Rolling Stone released the song first....

vital signz

Rolling Stone has always been unkind to Rush and fans, but lately they have done more pieces on the band and it hit me that maybe they are doing this today as a peace offering and an attempt to be cool to Rush and fans.

What do you all think?

Edited by vital signz

They care about nothing but $$$. They're a business. What happened today when they released it? Traffic spike, show that to their advertisers, raise ad space cost.

They don't care about us or anyone else, they just want traffic. They know Rush has fans and they want us coming there. To think they're just doing us some sort of favor is silly.

QUOTE (vital signz @ Apr 18 2012, 08:46 PM)
Rolling Stone has always been unkind to Rush and fans, but lately they have done more pieces on the band and it hit me that maybe they are doing this today as a peace offering and an attempt to be cool to Rush and fans.

What to you all think?

I think I wouldnt even wipe my ass with Rolling Stone. Despite them coming around after nearly 40 f-cking years, they are likely only doing so because of the bands renewed popularity, staying power, and undeniable legitimacy as artists.

F-ck them. They can stick their olive branch straight up their ass.

Edited by lerxt1990

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 18 2012, 06:50 PM)
They care about nothing but $$$. They're a business. What happened today when they released it? Traffic spike, show that to their advertisers, raise ad space cost.

They don't care about us or anyone else, they just want traffic. They know Rush has fans and they want us coming there. To think they're just doing us some sort of favor is silly.

This.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Apr 18 2012, 08:50 PM)

What to you all think?

I think I wouldnt even wipe my ass with Rolling Stone. Despite them coming around after nearly 40 f-cking years, they are likely only doing so because of the bands renewed popularity, staying power, and undeniable legitimacy as artists.

Yes, but how do you really feel? applaudit.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Apr 18 2012, 07:50 PM)

What to you all think?

this

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 18 2012, 07:50 PM)

Exactly. They want to sell, Rush is gaining a lot of popularity recently. How do they appeal to a lot more fans they used to laugh at? By appealing to Rush. Unless they leak more Rush songs, I won't have anything else to do with RS. Based on that stunt, Rush won't either. I read somewhere that they don't like having their songs leaked (more so than most bands). Odds are they won't be giving RS any more advance copies.

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Apr 18 2012, 07:19 PM)

Exactly. They want to sell, Rush is gaining a lot of popularity recently. How do they appeal to a lot more fans they used to laugh at? By appealing to Rush. Unless they leak more Rush songs, I won't have anything else to do with RS. Based on that stunt, Rush won't either. I read somewhere that they don't like having their songs leaked (more so than most bands). Odds are they won't be giving RS any more advance copies.

In all fairness... we don't know it was a leak. We don't know RS jumped the gun. All we knew for sure was that tomorrow would be a radio release. They didn't say "world premiere" or anything like that. They could have been planning this from the start.

It's a bit of a thin argument, I know. I'm not holding my breath that it's true, and I wouldn't bet the house on it... but it's at least plausible. Personally, I'm giving RS a pass on this one. Yeah, they suck as a rule, but they did us a solid by beating our expectations today (for profit or otherwise).

If Rolling Stone had just enough room in their rag for one article, and it was between Lady Gaga and Rush, who do you think would make the cut?

Rolling Stone sucks ass.

RS just wants $$. They ridiculed Rush for years and much to their dismay Rush did not go away. The fans of the group are loyal (even though we will freely criticize songs / albums we don't like) and have plenty of $$.

This is a rather anticipated album so if RS can do something nice for Rush that gets it more business and hence more $$ they will do so.

Got to admit I am rather shocked to see this come through RS. Could be the guys said 'You want to use us? Fine but we will use you in return". Gets the group some positive press from RS and possibly more album sales and concert tickets sold. In other words, RS gets some more $ and the guys gets some more $. Fine with me.

No peace offering. They just want a piece of your wallet. Which is ok with me cause RS won't get a piece of my wallet but I will definitely be purchasing the album.

QUOTE (TheAccountant @ Apr 18 2012, 08:33 PM)
RS just wants $$. They ridiculed Rush for years and much to their dismay Rush did not go away. The fans of the group are loyal (even though we will freely criticize songs / albums we don't like) and have plenty of $$.

