Would you listen to / purchase Headlong Flight if

rushgoober

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (wilb1972 @ Apr 26 2012, 02:17 PM)
I guess what I was trying to say is that I only have the frame of reference of how I felt when I first heard them, and I wonder if I would still feel that way now, since I do like "weird groups" ie prog groups, etc. that most folks in the mainstream ignore? I don't know.

As an example, recently I've been introduced to more recent Yes and Jethro Tull albums, both groups I truly love

Oh god Goobs, does this mean we are actually more alike than I thought?! Scary!! tongue.gif

laugh.gif

watch out, we might become friends if you're not careful! tongue.gif trink39.gif

I CERTAINLY would have gotten into the band on the strength of Caravan or Far Cry. HF and BU2B are likely if they hit me at the right time. That is, I'd probably stop and listen on the radio if I was actively listening, and I'm certain I'd have purchased them afterward. If it was a background thing where I wasn't paying attention, they might not have grabbed my attention.

I've been thinking recently that if all I had was S&A and the three new songs, I'm certain I'd still be a huge fan. I really love the new material- it feels fresh to me.

Like others here have said, I probably wouldn't have even have heard it because I don't listen to the radio at all these days.

I spend most of my time listening to Rush, which means that I'd have to actually imagine my life as being totally different than it actually is, since Rush has dominated my musical life since the mid-eighties. wink.gif

But, in the interest of your "what if" scenario, if I heard HF somehow, I would probably LOVE it, simply because it beats the hell out of just about everything else I ever hear played today. I'd probably "rush" to the store as soon as the cd was released, fumble with the wrapping with anticipatory glee, shove it in my cd player, kiss the case, and thank God that I finally had some good music to listed to.

2.gif

QUOTE (Captain Avatar @ Apr 26 2012, 08:36 PM)
But, in the interest of your "what if" scenario, if I heard HF somehow, I would probably LOVE it, simply because it beats the hell out of just about everything else I ever hear played today.

This. I've listened to modern bands that Rush fans like and haven't cared for any of them. I certainly haven't liked much chart music since the mid-80's. I'm even getting sick of 80's music because we listen to it at work. I'm finding there's very little music that intrigues me anymore, probably because I've gotten so wrapped up in Rush that no one else compares. I realize that I have to be careful not to burn myself out on Rush too!

If I heard Headlong Flight, I would definitely say, "wow, what's that?" It would be a little heavy for my taste, as Caravan and BU2B were, but I would love Geddy's voice, the intricacy of what they're doing, the melody in spite of the heaviness, and THE LYRICS! I would want more yes.gif

I'm not sure I appreciate the implication that if you really like the song it means you're somehow blinded by loyalty or sentiment. I don't listen to a lot of newer bands but occasionally I do check things out through youtube or hear things on one particular music television channel I receive and will write down the ones I like and are interested in. So if I came across 'Headlong Flight' the intro would certainly get my attention. The drumming would be impressive and the lyrics would stand out as being not as dumb as a lot of other current rock music I've heard. The rock & roll attitude and sheer energy of it stands out so it would easily make it on my list.

I don't what you really expect, Goober. I'm the biggest Rush 'FB' as you'll find and even I don't think they'll equal or surpass MP or Permanent Waves at this point. You've downplayed HF as straight ahead rock yet you love the first album (as do I). In the 80s and 90s I know the feeling of great bands putting out mediocre music that pales in comparison to past classics and the CA material definitely shouldn't be placed in that category. I think it's great, classic stuff that can easily stand proudly in the Rush canon.

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Apr 26 2012, 09:58 PM)
I'm not sure I appreciate the implication that if you really like the song it means you're somehow blinded by loyalty or sentiment.

If you're referring to me as the OP, I never meant to imply anything of the sort. I was just asking a question, not trying to put down anyone's position or opinion.

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Apr 26 2012, 09:58 PM)
I don't what you really expect, Goober. I'm the biggest Rush 'FB' as you'll find and even I don't think they'll equal or surpass MP or Permanent Waves at this point. You've downplayed HF as straight ahead rock yet you love the first album (as do I). In the 80s and 90s I know the feeling of great bands putting out mediocre music that pales in comparison to past classics and the CA material definitely shouldn't be placed in that category. I think it's great, classic stuff that can easily stand proudly in the Rush canon.

I don't think it pales in comparison that dramatically, just somewhat. HF is light years better than VT, and better than any song on T4E, but it doesn't hold a candle to the best material of S&A, which I believe DID stack up quite well with their classic material. It's all relative, and of course it's all IMHO.

I hear what you're saying with the first album being straight ahead rock (which I praise) and HF being straight ahead rock (which I criticize, but only to a degree - I still think it's a very good song). All I can say is straight ahead rock has a tremendous amount of variation. The songs on the first album were fun, loose, and had a lot of breathing room - the guitar solos were outstanding. The new stuff feels a lot more constricted by comparison, and while the musicianship is top notch, obviously their sound today is vastly different than it was 38 years ago. It's not a given that loving one means you'll love the other just because they're both "straight ahead rock."

