Songs we will not be hearing this tour

RUSHandOSU

RUSH was here in Omaha back in August of 2010, after a 19 year absence. And, after looking at the upcoming tour list, sadly Omaha is not on the list. I would be happy to have them back playing all the songs you good people would not to care to hear. I could travel to KC, St Louis, or even Minnesota. But I have two children I love dearly, both with medical issues. Im not asking for sympathy or empathy from anyone. I just know a night of seeing RUSH live, again, would lift my spirits. 1022.gif

I am looking forward to people posting pics here from the upcoming tour.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Todem @ Apr 26 2012, 06:17 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 24 2012, 04:58 PM)
Songs they *shouldn't* play?

Tom Sawyer
Limelight
Subdivisions
Freewill
Spirit of Radio
Working Man
2112 Overture/Temples

Songs we almost assuredly *will* hear? See above.

Never going to happen.

Never.

All great songs to this day, all get the crowd going ape shit. I mean really. Tell me you don't notice the crowd rising to a fever pitch during every single one of those songs.

I hope they always play those. Why not? So many people seeing Rush for the first, second, maybe only third time in their life.

Not the 21st like me......and i still don't care if they play those. Seeing my son enjoy those classics is priceless. It's always about the new generation of fans not us old farts. We have seen so much. I am glad they stick to their guns and keep playing the standard classics. Otherwise 80% of the crowd will be sitting on their asses.

Spread the love of Rush man.

As far as what they should not play? Well they could give YYZ, Witch Hunt and Limelight a rest (They have given Limelight a rest before). I would be fine with only T.S and Red Barchetta from Moving Pictures.

They don't need to play anything from Test For Echo, Vapor Trails or Snakes and Arrows. Their new album is plenty of modern day Rush for us.

I hope they focus on their 76-87 period. Lot's of stuff from that era would make 90% of us thrilled.

Fine, so the crowd gets into those songs, so what? Would it kill them to take a chance and play some stuff instead that maybe the rest of us would like to hear? You know, the ones who pay a hundred bucks to see them several times on each tour for the past ten, twenty, thirty years?

Who are these mythological new fans that supposedly make up enough of the audience that the band needs to cater to them instead of catering to the people that have supported them for a few decades? How about instead of Tom Sawyer, which new fans don't have any allegiance too anyway, they play Vital Signs? How about instead of Spirit of Radio, they play Different Strings or Entre Nous? Would it make the concert completely unbearable for new fans?

If new fans only care about Tom Sawyer and the biggest "hits", it's only because some older fan told them that anything after Moving Pictures was a waste of time. Nobody who explores the entire catalog and makes their own decisions comes away thinking that Moving Pictures was the last thing worth hearing.

And as for concentrating on 76-87 in the show, please. That might make some people happy, but there's a large number of people that think the 90's-to-present material is worth playing. If they announce a setlist that ignores anything after 1987, I'm staying home.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 24 2012, 02:58 PM)

Tom Sawyer
Limelight
Subdivisions
Freewill
Spirit of Radio
Working Man
2112 Overture/Temples

I agree with all except 2112. Also add Red Barchetta in there.

Somebody should start a petition asking Rush to NOT play certain songs. tongue.gif

I'd also add: amish_ashaman mentioned that his 9-year-old would be going to his second show (awesome! I wish my kids were old enough to go...). But what would be better? For his son to say he went to a couple of Rush shows and heard a bunch of the same songs twice, or that he went to a couple of shows and heard a wide range of awesome Rush music?

Hey, if Rush only had a dozen good songs, I'd agree with you guys... but they've got almost 40 years and 150-something songs to choose from. I'd rather hear a lot more than the same 20 songs tour after tour!

Well obviously it's crazy to think they would skip Tom Sawyer or TSOR, and to be honest, *I* never ever get tired of TSOR, so I'm cool with that. smile.gif

I'd also be very surprised if they didn't bring out a couple of S&A songs. Far Cry at the very least.

It's also pretty clear they won't bust out Necromancer, or Garden Road or Fancy Dancer for that matter.

Having said that, I'd love to hear some deeper cuts from older albums. Making Memories would be awesome, and I'd LOVE to hear Different Strings live.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 26 2012, 09:44 AM)
QUOTE (Todem @ Apr 26 2012, 06:17 AM)

Tom Sawyer
Limelight
Subdivisions
Freewill
Spirit of Radio
Working Man
2112 Overture/Temples

Never going to happen.

Never.

