Raise your hand if you've heard all of CA

Gedneil Alpeart

There must be at least one or two members here who are insiders, etc, who have heard all of CA. Tell us what to expect? If you're sworn to secrecy, just give us hints, some bones to chew on. No general adjectives like " It Rocks!". And tell the truth......or else......... beathorse.gif

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we already have quite a bit of that from likeclockwork who appears to be genuine. The gist of it being that most of the rest of the album will be a lot more melodic and lighter than what we've heard so far:

I've heard most of the album and can confidently say that Clockwork Angels is significantly better than S&A. There's only 1 song I don't particularly like so far. Whether they suit your personal taste or not, the quality to these songs is just way way better than the last couple of albums. These songs are confidently made and don't sound forced at all liked much of the recent material in my opinion. Also, as heavy as the songs that have been released are, many of the remainder are quite the opposite. The album has a very diverse collection of songs. I'll also say that Headlong Flight is not one of the songs in my regular rotation either - but I'm always partial to more melodic and hook-y songs.

Most of the remaining songs sound very different from the three songs that have been released to date. There's a much more melodic side to the album that hasn't been seen yet.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ May 1 2012, 09:16 PM)
I think we already have quite a bit of that from likeclockwork who appears to be genuine. The gist of it being that most of the rest of the album will be a lot more melodic and lighter than what we've heard so far:

I've heard most of the album and can confidently say that Clockwork Angels is significantly better than S&A. There's only 1 song I don't particularly like so far. Whether they suit your personal taste or not, the quality to these songs is just way way better than the last couple of albums. These songs are confidently made and don't sound forced at all liked much of the recent material in my opinion. Also, as heavy as the songs that have been released are, many of the remainder are quite the opposite. The album has a very diverse collection of songs. I'll also say that Headlong Flight is not one of the songs in my regular rotation either - but I'm always partial to more melodic and hook-y songs.

Most of the remaining songs sound very different from the three songs that have been released to date. There's a much more melodic side to the album that hasn't been seen yet.

Melodic and lighter....as in bravest face and good news first and faithless or different strings, losing it, mystic rhythms, the pass? Hmmmmm....if many fans are expecting heavy/prog/complex/acrobatic stuff from the rest of CA based on what we have heard so far, how will the general reaction be to "melodic and lighter"?

My guess is it will depend on the strength of song writing, flow, naturalness, and confidence. If the songs are going to be folksy ala SA, a lot of complaining here. But, if more in line with 70s and 80s lighter and melodic, then we may have a winner.

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ May 1 2012, 08:32 PM)

Melodic and lighter....as in bravest face and good news first and faithless or different strings, losing it, mystic rhythms, the pass? Hmmmmm....if many fans are expecting heavy/prog/complex/acrobatic stuff from the rest of CA based on what we have heard so far, how will the general reaction be to "melodic and lighter"?

My guess is it will depend on the strength of song writing, flow, naturalness, and confidence. If the songs are going to be folksy ala SA, a lot of complaining here. But, if more in line with 70s and 80s lighter and melodic, then we may have a winner.

I made that same point in another thread, I think a lot of people have already convinced themselves that CA is going to be non-stop heaviness and they're going to be upset, or at least surprised.

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ May 1 2012, 09:32 PM)

The best I can describe the melodic songs is to say that if you took The Color of Right, How It Is, Out of the Cradle, Faithless & Bravest Face, figured out where they were trying to go but couldn't quite get to and advanced it about 9 stages you'd have what we have on this album. The songs are much richer and not wimpy. They don't sound like old school Rush - they sound very much like modern Rush but simply having gotten where they were trying to go - if that makes any sense.

In the months leading up to the release of Headlong Flight, I recall reading some interviews with the guys, where they mentioned that there was a shift in where the album was originally going, and that things had become quite a bit more melodic. I think it was Alex who may have made that comment?

As a result, I'm not expecting the balance of the album to sound as heavy as HLF.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ May 1 2012, 09:58 PM)

I made that same point in another thread, I think a lot of people have already convinced themselves that CA is going to be non-stop heaviness and they're going to be upset, or at least surprised.

2112, FTK, and Hemispheres were not non stop heavy so regardless of the heaviness factor I still look for this to be a stellar record. I would say there are at least 2 or 3 more heavy songs as that is the direction they originally started. Just a guess. I hope they kept all the strings parts in there that were recorded for five songs I believe. I REALLY hope some of the melodic songs contain extended guitar solos. 1022.gif

QUOTE (likeclockwork @ May 1 2012, 09:17 PM)

The best I can describe the melodic songs is to say that if you took The Color of Right, How It Is, Out of the Cradle, Faithless & Bravest Face, figured out where they were trying to go but couldn't quite get to and advanced it about 9 stages you'd have what we have on this album. The songs are much richer and not wimpy. They don't sound like old school Rush - they sound very much like modern Rush but simply having gotten where they were trying to go - if that makes any sense.

