Raise your hand if you've heard all of CA

Gedneil Alpeart

Who cares if these people have heard it or not, as long as they all say its going to be awesome, i can live happy, I like every Rush album because they are all different, some stuff is better than others, but in the end, its better than the "call me maybe" song, notice I don't even know the title #crap

...but if anyone has an extra copy of CA laying around........this broke college kid would like a preview biggrin.gif

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (presto123 @ May 3 2012, 05:03 PM)
QUOTE (cygnify @ May 3 2012, 04:58 PM)
The Garden.

I don't believe your facts are true. Likeclockwork said The Garden sounds nothing like what you describe and I really do think he's legit. He knew the lyrics to Headlong Flight way before anybody on here had even heard the song. He described The Garden as being a beautiful, melodic song with a theatrical feel.

I don't know that article looks pretty legit! Remember different people hear things differently.

yes.gif

Edited by losingit2k

Fly By Night contains the 5 minute Rivendell, probably the sweetest gentlest Elf-loving (or otherwise) tune Rush ever put to tape. It immediately disqualifies FBN being considered as heavy and/or metal Rush album.

That's the dumbest thing I've ever read on this forum...Well that and the guy who says Neil Peart ruined the band.

QUOTE (The Killer Rabbit @ May 3 2012, 03:17 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ May 3 2012, 02:44 PM)
There's plenty here raising their gland despite not having heard CA...

A show of glands common001.gif

I found that funnier than maybe I ought to! laugh.gif

QUOTE (likeclockwork @ May 2 2012, 09:46 PM)
The Garden is one of the best and most inspired pieces of music I've heard from the band in many years.  It's very much a fitting album closer and sounds totally like the final chapter in a concept story.  It has a theatrical feel.

From that description, I'm thinking maybe something vaguely along the lines of Available Light. Would I be somewhat right in saying that? There's no doubt that likeclockwork is legit - he/she quoted the first line of HF before it was released and also knew the date the song was going to be premiered when no one else did. Gotta say judging from the descriptions coming from likeclockwork, it's sounding promising smile.gif

Seems heavily implied that there will be no instrumental (which I'm ok with).

Soon I learned about an entire set of runic hieroglyphs for elements and processes. As the lyrical 'chapters' came together I chose one symbol to represent each of them:' These can be seen on the clockface on the sleeve.

If each symbol represents a set of lyrics and there are 12 symbols and 12 songs, that pretty much settles that.

Edited by snowdog2112

QUOTE (Majestyk @ May 4 2012, 02:44 AM)
Fly By Night contains the 5 minute Rivendell, probably the sweetest gentlest Elf-loving (or otherwise) tune Rush ever put to tape. It immediately disqualifies FBN being considered as heavy and/or metal Rush album.

That's the dumbest thing I've ever read on this forum...Well that and the guy who says Neil Peart ruined the band.

ohmy.gif really? You sure haven't read much then here laugh.gif I was trying for a slight bit of humor. If you think that's dumb, search all my posts.. dumb reigns! 1287.gif joker.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (Tony R @ May 3 2012, 05:10 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ May 3 2012, 11:03 PM)
The Garden.

I don't believe your facts are true. Likeclockwork said The Garden sounds nothing like what you describe and I really do think he's legit. He knew the lyrics to Headlong Flight way before anybody on here had even heard the song. He described The Garden as being a beautiful, melodic song with a theatrical feel.

Cygnify would not lie. Don't mistake my banter with him for disbelief.

I believe he is telling the truth.

Didn't see anything in the track by track review today about a long bluesy song confused13.gif

So far the songs likeclockwork described to me have been pretty spot on with that review. Maybe the Garden can be described as bluesy but it didn't sound like it from the review. Sounded more like what likeclockwork described as theatrical.

QUOTE (presto123 @ May 7 2012, 04:51 PM)
The Garden.

