Ticket prices

Snaked

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We all have The Eagles to thank for this. They were the first band to dip their toe in the Over-$100-Ticket waters, taking a calculated risk that fans would pay more than usual for tickets to their "Hell Freezes Over" Tour because (A) demand would be high since they hadn't toured in many years [and it was doubtful the band would ever reunite], and (B...the bigger factor) they knew that their core fan base was now older and filled with a lot of professionals making more money [thus having more disposable income]. This gamble paid off big time for the band, and many of the larger-profile performers followed their lead to similar results. Aside from a few rebels (such as Pearl Jam), the concert ticket market took a drastic shift from this point.

Granted, the landscape has changed over the years with different factors (TM, brokers etc) coming into play to drive prices much higher...but it all began with The Eagles*, and as far as I'm concerned "Hell Freezes Over" was the starting point for all this nonsense.

* I don't hold too much of a grudge against them, because if it wasn't them it would have been someone else. But FWIW, while I'm a casual fan of their music, I have never purchased a ticket for any Eagles tour (and probably never will) because I'm reminded of this moment every time they announce another tour.

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ May 15 2012, 02:37 PM)
I paid only $975 for three tickets where I won't find out for 5 months how good they are or not. WTF is wrong with that?

burger2.gif

Nothing wrong with that. You chose to buy them. sarcasm.gif

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ May 15 2012, 06:18 PM)
QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ May 15 2012, 02:37 PM)
I paid only $975 for three tickets where I won't find out for 5 months how good they are or not.  WTF is wrong with that?

burger2.gif

Nothing wrong with that. You chose to buy them. sarcasm.gif

This x1000.

We all make choices. We all decide what something is worth to us.

Tickets for The Wall in San Francisco were going, face value, at $281. And I'm telling you there must have been 100 billion people there. The product was worth it.

Rush definitely gives you your money's worth, so you know there's value there.

I wish I could have gotten the seats I wanted at face value, but the opportunity wasn't there (believe me I tried). In the end I got the seats that I wanted, and what I paid for them is really my problem, not the seller's.

This will be the first tour EVER that I am choosing NOT to see RUSH. The ONLY reason is because of the ticket prices. For me I just can not get myself to shell out the money. I guess I am getting old. In the past, when a tour would announce, I would get seats immediately. Now, not so much.

QUOTE (friendlyfloridian @ May 16 2012, 10:36 AM)
This will be the first tour EVER that I am choosing NOT to see RUSH. The ONLY reason is because of the ticket prices. For me I just can not get myself to shell out the money. I guess I am getting old. In the past, when a tour would announce, I would get seats immediately. Now, not so much.

you're not the only one who feels that way.

QUOTE (Snaked @ May 16 2012, 10:46 AM)
QUOTE (friendlyfloridian @ May 16 2012, 10:36 AM)

you're not the only one who feels that way.

What is your story?