Will CA bring in new Rush fans?

Gedneil Alpeart

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Apr 26 2012, 09:04 PM)
QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Apr 26 2012, 08:56 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Apr 26 2012, 07:54 PM)
I think the only teens that would buy it are ones who are already fans like myself. I know a couple of people my age who are casual fans but they don't really follow the band and buy all their releases.

But, you became a fan at one point, right? What drew you in?

I heard the hits on the radio and started listening to them online. I really loved them so I started buying all the studio albums. The few people my age that I know just aren't huge fans and I don't think they ever really will be since most people don't really buy full albums anymore, they just pick a bunch of songs from different bands and download them. Though there always are the exceptions.

Same experience for me. I started listening to Rush probably sometime in 2009, and was it because of Snakes and Arrows or Vapor Trails? no.gif It was because Moving Pictures was on our iTunes and I wanted to get into rock. confused13.gif

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ Apr 26 2012, 06:35 PM)
QUOTE (Captain Avatar @ Apr 26 2012, 08:23 PM)
At the Time Machine tour I was sitting beside a late teen/early twenty-something guy who leaned over and asked me where I had gotten my Rush shirt (starman).  I told him about the Rush backstage club and about TRF.  He then began asking me about their albums...which ones I liked the best, etc.  I quickly deduced that he barely knew anything about a band he had paid good money to see in concert.  I thought... 

wtf.gif

Come to find out, he had only heard YYZ on Rock Band and liked it so much that he "JUST HAD" to see the awesome band that created "that song" in concert.  The rest of the night I had a blast watching the look of joy on his face as he discovered, for the first time, so many Rush songs.  This was a guy who had been brought up on the lame music most people listen to these days.  I envied him, in that he had a whole new world of music to discover...and what a way to discover it!

He was a budding guitarist, and you should've seen the look of disbelief on his face when they played La Villa, as well as Alex's solo at the end of Working Man.

I thought it was awesome that, for the first time, I wasn't sitting next to another late thirties/early forties guy, but, rather, someone young who had just discovered the band.

That's real cool, I bet he was just blown away biggrin.gif

I wish I had the money to discover new favorite bands like that.

That DOES sound really cool! yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Rush will be seen as dinosours from a begone era because sad to say Rock is dead. For some reason we stopped having rock stars. We sit at home playing rock video games, and we have rock museums. Rock 'n' roll is a video game. Rock 'n' roll is a chance to look at Elvis' pants. It's everything but a f***ing lifestyle. It's fast food..... It's over kids, you missed it, the death rattle is even done.

Rush is one of the last great rock bands. Once they're gone, there won't be anymore. There will still be rock bands just as jazz and blues still exist. But it won't be as it was.

QUOTE (furie @ Apr 26 2012, 09:16 PM)
Rush will be seen as dinosours from a begone era because sad to say Rock is dead. For some reason we stopped having rock stars. We sit at home playing rock video games, and we have rock museums. Rock 'n' roll is a video game. Rock 'n' roll is a chance to look at Elvis' pants. It's everything but a f***ing lifestyle. It's fast food..... It's over kids, you missed it, the death rattle is even done.

Rush is one of the last great rock bands. Once they're gone, there won't be anymore. There will still be rock bands just as jazz and blues still exist. But it won't be as it was.

Man, that's depressing.

I need some macallan.gif

Still got Yes, Sabbath, AC/DC, Ozzy. the list could go on. There's plenty still out there.

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Apr 26 2012, 10:28 PM)

Still got Yes, Sabbath, AC/DC, Ozzy. the list could go on. There's plenty still out there.

All the acts you listed probably will be gone in 10 years as well. confused13.gif

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Apr 26 2012, 09:28 PM)

those bands are older than Rush and probably will be gone before Rush, hence my point. I didn't say they're the only band left, I said they'll be one of the last.

QUOTE (furie @ Apr 26 2012, 09:44 PM)
QUOTE (D3strukt @ Apr 26 2012, 09:28 PM)

those bands are older than Rush and probably will be gone before Rush, hence my point. I didn't say they're the only band left, I said they'll be one of the last.

Yes, looking back you did say that. My mistake.

I doubt Ozzy will quit, the man has said he'll go until he drops dead.

AC/DC will probably go after Rush as well.

Sabbath, eh. I'm so tired of the current situation with them, it disgusts me. They died with Dio in 2010 (R.I.P).

I jumped on at the young age of 15. New music isn't what drew me in. It was the oldies on the radio. I am now 22 years old. It doesn't matter if its new music. It's still from Rush. And it still sounds nothing like the hard rock and metal of today. My boyfriend is 23. He can't stand any sort of old rock and he doesn't like Rush's new stuff.

The point is, they're not going to draw in many new fans who aren't already in to the rock of the 70s and 80s. They're not going to draw in the kids who are listening to what they are nowadays. Not saying that's bad. I listen to plenty of new rock. I'm saying it doesn't sound anything like Rush.

My situation was slightly different when I saw Rush for the first time on the TM tour, because I'm middle-aged and grew up with them, even had a high school friend into them, but then lost track of them for 19 years. When they came back to town in 2010, I thought of them as a band from my childhood I'd missed seeing. Still, similar to a young fan just coming on board, some of the songs that blew me away the most when I heard them live were the newer ones like Caravan and Far Cry, or ones I'd never known like Marathon.

So, will there be (young) people who come on board for the first time with CA? Sure. If people came on board during TM, there will probably be some who missed that tour, but manage to go to CA and get hooked. I think as long as Rush is around, there will be people attending for the first time, and that usually starts one down this road we're on! Those people won't be thinking about Rush's ages while they're performing, either - the guys have a youthful exuberance that makes you forget how many years they've been a band!

