267 members have voted

1. 1. So...Do you like Headlong Flight?

• Love it!
    • Like it.
    • It's ok.
    • Don't like it.
    • Hate it.

QUOTE (tas7 @ Apr 19 2012, 03:43 AM)
I just might be the only Rush fan on here who likes Caravan and BU2B more than Headlong Flight.

bekloppt.gif Nope, I like Caravan and BU2B better too! Caravan's been stuck in my head for the last couple days.

And I still like Vapor Trails better than anything that's come after it. wink.gif That said, I'm still quite pumped for Clockwork Angels! Can't wait to hear the whole album.

need to chime in on the vocal melody controversy. I've been in meetings all morning and could barely concentrate because this was in a constant loop in my head:

I'll stoke the fire on the big steel wheels

Steer the airship right across the stars

I learned to fight, I learned to love, and learned to feel

Oh I wish that i could live it all again

wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif

I like it. It is a killer jam song. Melodic? No not really. I have listened to it 5 times through my bose buds from the RS site. I refuse to give any sonic impressions until I have the CD in my hands and playing on both my high end home system and my bose in the car. I think it is downright dumb for anyone to give true sonic impressions from a compressed to death stream.

As far as the song overall I think it is a nice throwback with lot's of passages reminding me of Bastille day and By Tor and Snow Dog. Neil is attacking his drums again and Geddy sounds amazing both on the bass and some of his vocal acrobatics. Alex sounds good. Nothing crazy nor hair raising. I am hoping we here some classic Alex like solo's and phrasing on some of the other tracks.

Another thing too is this is clearly part of a massive suite. There is going to be 12 tracks (be it BU2B 2 looks like a quick passage/transisiton piece) and this will probably sound even better once I have the clear feel for the entire groove and direction of the album. The lyrics are very visual and also harken back more to the 74-82 era.

Overall a good song. I feel Caravan and BU2B are better overall songs in that they have better hooks and melody. As far as chops and riffs this song is a killer track and fun to listen to.

I just can't wait till November 3 in Tampa. Already making my travel plans!

Edited by Todem

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ Apr 19 2012, 12:45 PM)
QUOTE (tas7 @ Apr 19 2012, 03:43 AM)
I just might be the only Rush fan on here who likes Caravan and BU2B more than Headlong Flight.

bekloppt.gif Nope, I like Caravan and BU2B better too! Caravan's been stuck in my head for the last couple days.

And I still like Vapor Trails better than anything that's come after it. wink.gif That said, I'm still quite pumped for Clockwork Angels! Can't wait to hear the whole album.

I dont care much for Caravan, but I definitely like BU2B a heck of a lot more than HF. BU2B sounds like it was written with singing in mind so it doesnt sound all hacked together.

Hmmmm....actually I like HF better than BU2B....

BU2B seems very bombastic and almost farty....kind of like peacable kingdom did....too overwhelming....its still a good song but I like more space...

Interestingly enough HF has more space....clarity.

I listened to a live tape of Hemispheres live the other day....you know....I hate to say it but they sounded kind of amateur...even if that is the era so many feel fondly about...go back and check it...

Not that melodic either...and somewhat bombastic if you are honest.

Rush has never been Yes...and thank god for that.

Edited by druid13

QUOTE (druid13 @ Apr 19 2012, 01:38 PM)
Hmmmm....actually I like HF better than BU2B....

BU2B seems very bombastic and almost farty....kind of like peacable kingdom did....too overwhelming....its still a good song but I like more space...

Interestingly enough HF has more space....clarity.

I listened to a live tape of Hemispheres live the other day....you know....I hate to say it but they sounded kind of amateur...even if that is the era so many feel fondly about...go back and check it...

Not that melodic either...and somewhat bombastic if you are honest.

Rush has never been Yes...and thank god for that.

Ive heard a LOT of Hemispheres stuff live. Amateur is like the last word I can think of and noone could ever convince me this band is on the same level they were then. No freaking way, not even close.

But if you think they are, I cant argue that. That's how you feel. trink39.gif

check it out....

