Would you listen to / purchase Headlong Flight if

rushgoober

QUOTE (druid13 @ Apr 26 2012, 08:11 PM)
tough question...I think had I never known Rush and I heard this on the radio...yeah...I'd be drawn to it....enough weirdness and interesting stuff going on...

its happened before with other bands for me when I hear stuff on one of our college stations...or the local jazz station...sometime I hear stuff and say WHOA what was that?

Funny thing is if this has been played here (not sure if it has) it would be on WDVE which is Butt Rock..er...I mean "Classic Rock"...even funnier...it would not fit in well with anything else they play on that station.

I mean you can't have Headlong Flight bookended by Bob Seger "just take those old records off the shelf" on the one side and Boston's "More than a Feelin" on the other....

I'm really looking forward to The Ring 3, what about you AW?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 26 2012, 12:23 PM)
It must be tough being one of the few on that little island that doesn't like the new stuff. I feel for you. That's the way I felt about SnA. I wouldn't say I disliked it I was just let down a bit.

There are definitely songs on S&A I would have gone after even if Rush were a new group to me. I think it's safe to say that Far Cry, and especially Armor & Sword (as well as other songs) would have grabbed me, even if they were a brand new group to me. yes.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 26 2012, 02:17 PM)
No because i would never have heard it. I don't listen to the radio so unless someone played it for me no.gif

^THIS

I'm the same...I've only been listening to the radio lately to see if HF was being played! laugh.gif

I don't listen to radio...so if it's not from a band that I regularly listen to, I need to catch it "by mistake".

QUOTE (Tony R @ Apr 26 2012, 02:29 PM)
tough question...I think had I never known Rush and I heard this on the radio...yeah...I'd be drawn to it....enough weirdness and interesting stuff going on...

its happened before with other bands for me when I hear stuff on one of our college stations...or the local jazz station...sometime I hear stuff and say WHOA what was that?

Funny thing is if this has been played here (not sure if it has) it would be on WDVE which is Butt Rock..er...I mean "Classic Rock"...even funnier...it would not fit in well with anything else they play on that station.

I mean you can't have Headlong Flight bookended by Bob Seger "just take those old records off the shelf" on the one side and Boston's "More than a Feelin" on the other....

Tony R ....you might want to check and change your password, I believe a 12 year old is busy posting under your name and its starting to make you look a little foolish.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 26 2012, 08:29 PM)
It must be tough being one of the few on that little island that doesn't like the new stuff. I feel for you. That's the way I felt about SnA. I wouldn't say I disliked it I was just let down a bit.

There are definitely songs on S&A I would have gone after even if Rush were a new group to me. I think it's safe to say that Far Cry, and especially Armor & Sword (as well as other songs) would have grabbed me, even if they were a brand new group to me. yes.gif

I think the only track on SnA I could listen to repeatedly is Far Cry. There are some moderately decent tracks like TWTWB and Working Them Angels but highly-rated stuff like Armor And Sword and TMMB sound like dirges to me. Repetition is th plague of new Rush.

QUOTE (druid13 @ Apr 26 2012, 08:33 PM)

Tony R ....you might want to check and change your password, I believe a 12 year old is busy posting under your name and its starting to make you look a little foolish.

I'm pretty certain you are already redefining that word.

Now get out of my face.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Apr 26 2012, 02:34 PM)
QUOTE (druid13 @ Apr 26 2012, 08:33 PM)

I'm pretty certain you are already redefining that word.

Now get out of my face.

and I am "pretty certain" you started all of this....

actually make that "certain".

No need to get all "internet tough guy" either.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Apr 26 2012, 01:33 PM)

I think the only track on SnA I could listen to repeatedly is Far Cry. There are some moderately decent tracks like TWTWB and Working Them Angels but highly-rated stuff like Armor And Sword and TMMB sound like dirges to me. Repetition is th plague of new Rush.

Dirge is a very good word for Armor & Sword. I never understood the love for that song.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 26 2012, 12:32 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 26 2012, 02:17 PM)
No because i would never have heard it. I don't listen to the radio so unless someone played it for me  no.gif

^THIS

I'm the same...I've only been listening to the radio lately to see if HF was being played! laugh.gif

I don't listen to radio...so if it's not from a band that I regularly listen to, I need to catch it "by mistake".

eyesre4.gif

Don't people know how to pretend?

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 26 2012, 12:37 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Apr 26 2012, 01:33 PM)

Dirge is a very good word for Armor & Sword. I never understood the love for that song.

I actually listened to A&S this morning. I actually think it's kind of epic.

Edited by Rushman14

If somehow I have to do this in some alternate universe where it's possible wink.gif then I'd have to say yes...and simply because I like the song.

A good song is a good song. I like it as it is and if that were someone else or I'd never known of a "Rush", then the song remains good.

By the same rationale I'll never like Face Up no matter who that is because nothing saves it from being a snooze-fest.

Edited by Presto-digitation

This is a very easy question for me. If I'd heard Headlong Flight and it was from some new band that I didn't know, yes, I would really enjoy the song, and would want to get it immediately and put it on my iPod. I would be very excited to check out what else that band has put out because it would seem to me that I've found a band that I could love.

You see, I'm so happy with the direction of CA so far because these songs are exactly the kind of music I love anyway. For Rush to be doing it in their special Rush way is the best I could ever hope for. If someone had said to me before they started on CA that I could choose the direction for Rush to take with their next album, and I could pick from anything in the world for them to do, the results would pretty much have been exactly what we've gotten with the three songs so far.

Yes. I'm someone who is constantly exploring 'new' music, both old and new. I still occasionally listen to the radio and I'm around a variety of people my age since I'm in college. If there was a rising rock band that made Headlong Flight instead of Rush, I'd probably hear it from one of my suitemates or around somewhere else.

And if I did hear the song, I would still enjoy it and I would buy it. When it comes to music, I'm all over the map ranging from new and old, long and short, hard and soft, pop and experimental, etc. (You get the picture.)

I find this to be an unbelievably goofy question. It's like looking for an excuse to say something negative.

Why don't you just say that you don't think people would like this song if they didn't know it was by Rush, since that's obviously what you're getting at?

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Apr 26 2012, 01:28 PM)
I find this to be an unbelievably goofy question. It's like looking for an excuse to say something negative.

Why don't you just say that you don't think people would like this song if they didn't know it was by Rush, since that's obviously what you're getting at?

No, I'm saying that I wouldn't pursue this song if was a new band that I heard for the first time. I'm not implying anyone else should share that opinion, and I want to know other people's thoughts on the matter. It's a discussion forum. I'm discussing. wink.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 26 2012, 02:10 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 26 2012, 11:17 AM)
No because i would never have heard it. I don't listen to the radio so unless someone played it for me  no.gif

and what if someone did play it for you?

No , I would not buy it until I heard the whole album

I would like it if it were by someone else. Its a good song. Whether I would have ever heard it if it were not Rush? Probably not. I am not as avid about new music as I once was and someone would have had to introduce me to it. As I mostly avoid other humans, it is not often that I am introduced to new music.

I guess what I was trying to say is that I only have the frame of reference of how I felt when I first heard them, and I wonder if I would still feel that way now, since I do like "weird groups" ie prog groups, etc. that most folks in the mainstream ignore? I don't know.

As an example, recently I've been introduced to more recent Yes and Jethro Tull albums, both groups I truly love

Oh god Goobs, does this mean we are actually more alike than I thought?! Scary!! tongue.gif