Unpopular opinions you have about RUSH

Czarcasm

Confess your Rush related sins here, friends.

I'll begin.

I think that Hand over Fist is not only one of the stronger tracks from Presto, but also one of Rush's stronger tracks from the 1980's.

I think that as an actual prog band, Rush is mediocre. They pale in comparison next to better prog bands such as Pink Floyd and ELP. That's why I like the 80's more than the 70's in Rush's catalogue.

I think 90's Rush is superior to 70's Rush.

I LOVE You Bet Your Life.

Ah, That's MUCH better.

And just to clarify, this is NOT a troll thread. These are genuine opinions I have about Rush.

Your turn. Do you have any rush related sins?

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Jacobs Ladder isn't all that great. There - I said it!

and not necessarily about Rush, but more about Rush fans...

I do not now , and have not ever liked Star Trek. I never watched any of the series, but have seen 2 of the movies (the whale one and the one with Ricardo Montalban)

Edited by Lost In Xanadu

1. Their debut is one of their best albums. So many people criticize this album and I just don't get it - I understand that lyrics got much better after this album, and you can't compare Rutsey to Peart, but Rutsey still was pretty great, and the album just kicks so much ass that those deficiencies don't bother me in the slightest.

2. I can't stand I Think I'm Going Bald - the lyrics, while trying to make a point, are just too silly for Rush. The guys obviously have great senses of humor, but trying to stick that into a song just doesn't work for them (RTB rap anyone? 062802puke_prv.gif ). Their music, especially in the 70's and 80's, was so great that trying to make a funny song just seems beneath them, and it dragged the album down.

3. Most of the time they do narration, it ruins a song for me. This is especially evident with The Necromancer (which would have been great otherwise) and Cygnus X-1 (which along with the screaming at the very end drags down the song immensely - again, the song would have been great otherwise). The rap in RTB is awful for this reason as well.

4. Hold Your Fire is one of their best albums. This is the other album I love that so often gets thrown under the bus. Admittedly, the last two songs keep this album from true greatness, but otherwise the first 8 songs are excellent.

5. The keyboard era was incredible. A lot of people hate the keyboard era, but I loved it, and I've bitterly missed the keyboards in every subsequent Rush album. These albums were innovative and interesting, and the keys added a level of depth to the music that's been missing ever since they went back to basics.

6. Presto is a very mediocre album. The quality of the lyrics dropped dramatically from HYF to Presto - most people don't agree. The notable exceptions are The Pass and Chain Lightning, which are great, but the lyrics on the rest of the album go from average to pretty embarrassingly bad, especially some of the lyrics on War Paint, Scars and Superconductor.

7. Available Light is an EXTREMELY overrated song. I can't stand the falsetto he uses when he sings "in the available light" - major turn off. I just don't get the song.

8. RTB is simply not a good album. Dreamline is excellent, Bravado is decent (though overrated) and the instrumental is ok, but most of the rest of it is awful. I thought some of the lyrics in Presto were embarrassingly bad, but here we have Face Up, Neurotica and You Bet Your Life, not to mention (again) the horrendous rap in RTB. The Big Wheel and Heresy are also pretty bad.

9. Ghost of a Chance is a depressing song. Some find it uplifting, but I don't. I DO believe in all those things he emphatically states he doesn't believe in the song. Too bad, as it's a pretty sounding song otherwise

10. Counterparts was a comeback album after two major duds. A lot of people don't see those as duds, so they don't share this view.

11. T4E has no memorable songs at all. The album is just heavy, and that's pretty much it for me. Resist is highly overrated and only started really getting attention when they did the acoustic version of it. And again there are songs with horribly embarrassing lyrics, perhaps more so than some of the songs on Presto and RTB, namely Test For Echo, Totem, Dog Years and Virtuality. What on earth was Neil thinking with some of these lyrics?

