluesy with megaphone-like vocals in the background.

The lyrics sound like they were taking from RENT.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (av450 @ May 8 2012, 10:10 PM)
The Garden.

I don't believe your facts are true. Likeclockwork said The Garden sounds nothing like what you describe and I really do think he's legit. He knew the lyrics to Headlong Flight way before anybody on here had even heard the song. He described The Garden as being a beautiful, melodic song with a theatrical feel.

Didn't see anything in the track by track review today about a long bluesy song confused13.gif

No, but there was one word in the description of "The Garden" that makes me believe that that's the one my friend heard - "Shuffle"

"Neil lays down a simple shuffle." Judging from your avatar (very similar kit to mine as a matter of fact - down to the same color!) if you are a drummer, you know what a shuffle feels like. Could certainly be a "bluesy" feel. The fact that the review also mentions a significant solo from Alex also supports what my bud heard. My friend thought that particular one was the last song on the disc. He heard it one time, while in the studio with Vertical Horizon and, um, someone who would know, and that was his impression.

OK....I'll give you a break. I missed that shuffle part when reading it. Probably not an all out blues song but maybe enough of a shuffle for your friend to describe it that way. We'll find out soon enough. 1022.gif

There is definitely nothing at all bluesy about The Garden. Someone previously mentioned Available Light as a comparison. I guess that's not a horrible place to start and from there I'd say The Garden is Available Light meets Broadway. But there's really no way to accurately describe it in the context of Rush's catalog. It simply doesn't sound like anything Rush has ever done before. It does sound like it could fit as a part of a Broadway show - perhaps its the strings and the piano. But overally it's just a very pretty and really good melodic song with hooks and emotion. "The measure of a life is a measure of love and respect / so hard to earn, so easily burned..."

As far as bluesy, perhaps he's referring to Clockwork Angels (the song)? There's a short section toward the end that sounds a bit bluesy with megaphone-like vocals in the background.

From Nick R:

The whole middle section to Clockwork Angels, that bluesy bar band section, that definitely happened in the mix

Game, set and match to my pal Cygnify, I think. cool.gif

QUOTE (Tony R @ May 8 2012, 05:03 PM)
QUOTE (av450 @ May 8 2012, 10:10 PM)
The Garden.

From Nick R:

The whole middle section to Clockwork Angels, that bluesy bar band section, that definitely happened in the mix

Game, set and match to my pal Cygnify, I think. cool.gif

You can send that dollar now T1 rofl3.gif

(actually, I probably owe you much more for unknowingly introducing me to some great prog!)

trink39.gif

So, yeah, I guess that's one of the songs my bud heard.

QUOTE (likeclockwork @ May 8 2012, 04:55 PM)
Wish Them Well is not heavy at all and I wouldn't describe The Anarchist as heavy - more mid-tempo.  Much of Clockwork Angels is fairly melodic as well.

Thanks for all your input! smile.gif

Edited by snowdog2112

QUOTE (likeclockwork @ May 8 2012, 05:55 PM)
Wish Them Well is not heavy at all and I wouldn't describe The Anarchist as heavy - more mid-tempo. Much of Clockwork Angels is fairly melodic as well.

Is Seven Cities heavy or melodic?

i am starting to feel like the character on Hitchcock's movie Vertigo with all those multiple quoting boxes. It gives me a headache. We should not allow more than 2 pages of this. wacko.gif wacko.gif

I wonder if it'll be anything like the Sphere part of Hempisheres?

I wondered the exact same thing. And if so... that would make me smile! biggrin.gif yes.gif

I appreciate all the insight from our fellow insiders! trink39.gif I have always felt that a good dynamic, diverse album was somewhere inside of Rush and it sounds like they have one here.

I'm very curious to hear this thing now ... we have had so many opinions and snippets and reviews from those who have heard the thing, its hard to remember who said which about what. We need someone to gather up what we know thus far, track by track, and lets see how they compare. smile.gif

Not me. I'm too lazy for that!

C'mon release date ...

Edited by wilb1972

QUOTE (wilb1972 @ May 10 2012, 12:27 PM)
I just did a lot of copying and pasting! smile.gif

Did anybody see this tidbit? There are starting to be enough reviews maybe I'm getting them mixed up. Copied from alexmai(THANKS) post at RIAB:

From Dave Ling (Classic Rock) website:

"During the afternoon I attended the first of three media playbacks for Rush's hotly anticipated new album. And you know what? 'Clockwork Angels' might just be the Canadian band's best and hardest-rocking record since the celebrated 'Moving Pictures', performed in its entirety on their last tour but recorded as long ago as 1981. I particularly liked a song called 'The Anarchist' which begins with the type of brutal guitar motif not heard since 'Working Man' back in the mid-'70s. 'Clockwork...' is not consistently heavy, mind, though to these ears it's their most consistent set of choons in aeons."

QUOTE (presto123 @ May 10 2012, 01:41 PM)
I just did a lot of copying and pasting!  smile.gif

Did anybody see this tidbit? There are starting to be enough reviews maybe I'm getting them mixed up. Copied from alexmai(THANKS) post at RIAB:

"During the afternoon I attended the first of three media playbacks for Rush's hotly anticipated new album. And you know what? 'Clockwork Angels' might just be the Canadian band's best and hardest-rocking record since the celebrated 'Moving Pictures', performed in its entirety on their last tour but recorded as long ago as 1981. I particularly liked a song called 'The Anarchist' which begins with the type of brutal guitar motif not heard since 'Working Man' back in the mid-'70s. 'Clockwork...' is not consistently heavy, mind, though to these ears it's their most consistent set of choons in aeons."

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Sounds great!

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 10 2012, 12:47 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ May 10 2012, 01:41 PM)

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Sounds great!

Dave Ling said he gave it a 9/10 review in Metal Hammer magazine. 1022.gif 2.gif

Even though it's a metal magazine they must still appreciate the softer melodic tunes as well.

QUOTE (presto123 @ May 10 2012, 12:41 PM)

I found it on an italian forum (Truemetal) smile.gif

I hate how people say stuff like "although it's not consistently heavy..." like it's a bad thing or something....

I don't give a damn if it's heavy or not. I would actually not like it as much if it were all pedal-to-the-metal from start to finish. That would make the album as a whole sound like utter shit and become boring after 2 songs. I'm so glad Rush still writes softer music even though so many people expect nonstop metal all the time.

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ May 10 2012, 05:15 PM)
I hate how people say stuff like "although it's not consistently heavy..." like it's a bad thing or something....

I don't give a damn if it's heavy or not. I would actually not like it as much if it were all pedal-to-the-metal from start to finish. That would make the album as a whole sound like utter shit and become boring after 2 songs. I'm so glad Rush still writes softer music even though so many people expect nonstop metal all the time.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ May 10 2012, 04:15 PM)

It's one of the main reasons why I like them so much....the sheer diversity and range of their music!

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ May 10 2012, 04:15 PM)

I think he threw that in there because he is reviewing it for Metal Hammer magazine so he knows most of the people reading it will be metal heads. confused13.gif