Atlantic Remasters: Presto - TFE

EmotionDetector

I've often wondered about the remastered versions of the 90's albums from Atlantic:

Presto / Roll The Bones / Counterparts / Test For Echo

Being in Canada, I usually only find the Anthem copies here, and have yet to see a remastered version of any of these 4 Atlantic remasters in any store here.

I've always been curious of the sound quality on these...specifically on Presto and RTB considering their ultra-thin production. Have the songs really changed? Are they beefed up at all (is this even possible?)?

So, my question is, do any of you guys own these? What do you think of them in comparison to their originals? Are they worth the purchase in your opinion?

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 27 2012, 12:55 PM)
I've often wondered about the remastered versions of the 90's albums from Atlantic:

Presto / Roll The Bones / Counterparts / Test For Echo

Being in Canada, I usually only find the Anthem copies here, and have yet to see a remastered version of any of these 4 Atlantic remasters in any store here.

I've always been curious of the sound quality on these...specifically on Presto and RTB considering their ultra-thin production. Have the songs really changed? Are they beefed up at all (is this even possible?)?

So, my question is, do any of you guys own these? What do you think of them in comparison to their originals? Are they worth the purchase in your opinion?

HMV Canada claims to have Counterparts(remaster), but i have yet to find it? 2.gif

I have all four remasters, but the only one I also have non-remastered is RTB. I don't think they sound THAT different, though the remaster is louder. Then again, I'm not an audiophile with a great system, and my hearing is crap, so don't go by me.

When the remasters first came out in 1997 there was some interest based on the fact that the sound varied greatly on those four albums. If you tried to make a 90s compilation of Rush from those CDs you could always tell what songs came from what album. The remastered versions were all about the same level of loudness. The only one that might have benefited from the 97 remastering was Test For Echo. Any version that you get of those four is not terribly noticeable.

Presto and Roll The Bones sound slightly more crisp and defined (You might want to check out the since released Audio Fidelity Gold Disc of Roll The Bones which sounds even better.)

And on Counterparts and Test For Echo, the improvement is not as great. I'd get them only if you were a big fan of these albums (as I am)

The art and liners pretty much are inferior to the originals though. They are bad reproductions. I'm not sure how they managed to screw that up. Maybe they weren't given the original art to work with.

That's really the only flaw though. I'd say they are worth it until something better comes along.

I just remembered that some background vocals on one of the Test For Echo songs is missing. Was it Dog Years? Maybe someone with a better memory than I can help out.

The T4E remaster is missing the "sissyphus" vocals in Carve Away the Stone....haven't heard it and not sure if that matters at all.

But I do have the Presto remaster and it is a mild improvement. But the disc itself look exactly the same as the original pressing so I don't know which is which anymore....

Edited by savagegrace26

I actually prefer the original master of T4E. I noticed the missing "Sisyphus" bit immediately (it was always a subtle background thing admittedly, but I had always noticed it there from the first time I heard the song), but in reality I just like the old master better overall. It's sonically almost identical, but just seems somewhat less tiring to the ears.

The rest of the 90's stuff are in the same boat. In my opinion, they didn't really need remastering. Presto and Bones sound thin, sure, but that's kind of Rupert Hine's sonic trademark; a lot of the stuff he's produced (the Fixx and Saga for two) have that same rather thin, crisp sound.

Welcome to TRF, "Bangster of Goats" ! rofl3.gif

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Apr 28 2012, 11:57 PM)
When the remasters first came out in 1997 there was some interest based on the fact that the sound varied greatly on those four albums. If you tried to make a 90s compilation of Rush from those CDs you could always tell what songs came from what album. The remastered versions were all about the same level of loudness. The only one that might have benefited from the 97 remastering was Test For Echo. Any version that you get of those four is not terribly noticeable.

the 97 remasters only included Rush - Hold Your Fire. The Atlantic remasters did not come out until 2004.

QUOTE (Bangster of Goats @ May 17 2012, 06:04 PM)
I actually prefer the original master of T4E. I noticed the missing "Sisyphus" bit immediately (it was always a subtle background thing admittedly, but I had always noticed it there from the first time I heard the song), but in reality I just like the old master better overall. It's sonically almost identical, but just seems somewhat less tiring to the ears.

The rest of the 90's stuff are in the same boat. In my opinion, they didn't really need remastering. Presto and Bones sound thin, sure, but that's kind of Rupert Hine's sonic trademark; a lot of the stuff he's produced (the Fixx and Saga for two) have that same rather thin, crisp sound.

Thanks.

The Test For Echo remaster has been the closest call for me of the four.

I think The Fixx CDs sound great, but they are a much different band than Rush so I wouldn't neccessary apply the same production principles and perhaps that's what Hine did.