12. VT is a complete disaster in every conceivable way. There's the obvious mastering problem, but outside of that the songs just aren't good - the lyrics are depressing and the songs are just too structured and relentlessly intense. There's no guitar solos, the songs are too long, the album is too long, there's the annoying Geddy choirs, etc. The album should have been scrapped and never released to the public. The album is a true embarrassment to their legacy. I can't understand how anyone likes it. The only good thing about it is that they came back after immense tragedy, but unfortunately that doesn't make the album palatable at all.

13. S&A is actually a very good album, and again it's a HUGE comeback album. Many here seem to hate on it. The first three songs in particular are outstanding, and the instrumentals are by far their best post-1981.

14. The first three songs from CA aren't that good, with the exception of Headlong Flight which is very good, but not great.

15. The atheistic lyrics on Faithless and BU2B bother me. I admit it, they just do. He's entitled to his beliefs, or lack thereof, but it's hard for me to like a song that I so sincerely disagree with philosophically. I feel similarly about Ghost of a Chance. Many argue that songs like Freewill and other older songs have the same theme, but I disagree - previously his beliefs were done in a way much more open to interpretation, but in these songs they're very blatant and obvious. I don't think doing really polarizing songs like these were a good idea, and I'd feel exactly the same way if the songs were super religious on the other end of the spectrum. I just don't like the preachiness either way. Some people don't care (especially if they agree with the philosophy in these songs), and that's cool, but I do.

16. I don't give a shit about Neil's blog or books. I like to have it pointed out where he gives Rush related information and news, but the rest of it I see no point in personally. I sincerely feel that if he wasn't a member of this band beloved by so many, his books would have gone nowhere. Most of the material is just boring.

17. That said, Neil is NOT an asshole. I have no problem whatsoever with his behavior or choices in how he interacts (or doesn't as the case may be) with fans. That's completely his choice. I care only if he gives his all into his drumming and songwriting, and that he does, even if I don't always love everything he comes up with. The rest is superfluous.

18. While I like the personalities and humor of the members of the band, I love this band pretty much 100% because of their music and lyrics. I also appreciate their integrity, but only in the way it affects the music, meaning they've always put out what they wanted to put out as opposed to just what they thought would be popular or successful. Of course this hasn't always worked in their favor when they've put out sub-standard albums, but you can't win 'em all! It's cool that they're nice, friendly guys and have avoided the controversy and problems that so many bands face, but I only care about that in terms of them being able to keep on making music. Some people seem to really identify or over-identify with them personally, and that I don't get. They're cool people, but unless you know them personally, they're just awesome musicians IMHO.

19. Rush have somewhat sold out in the past few years. Thankfully, I don't believe they've ever not given it their all in the studio or in a live performance, so in that I give them major respect. That said, I think they've done tons of unnecessary touring the past few years as an obvious cash grab capitalizing on their longevity and success and status as icons. Of course they're entitled, and I can understand the argument that they've earned it, but I'm old school - either you tour to support new material, or you do the golden oldies circuit where you just play your old hits and it's obvious that you're touring solely on legacy alone (like say The Moody Blues). Touring to support an EP of covers was questionable, but the 2nd leg of S&A was definitely unnecessary other than to make money (often playing the same venues), and both legs of the Time Machine tour supporting two songs was an obvious cash grab. Again, they're entitled, and if the fans are happy, that's cool, but for such an active band to only release an album of new studio material every 5 years is sad. I know they're older, and I understand that new albums don't make much if any money, but for me if a band is active they make studio albums, at least every once in awhile because music is creativity, and creativity is new material. Just how I feel...

