Did Geddy bring back the Ricky for Headlong Flight

Test4Eggo

The more I've listened to Headlong Flight, the more I dig it! 1022.gif

I noticed yesterday that not only does it seem like he has a bit more twang in his upper range, but his bass range is as fat as it's ever been!

Now I can completely understand him getting the sound out of his Fender; it's been drilled into my head that he isn't going to go back and use it and Geddy's tone comes mostly through his fingers, however, I was letting a friend listen to it a little while ago and I was saying how much I love the bass tone. Then it hit me, it sounds so close to his old Ricky!

NO, I don't have a source. This is something that just hit me.

People still argue today over which bass Geddy used on which tracks of Moving Pictures even though Geddy has said himself in some interview somewhere.

So maybe it's possible, although it probably isn't the case.

I think it has characteristics of both basses, but in the end, either way, IT SOUNDS GREAT!

2.gif

Test4Eggo

I ain't a Rick.

I got most of the lines down the other night on my Geddy Jazz Bass, it sounds almost the same....not exact but I'm not Mr Lee, just a quarter centuary devotee.

Def a Fender, more than likely a Jazz, possibly a Precision, I'll have to dig out my '79 and compare

Even if he did, don't expect it on the road. He's already said it's to heavy and he can get the same tone out of the lighter Fender.

Why people are so obsessed with him using that bass is beyond me. Did no one hear his tone on the last tour?

As much as I live the Ric, I think it gets a lot of credit for songs that were actually recorded with his black and white '72 Fender.

I couldn't tell you which bass he used for HF, except that it's not the Steinberger which has a very distinct sound IMO.

Edited by Del_Duio

QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Apr 20 2012, 08:52 AM)
Why people are so obsessed with him using that bass is beyond me. Did no one hear his tone on the last tour?

Most of us like their late 70's- early 80's era best and the Ric is featured very prominently in videos and concert footage from that time.

That's probably why. Tell me you wouldn't shit yourself if the two of them whipped out their doublenecks and started playing Hemispheres. It's the same thing, basically.

Sounds like a Fender again to me. It has a slight bit of distortion on it which might be what's making you think it could be a Rick, but it's definitely not. It just doesn't quite have that same distinct aggressive sound a Rick has.

Similar to songs like Vital Signs. It could pass for a Rick, but it sounds like a Fender with a little distortion on it to me, similar to this.

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Apr 20 2012, 09:15 AM)

Most of us like their late 70's- early 80's era best and the Ric is featured very prominently in videos and concert footage from that time.

That's probably why. Tell me you wouldn't shit yourself if the two of them whipped out their doublenecks and started playing Hemispheres. It's the same thing, basically.

As cool as I thought the double necks were at the time when playing Xanadu, not sure I would think it's very cool now. I dont know, they would just start looking extremely dated if they used those again because noone does anymore, even to play old songs it would just be weird to me.

They might as well put on the kimonos again and look like a bunch of guys stuck in the 70s out there. Much rather them stick with normal instruments so they dont look like they're trying to recapture the past.

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 20 2012, 09:19 AM)

As cool as I thought the double necks were at the time when playing Xanadu, not sure I would think it's very cool now. I dont know, they would just start looking extremely dated if they used those again because noone does anymore, even to play old songs it would just be weird to me.

They might as well put on the kimonos again and look like a bunch of guys stuck in the 70s out there. Much rather them stick with normal instruments so they dont look like they're trying to recapture the past.

ohmy.gif Doublenecks Rule. You're Fired! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Apr 20 2012, 09:37 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 20 2012, 09:19 AM)

ohmy.gif Doublenecks Rule. You're Fired! laugh.gif

Well what if the each brought out one of these instead?

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/5479/317265-steve_vai_super.jpg

Geddy's having 3 basses of course. A Rick, a Wal and a Steinberger in the middle

I remember on the Time Machine Tour at the NEC Birmingham that Geddy used a fretted Jaco Pastorious Fender Jazz which I think was used on MALNAR

I thought this had more clarity of sound than the other basses and was hoping he was going to use it on CA. Maybe he has used it. I'm sure I will soon find out smile.gif

Geddy could make a washtub and a single string sound good. It all depends on how well it's recorded. Can barely make out a distinctive bass tone on VT, it's such a muddied mess. No sharpness of tone. No snarl. I hear BASS in very clear ways on Headlong Flight.

Maybe some of his best bass work in years and years.

Even if he did, don't expect it on the road. He's already said it's to heavy and he can get the same tone out of the lighter Fender.

for those of us who dig (and can tell the diff) the rick tone, we'd like to hear him use it...it's a nostalgic thing. i LOVE exit stage left ane that's pretty much all 4001....

it's the same with lerxt and marshalls for me. i prefer his tone with marshalls, but i do dig the HK sound he gets. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Apr 20 2012, 09:42 AM)
I'd love it if he brought out the Wal. I don't know why he ever left it.

Because while it's a high quality instrument, you can't get the aggressive tone out of a Wal that you can out of a Fender Jazz or a Rickenbacker that Geddy wanted when they recorded Counterparts. Geddy himself said in an interview that the Wal "isn't a good "rock" bass" meaning that you can't get it to sound in your face and punchy which is the new sound they wanted post 1993

Edited by jnoble

I like the Rick a lot. Of course it's not the coolest looking bass, but it has such an aggressive sound. It's pretty badass, but I could really live without them pulling out the double necks again.

To me it's sort of like seeing Adam West wear his old Batman costume at fan events. It's something they did when they were very young, when that sort of thing was cool. Now it would seem like a corny gimmick to me.