SIGNALS anniversary...

Alchemical

How should Rush deal with the 30th anniversary of Signals?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. How should Rush deal with the 30th anniversary of Signals?

• Perform Signals in its entirety.
    • Perform a 10+ minute Signals medley encompassing the entire album.
    • Perform JUST Subdivisions, but not before mentioning that its the 30th anniversary of Signals.
    • Perform Subdivisions along with a few other songs from the album (Digital Man, Analog Kid, The Weapon, Losing It).
    • Don't perform anything from Signals, I hate that album anyway.

Signals in its entirety would be far too gratuitous especially considering this is the CA tour, though I'll admit just a medley wouldn't satisfy me either. I'd be fine with Subdivisions and two or three other songs from Signals personally.

It'd be kinda silly to do another entire album tribute - once with Moving Pictures would be enough! Cuz then, for R40, would they do the entire Grace Under Pressure album? It's a great idea, and they did it, but once is enough. Unless they want to do all of Hemipsheres. yes.gif

A medley would be cool! I'd be happy with that. Dunno how songs would get segued together, but 10 minutes of Signals would be great.

And as much as I like Subdivisions, I'd heard it a lot, and wouldn't mind a chance for a different Signals song to shine, though I'm sure it'll get played anyway!

I'm fine with 1-3 songs from Signals but I don't get this sudden uproar about celebrating 30 year anniversaries. Nobody said one word about this sort of thing until Rush themselves decided to do Time Machine, and now all of a sudden there has to be a special 30th anniversary of everything else? Will the forum get wet in a couple of years at the thought of playing P/G in its entirety for its 30th anniversary? Or PoW?

The completely ignored the 30th anniversaries of their first seven albums. Moving Pictures was a big deal and considering Signals is when a significant number of fans jumped ship, I don't get why you guys think they'd want to celebrate it.

I chose "Play Subdivisions and a few other songs from Signals".

Maybe if they did like a 4-song suite from Signals, THAT could be neat. Subdivisions, Analog Kid, The Weapon, and New World Man, all back-to-back would be a cool tribute to the album's 30th anniversary yes.gif

Edited by ALifeson85

Its my favorite Rush album, the one that started it all for me...I'd love to hear the whole thing.

Would also like to find out for sure whether that's their plan or not. The cover of the tour book serves as good circumstantial evidence, but would be great to get something conclusive, either way...

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 29 2012, 08:27 AM)
I'm fine with 1-3 songs from Signals but I don't get this sudden uproar about celebrating 30 year anniversaries. Nobody said one word about this sort of thing until Rush themselves decided to do Time Machine, and now all of a sudden there has to be a special 30th anniversary of everything else? Will the forum get wet in a couple of years at the thought of playing P/G in its entirety for its 30th anniversary? Or PoW?

The completely ignored the 30th anniversaries of their first seven albums. Moving Pictures was a big deal and considering Signals is when a significant number of fans jumped ship, I don't get why you guys think they'd want to celebrate it.

Did a significant number of fans really jump ship because of Signals? I am not entirely confident that you are wrong, but I would like to understand how one draws such a conclusion.

They continued releasing platinum-selling albums after Signals. Moreover, Signals, P/G, and Power Windows were all top-ten in the U.S.

From 1991-2007 Signals sold 305,000 copies--more than Permanent Waves, Hemispheres, Fly By Night, or A Farewell to Kings.

I just see this argument about Signals all the time, but I have yet to see someone demonstrate how they arrive at the conclusion that the album precipitated the loss of a substantial portion of Rush's fanbase.

Album reviews are not really a useful window into fans' response to Signals. After all, the music press's tradition of lambasting Rush's output stretches back years before Signals's release.

I sometimes suspect this narrative was constructed and promoted by fans who personally hated, or continue to hate the album.

Perhaps I'm wrong.

QUOTE (Powderfinger @ Apr 29 2012, 09:43 AM)

Did a significant number of fans really jump ship because of Signals? I am not entirely confident that you are wrong, but I would like to understand how one draws such a conclusion.

They continued releasing platinum-selling albums after Signals. Moreover, Signals, P/G, and Power Windows were all top-ten in the U.S.

From 1991-2007 Signals sold 305,000 copies--more than Permanent Waves, Hemispheres, Fly By Night, or A Farewell to Kings.

I just see this argument about Signals all the time, but I have yet to see someone demonstrate how they arrive at the conclusion that the album precipitated the loss of a substantial portion of Rush's fanbase.