20. Rush should have lip synched at the Olympics. Some will find it highly ironic that I accuse the group of selling out and appreciate the fact that they've kept their integrity while criticizing them for something that many would consider to be the ultimate sell-out and compromising of their integrity. I completely see and appreciate that point of view, and still I feel they missed the opportunity of a lifetime to be seen by the biggest audience they could ever dream of representing the best their country has to offer in music. Five minutes of lip synching was a small price to pay for that. Similarly, I think they've repeatedly shot themselves in the foot prior to a few years ago by not doing interviews and publicity for a long time - they could have pushed themselves into a higher echelon of popularity. Some would argue that this is a positive thing, but I disagree. I believe Rush should be as exposed to as many people as possible. Others want to keep them their little secret and love their status as the biggest cult band in the world. I think that's a fairly selfish point of view. They deserve a HUGE audience!

Edited by rushgoober

2112 and A Farewell to Kings are in the bottom half of my Rush album rankings.

I'd rather listen to Anagram (for Mongo) than La Villa Strangiato.

Power Windows is my least favorite Rush album, and I hope the band does not play Middletown Dreams during the next (or any other upcoming) tour.

No One at the Bridge is the part of Lamneth I like the least.

The Color of Right is one of my fifteen favorite Rush songs.

I like You Bet Your Life.

Far Cry is among my least favorite S&A tunes.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 1 2012, 11:08 AM)
1. Their debut is one of their best albums. So many people criticize this album and I just don't get it - I understand that lyrics got much better after this album, and you can't compare Rutsey to Peart, but Rutsey still was pretty great, and the album just kicks so much ass that those deficiencies don't bother me in the slightest.

2. I can't stand I Think I'm Going Bald - the lyrics, while trying to make a point, are just too silly for Rush. The guys obviously have great senses of humor, but trying to stick that into a song just doesn't work for them (RTB rap anyone? 062802puke_prv.gif ). Their music, especially in the 70's and 80's was so great, that trying to make a funny song just seems beneath them and will drag an album down.

3. Most of the time they do narration, it ruins a song for me. This is especially evident with The Necromancer (which would have been great otherwise) and Cygnus X-1 (which along with the screaming at the very end drags down the song immensely). The rap in RTB is awful for this reason as well.

4. Hold Your Fire is one of their best albums. This is the other album I love that so often gets thrown under the bus. Admittedly, the last two songs keep this album from true greatness, but otherwise the first 8 songs are excellent.

5. The keyboard era was incredible. A lot of people hate the keyboard era, but I loved it, and I've bitterly missed the keyboards in every subsequent Rush album. These albums were innovative and interesting, and the keys added a level of depth to the music that's been missing ever since they went back to basics.

6. Presto is a very mediocre album. The quality of the lyrics dropped dramatically from HYF to Presto - most people don't agree. The notable exceptions are The Pass and Chain Lightning, which are great, but the lyrics on the rest of the album go from average to pretty embarrassingly bad, especially some of the lyrics on War Paint, Scars and Superconductor.

7. Available Light is an EXTREMELY overrated song. I can't stand the falsetto he uses when he sings "in the available light" - major turn off. I just don't get the song.

8. RTB is simply not a good album. Dreamline is excellent, Bravado is ok and the instrumental is ok, but most of the rest of it awful. I thought some of the lyrics in Presto were embarrassingly bad, but here we have Face Up, Neurotica and You Bet Your Life, not to mention (again) the horrendous rap in RTB. The Big Wheel and Heresy are also pretty bad.

9. Ghost of a Chance is a depressing song. Some find it uplifting, but I don't. I DO believe in all those things he emphatically states he doesn't believe in in the song.

10. Counterparts was a comeback album after two major duds. A lot of people don't see those as duds, so they don't share this view.

11. T4E has no memorable songs at all. The album is just heavy and that's pretty much it for me. Resist is highly overrated and only started really getting attention when they did the acoustic version of it. And again there are songs with horribly embarrassing lyrics, perhaps more so than some of the songs on Presto and RTB, namely Test For Echo, Totem, Dog Years and Virtuality. What on earth was Neil thinking with some of these lyrics?

12. VT is a complete disaster in every conceivable way. There's the obvious mastering problem, but outside of that the songs just aren't good - the lyrics are depressing and the songs are just too structured and relentlessly intense. There's no guitar solos, the songs are too long, the album is too long, there's the annoying Geddy choirs, etc. The album should have been scrapped. The album is a true embarrassment to their legacy. I can't understand how anyone likes it.