Ok, I'm scared....

QUOTE (likeclockwork @ May 1 2012, 10:17 PM)

By saying the new songs advanced 9 stages I read that to mean these new songs blow away the songs you listed in your opinion. Is that right? 9 stages is a whole lot of stages. laugh.gif

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ May 1 2012, 10:40 PM)
QUOTE (likeclockwork @ May 1 2012, 09:17 PM)

Ok, I'm scared....

I'm a little concerned after reading that just because How It Is, Out Of The Cradle, and Bravest Face are some of my least fav Rush songs of all time. He did say they advanced 9 stages though. confused13.gif

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ May 1 2012, 07:58 PM)

I'll be thrilled if it's not non-stop heaviness. yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I actually like the sound of this biggrin.gif

QUOTE (likeclockwork @ May 1 2012, 11:17 PM)

drool1.gif

So, they sound like five of the worst songs off Rush's last three albums, but nine times better.

I'm not sure if that's gonna be really great or just suck nine times harder. wacko.gif

Clockwork Angels: Awesome mini-epic. Kind of the epic people expected HL to be. INSANE break.

The Anarchist: Two words describe this song: Alex. Lifeson.

Carnies: Intro similar to Witch Hunt but with a hellish county fair twist. Very heavy, funky reggae drumming in parts, interesting memorable hook.

Halo Effect: Light and melodic. Beautiful lyrics.

The Seven Cities of Gold: Another mini-epic.

The Wreckers: This song is very METAL. Violent even. 1022.gif

BU2B2: Just a reprise.

How close am I? trink38.gif

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 1 2012, 11:37 PM)

So, they sound like five of the worst songs off Rush's last three albums, but nine times better.

I'm not sure if that's gonna be really great or just suck nine times harder. wacko.gif

rofl3.gif Funny post. Please no folky guitar like beginning of Bravest Face on this record. I actually like the chorus a lot on BF but those folky verses just don't work for me.

Yes, that makes sense. And, that makes me feel good cool.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 1 2012, 10:20 PM)

I'll be thrilled if it's not non-stop heaviness. yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Me too but I think we're in the minority, as I said in the other thread it's obvious that most of the excitement around the web from average/casual fans about CA comes purely from the fact that they're convinced the whole album will sound like the 3 songs we've heard, nothing but heavy riffs. When they hear a bunch of light catchy songs in the style of How It Is with strings and some keyboards they're going to be pissed. A whole lot of people are practically expecting a metal album.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ May 2 2012, 07:28 AM)

Me too but I think we're in the minority, as I said in the other thread it's obvious that most of the excitement around the web from average/casual fans about CA comes purely from the fact that they're convinced the whole album will sound like the 3 songs we've heard, nothing but heavy riffs. When they hear a bunch of light catchy songs in the style of How It Is with strings and some keyboards they're going to be pissed. A whole lot of people are practically expecting a metal album.

I don't know why anyone would expect a full out heavy and/or metal album. I think they've only done that more or less twice.. debut album and Hemispheres.

I think CA title song, Carnies, and one other one will be heavy, riffy, prog, etc. Halo Effect, Seven Cities Of Gold, Garden and the rest should be melodic and lighter.

Thanks for the update, fellow who's heard it.

I see where you're going too. People are getting hung up on "sounds like" but you're just suggesting the melodic pulse of those songs...(in addition to saying much better constructed, executed, and recorded as well). Not "these songs sound like THOSE songs..."

I think what's going to frustrate some folks is that this isn't going to be purely foot-down, balls to the wall heavy from stem to stern. Of course we know this already. I'm sure the orchestra isn't there on a song like Headlong Flight, so it stands to reason... biggrin.gif wink.gif

Anyhow, I'm encouraged by your vague allusions. I think the broader the dynamic, the better....the richer.

Edited by Presto-digitation

im really intrigued by the track "The Garden", likeclockwork, can you give us any vague details as to the feel of this track, obviously it seems to be a lighter, melodic track, but i was just wondering whether it is a worthy album closer?

QUOTE (Lerxster @ May 2 2012, 06:56 AM)

I don't know why anyone would expect a full out heavy and/or metal album. I think they've only done that more or less twice.. debut album and Hemispheres.

That's because we're more knowledgeable about the band and this album in particular but go to where a large cross-section of general rock fans have heard the song like on youtube or on other bands' forums and you'll see mostly stuff like "Wow, if the whole album rocks as hard as HF it's going to be awesome! So glad they went back to the heavy stuff!" The overwhelming majority of excitement about CA from non-hardcore (and some hardcore) fans is about how heavy they think it will be.