Unpopular opinions you have about RUSH

Czarcasm

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (I brought my pencil @ May 2 2012, 08:18 PM)
I have a few:

1) Neil Peart is not an elite drummer by any stretch of the imagination.

2) I don't like Farewell to Kings.

3) The three singles off of CA suck.

cool10.gif

You need to take your pencil and shove... wink.gif

While there are exceptions, for the most part I don't pay much attention to the lyrics in Rush songs. In fact, there are many Rush songs where I don't even know what the song is about, and I don't care to figure out the meaning. I know this is akin to ordering a pizza and then only eating the toppings while ignoring the crust, or drinking non-alcoholic beer, but it is what it is. I'm into Rush primarily for the MUSIC, and I'm so into the musical part of their songs that I sometimes get annoyed with the vocals as if they're a distraction. For this reason (I've said this many times already) I wish I could get every Rush tune with the vocal track dropped so I can focus more closely to their music (I've tried removing vocals with software like Audacity, but either it doesn't work well enough or I'm not using it right). And I'll be some would agree that this might actually improve some of their songs (like most of the filler songs on their 90's CDs ). biggrin.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 1 2012, 12:18 PM)
Since i don't give a rat's ass about popular opinions........

I don't care what Neil writes about, if i like the music, it's all good

I don't think Neil is That smart . Is he smart ? Sure, but so is the night manager at Burger King

I think his posts on his website Suck . If i want to read about Birds, i will buy a f-n book on birds

I think RTB is a Joke

I almost walked away from Rush when HYF was released , that is how bad and Non-Rush that album sounds to me

S&A ? If i want a Syrup sandwich i will go to IHOP

I think T4E blows S&A away

I don't think they are as Funny as most of the people do on this site

I think the only one that is really Not a dick to be around is Alex

Enjoy wink.gif

I also all but gave up on Rush with HYF. To me it's easliy there low point.

062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 2 2012, 09:21 AM)
QUOTE (Alchemical @ May 2 2012, 05:05 AM)
QUOTE (Deckiller @ Apr 19 2012, 02:13 AM)
Headlong Flight is quite nice. I love the guitars/bass/drums, but the melodies are lacking a bit and the vocals seem overproduced to the point where I can't understand half of what Geddy is saying. Nevertheless, I still think it's one of their best songs of the last decade!

QUOTE (Deckiller @ May 2 2012, 03:50 AM)
2. Headlong Flight is one of Rush's weaker songs. Poor melodies/singing, inconsistent lyrics, poor production, and repetitive sections drag down some good guitar/bass riffs and drum fills.

So HF went from one of the best Rush songs in the past decade to one of Rush's weaker songs in the span of 2 weeks? Boy you sure change your mind fast. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

First of all, it's scary that you took the time to research this. scared.gif tongue.gif

Secondly, sometimes first impressions of a song don't last long. I kind of take what people say about a new song and/or album with somewhat a grain of salt, as often it can take people a good year or more to get to a fully-formed opinion, myself included. People almost universally loved S&A when it first came out, and several months, or a year or even two years later when the newness of it wore off and people had lived with it for awhile, a lot of the more negative opinions started flowing in.

I loved HF at first listen (it jams!), but the more I hear it the less I want to hear it again. Too hard to ignore the vocal arrangements, which I dislike.

QUOTE (Digitallware @ May 3 2012, 04:05 PM)
I think their first album kicks ass and stands up strong against most modern bands debut albums! Its one of my fav rock albums and I'm not ashamed to say it loud and clear!

1022.gif trink39.gif

Oh, I gotta think about this one for a minute..

I LOVE Hold Your Fire

I typically love a lot of songs that most people dislike, ie:

High Water

How It Is

Red Lenses

Good News First

Second Nature

The album version of Resist

Neurotica

The Big Wheel

You Bet Your Life

Face Up

Hand Over Fist

War Paint

The Color of Right

..to name a few

I'm bored with Moving Pictures, and I typically skip most of the songs. It's a great album, I think I've just listened to it WAY too many times

The boys lost their sex appeal after 1978, IMO tongue.gif

2112 isn't in my list of top 10 favorite songs

Neither is Xanadu

That doesn't mean I don't still love them, though

The Cygnus duology is MUCH better than 2112

Jacob's Ladder is EXTREMELY overrated

So is Mystic Rhythms (though I will admit, that song is finally starting to grow on me)

And Armor & Sword

And Losing It

I think HYF, Presto and Roll the Bones are all very solid albums that each get equal play time in the car

I actually enjoy the rap portion of RTB. I recognize it as sort of a joke, so I often laugh with it

But I cannot say the same about ITIGB or Dog Years. Those are just bad songs, period

I love Geddy's vocals from the 70s, especially the indiscernible ones, such as By-Tor and BB&B

How It Is is my favorite song from VT, followed by Vapor Trail

Everyday Glory is one of the best songs. Ever. By any band, any decade. This is not opinion, this is fact laugh.gif

That's all I can think of right now

Edited by SchemingDemon

QUOTE (goose @ May 3 2012, 03:29 PM)
I think their first album kicks ass and stands up strong against most modern bands debut albums! Its one of my fav rock albums and I'm not ashamed to say it loud and clear!

1022.gif trink39.gif

Absof*ckinglutely! yes.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 3 2012, 06:36 PM)
QUOTE (goose @ May 3 2012, 03:29 PM)

1022.gif trink39.gif

Absof*ckinglutely! yes.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

yes.gif goodpost.gif

I can't help but to shriek OOOOOHHHHH YEAHHH OOOOOHHHH YEAHHHH whenever Finding my Way comes on 1022.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 2 2012, 08:59 PM)
QUOTE (I brought my pencil @ May 2 2012, 08:18 PM)
I have a few:

1) Neil Peart is not an elite drummer by any stretch of the imagination.