13. S&A is actually a very good album, and again it's a HUGE comeback album. Many here seem to hate on it. The first three songs in particular are outstanding, and the instrumentals are by far their best post-1981.

14. The first three songs from CA aren't that good, with the exception of Headlong Flight which is very good, but not great.

15. The atheistic lyrics on Faithless and BU2B bother me. I admit it, they just do. He's entitled to his beliefs, or lack thereof, but it's hard for me to like a song that I so sincerely disagree with philosophically. I feel similarly about Ghost of a Chance. Many argue that songs like Freewill and other older songs have the same theme, but I disagree - previously his beliefs were done in a way much more open to interpretation, but in these songs they're very blatant and obvious. I don't think doing really polarizing songs like these were a good idea, and I'd feel exactly the same way if the songs were super religious on the other end of the spectrum. I just don't like the preachiness either way. Some people don't care (especially if they agree with the philosophy in these songs), and that's cool, but I do.

16. I don't give a shit about Neil's blog or books. I like to have it pointed out where he gives Rush related information and news, but the rest of it I see no point in personally. I sincerely feel that if he wasn't a member of this band beloved by so many, his books would have gone nowhere.

17. That said, Neil is NOT an asshole. I have no problem whatsoever with his behavior or choices in how he interacts (or doesn't as the case may be) with fans. That's completely his choice. I care only if he gives his all into his drumming and songwriting, and that he does, even if I don't always love everything he comes up with.

18. While I like the personalities and humor of the members of the band, I love this band pretty much 100% because of their music and lyrics. I also appreciate their integrity, but only in the way it affects the music, meaning they've always put out what they wanted to put out as opposed to just what they thought would be popular or successful. Of course this hasn't always worked in their favor when they've put out sub-standard albums, but you can't win 'em all! It's cool that they're nice guys and have avoided the controversy and problems that so many bands face, but I only care about that in terms of them being able to keep on making music.

I agree with most of your points, Goob. I don't mind the atheistic lyrics, but making songs to show it off just seems overly offensive for no reason.

I love Hold Your Fire, easily in my top 5 and your point about 80's rush and the synths is spot on.

I like RTB for the music more than the lyrics, and I have to agree that the lyrics are sub par.

But I love Available Light! It's uplifting and atmospheric while also being quite haunting. The falsetto adds to the feeling of the song beautifully.

Anyway this isn't a thread for judgement Thanks for the reply man!

QUOTE (Czarcasm @ May 1 2012, 10:22 AM)

I'll begin.

I think that Hand over Fist is not only one of the stronger tracks from Presto, but also one of Rush's stronger tracks from the 1980's.

I think that as an actual prog band, Rush is mediocre. They pale in comparison next to better prog bands such as Pink Floyd and ELP. That's why I like the 80's more than the 70's in Rush's catalogue.

Ah, That's MUCH better.

And just to clarify, this is NOT a troll thread. These are genuine opinions I have about Rush.

Vapor Trails is actually quite good.

Grace Under Pressure is only mediocre. Not bad, but it lacks that one "awesome" song compelling me to spin it. It's just a collection of good-but-not-great songs, IMO. Were it not for the sublime "Available Light," I'd have the same opinion of Presto.

Hold Your Fire is the best Rush album from the keyboard era, besting GUP and PoW.

"The Pass" is over-rated, by both the band and its fans. Meh. Same with "Bravado." Snoozers!

Other than "Dreamline," Roll the Bones is poop. (Actually, this one I know I'm not alone on.)

I get into trouble with this opinion every time: While nobody in the band is "replaceable," and I certainly wouldn't advocate that somebody really BE replaced, I think Alex would be much easier to replace than Geddy or Neil. I believe there's easily a hundred equally good guitarists out there, but there's only one Neil Peart or Geddy Lee. [Forget it, people. Let it go this time; let me get away with it. It's just my opinion; I don't really WANT to replace Alex!]

