OH MY GOD!

GangsterOnBoats

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Apr 19 2012, 04:44 PM)
QUOTE (Weatherman2112 @ Apr 19 2012, 05:30 PM)
First post in a long time.....

Headlong Flight?  Eh.....it's ok I guess. Yep, it's heavy. And while that's all exciting, and the fact that more new music is coming is also exciting, to me "heavy" has not been what I have loved about Rush over the years. It's cleanliness. I always loved how amazingly well they play their instruments and how clean, crisp and tight they sounded as a 3 piece band on their records and live.

Now, for some reason it's all about sounding "heavy". Almost like proggy grunge. It's good. I like it. But I must say, I like Caravan more. If the rest of CA sounds like Headlong Flight, that's fine. I'll like it and see them live like I always do. But I sure do miss the "cleaner" sound that showed off their amazing playing. Alex?  Alex?  shhhhh  wink.gif

??? Do you want HYF part deaux? fing.gif

HOLD YOUR FIRE!

keep it burning bright

hold the flame till the dream ignites

a spirit with a vision is a dream

with a MISSION!

QUOTE (TheAccountant @ Apr 19 2012, 04:49 PM)
QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Apr 18 2012, 10:35 PM)
QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Apr 18 2012, 10:28 PM)
anyone have the link to the cd quality version?

Best sounding one I've heard yet right here

Thanks for posting - I agree.

I would listen to the official one, it probably is better quality

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Apr 19 2012, 04:44 PM)
QUOTE (Weatherman2112 @ Apr 19 2012, 05:30 PM)

Headlong Flight?  Eh.....it's ok I guess. Yep, it's heavy. And while that's all exciting, and the fact that more new music is coming is also exciting, to me "heavy" has not been what I have loved about Rush over the years. It's cleanliness. I always loved how amazingly well they play their instruments and how clean, crisp and tight they sounded as a 3 piece band on their records and live.

Now, for some reason it's all about sounding "heavy". Almost like proggy grunge. It's good. I like it. But I must say, I like Caravan more. If the rest of CA sounds like Headlong Flight, that's fine. I'll like it and see them live like I always do. But I sure do miss the "cleaner" sound that showed off their amazing playing. Alex?  Alex?  shhhhh  wink.gif

??? Do you want HYF part deaux? fing.gif

While I must say I really loved HYF and the synth stuff, no. I'm more of a Hem, AFTK, PeW, MP, Signals guy. That's the kind of "clean" sound I was referring to.

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Apr 18 2012, 10:16 PM)
QUOTE (TheAccountant @ Apr 18 2012, 10:06 PM)
2nd reaction:

Dam - the bass and drums are just tremendous!!

The melody is not that great however.

Like it but it could have been better.  That being said, Rush songs always take a long time to settle in with me.  Give me 15 years of listening to it and I will have a better feel.

Let me fire it up once more then call it a day so I can work tomorrow.

You don't have 15 years just about 15 weeks!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

You mean I got 15 weeks to live? Did not know you was my doctor.

It can take me a long time to really dig in and absorb some of Rush's music. HYF was the 1st Rush album I ever bought and 25 years latter every so often I will be like "wow, I never picked up on that" or "Wow thats an interesting line" or "Wow, that's cool".

Rush is not fast food for me. I can take a long time to really get enjoy their work and have it click. But once it does it does not get pushed to the side by anything (except other Rush).

Listened to it twice more this afternoon. 3rd reaction is basically this is going to be one heavy album. Need to listen to it more.

Can't wait for the album to come out.

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Apr 19 2012, 04:40 PM)
Maybe HF was not supposed to be highly melodic, but instead exciting, intense, and grooving. You cant expect everything in one Rush song. Now, if the rest of the album proves to be highly unmelodic, then we have an issue. Have a feeling Garden and Wish them well will satisfy you melody seekers out there.

We already know there will be at least Some melodic type stuff on here, Remember the Lifeson interview where he said later in the writing process some stuff more on the melodic side came into play. Plus with the fact of additional strings that points to more melodic as well.

I do like the song.... particularly the second half. I do hear the influences of their younger selves there.

But I don't like the mix at all. Brickwalled to the nines and only marginally better than VT was. By the end of the tune, I don't want to listen to it again without a break.

QUOTE (analog guy @ Apr 19 2012, 05:29 PM)
I do like the song.... particularly the second half. I do hear the influences of their younger selves there.

But I don't like the mix at all. Brickwalled to the nines and only marginally better than VT was. By the end of the tune, I don't want to listen to it again without a break.

blame nick i guess. unsure.gif

Brickwalled to the nines and only marginally better than VT was. By the end of the tune, I don't want to listen to it again without a break.

