Unpopular opinions you have about RUSH

Czarcasm

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CruisingInPrimetime @ May 12 2012, 08:50 PM)
QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 12 2012, 06:48 PM)
QUOTE (CruisingInPrimetime @ May 12 2012, 04:58 PM)
QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 12 2012, 12:00 PM)
I'm starting to really like ALL of Vapor Trails.... yes, even "Peaceable Kingdom", "Stars Look Down" and "How It Is".

You say "even' as if there's some consensus among Rush fans that those songs suck. I'll be the one to say it... any Rush fan who doesn't like those songs is a fizzle.

I don't think there's a consensus, but I do think it's an unpopular opinion, at least around these parts....

Fizzles. All of them.

Sure. I'm a "fizzle".

Peaceable Kingdom is easily my least favourite song on VT.

It's a decent tune, but I could never understand it actually being someone's favourite. Sorry. cool.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 12 2012, 11:05 PM)
QUOTE (Dscrapre @ May 13 2012, 12:06 AM)
I prefer all but 2 songs from VT to nearly anything released before A Farewell to Kings.

As Homer Simpson once said..."that's crazy talk". cool10.gif

I guess I'm crazy. I didn't see it coming either. I just found myself listening to the VT material more and more and suddenly, much of it had eclipsed all but a few songs off the first 4 albums. (2112, Something for Nothing, Bastille Day, No One at the Bridge, and Anthem)

How so many people can hate that album is absolutely beyond me. Different strokes...

QUOTE (Dscrapre @ May 13 2012, 01:27 AM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 12 2012, 11:05 PM)
QUOTE (Dscrapre @ May 13 2012, 12:06 AM)
I prefer all but 2 songs from VT to nearly anything released before A Farewell to Kings.

As Homer Simpson once said..."that's crazy talk". cool10.gif

I guess I'm crazy. I didn't see it coming either. I just found myself listening to the VT material more and more and suddenly, much of it had eclipsed all but a few songs off the first 4 albums. (2112, Something for Nothing, Bastille Day, No One at the Bridge, and Anthem)

How so many people can hate that album is absolutely beyond me. Different strokes...

Yeah, I understand.

Personally, I don't hate the album, but I certainly don't find myself drawn to it very much. It has aged very badly with me.

I am holding out hope that if/when we finally get the full remixed album, that it will help bring me back to it...like a 'second chance' of sorts.

Time will tell...

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 13 2012, 12:07 AM)
QUOTE (CruisingInPrimetime @ May 12 2012, 08:50 PM)
QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 12 2012, 06:48 PM)
QUOTE (CruisingInPrimetime @ May 12 2012, 04:58 PM)
QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 12 2012, 12:00 PM)
I'm starting to really like ALL of Vapor Trails.... yes, even "Peaceable Kingdom", "Stars Look Down" and "How It Is".

You say "even' as if there's some consensus among Rush fans that those songs suck. I'll be the one to say it... any Rush fan who doesn't like those songs is a fizzle.

I don't think there's a consensus, but I do think it's an unpopular opinion, at least around these parts....

Fizzles. All of them.

Sure. I'm a "fizzle".

Peaceable Kingdom is easily my least favourite song on VT.

It's a decent tune, but I could never understand it actually being someone's favourite. Sorry. cool.gif

Well, it's Alex Lifeson's favorite off the record. I read that on TRF yesterday I think it was. It's not my favorite but it's in my top 5 on Vapor Trails. Probably only behind Earthshine, Secret Touch, and Ghost Rider. So number 4.

Caress of Steel is a fantastic album; Lakeside Park is an intoxicating nostalgic trip that always gets me (I had a sort of 'lakeside park' in my town when I was little, sweet memories), and Fountain of Lamneth is second only to Hemispheres.

I like Vapor Trails more than S&A on most days, the only songs I ever feel like passing on are "One Little Victory" and "Ghost Rider." Peaceable Kingdom, Vapor Trail, and Out of the Cradle all especially kick serious ass.

Here are some albums I never feel particularly excited about popping into my CD player: GUP, MP, 2112, Signals, AFTK

In fact, I feel like just about every opinion I have about Rush would get me crucified in the fan base.

Edited by Steel Rat

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ May 10 2012, 06:41 PM)
QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ May 10 2012, 06:38 AM)
Here is mine:

I don't like how Geddy doubles his bass and vocals with more than 1 track on recordings. It sounds terrible to me. I think he should do 1 track of bass and 1 track of vocals. For the past 10+ years, he has done this. It sounds terrible.

Another is their departure of the 3-piece sound. I love the sound of a true 3-piece band. 1 track of guitar, 1 track of bass, 1 track of drums. There is no need to add synths and rhythm guitar tracks. If I wanted to hear a 5 piece band, I would listen to someone else. However, Headlong Flight sounds like s step in the right direction. Love the solo section.

