Grey Waters

Alcest

Lantlos

Moonlit Sailor

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow, most of these bands are ancient. I am going to guess I am one of the younger forum members based on what I have seen so far so will represent some new stuff to go with the classics

1. Pink Floyd.

2. The Beatles

3. Metallica

4. System of a Down

5. Foo Fighters

6. Van Halen

7. Green Day

8. Alice in Chains (especially with Layne)

9. The Police

10. The Who

(RUSH of course is #1)

1) Genesis

2) ELP

3) Donnie Iris and The Cruisers

4) Jethro Tull

5) Yes

6) Queen

7) ELO

8) ZZ Top

9) GWAR

10) Pink Floyd

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ May 1 2012, 04:33 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ May 1 2012, 09:17 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ May 1 2012, 03:50 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ May 1 2012, 03:45 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ May 1 2012, 01:46 PM)
In no order

Bananarama
Mr. Mister
Flock Of Seagulls
Duran Duran
Poison
The Cure
Jackson 5
Maroon 5
Alien Ant Farm
Papa Roach

That's a good joke but seriously metaldad......there is good music out there that doesn't feature heavy guitars. yes.gif

eh.gif I know bro, a little joke. Don't let the name fool you

It was a good joke though. I can seriously picture you spinning some Bananarama. laugh.gif

So can I. I have the pictures.

His favourite tune is Robert De Niro Is Waiting.

The whole Metal thang is a smokescreen, so he can listen to perfectly pink '80's pop to his hearts content without being rumbled.

His name is Rio.

z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (BigBob @ May 2 2012, 11:30 AM)
(RUSH of course is #1)
1) Genesis
2) ELP
4) Jethro Tull
5) Yes
6) Queen
7) ELO
8) ZZ Top
9) GWAR
10) Pink Floyd

Love the fact that another Rush fan other than me likes Gwar! trink39.gif

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ May 4 2012, 01:04 AM)
(RUSH of course is #1)
1) Genesis
2) ELP
4) Jethro Tull
5) Yes
6) Queen
7) ELO
8) ZZ Top
9) GWAR
10) Pink Floyd

Do you like Megadeth being that you like Maiden so much? I've always thought Megadeth is better than Metallica personally. 1022.gif

i have so many favorite bands but I suppose based on just listening to studio and live albums and boots, I'd probably go with:

Beatles

Pink Floyd

Scorpions

Iron Maiden

Van Halen

Triumph

Joe Satriani

Led Zeppelin

Blue Oyster Cult

Judas Priest

Metallica

April Wine

The Who

Journey

and about a thousand more....

QUOTE (presto123 @ May 4 2012, 01:11 AM)
QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ May 4 2012, 01:04 AM)
(RUSH of course is #1)
1) Genesis
2) ELP
4) Jethro Tull
5) Yes
6) Queen
7) ELO
8) ZZ Top
9) GWAR
10) Pink Floyd

Do you like Megadeth being that you like Maiden so much? I've always thought Megadeth is better than Metallica personally. 1022.gif

I do like Megadeth, not a huge fan, but I also have always considered them far superior to Metallica. Mustaine is better than Hetfield and Hammett combined. Haven't bought anything after Youthanasia, but all the albums up to that have been pretty damn good. 1022.gif

QUOTE (Echoes @ May 1 2012, 09:24 PM)
A Perfect Circle
Tori Amos
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
Puscifer
Tool
30 Seconds to Mars
Paramore
The Cranberries
Alanis Morissette

Honorable mention:
Paul McCartney
Aerosmith
Tegan and Sara
Garbage
Kiss
No Doubt

Woo hoo. Another Cranberries and Garbage fan. Two great bands. Did you like the new Cranberries that just came out? Reminds me of classic Cranberries in many ways. New Garbage to hit in three more weeks. 653.gif

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ May 4 2012, 02:04 AM)
(RUSH of course is #1)
1) Genesis
2) ELP
4) Jethro Tull
5) Yes
6) Queen
7) ELO
8) ZZ Top
9) GWAR
10) Pink Floyd

Come join the WAR Party! 1287.gif

This is constantly rotating and changing.... and I like a lot of solo artists (especially electronic stuff), so this isn't a very accurate reflection of my taste in general, but aaaaanywho....

1) M83

2) Air

3) Arcade Fire

4) Red Hot Chili Peppers

5) Yes

6) Muse

7) The Police

8) Led Zeppelin

9) Yeasayer

10) The Flaming Lips

I can surely say that my top 10 is more diverse than the usual Rush fan.

In no significant order:

1. Asian Kung-Fu Generation

2. Weezer

3. Coldplay

4. The White Stripes

5. The Smashing Pumpkins

6. Nine Inch Nails

7. Green Day

8. The Ting Tings

9. The Police

10. The Replacements

I know the OP said no solo artists but it wouldn't be a true top ten for me if I didn't put solo artists in it.

So, after Rush:

Iron Maiden

Alice Cooper

Black Sabbath

DIO

Nevermore

Megadeth

King Diamond

Anthrax

Dream Theater

Iced Earth

Treeduck would be happy, my list is METAL 1022.gif

10 huh? I'll give it a try.

1. Alice In Chains

2. Stone Temple Pilots

3. Soundgarden/Audioslave

4. Foo Fighters

5. Jane's Addiction

6. Beck

7. Primus

8. Tool

9. The Police

10. 311

The majority of my listening time goes to Rush and the first few entries though.

In no particular order...

