For what its worth

Nuts&Bolts

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Apr 24 2012, 10:55 PM)
Dream theatre eats a fat dick. If they toured with Rush I would skip out on any of the shows. I'd do anything to see Rush, but not if the integrity of the show becomes compromised by a wailing fatsack and a chuggachuggachugga weedlyweedlyweedly heavy metal guitarist.

Aw, don't hold back, Tarkus. Tell us how you really feel! laugh.gif

Not paying what I expect to be pretty steep prices for Rush tickets only to find out they're splitting stage time with a band I don't give a flip about. I don't hate or love DT, but I want my Evening With Rush.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Apr 24 2012, 09:29 PM)
Rush and Dream Theater are two of my favorite bands but I would hate this. Rush would essentially only play their greatest hits and a few new songs.

If this did happen Mike Portnoy would be pretty pissed. laugh.gif

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

It'll be worse than what Portnoy said years ago regarding Neil's comment on Dream Theater being a "bar band" when they contributed to a Rush tribute album. This time, he'll bitch about how the band is living his lifelong dream of opening for Rush without him and how he can play Rush songs better than Mangini.

I've only gotten into Dream Theater recently, and while I think they're an awesome band, (though their cover of Bangkok was shit from a vocals standpoint) I'd rather see both bands separately. I wouldn't want to see them co-headlining either. Too bad I'm gonna have to miss out on DT this year since that Rush ticket made me broke.

you know, i've never understood the rush/dream theater comparison. i've listened to DT and i'm sorry but i don't see it. just because they both fall into the progressive rock category doesn't mean they sound alike or go well together.

As much as I love BOTH bands just the same...NO. Rush and DT both have way too much music, to just play 90 minutes each. Also, I think we are so used to Rush doing the 3-hour "Evening With" shows at this point, that it would be too much of a "downgrade" for them to go back to doing 90-minute sets.

But with THAT said...if they did like a 2-night, one-time thing, I'd be down with that...just not a FULL-LENGTH tour. I'd imagine Rush would mostly play their hits, with a small handful of "gems", and a couple of new tunes. I could imagine the setlists looking like this:

Dream Theater

Metropolis Pt.1

Caught In A Web

A Fortune In Lies

The Dance Of Eternity

Surrounded

War Inside My Head

Test That Stumped Them All

On The Backs Of Angels

Pull Me Under

-Encore-

Learning To Live

-20 min. intermission-

RUSH

The Spirit Of Radio

Limelight

Marathon

Time Stand Still

Caravan

YYZ

Freewill

Subdivisions

Red Sector A

Show Don't Tell

Between The Wheels

Leave That Thing Alone!

Drum Solo

Alex Solo / Closer To The Heart

Headlong Flight

The Trees

Xanadu

2112 Overture / Temples

Tom Sawyer

-Encore-

La Villa Strangiato

Working Man

QUOTE (ALifeson85 @ Apr 26 2012, 08:51 PM)
As much as I love BOTH bands just the same...NO. Rush and DT both have way too much music, to just play 90 minutes each. Also, I think we are so used to Rush doing the 3-hour "Evening With" shows at this point, that it would be too much of a "downgrade" for them to go back to doing 90-minute sets.

But with THAT said...if they did like a 2-night, one-time thing, I'd be down with that...just not a FULL-LENGTH tour. I'd imagine Rush would mostly play their hits, with a small handful of "gems", and a couple of new tunes. I could imagine the setlists looking like this:

Dream Theater

Metropolis Pt.1
Caught In A Web
A Fortune In Lies
The Dance Of Eternity
Surrounded
War Inside My Head
On The Backs Of Angels
Pull Me Under
-Encore-
Learning To Live

-20 min. intermission-

RUSH

The Spirit Of Radio
Limelight
Marathon
Time Stand Still
Caravan
YYZ
Freewill
Subdivisions
Red Sector A
Show Don't Tell
Between The Wheels
Leave That Thing Alone!
Drum Solo
Alex Solo / Closer To The Heart
Headlong Flight
The Trees
Xanadu
2112 Overture / Temples
Tom Sawyer
-Encore-
La Villa Strangiato
Working Man

Great setlists for both bands. 1022.gif

Haven't listen to DT since the 'Images Tour'. I can't stand them anymore.

If this happens I 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (ALifeson85 @ Apr 26 2012, 07:51 PM)
I could imagine the setlists looking like this:

Dream Theater

Metropolis Pt.1
Caught In A Web
A Fortune In Lies
The Dance Of Eternity
Surrounded
War Inside My Head
On The Backs Of Angels
Pull Me Under
-Encore-
Learning To Live

DT would never open with Metropolis anymore, that's an encore song all the way. It's also their best song still.

I'd much rather see RUSH and DT play their own 3 hour sets than any combination of the two. It would do injustice to both bands to shorten their sets like that.

please no thanks... although i saw great openers for RUSH..eric johnson,

Mr.big,vinnie moore.I Love the big long RUSH concert,with little break in between...I Hated those "medley days" when they shoved 6 songs into one long encore... music.gif I'll go see DT on another night,anytime

If having an opening act reduces the amount of time that Rush would be on stage, then I will have to pass.

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Apr 27 2012, 01:33 PM)
QUOTE (furie @ Apr 24 2012, 09:16 PM)
i doubt it. Rush hasn't had an opening act since the counterparts tour.

yes.gif

They have far too many songs to preform and not enough time.

They have waaaaaay too many songs to play!

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Apr 24 2012, 09:55 PM)
Dream theatre eats a fat dick. If they toured with Rush I would skip out on any of the shows. I'd do anything to see Rush, but not if the integrity of the show becomes compromised by a wailing fatsack and a chuggachuggachugga weedlyweedlyweedly heavy metal guitarist.

I'm glad you said it. While I know they can play, they bore the hell out of me. I would seriously consider skipping out as well.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 24 2012, 10:23 PM)
Dream Theater is no longer an opening act for anybody, yes?

DT did a tour a couple of years ago where they opened for Megadeath.

I'm a pretty big DT mark, but I'd never want to see this happen.

Now PT opening for Rush...that's a different story.