2) I don't like Farewell to Kings.

3) The three singles off of CA suck.

cool10.gif

You need to take your pencil and shove... wink.gif

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 1 2012, 11:18 AM)
Grace Under Pressure is only mediocre.  Not bad, but it lacks that one "awesome" song compelling me to spin it.  It's just a collection of good-but-not-great songs, IMO. 

This one really floors me. I can't even pick faves/least fave songs from it cause they're all so completely awesome.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 1 2012, 10:18 PM)
Ooookay. Here we go. Unpopular opinions about Rush. Light the torches, kids.

1. Moving Pictures is overrated. Yes, it's a good album. Yes, it's one of their best. But it's not the ultimate Rush experience that you yahoos make it out to be tongue.gif

2. Hemispheres is similarly overrated. The Trees is a clumsily written metaphor, and the title track rambles more than it should.

3. Jacob's Ladder is a plodding, boring dirge.

4. So is Witch Hunt.

5. And so is Armor and Sword.

6. I actively hope they never play Tom Sawyer in concert again. I can also live without Limelight, Spirit of Radio, Freewill and 2112.

7. Speaking of 2112, the plot is overly silly and the writing isn't nearly as tight as I expect from Peart (even in those early years).

8. I love it when Neil bashes religion. I honestly do. I think it's hysterical watching people get all apoplectic over the words that this one guy writes, as if it actually impact their lives in the slightest. I would pay twice the price for an album where Neil does nothing but bash religion.

9. Presto is one of the best albums they ever did. Top 3. If someone said "best", I wouldn't argue too hard. The production is not too thin or too weak. The production is what it is because it fits the style of the songs. Recording a song like Headlong Flight with Presto's production values would be a mistake. Recording Presto that way was not.

10. Same with Roll the Bones (about the production, I mean.)

11. (this one isn't necessarily an unpopular opinion, but I gotta say it anyway) Dog Years blows.

12. Counterparts is overrated. People praise its heaviness; I think that they sacrificed songwriting in an effort to "get back to their roots" - a move that is almost always a mistake for any band, let alone one that has progressive tendencies.

13. Oh yeah... Rush isn't progressive. Never has been. Never will be. They've done some songs that were prog, but saying that Rush is progressive is like saying Led Zeppelin is heavy metal. It's close, a little, but it's not the whole picture.

14. Vapor Trails is not the ear bleeding mess that nearly everyone seems to think it is. True enough, it's a little 'hot', but it is not unlistenable, and for probably 95% of anyone that listens to those tunes, it's just fine. The other 5% have high end systems and have trained themselves to hear the things they think the rest of us are crazy for putting up with. Guess what? We don't hear it.

15. Waveforms mean jack shit. Yeah, I know I started a waveform thread recently. I deeply regret that because my point - that Headlong Flight was looking and sounding pretty good despite being "too loud" according to some people - was lost.

16. I'm actually a very nice guy. Not sure how unpopular a notion that is these days, but I am tongue.gif Oh, that's not about Rush. Here:

17. More and more, I'm starting to like the VIP tickets option, even without people knowing where the exact seats are.

18. Geddy's voice, live, is fading fast. The vocals on the Time Machine DVD sound terrible. I know he wasn't 100% that night, but I saw them twice on that tour, and he wasn't that much different. Anyone who says he sounds as good as he did even five or six years ago is in serious denial. Studio work still sounds good, but the true test will be the CA tour without all the studio filters and effects.

19. Clockwork Angels will probably be their last studio album.

20. Based on the strength of the first three songs we've heard, if the rest of CA is as good or better... I won't mind if it's their last studio album. They deserve to call it a day with a solid album if that's what they choose. I'm not saying I think they *should* call it quits, just that if they do, I will not be screaming bloody murder about it.

There ya go. 20 unpopular opinions... or 19 at least. Here's one more to make it an even 20 Rush specific opinions:

21. Hold Your Fire is solid throughout. Tai Shan and High Water are exceptionally good songs.

I agree with most of those points. yes.gif

Except for the opinions on MP, Hemi, and HYF... eh.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 1 2012, 11:08 AM)
2. I can't stand I Think I'm Going Bald

4. Hold Your Fire is one of their best albums.

5. The keyboard era was incredible.

9. Ghost of a Chance is a depressing song.

15. The atheistic lyrics on Faithless and BU2B bother me.

17. Neil is NOT an asshole.

20. Rush should have lip synched at the Olympics.

goodpost.gif

I agree with these!

QUOTE (Czarcasm @ May 2 2012, 12:22 AM)
Confess your Rush related sins here, friends.

I'll begin.

I think that Hand over Fist is not only one of the stronger tracks from Presto, but also one of Rush's stronger tracks from the 1980's.

I think that as an actual prog band, Rush is mediocre. They pale in comparison next to better prog bands such as Pink Floyd and ELP. That's why I like the 80's more than the 70's in Rush's catalogue.

I think 90's Rush is superior to 70's Rush.

I LOVE You Bet Your Life.

Ah, That's MUCH better.

And just to clarify, this is NOT a troll thread. These are genuine opinions I have about Rush.

Your turn. Do you have any rush related sins?

There are many things in your post that I would like to crucify you for. However, since you genuinely love RUSH you are exempt.

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ May 3 2012, 07:13 PM)
Not sure how unpopular it is but in my opinion out of 18 studio albums and about 160 songs, there ain't a bad one in the bunch.

*cough* FANBOI *cough*

tongue.gif

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread, already in progress...