101 members have voted

1. 1. Is Headlong flight an Epic?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tigershark2112 @ Apr 20 2012, 11:42 PM)
This song is EPIC AS FUH, I don't know what song everyone else is hearing. fing.gif

Epic is Xanadu, 2112, The Fountain of Lamneth, Hemispheres, Cygnus X-1, Natural Science, By-tor & the Snow Dog, The Necromancer, Camera Eye.

Headlong Flight is more in the Red Barchetta catergory.

An epic tune needs to have an epic story, have several parts or at least an extended middle section and be over 8 minutes long.

If by epic you mean it's awesome or amazing, then that's a different thing...

trink36.gif

QUOTE (Tigershark2112 @ Apr 21 2012, 12:11 AM)
Oh, and now you're trying to define something that's mainly opinion.
Not sure how your definition of 'epic song' is legitimate.
If I feel it's epic, it's epic to me. Sorry, my mind is made up about it.

tongue.gif

People who voted yes - Rush fans.

People who voted no - crack heads.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 20 2012, 10:06 PM)
An epic tune needs to have an epic story, have several parts or at least an extended middle section and be over 8 minutes long.

If by epic you mean it's awesome or amazing, then that's a different thing...

trink36.gif

this.

it's a song that could have been 5 minutes that was extended, as is often done with rush these days. a true epic has not just the length, but lots of changes and different sections that tells a story. it's not just verse chorus verse chorus verse chorus with a bridge and solo.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 21 2012, 12:54 AM)
QUOTE (Tigershark2112 @ Apr 20 2012, 11:42 PM)
This song is EPIC AS FUH, I don't know what song everyone else is hearing.  fing.gif

Epic is Xanadu, 2112, The Fountain of Lamneth, Hemispheres, Cygnus X-1, Natural Science, By-tor & the Snow Dog, The Necromancer, Camera Eye.

Headlong Flight is more in the Red Barchetta catergory.

yes.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 21 2012, 12:07 AM)
There's no story (only allusions to a couple of events), and the song is merely a bit long, not truly epic in terms of length. But I'm someone who doesn't consider Jacob's Ladder epic, and I know some people do.

Agreed. An epic should tell a story...not just simply be a long song.

Like others have said though, if we're talking epic as in amazing, then yes, no doubt it is. 1022.gif

Jacob's Ladder is kind of a mini epic, there's just not enough story there though.

It's possible the Clockwork Angels title track might be in the mini-epic category, depending on the story and the structure.

Edited by treeduck

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 20 2012, 11:29 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 21 2012, 12:07 AM)
There's no story (only allusions to a couple of events), and the song is merely a bit long, not truly epic in terms of length. But I'm someone who doesn't consider Jacob's Ladder epic, and I know some people do.

Agreed. An epic should tell a story...not just simply be a long song.

Like others have said though, if we're talking epic as in amazing, then yes, no doubt it is. 1022.gif

The story is a key element to me... in the "rate the epics" thread, La Villa is listed. I steadfastly argue that La Villa isn't an epic. It's merely long. Awesome, yes - but I don't consider it an epic.

But....Rush songs can be musically epic.La Villa Strangiato has 12 movements so could qualify as an epic.The Camera Eye doesn't have a story. When I think of Rush the word epic means those big songs that have alot of changes so I personally would include Jacob's Ladder.So as an older Rush fan I would call the following songs epic

1.By Tor and the Snow Dog

2.The Necromancer

3.Xanadu

4.Cygnus X-1

5.La Villa Strangiato

6.Jacob's Ladder

7.Natural Science

8.Analog Kid, Digital Man and The Weapon almost qualify.

2112, Hemispheres and Caress of Steel are the so called concept albums but only one side of each of these albums is dedicated to the theme and they are definitely epic. Hemispheres being my favourite, still sounds awesome after all these years.

Always get a thrill listening to Alex's lead guitar break in the last part of Natural Science, disappointed he left it out in the live version.