Freewill

Mika

Will 'Freewill' get played this tour?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Will 'Freewill' get played this tour?

• Yes!
    • No!

So, one of the first things I noticed when I joined this forum waaaay back in July of last year, was the (slightly surprising) abundance of comments on Geddy's vocals during the TM tour, particularly with the song 'Freewill'. It's become a bit of a, "will he hit the high part?" thing and some people pull out their cell phones at the appropriate time in the song to film whether he does, indeed, hit the high part or not.

So, do you think Rush is going to retire 'Freewill', at least for this tour?

Personally, I'd love to see this song replaced with something different - maybe 'Cut to the Chase' or something from Signals to commemorate its anniversary. I love Geddy having the vocal chords (and the balls) to tackle this song, but I'd prefer something fresh this time around!

Edited by Mika

I think the odds are pretty good they'll play it. I know it's been dropped on a few tours but at this point the song has become so well known I would pretty much consider it a must play for them. Edited by J2112YYZ

Yea I agree, its one of those Rush "classics" that even the casual fan knows, and at this point in their career its hard to see them not doing it, in spite of the high parts.

Although I seem to feel its a good thing for Ged live, helps loosen up his vocal chords early in the show (its usually mid-way through the first set when they seem to whip it out), so yea, my money is on them doing it.

Yes

QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Apr 26 2012, 09:56 AM)
I'm not a fan of the song.

cool10.gif

Free Will has a weird live history in that it has a pattern.

It was played for three tours from the PW tour to the Signals tour. They rested the song from GUP to HYF. So, three tours.

This is where it gets interesting. It was played on the Presto tour and the Roll the Bones tour. It took one tour off for the Counterparts tour. It was brought back for the T4E tour and the Vapor Trails tour. It was then given a rest for the R30 tour. It was played on the last 2 tours. If they continue the pattern, Free Will won't be played.

Who knows. Jut throwing that out there

Edited by Joesaracer

A live staple now. And rightfully so. The solo section alone is still amazing to this day.

And Geddy nailed it both legs I saw him on the TM tour.

I love it, but wouldn't mind if it gets switched out for something else.

I have a sneaking suspicion it will...

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 26 2012, 10:33 AM)
QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Apr 26 2012, 10:56 AM)
I'm not a fan of the song.

ohmy.gif

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

Freewill is one of the songs that cemented my love for Rush.

I'm gonna say no. It's a great song, but there are other songs I'd rather hear live. I wouldn't consider it a staple in the same way Tom Sawyer and TSOR are. I think the band will drop it this tour like they did on the R30 tour (unless they decide play PeW in it's entirety of course).

Definite yes. It's a staple. It's a pretty safe bet that it will stay along with Tom Sawyer, Limelight, The Spirit of Radio, Subdivisions, and the other classics. They're classics for a reason. All of the songs are really tight, and even the casual fans know them.

Freewill is nearly a concert staple. Everyone loves hearing Alex's crushing solo. Can't really go wrong.

If the boys aren't tired of playing it, there's no reason to stop. Hell, hasn't Tom Sawyer been played on every show since it's release?

QUOTE (That One Guy @ Apr 26 2012, 06:12 PM)
Freewill is nearly a concert staple. Everyone loves hearing Alex's crushing solo. Can't really go wrong.

If the boys aren't tired of playing it, there's no reason to stop. Hell, hasn't Tom Sawyer been played on every show since it's release?

Tom Sawyer being played at every show since 1980. Whoa, let's think about this for a sec. That's what, 13 tours since then. With what, an average of say 60 shows a tour? That's about 780 times Tom Sawyer has been played. Holy crapballs, that's a lot. Good thing they haven't gotten sick of it yet! wink.gif