Edited by 1 of the 7

QUOTE (furie @ Apr 27 2012, 11:16 AM)

Not specifically in regards to Rush but I first heard these dark sentiments 30 years ago. And I'm sure someone shared such thoughts before that. In fact, Phillip Seymour "Lester Bangs" Hoffman said very similar things in Almost Famous.

http://www.ou.edu/student/fvsclub/almostfamous.jpghttp://www.jimdero.com/Art/bangsstroked.jpg

Frankly, who gives a f**k what title or music category a band is placed in? If you dig it then it doesn't matter.

Once in a while, I'll get to know some youngsters in their 20s, and since I use a lot of music during my lessons (not Rush, they're not suitable), I get a decent impression of what's going on. And the rule is, there's no rule.

Last year I had a lot of guys and girls into OK Computer-era Radiohead, and they appreciated my showing of Frankie Goes to Hollywood's Warriors of the Wasteland. They got it, even if they'd never seen anything like it.

This year, Frankie got nothing but hate, but at the same time everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) was hooked through all the 9 minutes of The Who's A Quick One live at the Rolling Stones Circus (I bet a lot had to do with Keith's facial expressions...), though they'd never seen anything like it.

I can see potential for a youngster to get into HF, or Caravan, or Far Cry (I even said that at the time we had this same discussion when S&A came out). They sound contemporary. They have 0% of retro feeling. That said, I don't see anyone but a very small percentage going back to Caress of Steel or Farewell to Kings. They are from a bygone era. And sure, there will always be kids getting into Yes or Procol Harum, I believe our own Tommy Sawyer is a good example of this bekloppt.gif , but it's still a very small percentage.

The thing with youngsters, as far as I get it, is that they are not complehetists. They like a song, ok. They don't necessarily go and check the whole album, like we did. Let alone the whole discography. They come across another song, they like it, ok. That's from the same band, really? Cool. Didn't know.

That's as far as they go. A different kind of mental structure. But curiosity is still there, and that's heart-warming. trink38.gif

i'm an older geezer now who followed seriously the great rock music of the 70's/80's and 90's, truly great sh*t going around in those days its mindblowing when compared to today really.. cant say i'm fully tuned into whats going on today but from what ive heard and seen there's nothing, absolutely nothing, that can compare with rush now

its depressing really as there really shouldnt be a reason for it, the same human beings are in the business doing the same creative stuff, all you can put a finger on is the lack of willingness to take a chance these days... in the 70's and 80's everyone was just chucking everything into the mix to see what happened, if it didnt pay off then back to the board have another go....

rush were the epitomy of that attitude, caress of steel was a flop in many respects but the band believed in it and believed it had to be done, likewise with 2112 and the money men in the business just kept one eye on em until the major success arrived and then completely left the band to get on with it

i look around today and i honestly cant see one single rock act to compare with rush, or even the countless other great rock acts of their heyday... only radiohead hit the spot for me and even they dinos now

Edited by lifeson90

I believe they continue to attract younger fans. My own kids first saw Rush when they were 3 & 6 and have gone to every tour since then. My daughter knows many a kid in her high school who is a Rush fan and my son has has found some kids in middle school wearing Rush shirts.

As the "older" generation pass the torch to their kids the word will continue to spread about what a great band Rush is!

My kids already know that no matter how many concerts they see in their life time none will compare with a Rush show!

QUOTE (DistantEarlyRushFan @ Apr 27 2012, 08:51 AM)
From what we have heard do far, it looks like RUSH is about to drop an album on us with quality we haven't seen in almost 20 years.

Wow, I sure wish I felt this way. Honestly, I'm at a loss to understand how these songs indicate an album even better than S&A, though obviously they're better than VT and T4E.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 27 2012, 10:19 AM)
From what we have heard do far, it looks like RUSH is about to drop an album on us with quality we haven't seen in almost 20 years.

Wow, I sure wish I felt this way. Honestly, I'm at a loss to understand how these songs indicate an album even better than S&A, though obviously they're better than VT and T4E.

I can't make an overall assessment of course, because we have yet to hear the whole album. But I'm liking the first three songs I heard from CA more than the first three songs I heard from SNA so far.

Caravan -> BU2B -> Headlong Flight is, to me, way better than Far Cry -> Armor & Sword -> Workin' Them Angels.

I love Far Cry. A&S and WTA are both in the bottom half of my "Unofficial Favorite Rush Songs Forever and Ever" list. All three of the new ones are probably in the top 30 (as is Far Cry).

Having said that, the three best songs on SNA are right up there with the three from CA so far. I can't say in what order I'd put them because I haven't thought that through. But as far as the ones I heard first, the first 3 from CA have me more hopeful for the rest of the album than the first three from SNA did in 2007.

Edited by danielmclark

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 27 2012, 11:19 AM)

it's not hard to come up with something better than s & a. headlong flight alone is better than s & a as a whole.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 27 2012, 09:26 AM)
Caravan -> BU2B -> Headlong Flight is, to me, way better than Far Cry -> Armor & Sword -> Workin' Them Angels.

Wow, couldn't disagree more.

The songs I've heard off CA are decent (well, with the exception of BU2B), but the first three songs off S&A are classics.

eh.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 27 2012, 10:40 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 27 2012, 09:26 AM)

Wow, couldn't disagree more.

The songs I've heard off CA are decent (well, with the exception of BU2B), but the first three songs off S&A are classics.

eh.gif

Eh, <shrug>. Fair enough. Agree to disagree smile.gif