A Facebook group to protest VIP Nation's policies

Kelly D

QUOTE (drgrendel @ Apr 27 2012, 12:45 PM)
I took offense to the labelling - the "no self-respecting" portion.

It really does not matter to me where in the first 15 the tickets are - knowing that I have tickets and I can get very decent ones without all the jumping around and going through hoops is worth it. Additionally, the swag is pretty cool as well.

At the same time, I applaud those that can score very close seats via multiple computers and having patience.

We all wear different colors and have differing lives, the use of that label was not necessary and it was quite condescending.

Indeed not knowing for many is awful, but please do not judge those who only care about attending and will use whatever means available to be there.

My apologies for offending you.

Honest question: you'd be totally fine paying $300 to sit in the 15th row?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ioc @ Apr 27 2012, 12:38 PM)
I can see what you're saying, but I think one of us has misunderstood the point of her post/petition.

I thought it was less about the concept of VIP tickets and more about not knowing WHICH seats you just shelled out the premium dough for.

If you use the VIP option, are told you've got 15th row seats and are okay with that, then good on ya.  Knowing what seats you bought doesn't oblige you to kick them back.  But a lot of us don't like the idea of so many PRIME seats taken off the market to be RAFFLED off to us.  We'd just as soon, then, take our chances with the regular presale tickets.  Unfortunately, thanks to VIP, there are less of those to go round for folks who WANT to know which seats they are buying.

I could be wrong, but that's how I understood her argument.

The packages are too expensive to not know where your seats are. Maybe they think people will be less likely to buy the package if they know they are getting a seat further back so they play on our optimism? It just seems wrong, since there are better ways to deter scalpers. It doesn't feel like very VIP treatment.

QUOTE (ioc @ Apr 27 2012, 12:38 PM)
QUOTE (drgrendel @ Apr 27 2012, 12:28 PM)
No self-respecting Rush fan would pay around $300 to see Rush in the 15th row of any venue.

Guess being a fan of the band since 1978 and seeing just about every tour since that time meansexactly that if I buy VIP. 

VIP works for me  - I have a seat and I don't have to go through the hassles of dumping and starting over multiple times.  I could be busy doing what I get paid to do....and that is work.

The whole petition idea is wonderful, but placing tags on fans because they do purchase VIP is rather .......(insert your own term here).

I have had upper-level concert tickets and I have been as close as third-row.  Want to know something?  I loved all the shows equally, but hated the process of getting tickets and fretting.  VIP eliminates that.

So go ahead and refer to me as less than a sefl-respecting Rush fan.  For me, those words show a level of maturity and understanding.

I can see what you're saying, but I think one of us has misunderstood the point of her post/petition.

I thought it was less about the concept of VIP tickets and more about not knowing WHICH seats you just shelled out the premium dough for.

If you use the VIP option, are told you've got 15th row seats and are okay with that, then good on ya. Knowing what seats you bought doesn't oblige you to kick them back. But a lot of us don't like the idea of so many PRIME seats taken off the market to be RAFFLED off to us. We'd just as soon, then, take our chances with the regular presale tickets. Unfortunately, thanks to VIP, there are less of those to go round for folks who WANT to know which seats they are buying.

I could be wrong, but that's how I understood her argument.

Bingo!

A clarification:

My main point is that I would GLADLY pay for a VIP package if I KNEW WHERE I WAS SITTING. I purchased two VIP packages on the 2011 tour and had a lot of fun at the concerts and surprised a friend with the second package of swag.

What I'm upset about is the fact that VIP Nation has now prevented us from picking our seats. Rows 1-15 is a pretty big range of seating options. How it worked last time was great! You saw where your potential seat was and if you didn't like it, you could toss it back. If you DID like it, then boom! $300 goes to a great seat and some cool merchandise. What was so wrong with this system?

What VIP Nation has done is create a ridiculous form of gambling, really, and we don't know what the stakes are. We are completely shut off from knowing how many seats they bought in each row. For all we know, they could have five seats in third row and 50 in row 13. And the people who chose to buy the VIP packages wouldn't know and therefore couldn't make a decision whether or not to spend their money on them!

The "Mission" (ahurr) statement that I posted wasn't a formal thing by any means. I wrote it to get the ball rolling in the FB group. My main point is to get the word out. In the group one can find the contact info of VIP Nation, the head of Live Nation, and so on. I wanted to create a way to get the word out and maybe recruit people who felt the same way I did about this whole nonsense.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 27 2012, 01:59 PM)
I dunno why but I had a feeling this thread would involve sex somehow...

unsure.gif

Ah, treeduck, don't ever change! hug2.gif

Yeah....15th row sucks...

If you ever had the seats I have had for concerts you would probably cover your head in shame....lol

Its all good - fan to a fan - just don't judge.

It amazes me to watch the amount of people who buy lottery tickets knowing full well that the odds of winning are very bad. I am wondering if I went up to one them and offered the following, "You give me that $20.00 and I will give you $5.00 in return," how silly they would think of me.

Hmmmmmmm.....

Edited by drgrendel

QUOTE (Kelly D @ Apr 27 2012, 12:56 PM)
Indeed, this could have been better worded- I'm more going for the scope of signatures and the song references were more for the fans.

My main point was for people to sign the petition or send individual letters. This wasn't anything official. I wrote another letter to send to the head of VIP Nation.

Does that clear it up? Sorry I was a bit obfuscatory.

Oh, hey, it's cool... I was trying to be helpful. I hope that came across and I didn't sound insulting or anything. I agree with what you're trying to do, it's just that unless we give them good, solid business (or legal) reasons... they have no motivation to change.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 27 2012, 02:16 PM)
Indeed, this could have been better worded- I'm more going for the scope of signatures and the song references were more for the fans.