Dream Theater

KISS

Metallica

Megadeth

Machine Head

Pink Floyd

Queensryche (DeGarmo era)

Tesla

Iron Maiden

Foo Fighters

Limited to 10, no Rush and no solo artists? Ok, in no particular order here we go:

Triumph

The Who

Iron Maiden

Judas Priest

Def Leppard

Journey

Savatage - Really only got into Streets and Hall of the Mountain King but those two are just great albums. Streets is not only my favorite non-Rush album, I actually like it more than a number of Rush albums. Hall of the Mountain King is almost as good. Not single bad song on those 2 albums.

Nightwish - Just found this group in the last few weeks and they have jumped into my top 10. Only time will tell if they stay their. BTW - new singer not bad. Old singer - WOW. Such a shame they could not work things out and stay together.

Dokken - Just for the first 4 studio albums and the live album that followed.

Twisted Sister - Just for their "Stay hungry" and "Come Out and Play" albums. The rest of their stuff I could care less about (Other than 1 song - You Cant Stop Rock and Roll).

Tons of other groups I like but some don't have enough good songs, or have a number of good songs but they are spread over a number of albums and the rest of the stuff on the albums turns me off. Some other groups (Zepplin being the best example) are just overplayed.

Even picking these 10 was hard!

QUOTE (TheAccountant @ May 10 2012, 05:35 PM)
Limited to 10, no Rush and no solo artists? Ok, in no particular order here we go:

Triumph

The Who

Iron Maiden

Judas Priest

Def Leppard

Journey

Savatage - Really only got into Streets and Hall of the Mountain King but those two are just great albums. Streets is not only my favorite non-Rush album, I actually like it more than a number of Rush albums. Hall of the Mountain King is almost as good. Not single bad song on those 2 albums.

Nightwish - Just found this group in the last few weeks and they have jumped into my top 10. Only time will tell if they stay their. BTW - new singer not bad. Old singer - WOW. Such a shame they could not work things out and stay together.

Twisted Sister - Just for their "Stay hungry" and "Come Out and Play" albums. The rest of their stuff I could care less about (Other than 1 song - You Cant Stop Rock and Roll).

Tons of other groups I like but some don't have enough good songs, or have a number of good songs but they are spread over a number of albums and the rest of the stuff on the albums turns me off. Some other groups (Zepplin being the best example) are just overplayed.

You need to check out the album Gutter Ballet from Savatage. I think it's better than Mountian King but not quite as good as Streets which is my favorite from them.

Here's my favorite from Gutter Ballet, "When The Crowds Are Gone":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BDkIEjhtCM

Brilliant song trink39.gif

Nightwish is really good. They've actually gotten more popular with the new singer, so financially the descison to let Tarja go worked out for them. While Annete isn't as good of a singer, she's not a bad one at all herself, her voice is certainly the more overall appealing than the opera vocals of Tarja.

blink-182

My Chemical Romance

Radiohead

Morrissey

Green Day

The Smiths

Lupe Fiasco

Yes

Jay-Z

Coldplay

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ May 10 2012, 06:12 PM)
QUOTE (TheAccountant @ May 10 2012, 05:35 PM)
Limited to 10, no Rush and no solo artists?  Ok, in no particular order here we go:

Triumph

The Who

Iron Maiden

Judas Priest

Def Leppard

Journey

Savatage - Really only got into Streets and Hall of the Mountain King but those two are just great albums.  Streets is not only my favorite non-Rush album, I actually like it more than a number of Rush albums.  Hall of the Mountain King is almost as good.  Not  single bad song on those 2 albums.

Nightwish - Just found this group in the last few weeks and they have jumped into my top 10.  Only time will tell if they stay their.  BTW - new singer not bad.  Old singer  - WOW.  Such a shame they could not work things out and stay together.

Twisted Sister - Just for their "Stay hungry" and "Come Out and Play" albums.  The rest of their stuff I could care less about (Other than 1 song - You Cant Stop Rock and Roll).

Tons of other groups I like but some don't have enough good songs, or have a number of good songs but they are spread over a number of albums and the rest of the stuff on the albums turns me off.  Some other groups (Zepplin being the best example) are just overplayed.

You need to check out the album Gutter Ballet from Savatage. I think it's better than Mountian King but not quite as good as Streets which is my favorite from them.

Here's my favorite from Gutter Ballet, "When The Crowds Are Gone":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BDkIEjhtCM

Brilliant song trink39.gif

Nightwish is really good. They've actually gotten more popular with the new singer, so financially the descison to let Tarja go worked out for them. While Annete isn't as good of a singer, she's not a bad one at all herself, her voice is certainly the more overall appealing than the opera vocals of Tarja.

Thanks for the recommendations. I will give Gutter Ballet another try. I remember when it first came out I ran out and bought it. After Hall of the Mountain King I thought they were about to break huge. Got it, listened to it and was disappointed. Did not care for it. When Streets came out I picked it more on a wim than anything else. Just sort of thought "What the heck. Give these guys one last shot. Then don't get anything more in the future if this is as bad as Gutter Ballet." Totally loved it. Played it every night for months on end.

Perhaps gutter Ballet will have aged well for me. It would not be the first album I went back to years latter and liked.

Interesting thing about Tarja's vocals - I like the opera sound. Then again, I like some opera (esp. The Ring Cycle). Yes I know - a little weird, but there is no accounting for taste.

For me the other interesting part of the opera vocals is I can remember telling some folks (when I was in college back in the 80's) that heavy metal and opera were a natural match. They all laughter at me and I was like "No. They are a perfect pair. Put an opera singer with a heavy metal band and you would have a great sound".

I understand that Annette sounds better on Imaginaerum than on DPP. Just picked up Imaginaerum so I should find out in the next day or two when I get around to listening to it. DPP was good but not great (IMHO)

Thanks a ton for the recommendations!! Much appreciated.

trink39.gif