Headlong Flight (Radio Edit)

The Owl

Just curious, I thought the Radio Edit version of HF was supposed to release today... I checked iTunes, but it's not on there... nor have I seen it on on the playlist for my local rock station today....

- First, did this thing actually come out today like it was supposed to?

- Second, did anyone hear it

- Third, if so, was the edit decent to where the edits are inobvious/not too noticeable?

Tuesday the 24th of April (Amazon, iTunes and others). I will download it just to see what how they edited it.

Our British friends get it a day or two earlier and maybe they get the full length song. No one knows for sure and man-o-man everyone is spec-O-lating.

Radio got it today. If you are a member here then you beat every radio station in the country (and the world).

Thou am special.

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Apr 19 2012, 11:54 PM)
the full version is already available.

I get that, but the edit, while I might not buy it, still nudges my curiosity a bit... I'd like to see if it's a good edit, and what exactly they cut out.

any edit is a bad edit....

it cracks me up radio stations who play the full length version of friggin nonsense like Freebird would play an edited version of Headlong Flight.

Play what the artist intended...hell they don't even have live DJs anymore.

It was played at 8:25 am on the 93.3 WMMR (Philly) morning show on the 19th. I actually liked it better than the 7:20 version. It was a bit more fluid and to-the-point. They cut down the bass intro to basically two measures before the drums/guitar kicked in. They also cut/condensed a large portion of the jamming shortly after Neil's drum break. All in all, I think it has more of a cohesive flow and the average radio listener would probably enjoy it more than the extended version.

I haven't listened to rock radio for a couple of years now. (Make that advertisement radio with some music every now and then.)

I looked up Chicago's two biggest rock stations websites and checked out their "recently played list". Yesterday and so far today (9:30 am) WLUP has played Tom Sawyer, Spirit of Radio and Tom Sawyer. WDRV played Subdivisions.

No Headlong Flight.

So there's another reason why it's not worth listening to rock radio - in Chicago, at least.

Best CHICAGO station is WXRT, but they wont touch Rush.

I also am interested in the edit of HF... I think it could loose a few pounds.

QUOTE (littledrummerboy @ Apr 20 2012, 08:58 AM)
It was played at 8:25 am on the 93.3 WMMR (Philly) morning show on the 19th. I actually liked it better than the 7:20 version. It was a bit more fluid and to-the-point. They cut down the bass intro to basically two measures before the drums/guitar kicked in. They also cut/condensed a large portion of the jamming shortly after Neil's drum break. All in all, I think it has more of a cohesive flow and the average radio listener would probably enjoy it more than the extended version.

I agree. Don't get me wrong, I love the long version as well but the edited version omits the repetitive lyrics and seems to contain a notch more of energy. I wouldn't have noticed this if I didn't watch the lyric video. It was at that time I realized, they could have omitted a few verses for the third and fourth time.

I haven't heard HF on the radio, yet. But yesterday I heard "New World Man" for the firs time on the radio! That was awesome!

I like both versions of the song, but I think that the radio edit is slightly more to the point and maintains the energy better than the full version. The edits in respect to the audio, are not noticable. Edited by Sir Lerxst

QUOTE (druid13 @ Apr 20 2012, 08:52 AM)
any edit is a bad edit....

it cracks me up radio stations who play the full length version of friggin nonsense like Freebird would play an edited version of Headlong Flight.

Play what the artist intended...hell they don't even have live DJs anymore.

goodpost.gif yes.gif

Our local rock station WRQK should change it's call letters to AC/DC fm that's all they ever play with Ozzy thrown in to show they play variety... eyesre4.gif schla03.gif

QUOTE (littledrummerboy @ Apr 20 2012, 08:58 AM)
[snipped] All in all, I think it has more of a cohesive flow and the average radio listener would probably enjoy it more than the extended version.

yes.gif

I can see the fullblown 7:20 version being a bit meaty for the average non-Rush fan radio listening audience to chew on.

Get 'em pumped by the shorter (and by some reports "more punchier") version, get 'em thinking "Holy crap, this new Rush is amazing", get 'em to buy the CD on June 12, and get Rush their elusive #1 record!!

Yeah, I know...that doesn't matter these days (except it still kind of does to me).

- TMD

QUOTE (The Owl @ Apr 20 2012, 08:40 AM)
QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Apr 19 2012, 11:54 PM)
the full version is already available.

I get that, but the edit, while I might not buy it, still nudges my curiosity a bit... I'd like to see if it's a good edit, and what exactly they cut out.

Whichever the most awesome part of the song is...kiss it goodbye laugh.gif

You can log on to Yes.com and put Rush into the search box and then click on their icon on the left side and the real time play list in North America and the Internet pops up and scrolls so you can see who is playing it. The stats I saw this evening showed about 100 stations in North America have spun it at least once or twice.

QUOTE (earth2112shine @ Apr 20 2012, 09:32 AM)
First time in 35 odd years but no not happy.
Not Rush, very contemporary

Headlong flight not lighting my candle confused13.gif no.gif

I see it as Rush and contemporary both. I bet some Rush fans said what you said when they heard their 80s stuff.....contemporary, but not Rush. Rush has always absorbed contemporary trends into their music....nothing new.