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Apr 26 2012, 10:49 AM)
Does this have something to do with Astra? unsure.gif

Actually, you lost me at the "pretend Rush doesn't exist part". Rush exists in all dimensions yes.gif

This is a well-known fact. Every level of the Tower has a Rush and they are all awesome! 2.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 26 2012, 12:34 PM)
pretend Rush didn't exist and you happened to be listening to the radio or someone whose musical taste you were compatible with gave you an MP3 of Headlong Flight.  Is it something that you honestly think you would pursue based solely on the quality of the song, without having the history, curiosity and loyalty to Rush you now have?

Hells yeah.

A bunch of people in this thread have dismissed the premise, but I really like this song. If I heard it on the FM (which I don't listen to anymore), Pandora, etc, I'd immediately find out who it was and buy the album.

I first heard "Leave That Thing Alone" on the radio in 1993 before CP was released. I was in my car and when the song came on I turned it up and listened closely, thinking "Wow, what a great groove". After ~20 seconds, I suspected in might be from the forthcoming Rush album, and that was confirmed by the DJ afterwards (apparently he was a fan... I've never heard it on the radio since).

The point is, I would've bought the album whether or not it was Rush.

Someone else already mentioned Dream Theater, but I had a similar experience: I heard Pull Me Under on FM back in 1992 while traveling across country (with my wife, before we were married). I vividly remember saying "woah" and turning the volume up as the song kicked in... it sounded like a cross between Queensryche, Rush, and Iron Maiden.

After he sang "Watch the sparrow falling gives new meaning to...", I pulled the car over to the road's shoulder, set the parking brake, cranked it up, and closed my eyes so I could listen closely.

When the song ended, the DJ announced the name of the band, which I'd never heard of. At the next town, I found the nearest record store and bought the album.

I don't want people to think I am not open to new music, I am -- in fact I have a broad interest in most types of music. It's hard to define what I like and don't like ... I mean, based solely on HF, I don't know if it would grab me in the way it does knowing its Rush, but I am sure I would find it interesting.

I don't listen to the radio much so being introduced to new music usually happens by accident, as someone else noted in this thread. Or as with Rush, someone introduces me to them. There are plenty of newer bands that I have snagged songs by and downloaded. And then I sort of keep an eye on them, see how they develop before I commit to a whole album or whatever. I would probably do that with HF.

One modern band I find interesting is 30 Seconds to Mars. I also like Wolfmother and Foster the People. And I discovered all of them by accident.

watch out, we might become friends if you're not careful!

Nah, I actually think VT is a great album! tongue.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (wilb1972 @ Apr 27 2012, 08:02 AM)
Nah, I actually think VT is a great album! tongue.gif trink39.gif

Vapour Trails IS a great album. Or, at least, it's an album full of great songs.

If it had been recorded/produced like Headlong Flight, everyone would be ga-ga for it.

Probably would, always seek "different" and you could put HF next to most of the bland all the same sounding trend garbage being played on rock radio today , and Flight stands above it all.... But I would have no idea what the hell the lyrics are about without any background on the story... tongue.gif yes.gif

Excellent question Goobs as we've come to expect. The last albums that grabbed me as you described were Counterparts and a couple of songs from VT.

It's not just about what the band is producing, it's about where we are as listeners. We can't expect the band to be everything to everyone forever. They've always been a cult (musicians ) band that has just recently found large scale acceptance. Well OK MP brought large scale accaptence, but now the kids are into them, etc. What I'm trying to say is that RUSH is perhaps the most unique band, the most enduring band, the most constantly self renewing band in rock. They have cut a spot for themselves that no other band will ever approach. Love them or hate them, there is no way to ignore them.

This thread is meaningless, Everyone hear knows who RUSH is, their history, sounds, writing style and musicinaship. There is no way anyone can acurately speculate if they heard this for the first time. Everyones judgement is already bias and contains some form of prejudice and knowing the aforementioned already makes you inclined to vote in their favour.

I can tell you this, my 9 year old kid said "It's th best song RUSH has ever made!" I guess that means something! He was only turned on to Rush after he heard "Far Cry" and he likes this better. So that's a good indication of at least the commercial value of the song. It ROCKS!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Bands that have earned my ears get more of my attention. I don't think HF would grab me if it was another band, but that's not a bad thing. The fact that Rush made it makes it more enjoyable for me. I think everyone has artists that have this effect on them, and its ok. We're human, we can't be 100% objective all the time.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Apr 26 2012, 07:50 PM)
Definitely. I'm always listening to new bands and Headlong Flight is something I'd listen to if Rush didn't exist.

Agreed, It's the type of music I always liked anyway, but because it's Rush it makes it so much better. 2.gif