Album reviews are not really a useful window into fans' response to Signals. After all, the music press's tradition of lambasting Rush's output stretches back years before Signals's release.

I sometimes suspect this narrative was constructed and promoted by fans who personally hated, or continue to hate the album.

Perhaps I'm wrong.

Moving Pictures has, to date, sold 4x Platinum. Signals has, to date, sold Platinum. I consider that a significant drop. Your definition may vary.

[edited to add:]

I happen to like Signals quite a lot, and I like their 80's material more than their 70's material. Don't take my dislike of the ideas of celebrating the anniversary or of playing the whole thing in concert as disliking the album itself. I think that this mania that some people have about the number 30 is completely arbitrary and at times, over the top and ridiculous, that's all. As I said, they skipped the 30th anniversary of the first 7 albums and nobody was even thinking about celebrating album anniversaries until two years ago when Rush had the idea to do Moving Pictures.

Edited by danielmclark

I wouldn't mind hearing "The Analog Kid" and "Chemistry".

"Signals" may have lost fans but they gained a lot of new ones. "Subdivisions" was a song that so many took to heart and spoke of their experiences in high school and life.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 29 2012, 11:00 AM)
QUOTE (Powderfinger @ Apr 29 2012, 09:43 AM)

Perhaps I'm wrong.

Moving Pictures has, to date, sold 4x Platinum. Signals has, to date, sold Platinum. I consider that a significant drop. Your definition may vary.

[edited to add:]

I happen to like Signals quite a lot, and I like their 80's material more than their 70's material. Don't take my dislike of the ideas of celebrating the anniversary or of playing the whole thing in concert as disliking the album itself. I think that this mania that some people have about the number 30 is completely arbitrary and at times, over the top and ridiculous, that's all. As I said, they skipped the 30th anniversary of the first 7 albums and nobody was even thinking about celebrating album anniversaries until two years ago when Rush had the idea to do Moving Pictures.

That's cool. I didn't mean to be too forceful in my point. Full disclosure: Signals is my favorite Rush album. And while I hate arguing on message boards, Signals is sort of the one thing I can't seem to avoid debating--because I love the album! wink.gif

The point about Moving Pictures' sales doesn't really work for me. That's total sales over the entire life of the album. Rush didn't sell four million copies of Moving Pics before Signals was released. MP enjoys the highest level of sales partly because it has Rush's most popular songs: Tom Sawyer and Limelight. And it is considered their classic album that has been purchased not just by diehards, but by people who are general classic rock aficionados.

To compare Signals's overall sales to MP isn't really evidence that it divided the fanbase. To date, Permanent Waves has sold significantly less copies than 2112. But no one argues that Permanent Waves divided the fanbase. Know what I mean?

Again, I am just trying to stick up for an album that I love. And I know you don't have an agenda against it. I guess it's the historian in me that's coming out. I'm skeptical of the narrative that surrounds Signals. I've never really understood the evidence on which the argument about it's divisiveness is constructed.

I'm not picking on you as much as I'm letting my frustrations over this topic come to the fore. I'm not trying to insist that I'm right on this. Just want to have a fun discussion. biggrin.gif

Because of the way Rush changes their sounds every so many albums, they are bound to lose fans but gain some. Hold Your Fire is my fave album, but I don't doubt for a second that many fans were upset over that one.

I'd say option 4 but without Subdivisions - that song's been wayy overplayed I think. I really hope they don't play all of Signals. It's a good album, but I wouldn't put it on the same level as Moving Pictures and there's so many songs from other albums I'd rather hear them play anyway. Imo if they do play another album in it's entiretly, it should be Permanent Waves. And I can't help but think that the guys in the band would agree with that. Guess we'll have to wait and see... Edited by Drummerrobin

Signals being my 2nd favorite Rush album, I would LOVE for them to play it in its entirity.

Subdivisions is what turned me on to Rush!

They are going to do the same thing they did during the Snake and Arrow Tour for Permanent Waves Play like 4 or 5 songs form the album.

I think it will be:

Subdivisions

Analog Kid

New World Man

Digital Man

either:

The Weapon or Countdown

(If they tour with a String Section):

Losing It!

One of my favorite Rush albums. I still remember the day my father brought it home and peeled the cellophane off the album cover.

Play it all!

QUOTE (bruggy66 @ Apr 30 2012, 08:56 AM)
How about an acoustic version of "losing it"?

I'll take any version of losing It about now. I rather have the actual version though and if they are toruing with a string section that is very possible.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

They would have advertised if they were doing the whole album, we prob will get 2 songs top's