All great songs to this day, all get the crowd going ape shit. I mean really. Tell me you don't notice the crowd rising to a fever pitch during every single one of those songs.

I hope they always play those. Why not? So many people seeing Rush for the first, second, maybe only third time in their life.

Not the 21st like me......and i still don't care if they play those. Seeing my son enjoy those classics is priceless. It's always about the new generation of fans not us old farts. We have seen so much. I am glad they stick to their guns and keep playing the standard classics. Otherwise 80% of the crowd will be sitting on their asses.

As far as what they should not play? Well they could give YYZ, Witch Hunt and Limelight a rest (They have given Limelight a rest before). I would be fine with only T.S and Red Barchetta from Moving Pictures.

They don't need to play anything from Test For Echo, Vapor Trails or Snakes and Arrows. Their new album is plenty of modern day Rush for us.

I hope they focus on their 76-87 period. Lot's of stuff from that era would make 90% of us thrilled.

Fine, so the crowd gets into those songs, so what? Would it kill them to take a chance and play some stuff instead that maybe the rest of us would like to hear? You know, the ones who pay a hundred bucks to see them several times on each tour for the past ten, twenty, thirty years?

Who are these mythological new fans that supposedly make up enough of the audience that the band needs to cater to them instead of catering to the people that have supported them for a few decades? How about instead of Tom Sawyer, which new fans don't have any allegiance too anyway, they play Vital Signs? How about instead of Spirit of Radio, they play Different Strings or Entre Nous? Would it make the concert completely unbearable for new fans?

If new fans only care about Tom Sawyer and the biggest "hits", it's only because some older fan told them that anything after Moving Pictures was a waste of time. Nobody who explores the entire catalog and makes their own decisions comes away thinking that Moving Pictures was the last thing worth hearing.

And as for concentrating on 76-87 in the show, please. That might make some people happy, but there's a large number of people that think the 90's-to-present material is worth playing. If they announce a setlist that ignores anything after 1987, I'm staying home.

I totally disagree with you. I like you have spent (who knows how much at this point) boatloads of cash on them the past 31 years.

I have seen every (with the lone exception of the Power Windows tour) tour starting with Signals. So I have seen a massive chunk of their catalog.

Over the years they always play deep cuts. I have seen plenty. The Vapor Trails Tour was an amazing set list, the R-30 tour was an insane set list.

But they really blew it out with the Snakes and Arrows tour set list. They brought out a lot of deep nuggets.

There have been some tours where I felt it was good not great (Presto and RTB tours in particular).

Rush has found a nice balance of playing hits, a lot of the tours album, and deep nuggets. The evening with format was a godsend.

I fully expect them to bring out 2-3 deep nuggets, and one tune they may have not played ever, a bunch of new stuff (awesome) etc.

I think they have done a decent job of mixing it up over the years. They are not Pearl Jam or DMB or the Black Crowes who change their set lists night to night. They have a tight, well reherased show. That has been Rush since their inception.

They give everyone a little of what they want, not everything. That is what keeps you coming back for more.

You state in your post that if nothing after 90 is played you would stay home.

WTF do you think they have been doing since 1990? Tat era was well represented up until the Snakes tour. Sheesh are you kidding me?

And oh they played Entre Nous.....in 2007. Or did you miss that?

I made sure I saw it three times along with Circumstances, Digital Man, Mission and A Passage to Bangkok.

They can never satisfy everyone, evertime, all the time. Not a band with a now 19 studio album catalog.

Seriously.

Edited by Todem

QUOTE (amish_ashaman @ Apr 26 2012, 09:30 AM)
QUOTE (jesse2112 @ Apr 26 2012, 09:19 AM)
I kinda hope the setlist resembles the S&A tour in terms of balance considering the amount of new stuff and old stuff.  I didn't mind the huge block of S&A at the beginning of set two.

Yep.

Boooooo new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

tongue.gif

But seriously, that was way too much S&A. Especially when most songs from Vapor Trails have gotten about zero playtime angry.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 24 2012, 04:32 PM)
I can only pray we have heard the last of any S&A songs

goodpost.gif

They'll probably bust out Far Cry though.

