Ticket prices

Snaked

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ Apr 21 2012, 07:11 PM)
QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ Apr 21 2012, 07:10 PM)
Clearly a legendary, long-lived band like Rush can charge whatever they want (and I'd probably pay it), but still, $200+ for a couple concert tickets is a slightly scary prospect  ph34r.gif

Still, it's probably cheaper than hitting up an opera or seeing a Broadway show, and I'd pick Rush over those options any day. So in that light, I guess $200 isn't that crazy.

Agreed. Although, I have to say when it comes to seeing any of my favorite bands like Rush, I don't really care where I sit or how much they charge for tickets. I just want to see them as much as I can before they stop touring for good.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (troutman @ Apr 21 2012, 06:05 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 21 2012, 03:45 PM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Apr 21 2012, 03:34 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 19 2012, 09:39 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 19 2012, 08:31 AM)
QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Apr 19 2012, 09:09 AM)
For Chicago:

US $50.50 Ticket + US $10.61 Fees/Additional Taxes = US $61.11
US $151.00 Ticket + US $12.81 Fees/Additional Taxes = US $163.81

New Jersey - $170

Just like Van Halen , they are living under a rock and don't know money is tight all around

And just like Van Halen, they will sell massive amounts of tickets to people for whom money isn't that tight.

And leave many of their less fortunate fans in the dust.

Sadly, yes.

It's called a budget. If a concert is a top priority, you plan for it. Just like care maintenance ect. wink.gif

True... but on the other hand, tickets go on sale for many places less than a week after the tour announcement. Kinda hard to budget like that. I love that they've announced dates 6, 7 months in advance, but I strongly disagree with the practice of selling tickets more than 2 months out.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 21 2012, 08:33 PM)
For Chicago:

New Jersey - $170

Just like Van Halen , they are living under a rock and don't know money is tight all around

And just like Van Halen, they will sell massive amounts of tickets to people for whom money isn't that tight.

Sadly, yes.

It's called a budget. If a concert is a top priority, you plan for it. Just like care maintenance ect. wink.gif

True... but on the other hand, tickets go on sale for many places less than a week after the tour announcement. Kinda hard to budget like that. I love that they've announced dates 6, 7 months in advance, but I strongly disagree with the practice of selling tickets more than 2 months out.

yes.gif annoying!

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ Apr 21 2012, 06:11 PM)
QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ Apr 21 2012, 07:10 PM)
Clearly a legendary, long-lived band like Rush can charge whatever they want (and I'd probably pay it), but still, $200+ for a couple concert tickets is a slightly scary prospect  ph34r.gif

Still, it's probably cheaper than hitting up an opera or seeing a Broadway show, and I'd pick Rush over those options any day. So in that light, I guess $200 isn't that crazy.

Man... check out the price for tickets to a top Vegas show sometime. It's horrifying. And these people do anywhere from 2-5 shows a week for most of the year.

It's not necessarily the same performers either - there are a lot of people under the makeup in the Blue Man Group, and they perform 7 days a week, two shows a day. Cheapest seat in the house is $75 and it's *way* in the back. Edges of the theater are $125, anything in the center of the house, you're looking at $175. The show is 1hr and 45 minutes long.

Elton John starts at $115. Celine Dion, $120 minimum. Rod freakin' Stewart starts at $185. Worst seat in the house, $185.

Kinda makes you think paying $75 or $100 for good seats or $45 for the lawn at a once-every-5-years Rush show ain't so bad laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 21 2012, 04:33 PM)
For Chicago:

New Jersey - $170

Sadly, yes.

Well,

You and I have no control over that. There are more important things in life than worrying about ticket prices. You might have a point. But I for one, plan for what is a top priority. And this is one of them. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 21 2012, 07:33 PM)
For Chicago:

New Jersey - $170

Sadly, yes.

I agree with ya . A family of 5, a House and 2 cars , not easy to plunk down almost $400 for 2 tickets at the drop of a hat . Bands have been doing this for years with ticket sales and it drives me up a wall . You are playing in Sept ? Put the tickets onsale in July not April

QUOTE (troutman @ Apr 21 2012, 07:05 PM)
For Chicago:

New Jersey - $170

Sadly, yes.

Which is why I've stocked up on lubricant this time.

It would be a LOT less painful if about 85 percent of the available tickets were released with the rest of them.

I get that some seats are held back, but the ticket buying experience now is beyond the pale.

The right thing to do would be to wait until showtime, but I'm always to chicken to try when Rush is involved.

Are tickets expensive? Yes, but Rush is probably the best value in rock, hands down.

Prices have far outpaced inflation because of meager record sales. This applies to all acts.

The band is a business. They can charge what the market will bear. Good for them!