Anyone being honest (and I love this era as well) playing the role of "critic" can hear...

1. Vocals...Geddy simply could not hit that stuff even then.

2. Arrangements....repetitive at points. ..(a common complaint now)

3. Relying on "sound effects" (a complaint now as well)

4. Playing not as tight as it could be...loose on timing in spots ( no big deal...look every band in the 70s did this)

5. Lastly Melodies...? A bit off melodically if you are honest.

6. Relying on Bombast...see effects above

7. Synth sounds are kind of juvenille sounding as well ("I have memory and awareness")

...ugh

Look I love this era as much as anyone does but without my emotional investment from my younger years and strictly taking a critical listen...you can find plenty to complain about in this era as well. I think if you can't its being a bit wrapped in nostalgia at this point.

Sometimes I actually understand Neil when he says Rush was not born till MP.

Edited by druid13

QUOTE (druid13 @ Apr 19 2012, 02:05 PM)
check it out....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mX-re9vwzM

Anyone being honest (and I love this era as well) playing the role of "critic" can hear...

1. Vocals...Geddy simply could not hit that stuff even then.
2. Arrangements....repetitive at points. ..(a common complaint now)
3. Relying on "sound effects" (a complaint now as well)
4. Playing not as tight as it could be...loose on timing in spots ( no big deal...look every band in the 70s did this)
5. Lastly Melodies...? A bit off melodically if you are honest.
6. Relying on Bombast...see effects above
7. Synth sounds are kind of juvenille sounding as well ("I have memory and awareness")
...ugh

Look I love this era as much as anyone does but without my emotional investment from my younger years and strictly taking a critical listen...you can find plenty to complain about in this era as well. I think if you can't its being a bit wrapped in nostalgia at this point.

Sometimes I actually understand Neil when he says Rush was not born till MP.

Rush at there absolute peak IMO was Waves - Hold your Fire.

Hemispheres is my second all time Rush record. Forget the live interpretation, that tour was tough, that album was tough to make too. I am talking strictly from a studio standpoint. It was the last side lone epic and by far the best they ever did. Yeah it has some repetitve passages, but overall top to bottom the song is insane.

As far as pure songwriting Waves - HYF saw the band hitting their creative peak.

My thoughts.

QUOTE (druid13 @ Apr 19 2012, 02:05 PM)
check it out....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mX-re9vwzM

Ive listened to that before. The vocals are absolutely horrendous there. He sounds like either he was getting over a cold, but to me it sounds like his voice is very tired after having to sing that multiple nights in a row. If I try to sing high for too long I end up sounding like total shit. Just tired vocal chords, thats what im hearing there.

He didnt always sound like that on that tour. Ive heard MUCH better Hemispheres boots where he did sound like a very young vibrant singer without limitations. I think that recording there is the worst ive heard him in those years so its not a great example.

Just listen to ESL. He sounds fantastic and it was just what, 2 years before this video? They didnt really become what everyone knows them as until PW or MP, but they were still a great band before that.

Edited by trenken

After listening to it about 15 times. I can safely say I love it. This is turning into one of my favs already. Love the first time the song goes from an explosion into the quieter yet brilliant section where geddy sings '' I have stoked the fire on the big steel wheels' goosebumps at that part, can't wait to hear it live! smile.gif

QUOTE (analog guy @ Apr 19 2012, 03:33 PM)
I like the song better, but I'm not happy with the audio quality of anything I have heard so far.

So that prevents me from loving it. Maybe the final CD will be good enough.

im getting a little uneasy about the mix myself. i listened to Caravan today and it's definitely cleaner.

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 19 2012, 11:16 AM)
Ill post some examples of what I think are great melodies since Im bored as shit at work. lol

These are from the new Mars Volta album because it's fresh in my mind, and it took Cedric 1 solid year to write the lyrics and put these melodies together. To me these are FAR greater than anything Ive heard from Rush in the last 10 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p07-byXUJ9E#t=02m07s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFSyc2s4eeA#t=02m55s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNjs4M9mlY4#t=03m52s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFSyc2s4eeA#t=05m10s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix_RzGWYbWo#t=03m10s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AximRP7U50M#t=00m28s

Now keep in mind this is a prog band, or were anyway. Their past albums were f***ing nuts musically. Really difficult to play, and then they come out with this, simplified and great vocal melodies, and it took the guy over a year to put it together, not 3 months like Rush spent on CA.