Tom Sawyer
Limelight
Subdivisions
Freewill
Spirit of Radio
Working Man
2112 Overture/Temples

I doubt they'll play Working Man, and I have a feeling Freewill's going to get left out too.

goodpost.gif .... I am bringing 2 friends that have never seen Rush before

the looks on there faces will be worth it,during those classics!!...maybe

ill hold off on those beer runs...maybe trink38.gif

I could do without several of the ones played in Time Machine. Mainly:

- everything from Snakes and Arrows (play Earthshine instead)

- Leave That Thing Alone (play Hope instead)

- Stick It Out (put The Pass or Driven instead)

- everything from Moving Pictures EXCEPT for Limelight and PERHAPS YYZ ("ducks and dodges the flying tomatoes")

- 2112 Overture and Syrinx ("ducks again, since more tomatoes are flying my way")

- BU2B and Faithless (but keep Freewill, PLEASE!)

- I liked Presto, but would prefer The Pass or Xanadu

- I liked Time Stand Still (to the point of emotional reaction) but really really really want to hear Prime Mover (though I would be cool with Mission or Mystic Rhythms)

- I liked La Villa Strangiato, but Natural Science would be awesome.

- I liked Subdivisions, but my guitar instructor's favorite is Red Sector A (ok, so that will give the whole audience nightmares for an entire week)

I'd be willing to bet that we only get one or two from MP...Tom Sawyer being one of them! That's one of those "must play" songs...yeah I'm tired of hearing it, but....

Subdivisions is beat, and I'd be willing to bet it's gone

Time Stand Still...one and done..

I'm sure a few others may be swapped out...I'd love to hear them mix it up again....they usually do for "album debut" tours.

Tom Sawyer
Limelight
Subdivisions
Freewill
Spirit of Radio
Working Man
2112 Overture/Temples

Honestly I still enjoy seeing them play all of these live, except for 2112. Geddy just can't sing that one anymore, even tuned down. And I'm fine with Working Man if they don't do the reggae intro!

I don't see them playing B/witch Hunt again. It seems to be showstopper due to the pyro. Obviously this goes to Headlong Flight or another Clockwork Angels song (the title track?) getting some sort of pyro treatment.

Red Barchetta - a long held standard. Say its 50/50 chance it makes this time since we got it on 3 consecutive tours.

Songs from Counterparts, Hold Your Fire or Power Windows.

They dug deep last tour and gave us 2 from CP which was a bit of surprise. I could see some lip service towards Roll The Bones (no songs last tour) and Grace Under Pressure. GUP was completely absent last tour after having at least one song in the setlist since the 96' even though it was just Red Sector A for most of it.

Tom Sawyer
Limelight
Subdivisions
Freewill
Spirit of Radio
Working Man
2112 Overture/Temples

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (jesse2112 @ Apr 26 2012, 09:52 AM)
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/19462188.jpg

I literally LOLed. No, Walter, you're not the only one!!!

Ok, I get it that Tom Sawyer is overplayed, but it's their classic. It will never be dropped.

You don't want to hear TS (Tom Sawyer)? Well, TS (Tough Sh*t).

Edited by Dscrapre

Much as I think I could do without hearing the "Overplayed Seven" there're so many things I love about each song. I would be sad if I didn't get to well up during Al's emotional guitar solo in "Limelight." I would miss screaming "HEY!" during "2112: Overture." I would be bummed if I didn't get to air-drum to "Tom Sawyer."

HOWEVER! If they swapped out "Tom Sawyer" for "Earthshine" or "Mystic Rhythms" I wouldn't be THAT bummed!

QUOTE (quickfree @ Apr 27 2012, 02:20 PM)
I don't see them playing B/witch Hunt again. It seems to be showstopper due to the pyro. Obviously this goes to Headlong Flight or another Clockwork Angels song (the title track?) getting some sort of pyro treatment.

Red Barchetta - a long held standard. Say its 50/50 chance it makes this time since we got it on 3 consecutive tours.

They dug deep last tour and gave us 2 from CP which was a bit of surprise. I could see some lip service towards Roll The Bones (no songs last tour) and Grace Under Pressure. GUP was completely absent last tour after having at least one song in the setlist since the 96' even though it was just Red Sector A for most of it.

I'm holding out for Afterimage, The Enemy Within or Kid Gloves, though I would be very happy with any GUP song

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ Apr 27 2012, 05:50 PM)
QUOTE (quickfree @ Apr 27 2012, 02:20 PM)

I'm holding out for Afterimage, The Enemy Within or Kid Gloves, though I would be very happy with any GUP song

They better play some GUP! angry.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (Kelly D @ Apr 27 2012, 03:39 PM)
QUOTE (jesse2112 @ Apr 26 2012, 09:52 AM)
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/19462188.jpg

I literally LOLed. No, Walter, you're not the only one!!!

at first my meme didnt get any love Im glad someone enjoyed it biggrin.gif