This is a rather anticipated album so if RS can do something nice for Rush that gets it more business and hence more $$ they will do so.

Got to admit I am rather shocked to see this come through RS. Could be the guys said 'You want to use us? Fine but we will use you in return". Gets the group some positive press from RS and possibly more album sales and concert tickets sold. In other words, RS gets some more $ and the guys gets some more $. Fine with me.

No peace offering. They just want a piece of your wallet. Which is ok with me cause RS won't get a piece of my wallet but I will definitely be purchasing the album.

God forbid a business try to make money. Whatever is the world coming to when a business actually tries to make money? You know what would totally be better? If Rolling Stone put everything out for free, didn't charge anything, and only covered the stuff you like. Of course, they'd be out of business by the end of the year, but AT LEAST THEY'D BE PURE!!!!

Whatever.

Rolling Stone sucks for a lot of reasons, but daring to make money isn't one of them.

goodpost.gif

I feel the exact same.

Wow you guys love to hate Rolling Stones. I don't really like them either. The Band or the magazine. The only rolling stones i like are the ones tumbling down a hill in an avalanche.

Avalanches Kick ASS!!!! 1022.gif

I agree with those who said RS is just in it for the money, but...

Sadly, if anything, this act makes them all the more powerful in the Rush fans vs. Rolling Stone wars. They entered into this bargain with Roadrunner in which they got to hold the carrot for a day and get us all to hop to the RS website to chase it. Who among us was strong enough to say, "No, I refuse to go to Rolling Stone. I'll wait one more day for the radio release"? None of us.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Apr 18 2012, 11:14 PM)
Who among us was strong enough to say, "No, I refuse to go to Rolling Stone. I'll wait one more day for the radio release"? None of us.

How is waiting to listen to the song being "strong"?

It's just a magazine. By pouring on the hate Rush fans make RS more than it is.

I don't buy it because the few times I've ever looked in one it had nothing that interested me. If it did, I'd buy it and not feel guilty at all.

It's really that simple.

I'm pretty sure this was a calculated move by the label. Labels will often send out promos and streams to bigger outlets before everyone else in the media. It works for both sides. The bigger sites get exclusives (traffic etc.) And the label/artist gets their release hyped through a bigger outlet.

I highly doubt Rolling Stone just happened to be sitting on this, and decided to stream it. In fact, most outlets have to get permission from the label first to stream new material (but usually the Labels send you stuff with the disclaimer whether you can stream it or not).

So yeah, I don't see this as an Olive Branch. I see it as Road Runner doing their jobs, and properly promoting Rush.

Edited by Mr. Henry Gale

Sadly, if anything, this act makes them all the more powerful in the Rush fans vs. Rolling Stone wars. They entered into this bargain with Roadrunner in which they got to hold the carrot for a day and get us all to hop to the RS website to chase it. Who among us was strong enough to say, "No, I refuse to go to Rolling Stone. I'll wait one more day for the radio release"? None of us.

In the end, this is great for the band. RS is great exposure, and, even if it's ass-kissing for cash, I love the fact that RS is having to eat three decades of RUSH-hating words.

applaudit.gif

I honestly would see RS doing it to stick it to Rush yet again!

Does anyone know how long after the RS leak Rush.com put up the video? The boys' surely would've known about the leak and maybe they tried to do damage control by putting it out on their own website. confused13.gif

QUOTE (goose @ Apr 18 2012, 11:39 PM)

Sadly, if anything, this act makes them all the more powerful in the Rush fans vs. Rolling Stone wars.  They entered into this bargain with Roadrunner in which they got to hold the carrot for a day and get us all to hop to the RS website to chase it.  Who among us was strong enough to say, "No, I refuse to go to Rolling Stone.  I'll wait one more day for the radio release"?  None of us.

In the end, this is great for the band. RS is great exposure, and, even if it's ass-kissing for cash, I love the fact that RS is having to eat three decades of RUSH-hating words.

applaudit.gif

Maybe they'll get their long deserved cover like AC/DC finally got when Black Ice came out.