The reason why they sell tickets months in advance is to a.) sell more tickets (this way more can plan/finance/spread the word) b.) gauge demand c.) market the band to raise awareness/hype/popularity.

QUOTE (RUSHandOSU @ Apr 20 2012, 09:35 PM)
glad columubus isnt looking too bad!! 91 is most expenisve price for here.

Yeah except you can't get any seats better than Sect 105.

Did the presales and all. Kept throwing back unimpressive seats because surely I could throw a rock anytime and get that bad a seat.

So first minute going on sale, , nothing but one section pops up for 4 days. 4 days! Nothing but section 105 or its counterpart on the other side. Seriously? The place is sold out except those two sections the second they go on sale. Today I found 2 in the upper level.

Premium tickets are 350 for rows 10-12 on the edges of the row. Now have dropped to 295 because they aren't selling presumably. Today a premium ticket showed up row 4, back to 350 again. At least its row 4, something I would consider to be actually a PREMIUM seat. I got them simply because its probably their last go round and doesn't make sense to me to travel so far to see them and sit in the back. I have and will keep buyer's remorse until the lights go down Sept 20. For 3 hours I'll forget about the stupidity of what I've just done. Feeding the madness with my hard earned money, encouraging the ticket folks to keep doing what they are doing (crazy prices and holding back tickets, not offering all tickets for sale at the same time).

Now I just have to not look at any more tickets for the show, so I don't see front row show up next week for the same price. Because it will, I'm sure.

QUOTE (Snaked @ Apr 19 2012, 07:49 AM)
QUOTE (Kelly D @ Apr 19 2012, 08:38 AM)
QUOTE (Snaked @ Apr 19 2012, 07:28 AM)
Ticket prices are starting to appear on Ticketmaster
http://www.ticketmaster.com/artist/807344

Opening Night - Manchester NH
$107.45 after TM fees

Detroit
$138.70 after fees.

And that's not even counting the broker sites *facepalm*

Pardon the expression but...

f**k the brokers.

I feel better now smile.gif

I SECOND THAT

I paid well over 220 big ones each for tickets. Then I get them and the face value is $125 rage.gif

And people buy these tickets JUST to sell to people and make a killing.

WHY IS THAT NOT ILLEGAL!?

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ May 14 2012, 06:46 PM)

$107.45 after TM fees

Detroit
$138.70 after fees.

f**k the brokers.

I SECOND THAT

I paid well over 220 big ones each for tickets. Then I get them and the face value is $125 rage.gif

Because common sense prevails. If I own something, I have the right to do with it what I like. That includes selling it to someone else. If you don't like the price I'm charging, you have the right to refuse to pay it.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 14 2012, 09:02 PM)

$107.45 after TM fees

Detroit
$138.70 after fees.

f**k the brokers.

I SECOND THAT

Because common sense prevails. If I own something, I have the right to do with it what I like. That includes selling it to someone else. If you don't like the price I'm charging, you have the right to refuse to pay it.

goodpost.gif

It sucks, but it definitely should not be illegal.

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 14 2012, 08:32 PM)

$107.45 after TM fees

Detroit
$138.70 after fees.

f**k the brokers.

I SECOND THAT

goodpost.gif

Face value of a ticket is the price at which it was meant to be purchased by someone who intends to use that ticket to attend that event! When people buy up gobs of tickets to re-sell for their own personal gain and at the expense of people just trying to attend the show, it's more of a strain on the rest of us who, for some, face value is pricey enough.

I mean, if someone were to buy a pair of tickets, find out they couldn't attend the show, and sell them for a reasonable amount above face value, just to recover from ticketbastard fees or whatever...that I understand, that's fine. But for one person to jump right in at the beginning and buy up 12 seats KNOWING they will only use two, and sell the rest for profit at ridiculous prices they just KNOW some poor sap will pay...I will say that person is a greedy scum-sucking asshole.

Whatever, I already burned myself this tour, just as I had the past few tours. He got my money. Hope he gets mugged.

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ May 14 2012, 08:28 PM)

$107.45 after TM fees

Detroit
$138.70 after fees.

f**k the brokers.

I SECOND THAT

goodpost.gif

Face value of a ticket is the price at which it was meant to be purchased by someone who intends to use that ticket to attend that event! When people buy up gobs of tickets to re-sell for their own personal gain and at the expense of people just trying to attend the show, it's more of a strain on the rest of us who, for some, face value is pricey enough.

I mean, if someone were to buy a pair of tickets, find out they couldn't attend the show, and sell them for a reasonable amount above face value, just to recover from ticketbastard fees or whatever...that I understand, that's fine. But for one person to jump right in at the beginning and buy up 12 seats KNOWING they will only use two, and sell the rest for profit at ridiculous prices they just KNOW some poor sap will pay...I will say that person is a greedy scum-sucking asshole.

