Roadrunner's expectations.

snowdog2112

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 26 2012, 09:28 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 26 2012, 08:17 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 26 2012, 08:25 AM)
QUOTE (druid13 @ Apr 26 2012, 06:50 AM)
I think its been shown quite well no one sells 7 million albums anymore....

Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston could rise from the dead and record a duet and it would not sell 7 million copies becuase too many would be downloading it illegally.

So you can't expect Rush to sell those types of numbers.

it won't stop me from buying Clockwork Angels.

Piracy has nothing to do with it. People stopped buying Michael Jackson albums a long, long time ago. You've been sucked in by RIAA propaganda. They aren't losing millions of sales due to piracy, that's a lie.

Sure they are. I know people who before the internet bought vinyl, cassette, and CD like everyone else (some friends also dub the occasional album)....and now many of those friends haven't purchased a SINGLE bit of music in 10 years. Buyers before, illegal downloaders now. And I'm talking many people I know. In fact, I'm one of the few sad bastards who still rushes to the CD store on the day of release or orders a product from Amazon.com.

My son owns about 10 CDs (which he wouldn't if I hadn't bought them for him) and has about 15,000 tunes on his iTunes. I'll give you one guess how he obtained them and it wasn't on an iTunes card.

So you're saying your son would have bought all 15,000 of those songs if not for the readily available avenue of illegal downloads?

No, of course not. But likely he'd have purchased quite a bit, as I had as a young boy. When you don't have much of a choice AND you love music, you make the $$$ effort. I put a lot of my allowance/chore/gift monies into albums and tapes. I didn't have 15,000 songs available to me for free, but I probably had 50 or 60 albums, all of which I paid for. Those are 50 or 60 purchases my son never made, nor will he ever feel inclined to make. Not sure how getting shit for free that you used to pay for doesn't equate to lost revenue.

Suddenly your boss stops paying you. You used to work for a paycheck and now no one gets paid to do work and you're one of them. I guess you haven't experienced lost revenue as a result?

QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 26 2012, 12:42 PM)
A big reason albums don't sell is because people Steal them .
Another big thing is, a Lot people don't want new music from their fav bands anymore so they don't buy it. I have 4 best friends i grew up with , have known them each for over 30 years . Huge Van Halen fans , only 1 of them got the new album . That is just the way it is now. If a band sells 20,000 copies in it's first week of release , that is a huge thing for them. Back in the day , you were dropped if you sold that little. Rush did some good biz last year but how much of it was all the old music, i bet most of it . CA will sell the first week or 2 and then ? Nothing . Bet your ass on it . The Time Machine dvd was number 54 on the charts ? Who thinks that is good ? Not me . I think the S&A dvd did much better , top 10 confused13.gif If you think they are going to sell a million or even 500,000 copies of CA , you need a muscle relaxer and a nap . People would rather go to Youtube to watch a video than get their fat ass down to Best Buy and pay money for it .

Absolutely...this is the sad truth of it all.

I know this might sound silly and TOO SIMPLE, but doesn't someone somewhere keep track of how many albums/cassettes/CD's a band produces, even if they have a harder time tracking how many are actually sold? I mean, don't the companies that manufacture the actual products keep numbers on this stuff? I can't imagine that they produce 2 million copies just to stock stores - they probably make 100,000 or whatever based on estimations of initial demand, and then reprint more copies when more are needed. Can't rough estimates of sales be made over time just based on production? Is the whole system really SO disorganized that no one can accurately determine ANYTHING?

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 26 2012, 12:44 PM)
I know this might sound silly and TOO SIMPLE, but doesn't someone somewhere keep track of how many albums/cassettes/CD's a band produces, even if they have a harder time tracking how many are actually sold? I mean, don't the companies that manufacture the actual products keep numbers on this stuff? I can't imagine that they produce 2 million copies just to stock stores - they probably make 100,000 or whatever based on estimations of initial demand, and then reprint more copies when more are needed. Can't rough estimates of sales be made over time just based on production? Is the whole system really SO disorganized that no one can accurately determine ANYTHING?

well you have to factor in the "returns"...just because they make them and ship them, doesn't mean they sell them. often a label will over ship, especially with a new signing, like Road Runner might do for their new signing...but these just get returned, so Soundscan isn't perfect but it is based on actual sales...though "indy" stores have a different formula, a mom and pop might sell one cd but it'll get counted as a few...stores like Walmart/Best Buy, that is a straight one for one sale, but the indy stores will be "weighted" differently. not sure i quite understand this, but if you want to help Rush sales figures, support your local independent music store, not the big boxes...your purchase will count for more...

Yep, sometimes albums are actually certified "gold" just based on albums shipped even if half of them never sell. The whole thing is convoluted. Soundscan is better than nothing but even they only started in 1991 so in terms of total album sales for these older bands it doesn't really help much.

QUOTE (chicagorush @ Apr 26 2012, 12:19 PM)
This is a very intresting thread beathorse.gif

let's all agree that the music business has changed...

now let's all get to the real issue....why Rush isn't in the rock & roll hall of fame.. bolt.gif

Yeah, you better run! laugh.gif

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Apr 26 2012, 01:18 PM)
Yep, sometimes albums are actually certified "gold" just based on albums shipped even if half of them never sell. The whole thing is convoluted.

yes.gif It happened in 1978 with the 4 Kiss solo albums. The band was so sure they would sell, they shipped them Platinum laugh.gif and more than Half were sent back

QUOTE (Jomboni @ Apr 26 2012, 12:18 PM)
Lots of independently owned music stores also do not report sales figures to Soundscan.

Which is why it would make sense to count albums/CD printed and sent, and subtract from that items returned. If items aren't returned after a certain period of time, then it would be considered that the record store bought it. wink.gif Is there some kind of statute of limitations after which music can no longer be returned?

QUOTE (Jomboni @ Apr 26 2012, 02:18 PM)
Lots of independently owned music stores also do not report sales figures to Soundscan.

thats why all indy sales are "weighted"...to cover the stores that dont report...no idea if the Soundscan formula for this works really, but its how it is...

Aye, sounds like the US one is going down the drain too - lots of smaller bands'll be pretty screwed as Warner Bro's have been downsizing recently and will probably only stick with the money making ones (so Rush'll be fine)

The reality is that even a large, impersonal retail chain like WalMart, still finds value in stocking Rush

At every local Wal Mart Ive ever been in, you are on any given day only going to find MP, 2112, Retrospectives, that Icon collection they have out now, or one of the other compilations, and sometimes Signals if you are lucky. And if they have a new album, then you will see that for about 3 hours.

I remember when Ged's solo album came out they promoted the hell out of it in-store, which was strange.