does HF make you more/less optimistic

lifeson90

70 members have voted

1. 1. does HF make you more/less optimistic

• yes
    • no change
    • no

after bu2b and caravan i became extremely optimistic about clockwork angels, bu2b in particular showed a new dynamic that worked for me and the songwriting/musical composition was back in the place where all the good rush stuff came from i think......

refecting on which, did headlong flight increase my optimism for this new album or even lower it, or did it change nothing at all

what i mean is, i know a lot of fans will believe headlong flight a decent piece of rush music but is it good enough or in the sweet zone enough to actually raise your optimism for the new album even higher than either bu2b or caravan did

or, like me, was headlong flight an ok rush tune but not so much an epic belter to expand the standard even higher

or, i suppose there's a few fans out there who would regard headlong flight as a drop in standard sufficient to make them pessimistic now in some way for the album

just wondered, so thought id throw in my first ever poll smile.gif

Edited by lifeson90

Yes, I'm quite a bit less optimistic. HF isn't a bad song, but the grandiose feeling of the first two tracks are missing and the lyrics are incredibly repetitive. Far more than in Caravan, because the music in HF isn't strong enough to support the bad lyrics. In fact, If I buy CA on MP3 I'm going to go into the options and swap out the full length version of HF for the single version. I like the "fat free" version far more as a song.

That's my two cents.

And it's not a bad first poll, but next time make the options clearer. I.E. make them something along the lines of

1.More optimistic

2. No change

3. Less Optimistic

Or something along those lines.

More optimistic, for sure. (I assume you meant "...about the new album.")

I liked "Caravan" a great deal, especially the part with the "Primus" jam, and "BU2B" was pretty good, too. But "Headlong Flight" is a freaking killer! More like that, please.

I'm a little less optimistic. I don't like it as much I like the other two, and it didn't really show me anything in the way of diversity (which I would've hoped to see some evidence of in three released tracks). I still have pretty high hopes though. Edited by Cyclonus X-1

I found it more optimistic. I kind of just blindly clicked "yes". Now that I think about it, I have no idea what yes/no were to mean comp26.gif

QUOTE (BigBob @ May 1 2012, 11:57 AM)
I kind of just blindly clicked "yes". Now that I think about it, I have no idea what yes/no were to mean comp26.gif

goodpost.gif I voted, "No, HF does not make me more/less optimistic." wacko.gif

I'm always optimistic with Rush releases.

I'm a fan of all their material, and they always seem to pull through for me, and really don't do wrong IMO.

In this case...I love Caravan, love BU2B, and love Headlong Flight. So, I'd say the optimism is right on track. 1022.gif

Talk about a huge increase in optimism. I thought Caravan was good. I thought BU2B was freakin' fantastic. I think Headlong Flight might be the best of the three. I really can't wait for more.

QUOTE (likeclockwork @ May 1 2012, 12:55 PM)
Most of the remaining songs sound very different from the three songs that have been released to date. There's a much more melodic side to the album that hasn't been seen yet.

Have you heard the entire album?

QUOTE (likeclockwork @ May 1 2012, 10:55 AM)
Most of the remaining songs sound very different from the three songs that have been released to date. There's a much more melodic side to the album that hasn't been seen yet.

Wow, I seriously hope that's true. yes.gif

These 3 songs are a complete upgrade from the shitfest that was S&A

I'm really glad to hear that. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I've been concerned about the relative lack of diversity so far.

If it's melodic keep it old school melodic and not SnA melodic. Melodic sounds good to me especially if they kept the string parts in there but on the other hand I don't want them to sacrifice the classic chops/playing style we have seen come back to a certain extent. Geddy especially sounds more like the old Geddy on this record since I don't know when. Here's hoping they find a nice balance. 2.gif

Definitely more optimistic. I thought Caravan and BU2B were kind of middling, but Headlong Flight I really like. So, yeah. More optimistic.

why are are we here,because were here...we all love this band!! HF makes me feel very optimistic...heavy guitar,great vocal melody,

killer bass lines...drum solo's alla by-tor...it's awesome!!!

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 1 2012, 01:48 PM)
These 3 songs are a complete upgrade from the shitfest that was S&A

I'm just getting a little bit of a feeling you didn't like S&A? You have in a very subtle way hinted at that in a few posts I've noticed... wink.gif

Actually, as time goes on, I agree with you. S&A is very lightweight by Rush standards

I went with "Same" because Caravan and BU2B are amazing and Headlong Flight is just more of the same...it's all good and hasn't changed since HF came back...it just reaffirms what I thought after hearing the first 2