Didn't see anything in the track by track review today about a long bluesy song confused13.gif

No, but there was one word in the description of "The Garden" that makes me believe that that's the one my friend heard - "Shuffle"

"Neil lays down a simple shuffle." Judging from your avatar (very similar kit to mine as a matter of fact - down to the same color!) if you are a drummer, you know what a shuffle feels like. Could certainly be a "bluesy" feel. The fact that the review also mentions a significant solo from Alex also supports what my bud heard. My friend thought that particular one was the last song on the disc. He heard it one time, while in the studio with Vertical Horizon and, um, someone who would know, and that was his impression.

Can't wait to hear this album!!

QUOTE (cygnify @ May 7 2012, 07:51 PM)
The Garden.

No, but there was one word in the description of "The Garden" that makes me believe that that's the one my friend heard - "Shuffle"

"Neil lays down a simple shuffle." Judging from your avatar (very similar kit to mine as a matter of fact - down to the same color!) if you are a drummer, you know what a shuffle feels like. Could certainly be a "bluesy" feel. The fact that the review also mentions a significant solo from Alex also supports what my bud heard. My friend thought that particular one was the last song on the disc. He heard it one time, while in the studio with Vertical Horizon and, um, someone who would know, and that was his impression.

OK....I'll give you a break. I missed that shuffle part when reading it. Probably not an all out blues song but maybe enough of a shuffle for your friend to describe it that way. We'll find out soon enough. 1022.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ May 7 2012, 09:36 PM)
The Garden.

OK....I'll give you a break. I missed that shuffle part when reading it. Probably not an all out blues song but maybe enough of a shuffle for your friend to describe it that way. We'll find out soon enough. 1022.gif

There is definitely nothing at all bluesy about The Garden. Someone previously mentioned Available Light as a comparison. I guess that's not a horrible place to start and from there I'd say The Garden is Available Light meets Broadway. But there's really no way to accurately describe it in the context of Rush's catalog. It simply doesn't sound like anything Rush has ever done before. It does sound like it could fit as a part of a Broadway show - perhaps its the strings and the piano. But overally it's just a very pretty and really good melodic song with hooks and emotion. "The measure of a life is a measure of love and respect / so hard to earn, so easily burned..."

As far as bluesy, perhaps he's referring to Clockwork Angels (the song)? There's a short section toward the end that sounds a bit bluesy with megaphone-like vocals in the background.

QUOTE (likeclockwork @ May 7 2012, 09:52 PM)
The Garden.

There is definitely nothing at all bluesy about The Garden. Someone previously mentioned Available Light as a comparison. I guess that's not a horrible place to start and from there I'd say The Garden is Available Light meets Broadway. But there's really no way to accurately describe it in the context of Rush's catalog. It simply doesn't sound like anything Rush has ever done before. It does sound like it could fit as a part of a Broadway show - perhaps its the strings and the piano. But overally it's just a very pretty and really good melodic song with hooks and emotion. "The measure of a life is a measure of love and respect / so hard to earn, so easily burned..."

As far as bluesy, perhaps he's referring to Clockwork Angels (the song)? There's a short section toward the end that sounds a bit bluesy with megaphone-like vocals in the background.

I seriously can't wait to hear this album. The Garden is a Broadway type song? I'm all on that. Maybe they figured if Trey and Matt from South Park could do it with The Book Of Mormon, they could do it with Clockwork Angels!

QUOTE (likeclockwork @ May 7 2012, 09:52 PM)
The Garden.

Thanks for the info. Seven Cities Of Gold must be one of the songs you haven't heard.

The Garden.

I've heard it. It's actually one of my least favorites! smile.gif

QUOTE (likeclockwork @ May 7 2012, 10:35 PM)
The Garden.

Do you agree with the review that Halo Effect is an instant Rush classic?

QUOTE (presto123 @ May 7 2012, 10:45 PM)
The Garden.

I love Halo Effect but I don't see it being labeled a classic. It's short and melodic with somewhat repetitive lyrics. It also doesn't like anything Rush has ever done before but it's more of a really nice and pretty song than a "classic."

QUOTE (likeclockwork @ May 8 2012, 09:01 AM)
The Garden.