QUOTE (Cyclonus X-1 @ May 1 2012, 11:09 AM)

Power Windows is my least favorite Rush album, and I hope the band does not play Middletown Dreams during the next (or any other upcoming) tour.

I liked la Villa a while back, now not so much. I have to agree with you.

YBYL is Awesome also! The ending solo gives me chills and the chanting sections are just so different and so 2.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 1 2012, 11:18 AM)
QUOTE (Czarcasm @ May 1 2012, 10:22 AM)

I'll begin.

Ah, That's MUCH better.

Vapor Trails is actually quite good.

Grace Under Pressure is only mediocre. Not bad, but it lacks that one "awesome" song compelling me to spin it. It's just a collection of good-but-not-great songs, IMO. Were it not for the sublime "Available Light," I'd have the same opinion of Presto.

Hold Your Fire is the best Rush album from the keyboard era, besting GUP and PoW.

"The Pass" is over-rated, by both the band and its fans. Meh. Same with "Bravado." Snoozers!

Other than "Dreamline," Roll the Bones is poop. (Actually, this one I know I'm not alone on.)

I get into trouble with this opinion every time: While nobody in the band is "replaceable," and I certainly wouldn't advocate that somebody really BE replaced, I think Alex would be much easier to replace than Geddy or Neil. I believe there's easily a hundred equally good guitarists out there, but there's only one Neil Peart or Geddy Lee. [Forget it, people. Let it go this time; let me get away with it. It's just my opinion; I don't really WANT to replace Alex!]

YES.

Your comment about The Pass mirrors my own. And while I would never replace Alex, I can see where you're coming from, friend. Geddy and Neil are the strongest rhythm section in rock! Changing that would be a crime!

Can you imagine if Dave Gilmour replaced Alex? Even for a tour?! I would give Rush all of my money.

QUOTE (Merely Space @ May 1 2012, 11:20 AM)
Oh, I nearly forgot my most controversial opinion:

Headlong Flight is NOT an epic.

Well that's hardly an opinion. Headlong Flight is to an epic what Half the World is to a rock anthem.

Neil is obviously good, but I am beginning to think he is a bit over-rated. There really are good number of drummers I think are better, from my standpoint.

I don't get the love for Vapor Trails. I think it is their worst release.

I would like Neil needs to find spirituality, but not religion.

QUOTE (Czarcasm @ May 1 2012, 12:24 PM)
QUOTE (Merely Space @ May 1 2012, 11:20 AM)
Oh, I nearly forgot my most controversial opinion:

Headlong Flight is NOT an epic.

Well that's hardly an opinion. Headlong Flight is to an epic what Half the World is to a rock anthem.

HF epic? Please! That is wishful thinking. Rush hasn't had an epic since The Camera Eye.

QUOTE (Merely Space @ May 1 2012, 09:15 AM)
How did I know Goober was going to write a book?

rofl3.gif

What can I say, I've got a lot to say! tongue.gif blush4.gif trink39.gif

P.S. - since you posted this, I added a #19 and #20, but I think I'm done now. unsure.gif

QUOTE (Czarcasm @ May 1 2012, 09:16 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 1 2012, 11:08 AM)
1. Their debut is one of their best albums.  So many people criticize this album and I just don't get it - I understand that lyrics got much better after this album, and you can't compare Rutsey to Peart, but Rutsey still was pretty great, and the album just kicks so much ass that those deficiencies don't bother me in the slightest.

2. I can't stand I Think I'm Going Bald - the lyrics, while trying to make a point, are just too silly for Rush.  The guys obviously have great senses of humor, but trying to stick that into a song just doesn't work for them (RTB rap anyone? 062802puke_prv.gif ).  Their music, especially in the 70's and 80's was so great, that trying to make a funny song just seems beneath them and will drag an album down.

