Will CA bring in new Rush fans?

Gedneil Alpeart

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 27 2012, 11:40 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 27 2012, 09:26 AM)
Caravan -> BU2B -> Headlong Flight is, to me, way better than Far Cry -> Armor & Sword -> Workin' Them Angels.

Wow, couldn't disagree more.

The songs I've heard off CA are decent (well, with the exception of BU2B), but the first three songs off S&A are classics.

eh.gif

Lets be honest with ourselves. S&A is masterful, but at times, the band comes off uninspired. I consider it great, but I feel like they don't live up to their amazing potential on there.

The songs we have heard so far indicate to me that RUSH is back to their roots. They are heavy, masterful, and have good song structure.

It's close but...

HF > Far Cry > BU2B > Caravan > Armour and Sword > Workin Them Angels

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DistantEarlyRushFan @ Apr 27 2012, 01:10 PM)
Lets be honest with ourselves. S&A is masterful

z7shysterical.gif

I'm one of the seemingly few who would take the first three tracks from S&A over the three CA songs released so far. I'll play the rankings game:

Workin' Them Angels > Armor and Sword > Caravan > BU2B > Far Cry > Headlong Flight

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 27 2012, 10:08 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 27 2012, 10:40 AM)
Caravan -> BU2B -> Headlong Flight is, to me, way better than Far Cry -> Armor & Sword -> Workin' Them Angels.

The songs I've heard off CA are decent (well, with the exception of BU2B), but the first three songs off S&A are classics.

eh.gif

Eh, <shrug>. Fair enough. Agree to disagree smile.gif

No, we must fight. Pistols at dawn! 1287.gif

tongue.gif

Both of my kids are hooked on 2.gif and when I played "HF" for them for the first time my 9 year old boy said, "That the best RUSH song ever"! As of for them liking what came before. It all depends on the song, My Daughter likes "La Villa", My son likes "Vital Signs". They also have their favorites which happens like most of us when they are introduced to 2.gif for the first time. That magical first release after they are hooked. For my daughter it was "Secret Touch" from VT, and My son just fell in love with "Far Cry". As you can see I'm with "Losing It" from the Signals era. Anyway, I'm sure there are many kids out there that have fallen in Love with Caravan or BU2B, but if CA will be your first release since you began to suffer from RUSHalitis. "Headlong Flight" might be your song! Regardless, I'm sure it will be on CA!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (Merely Space @ Apr 27 2012, 01:48 PM)
I have a feeling that most of Rush's new fans are indoctrinated by their parents. It's like a genetic mutation passed from generation to generation.

I agree, but once they are hooked , they spread the news. My daughter has intorduced RUSH to several friends in here hIgh School already.

"`Why are you s happy today?".. They ask!

"I'm going to see 2.gif in concert!" she replies

followed by the ever expected:

"WHO?"

For which she then replies:

"No, not the Who.... 2.gif !"

I'm so proud of her!

1022.gif 1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 27 2012, 02:18 PM)

eh.gif

tongue.gif

Can I have your swirley thing when your dead?

confused13.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Apr 27 2012, 02:24 PM)

eh.gif

tongue.gif

confused13.gif

wow, the vultures are already circling. unsure.gif

sure thing, dude! tongue.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 27 2012, 04:29 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Apr 27 2012, 02:24 PM)

eh.gif

tongue.gif

confused13.gif

wow, the vultures are already circling. unsure.gif

sure thing, dude! tongue.gif

Oh my Wife has dibbs on the little cat thingy!

yes.gif

QUOTE (Merely Space @ Apr 27 2012, 02:48 PM)
I have a feeling that most of Rush's new fans are indoctrinated by their parents. It's like a genetic mutation passed from generation to generation.

It was the opposite in my case. My parents hated Rush when I first started listening to them but my dad's starting to enjoy them and my mom's kind of indifferent now.

QUOTE (av450 @ Apr 27 2012, 06:45 PM)
Teenager checking in. The first 3 rush songs that i liked were Far cry, Nobody's hero and freewill. I think if a young kid hears Headlong flight they will like it, but they probably wont ever hear it

Good post and welcome aboard! smile.gif

QUOTE (av450 @ Apr 27 2012, 07:45 PM)
Teenager checking in.  The first 3 rush songs that i liked were Far cry, Nobody's hero and freewill. I think if a young kid hears Headlong flight they will like it, but they probably wont ever hear it

So true and so sad....there is no outlet for Headlong Flight on the radio.

I will disagree with you however if Headlong Flight manages to make it to Rock Band. There is where the teenagers will hear it and love it and buy it.

Smartest thing Rush could do is put as much of the album as they can on Rock Band. The greatest way there is to introduce new and young fans to the new album.

I sound like a broken record, but really believe it...

Edited by LeaveMyThingAlone

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Apr 27 2012, 06:51 PM)
I have a feeling that most of Rush's new fans are indoctrinated by their parents.  It's like a genetic mutation passed from generation to generation.

It was the opposite in my case. My parents hated Rush when I first started listening to them but my dad's starting to enjoy them and my mom's kind of indifferent now.

yeah i agree. my parents not only did not indoctrinate me to rush, they never heard of them. to my father there were two types of music, Irish folk (dubliners) and Irish rebel (wolftones) and that's it.

I had no idea Rush was still together until I saw a one hour version of the S&A DVD on the DirecTV proprietary channel. I owned about 3 cassettes in the 80s and liked them. I don't really follow music in general, so I was completely out of touch with anything about them.

That made me start looking a little on VH1 classic and I saw the documentary. That led directly to me buying something like 275 Rush songs and about 8 DVDs. That TV exposure is far more powerful than radio play of songs these days. Any resurgence can be directly traced to added TV exposure IMO.

as a teenager i can honestly say i was turned on to rush by "I Love You Man", after that i went online, searched them up then went to jb hi fi and bought 2112, having heard nothing but limelight and tom sawyer, i just sat there stunned after hearing the title track

i agree with those saying tv exposure does a lot more than radio, seeing as there is no rush on the radio here in melbourne

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Apr 27 2012, 06:51 PM)
I have a feeling that most of Rush's new fans are indoctrinated by their parents.  It's like a genetic mutation passed from generation to generation.

That's cool! 1022.gif

Keep working on Mom.

QUOTE (aaronrusso @ Apr 29 2012, 08:19 AM)
as a teenager i can honestly say i was turned on to rush by "I Love You Man", after that i went online, searched them up then went to jb hi fi and bought 2112, having heard nothing but limelight and tom sawyer, i just sat there stunned after hearing the title track

i agree with those saying tv exposure does a lot more than radio, seeing as there is no rush on the radio here in melbourne

That is so awesome! I love that movie and I'm glad it got helped get some new fans! I wonder if anyone got into Rush through them being mentioned in School of Rock - of course they weren't featured in that movie anywhere near to the degree they were in I Love You, Man.