I wasnt trying to make some sort of commercial promoting Mars Volta. In fact I dont think those links I posted are even close to their best albums, I just posted them since they're from their new album and are fresh in my mind.

If you dont like those clips thats totally fine, but they are examples of vocal melodies that are easy to digest. They flow with the music, none of them sound like they dont fit, and are very well constructed and easy to sing along to.

Like all of music not everyone will like it, but if you look at the comments on all of those clips, tons of people do. They are a modern day Rush. Hardcore prog beginnings and just now starting to write shorter, normal songs.

Then I listen to Headlong Flight and I hear music that sounds like 5 different jams glued together with some vocals slapped on at the very end. It just doesnt sound like a rock solid song to me. It's kind of a mess. I dont get what they're doing now. Im not the kind of fan where if Geddy just rips a little im ready to say its the best theyve been in a long time. Without strong melodies the song means nothing to me.

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 19 2012, 09:48 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 19 2012, 11:16 AM)
Ill post some examples of what I think are great melodies since Im bored as shit at work. lol

These are from the new Mars Volta album because it's fresh in my mind, and it took Cedric 1 solid year to write the lyrics and put these melodies together. To me these are FAR greater than anything Ive heard from Rush in the last 10 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p07-byXUJ9E#t=02m07s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFSyc2s4eeA#t=02m55s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNjs4M9mlY4#t=03m52s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFSyc2s4eeA#t=05m10s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix_RzGWYbWo#t=03m10s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AximRP7U50M#t=00m28s

Now keep in mind this is a prog band, or were anyway. Their past albums were f***ing nuts musically. Really difficult to play, and then they come out with this, simplified and great vocal melodies, and it took the guy over a year to put it together, not 3 months like Rush spent on CA.

I wasnt trying to make some sort of commercial promoting Mars Volta. In fact I dont think those links I posted are even close to their best albums, I just posted them since they're from their new album and are fresh in my mind.

If you dont like those clips thats totally fine, but they are examples of vocal melodies that are easy to digest. They flow with the music, none of them sound like they dont fit, and are very well constructed and easy to sing along to.

Like all of music not everyone will like it, but if you look at the comments on all of those clips, tons of people do. They are a modern day Rush. Hardcore prog beginnings and just now starting to write shorter, normal songs.

Then I listen to Headlong Flight and I hear music that sounds like 5 different jams glued together with some vocals slapped on at the very end. It just doesnt sound like a rock solid song to me. It's kind of a mess. I dont get what they're doing now. Im not the kind of fan where if Geddy just rips a little im ready to say its the best theyve been in a long time. Without strong melodies the song means nothing to me.

those examples you provided, and i'm not a mars volta basher, are absolutely brutal to listen to. i listened to the first one and than every other one and the vocals sound forced in certain areas and like they were shoehorned in there. maybe that's the style of music they make? confused13.gif

I love it. Geddys voice sounds beautiful, I love the solos, love the crisp, almost guitar-like sound of the bass, and the lyrics. I almost wonder if they're starting to say goodbye in these lyrics, but then again, Time Stand Still was a look back at "old friends getting older", and that was years ago. Similarly, The Fountain of Lamneth is an astute look at life and death that it's hard to believe twenty-year-olds wrote, so maybe I'm reading too much into what they might be saying.

QUOTE (Thorne @ Apr 19 2012, 04:30 AM)
First listen - "Interesting! I like this. Not what I was expecting, but still good."

Second listen - "Ooh. I really like this. Let's put the volume up a few notches."

Third listen - I found myself playing flailing air drums to a new Rush track for the first time in years. 1022.gif

Wow, that's what happened to me at work today biggrin.gif