3. Most of the time they do narration, it ruins a song for me.  This is especially evident with The Necromancer (which would have been great otherwise) and Cygnus X-1 (which along with the screaming at the very end drags down the song immensely).  The rap in RTB is awful for this reason as well.

4. Hold Your Fire is one of their best albums.  This is the other album I love that so often gets thrown under the bus.  Admittedly, the last two songs keep this album from true greatness, but otherwise the first 8 songs are excellent.

5. The keyboard era was incredible.  A lot of people hate the keyboard era, but I loved it, and I've bitterly missed the keyboards in every subsequent Rush album.  These albums were innovative and interesting, and the keys added a level of depth to the music that's been missing ever since they went back to basics.

6. Presto is a very mediocre album.  The quality of the lyrics dropped dramatically from HYF to Presto - most people don't agree.  The notable exceptions are The Pass and Chain Lightning, which are great, but the lyrics on the rest of the album go from average to pretty embarrassingly bad, especially some of the lyrics on War Paint, Scars and Superconductor.

7. Available Light is an EXTREMELY overrated song.  I can't stand the falsetto he uses when he sings "in the available light" - major turn off.  I just don't get the song.

8. RTB is simply not a good album.  Dreamline is excellent, Bravado is ok and the instrumental is ok, but most of the rest of it awful.  I thought some of the lyrics in Presto were embarrassingly bad, but here we have Face Up, Neurotica and You Bet Your Life, not to mention (again) the horrendous rap in RTB.  The Big Wheel and Heresy are also pretty bad.

9. Ghost of a Chance is a depressing song.  Some find it uplifting, but I don't.  I DO believe in all those things he emphatically states he doesn't believe in in the song.

10. Counterparts was a comeback album after two major duds.  A lot of people don't see those as duds, so they don't share this view.

11. T4E has no memorable songs at all.  The album is just heavy and that's pretty much it for me.  Resist is highly overrated and only started really getting attention when they did the acoustic version of it.  And again there are songs with horribly embarrassing lyrics, perhaps more so than some of the songs on Presto and RTB, namely Test For Echo, Totem, Dog Years and Virtuality.  What on earth was Neil thinking with some of these lyrics?

12. VT is a complete disaster in every conceivable way.  There's the obvious mastering problem, but outside of that the songs just aren't good - the lyrics are depressing and the songs are just too structured and relentlessly intense.  There's no guitar solos, the songs are too long, the album is too long, there's the annoying Geddy choirs, etc.  The album should have been scrapped.  The album is a true embarrassment to their legacy.  I can't understand how anyone likes it.

13. S&A is actually a very good album, and again it's a HUGE comeback album.  Many here seem to hate on it.  The first three songs in particular are outstanding, and the instrumentals are by far their best post-1981.

15. The atheistic lyrics on Faithless and BU2B bother me.  I admit it, they just do.  He's entitled to his beliefs, or lack thereof, but it's hard for me to like a song that I so sincerely disagree with philosophically.  I feel similarly about Ghost of a Chance.  Many argue that songs like Freewill and other older songs have the same theme, but I disagree - previously his beliefs were done in a way much more open to interpretation, but in these songs they're very blatant and obvious.  I don't think doing really polarizing songs like these were a good idea, and I'd feel exactly the same way if the songs were super religious on the other end of the spectrum.  I just don't like the preachiness either way.  Some people don't care (especially if they agree with the philosophy in these songs), and that's cool, but I do.

16. I don't give a shit about Neil's blog or books.  I like to have it pointed out where he gives Rush related information and news, but the rest of it I see no point in personally.  I sincerely feel that if he wasn't a member of this band beloved by so many, his books would have gone nowhere.

17. That said, Neil is NOT an asshole.  I have no problem whatsoever with his behavior or choices in how he interacts (or doesn't as the case may be) with fans.  That's completely his choice.  I care only if he gives his all into his drumming and songwriting, and that he does, even if I don't always love everything he comes up with.