Whatever, I already burned myself this tour, just as I had the past few tours. He got my money. Hope he gets mugged.

Oh, very nice. So because you chose to buy the tickets he was offering, he should get mugged. Classy.

Let me ask you this: do you buy everything in your life wholesale? Do you buy everything direct from the manufacturer? Because paying middlemen is the foundation of our economic model. Always has been. Just because you don't like the fact that someone else beat you to the tickets, doesn't make it unethical. Doesn't make it something that should be made illegal.

And it sure as hell isn't something that anyone with a soul would wish a mugging on someone over. Jesus Christ, what's next? You pay too much for a pair of shoes so maybe the clerk deserves to have her home robbed? You pay too much for a television so maybe the manager of the store should have his car set on fire?

Nooo, those would be extreme examples, right? But mugging, that's harmless.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 14 2012, 10:15 PM)
QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ May 14 2012, 08:28 PM)

$107.45 after TM fees

Detroit
$138.70 after fees.

f**k the brokers.

I SECOND THAT

goodpost.gif

Oh, very nice. So because you chose to buy the tickets he was offering, he should get mugged. Classy.

Let me ask you this: do you buy everything in your life wholesale? Do you buy everything direct from the manufacturer? Because paying middlemen is the foundation of our economic model. Always has been. Just because you don't like the fact that someone else beat you to the tickets, doesn't make it unethical. Doesn't make it something that should be made illegal.

And it sure as hell isn't something that anyone with a soul would wish a mugging on someone over. Jesus Christ, what's next? You pay too much for a pair of shoes so maybe the clerk deserves to have her home robbed? You pay too much for a television so maybe the manager of the store should have his car set on fire?

Nooo, those would be extreme examples, right? But mugging, that's harmless.

Yes, I did go overboard in the hateful comment department. Strictly out of anger, no true harm intended.

However, I still stand ground on the scum-suckin assholes portion. There is really no reason for prices being so outrageous, other than "because we can and we will. Deal with it bitches"

The days of just waiting in line for tickets everybody pays the same price for are clearly over, given up to the electronic purchasing era dominated by sharks looking to make a quick buck. I saw tickets on stubhub going for well over $1200 each. Bet ya most of them initially sold for $125. 25% markup? Fine. 50%? Eh....Over 900%? Stuff it!

Reminds me of that moron who tried selling Rush license plates on eBay for $19,000! :

Look, I know that activity is perfectly legal, and chances are that will never change, but it would take a hell of a lot to convince me it's right.

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ May 14 2012, 09:51 PM)
Yes, I did go overboard in the hateful comment department. Strictly out of anger, no true harm intended.

However, I still stand ground on the scum-suckin assholes portion. There is really no reason for prices being so outrageous, other than "because we can and we will. Deal with it bitches"

The days of just waiting in line for tickets everybody pays the same price for are clearly over, given up to the electronic purchasing era dominated by sharks looking to make a quick buck. I saw tickets on stubhub going for well over $1200 each. Bet ya most of them initially sold for $125. 25% markup? Fine. 50%? Eh....Over 900%? Stuff it!

Reminds me of that moron who tried selling Rush license plates on eBay for $19,000! :

Look, I know that activity is perfectly legal, and chances are that will never change, but it would take a hell of a lot to convince me it's right.

I understand where you're coming from. I disagree, but I understand.

But things haven't changed *that* much. In the old days, the scalpers were simply in line ahead of you. Today, they're quicker with the mouse, maybe. The competition has always been there.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 14 2012, 11:11 PM)
QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ May 14 2012, 09:51 PM)

I understand where you're coming from. I disagree, but I understand.

But things haven't changed *that* much. In the old days, the scalpers were simply in line ahead of you. Today, they're quicker with the mouse, maybe. The competition has always been there.

As long as the point was made, it doesn't need to be agreed with. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ May 14 2012, 07:46 PM)

$107.45 after TM fees

Detroit
$138.70 after fees.

f**k the brokers.

I SECOND THAT

It's not illegal because the buyer can buy tickets from wherever he wants. Opportunity cost can be expensive. They are only worth what someone will pay.

QUOTE (upstateNYfan @ May 15 2012, 11:26 AM)
QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ May 14 2012, 07:46 PM)

$107.45 after TM fees

Detroit
$138.70 after fees.

f**k the brokers.

I SECOND THAT

It's not illegal because the buyer can buy tickets from wherever he wants. Opportunity cost can be expensive. They are only worth what someone will pay.

Glad you enjoy other music out there. Not much compares to a rocking concert!

The outstanding value Rush is delivers is, in my opinion, from the amazing intensity and DURATION of the show, undiluted with opening acts and shortened sets.

It's just personal preference... 1022.gif