Brickwalled seems to be the in phrase of the moment for audio maniacs...

wink.gif

Even without the CD, I feel that this streaming version is already cleaner than VT CD. Yes it is heavy with walls of sound, but does not sound sloppy in terms of arrangements like a lot of stuff on VT. There is a tightness and up tempo with more staccato chords, and some breathing spaces. A lot more crunchy than VT. Felt the same too with Caravan nd BU....more spacious, tighter, cleaner, better separation and not overly layered like SA. Hoping the final product will be even better sounding than the single versions released 2 years ago.

The rhythm in the verses by the way reminds me of the up tempo feel of Analogue Kid.

QUOTE (Weatherman2112 @ Apr 19 2012, 01:30 PM)

Headlong Flight? Eh.....it's ok I guess. Yep, it's heavy. And while that's all exciting, and the fact that more new music is coming is also exciting, to me "heavy" has not been what I have loved about Rush over the years. It's cleanliness. I always loved how amazingly well they play their instruments and how clean, crisp and tight they sounded as a 3 piece band on their records and live.

Now, for some reason it's all about sounding "heavy". Almost like proggy grunge. It's good. I like it. But I must say, I like Caravan more. If the rest of CA sounds like Headlong Flight, that's fine. I'll like it and see them live like I always do. But I sure do miss the "cleaner" sound that showed off their amazing playing. Alex? Alex? shhhhh wink.gif

I agree

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 19 2012, 05:31 PM)

I dont think Rush and Nick would allow another VT sound debacle. Yes the sound is heavy and full, but to my ears, a LOT less muddy and much crisper than anything on VT. The CD will sound even better.

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Apr 19 2012, 05:40 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 19 2012, 05:31 PM)

I dont think Rush and Nick would allow another VT sound debacle. Yes the sound is heavy and full, but to my ears, a LOT less muddy and much crisper than anything on VT. The CD will sound even better.

yea i don't have a problem with the sound but was just saying if someone does, blame nick. trink38.gif

I actually prefer the 5:05 radio edit. I feel that the 7:20 version is just stretched out a little too long. I find the spoken section a little bit pointless, as it doesn't add anything new the story - but perhaps its out of context without the rest of the songs before it.

And for those commenting on the sound - The distortion sounds more like an encoding issue (MP3 encoders can actually clip the signal if you don't leave enough headroom) than a general mix issue. RS Mag will probably have encoded the song they were provided further to increase streaming.

These days with ProTools and the likes, it is pretty hard to record or mix a session, whilst inducing clipping and not know about it. There are so many indicators in all of your plugins that instantly light up when 0.0dBFS (Point of Clipping) has been exceeded.

Edited by Sir Lerxst

i love the song.

i do think its heavy, but after you listen several times your ears adjust to the nuances..and it becomes more clear what they are trying to convey.

the bass sounds retro..i wish he had the taste for his Rick, cuz this is a good song for it...but the Fender sounds cool too...

gtr has some references to bastille, anthem, VT, SnA..wahwah lead is nice FbyN flavoring...heavy, foofighterish(BURNING BRIDGES!!)...the chorus gtr is the bomb.

Drums are fun...not my fav part of the song yet..

verses are velocity driven, i do agree the singing is that TforE style of montone wail...

choruses are AWESOME. i totally disagree that there is no melody at all...the chorus has a fanastic melody..its funny that everyone describes the song as EPIC, cuz thats what the chorus reminds me of..Faith No More's EPIC!! the plodding, machine-like, jules verne feeling melody stuck with me all day today...i love it.

i am so excited that this is a concept album, and the steampunk world is perfect to mold a full scope of images and scenes...

cannot wait...

peace.

QUOTE (Sir Lerxst @ Apr 19 2012, 05:48 PM)
I actually prefer the 5:05 radio edit. I feel that the 7:20 version is just stretched out a little too long. I find the spoken section a little bit pointless, as it doesn't add anything new to the story - but perhaps its out of context without the rest of the songs before it.

goodpost.gif I haven't heard the edited version yet, but I totally agree with ya. Several parts could be cut with no bad side effects. The spoken section and the redundant verses at the end could be cut.

Im not sure that heavy is the right word. Metallica sounds heavy to me, their latest album. They use a lot of minor and dissonant chords, but Rush never did that much. They did on Cygnus X-1, which really makes the end of that sound heavy. They dont have much that sounds as heavy and relentless as that does, and a big reason why is the minor chords they use in that song.

Now they mostly stick to major chords, but play them with a harder edge, more driving drums that ride on the cymbals, like you hear at the beginning of BU2B, but I wouldnt personally call that heavy.

Similar to VT they're just really into this wall of sound feel now, so it makes them sound completely different than they did on their well known albums.

Edited by trenken