My main point was for people to sign the petition or send individual letters. This wasn't anything official. I wrote another letter to send to the head of VIP Nation.

Oh, hey, it's cool... I was trying to be helpful. I hope that came across and I didn't sound insulting or anything. I agree with what you're trying to do, it's just that unless we give them good, solid business (or legal) reasons... they have no motivation to change.

Right on. I appreciate the help. This was more of a call to keyboards, in a way, to start writing angry emails or something to get the word out that we're deeply pissed off with this policy change.

Grok? I bet you could write a better letter than I could. Ya gonna? wink.gif

QUOTE (Kelly D @ Apr 27 2012, 02:08 PM)

unsure.gif

Surely I'm only associated with serious intellectual subjects and prudish moral values... unsure.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 27 2012, 02:25 PM)

unsure.gif

Surely I'm only associated with serious intellectual subjects and prudish moral values... unsure.gif

Erm, yes, that's exactly the reason we like having you around. . . applaudit.gif

QUOTE (Kelly D @ Apr 27 2012, 02:29 PM)

unsure.gif

Erm, yes, that's exactly the reason we like having you around. . . applaudit.gif

biggrin.gif ohmy.gif wacko.gif ph34r.gif unsure.gif cool10.gif

QUOTE (Kelly D @ Apr 27 2012, 01:19 PM)

Right on. I appreciate the help. This was more of a call to keyboards, in a way, to start writing angry emails or something to get the word out that we're deeply pissed off with this policy change.

Honestly? I'm thinking of taking Snaked's email from earlier in the thread and slapping my name on it. It hit all the right notes!

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 27 2012, 03:36 PM)
QUOTE (Kelly D @ Apr 27 2012, 01:19 PM)

Honestly? I'm thinking of taking Snaked's email from earlier in the thread and slapping my name on it. It hit all the right notes!

Go for it.

Feel free to edit/add whatever you want.

unsure.gif

and drinking...never forget drinking.

(spoken by someone who honestly has no idea)

(god, i need to get not paid)

QUOTE (opsopcopolis @ Apr 27 2012, 06:33 PM)
I think the point he's making is that it really isn't a gamble at all technically speaking. You know the restraints going in, and all of the seats you could be getting are within the same price range, so you're getting the same for your money no matter where you sit.
If 15th row would really be all THAT bad, then couldn't you save that money and buy tickets you do like from a scalper?

That's exactly my point though- I DON'T wanna give brokers my money. I want to support the band as much as I can but they're making it really freaking difficult with these new stipulations. A broker, unfortunately, looks really good right now- at least a broker TELLS you where you're going to be sitting at a show, unlike VIP Nation!

This is why I'm boycotting VIP Nation- I will NOT pay $300 to potentially be seated in the 10th or 13th or 15th row. The risk is so not worth it.

I have no problem with the VIP package. It's actually not $300 for a seat in the first 15 rows. It's $300 for a seat and a whole lot of other stuff that could easily be valued at $100-$150. I think it is an imperfect situation but I applaud the effort to get fans a fair chance at these seats for a reasonable price compared to previously not making any effort and leaving the fans at the mercy of the scalpers. The 15th row would be the closest I have seen a Rush show.

Personally, I don't think $200ish is unreasonable for row 15. There's easily $100 worth of swag in the VIP package - the tourbook alone is what, $25-30?

It's the not knowing that grates, I get that. But I don't think the tickets are dramatically overpriced for a guaranteed placement in the first fifteen. You're not paying for the seat alone - you're paying for the guarantee.

That said, I'm not doing it this time around because money's a bit tight and I'd rather take my chances with the regular pre-sale tickets. I did the VIP thing once, I can skip it this time.

I don't think concerts should be so damned expensive in the first place.

I totally skipped LiveNation and VIP shit. Does going to a concert have to be so technical?!

I'm glad I waited until today to get my tickets and they are not bad. I don't HAVE to be that close to the band to enjoy the show, even though it would be nice.

My friends Bev and Jill got fifth row tickets on Ged's side and they didn't use VIP Livenation (or whatever the hell they are called).

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Apr 27 2012, 06:45 PM)
I have no problem with the VIP package.  It's actually not $300 for a seat in the first 15 rows.  It's $300 for a seat and a whole lot of other stuff that could easily be valued at $100-$150.  I think it is an imperfect situation but I applaud the effort to get fans a fair chance at these seats for a reasonable price compared to previously not making any effort and leaving the fans at the mercy of the scalpers.  The 15th row would be the closest I have seen a Rush show.

I appreciate your take on it but we don't need the extra swag in my opinion.

I want the Freewill to buy my own swag and a ticket with a seat asignment!

Front row is rarefied air and for those who seek it, and have the means for it.......it should be obtainable!

If you come to New Hamshire or Minneapolis I will gladly trade seats with you for a few songs and look forward to your thoughts on being up close.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d153/avplanners/starman.png

I've never been one to adopt a "Well, it sure beats a kick in the pants" philosophy, but apparently enough folks have for LiveNation to be able to afford a new pair of boots. I suppose that makes it a win/win. LiveNation gets new boots and their customers get their bottoms polished with a nice, clean pair.

Ps. I'm speaking metaphorically, in case anyone misses it. Please, no one be offended as it isn't meant for offense. "Beats a kick in the pants" is an adage meaning, it could be worse or it's not all that bad. But it also implies that there is no reason it couldn't be better, but one has resigned onself to accept that nothing can or should be done about it.