You know, all the 70s albums had layered guitars, too. And keyboards. And other overdubs. I'd be hard pressed to think of a single rock album or maybe any kind of album since maybe the 50s where there are no overdubs or doubling (or more) of instruments. On a recent interview with Terry Brown he talked specifically about being so impressed with Alex's doubling of the guitars on the very first Rush album.

I understand what you're getting at and I enjoy more space and separation when I can get it but having essentially a 4 track studio album with one each for guitar, bass, drums, and vocals is just not realistic and hasn't been for ages.

I don't mind the doubling of guitars as much as I do the doubling of bass lines and vocals. It sounds terrible. I realize that Alex doubled some of his guitars and added rhythm tracks back in old days. If it is subtle, I'm ok with it. But, I love the openness of a true 3-piece sound.

I was disappointed when I saw the cities of the upcoming Rush tour. As a Canadian, I feel Rush isn't playing enough concerts in their home country. They aren't paying enough attention to their fellow Canucks... I may be wrong but I thought I read that not all the cities of their past tours sell out (example: Atlanta), so I wonder why they are playing there again instead of here in Canada. my opinion, for what it's worth.

I will confess to the most blasphemous heresy a so-called RUSH fan can have:

I don't really like any of the albums after Moving Pictures that much.

There, I said it. Also I don't believe in god, and I deny the holy spirit. I'm going to hell for sure.

As for the post-MP albums, it's not for lack of trying - repeated listens, trying to keep an open mind, trying to hear the music on it's own terms, etc.

Granted, I have learned to appreciate most of the post-MP output, but here is the thing...I didn't have to "try" to appreciate the debut thru MP. That stuff just grabbed me and blew me away.

So nowadays I can appreciate every post-MP album in some way (except GUP, which I can't stand to this day) - but my appreciation is always in the context of "this stuff is just not in the same league as the 74-81 stuff".

I can't pin down what it is, but something changed after MP. Despite all the changes (toning down keyboards, turning up guitar, bringing on Nick), nothing grabs me the way the early stuff did. Possibly the missing factor is Terry Brown. Who knows?

That's my big "unpopular opinion". I have some others too, but I'll leave them for another post (provided I'm not banned from here forever for "the unpardonable sin" of not liking the post-MP stuff).

2112 as an album is so overrated by a majority of Rush fans, it's ridiculous.

The concert version(s) of 2112 sound 10 times better than the original.

Ditto Natural Science, as a studio track I found it to be rather medicocre.

Roll The Bones the song should have never had a rap section. It's pure garbage. I cringe every time I hear it. Which thankfully isn't often.

Hiring Rupert Hine to produce Rush was the worst decision in the history of music. He took a good band and made them sound like complete crap.

Audiophiles need to focus more attention on the crappy sound of Roll The Bones and less on Clockwork Angels.

That's it for now.

QUOTE (tas7 @ May 12 2012, 09:30 PM)
I prefer Hemispheres to 2112, think it is a far superior record.

So do i, not close in my book

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 15 2012, 11:40 AM)

I hear ya. I like 2 songs, 2112 and Passage . It's my 3rd fav of the first 4

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 15 2012, 11:43 AM)

you don't like lessons, twilight zone, and something for nothing?

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ May 1 2012, 11:03 AM)
I think Jacobs Ladder isn't all that great. There - I said it!

and not necessarily about Rush, but more about Rush fans...

I do not now , and have not ever liked Star Trek. I never watched any of the series, but have seen 2 of the movies (the whale one and the one with Ricardo Montalban)

Never been a Trek fan either, but I did love watching Shatner play Denny Crane on Boston Legal. When I met him and told him I wasn't a Trek fan but loved Boston Legal he seemed, for a brief second anyway, more happy to meet me than I was about meeting him. lol. I think he's really tired of talking about Star Trek.

It's remarkable that a thread of this nature has not devolved into a nasty, nasty pool of nastiness. Just occasional expressions of shock and disbelief, as well as some good-natured ribbing.

Cheers to you all!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 15 2012, 11:46 AM)

Something For Nothing is ok, the other 2 schla03.gif

Star Trek Sucks laugh.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 15 2012, 12:26 PM)

get out!!!!! 1287.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 15 2012, 12:29 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 15 2012, 12:26 PM)

get out!!!!! 1287.gif tongue.gif

moon.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 15 2012, 01:26 PM)

Just "ok"?

Yikes...I think SFN is the best song on 2112 actually.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 15 2012, 12:48 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 15 2012, 01:26 PM)

Just "ok"?

Yikes...I think SFN is the best song on 2112 actually.

Mine is Passage . I think i am just really burnt out on that album

In concert, I sometimes wish Neil's drum solo's were "slightly" shorter... unsure.gif