18. While I like the personalities and humor of the members of the band, I love this band pretty much 100% because of their music and lyrics.  I also appreciate their integrity, but only in the way it affects the music, meaning they've always put out what they wanted to put out as opposed to just what they thought would be popular or successful.  Of course this hasn't always worked in their favor when they've put out sub-standard albums, but you can't win 'em all!  It's cool that they're nice guys and have avoided the controversy and problems that so many bands face, but I only care about that in terms of them being able to keep on making music.

I agree with most of your points, Goob. I don't mind the atheistic lyrics, but making songs to show it off just seems overly offensive for no reason.

I love Hold Your Fire, easily in my top 5 and your point about 80's rush and the synths is spot on.

I like RTB for the music more than the lyrics, and I have to agree that the lyrics are sub par.

But I love Available Light! It's uplifting and atmospheric while also being quite haunting. The falsetto adds to the feeling of the song beautifully.

Anyway this isn't a thread for judgement Thanks for the reply man!

trink39.gif

I'm about to get back to work so I can't write my own list yet... but if this is supposed to be a thread of unpopular opinions, I don't think trashing VT, I Think I'm Going Bald, Presto and the rap in RTB is really in the spirit of the thread wink.gif

I'll come up with a list later on, but it'll have things on it like: Tom Sawyer is overrated, Moving Pictures isn't their best album, 2112 is lyrically weak... opinions I genuinely have that probably 90% of people here disagree with.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 1 2012, 11:29 AM)
QUOTE (Merely Space @ May 1 2012, 09:15 AM)
How did I know Goober was going to write a book?

rofl3.gif

What can I say, I've got a lot to say! tongue.gif blush4.gif trink39.gif

P.S. - since you posted this, I added a #19 and #20, but I think I'm done now. unsure.gif

trink39.gif Nothing wrong with that!

QUOTE (Gompers @ May 1 2012, 09:27 AM)

Agreed. yes.gif

Interestingly, some of his older lyrics seem to reflect this to an extent in songs like Closer to the Heart, Mystic Rhythms and Mission, but that seems to be lost now.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 1 2012, 09:30 AM)
I'm about to get back to work so I can't write my own list yet... but if this is supposed to be a thread of unpopular opinions, I don't think trashing VT, I Think I'm Going Bald, Presto and the rap in RTB is really in the spirit of the thread wink.gif

I completely understand, and even somewhat agree, but around here (TRF), trashing ANYTHING Rush is usually an unpopular opinion, and in terms of the subtitle of the thread; "That people would crucify you for having," I've definitely been crucified for each one of the opinions I've stated, even though some are obviously more controversial than others!

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 1 2012, 11:34 AM)

Agreed. yes.gif

Interestingly, some of his older lyrics seem to reflect this to an extent in songs like Closer to the Heart, Mystic Rhythms and Mission, but that seems to be lost now.

I think "Mystic Rhythms" is the most spiritual thing he's written; it definitely reflects an appreciation for the Great Mystery of life. To a lesser extent, "Prime Mover" is also a "spiritual" song: it at least ALLOWS for a Creator, although that creator (the "Prime Mover" of the title) started the world but now takes a backseat in our goings-on. (Read all of the italicized parts on the lyric sheet as being narrated by "God," and you'll see.)

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 1 2012, 12:34 PM)

Agreed. yes.gif

Read the lyrics to "And The Stars Look Down". I believe it is sarcasm, yet another song about the lack of a divine spirit or spiritual guide.

QUOTE (Cyclonus X-1 @ May 1 2012, 09:09 AM)

Wow, I disagree with EVERYTHING you said! tongue.gif

I don't know if it's an unpopular opinion or not, and I hate to weigh in at all, but I am frequently annoyed by Alex's guitar tone. Generally one of the weakest tones among players from my favorite bands.

There, I said something negative about Rush tongue.gif