I love Halo Effect but I don't see it being labeled a classic. It's short and melodic with somewhat repetitive lyrics. It also doesn't like anything Rush has ever done before but it's more of a really nice and pretty song than a "classic."

Well, likeclockwork, are there any other songs besides The Garden that really impressed you on the album? Like, what about the title track? I've personally been anxious to hear that one ever since I first read Alex's comments on it from a couple of years ago, and I'd love to read whatever comments you could make on that song. 2.gif

First post here, btw. Hello everyone! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Mister Gold @ May 8 2012, 09:18 AM)
The Garden.

Well, likeclockwork, are there any other songs besides The Garden that really impressed you on the album? Like, what about the title track? I've personally been anxious to hear that one ever since I first read Alex's comments on it from a couple of years ago, and I'd love to read whatever comments you could make on that song. 2.gif

He's already raved about that song before but I will let him speak for himself. Welcome to TRF!!! tongue.gif

Edited by presto123

QUOTE (presto123 @ May 8 2012, 11:54 AM)
The Garden.

He's already raved about that song before but I will let him speak for himself. Welcome to TRF!!! tongue.gif

He raved about the title track? Where? The only thing I saw was a neutral, descriptive comment:

I realize people have different ears but the only thing that seems to be contradictory between the review and likeclockwork's comments are that he has said:

Most of the remaining songs sound very different from the three songs that have been released to date. There's a much more melodic side to the album that hasn't been seen yet

Yet in the review everything but Halo Effect, BU2B2, and The Garden seems to be described (although buried in gibberish) as pretty rocking and heavy and riffy. And the first 2 of those softer songs are by far the shortest. I'm not sure what to make of that.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ May 8 2012, 01:04 PM)
The Garden.

He raved about the title track? Where? The only thing I saw was a neutral, descriptive comment:

I realize people have different ears but the only thing that seems to be contradictory between the review and likeclockwork's comments are that he has said:

Most of the remaining songs sound very different from the three songs that have been released to date. There's a much more melodic side to the album that hasn't been seen yet

Yet in the review everything but Halo Effect, BU2B2, and The Garden seems to be described (although buried in gibberish) as pretty rocking and heavy and riffy. And the first 2 of those softer songs are by far the shortest. I'm not sure what to make of that.

In a PM. I didn't want to repeat it because it was a PM but he's been letting more info out so I think it will be OK. He said most people will love the title track because it is truly epic and harkens back to those epics of the 70's or something along those lines. I'll have to check the PM. Really excited for this track. 1022.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ May 8 2012, 12:09 PM)
The Garden.

In a PM. I didn't want to repeat it because it was a PM but he's been letting more info out so I think it will be OK. He said most people will love the title track because it is truly epic and harkens back to those epics of the 70's or something along those lines. I'll have to check the PM. Really excited for this track. 1022.gif

Cool, thanks! I actually went to his profile to read all his posts to make sure I didn't miss any but a PM would explain it! smile.gif

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ May 8 2012, 01:39 PM)
The Garden.

Cool, thanks! I actually went to his profile to read all his posts to make sure I didn't miss any but a PM would explain it! smile.gif

He also said the Anarchist sounds like it could be on GUP or Signals. More great news. 2.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ May 8 2012, 12:53 PM)
The Garden.

He also said the Anarchist sounds like it could be on GUP or Signals. More great news. 2.gif

great news if of course you hear the song exactly the same way he does. doubtful. headlong flight was supposed to sound like by-tor according to someone who heard the song prior to release. not the case.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 8 2012, 02:59 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ May 8 2012, 12:53 PM)
The Garden.

great news if of course you hear the song exactly the same way he does. doubtful. headlong flight was supposed to sound like by-tor according to someone who heard the song prior to release. not the case.

Nobody said it sounded exactly like By-Tor just that it had By-Tor elements. And it does. That drum solo is totally By-Tor inspired. I would say if you put Bastille Day, By-tor, Driven, Main Monkey in a blender with a splash of modern Rush would be a good discription. The wah solo sounds like it came straight off of 2112.