OH MY GOD!

GangsterOnBoats

Honestly, it's great new Rush to my ears, but probably not something I'll be singeling out of the catalog as time goes one. Far Cry and Caravan are songs I specifically put on to listen to- this one will probably be mixed in win all of the rest.

So great song, but average as far as Rush goes for me.

Really, really excited to have it and will download it off iTunes as soon as it is available.

I love how heavy it is. I love the intro. I love Geddy's bass. I love

how hard Neil is playing. Like how raw Alex sounds. Vocals sound

quite good. Lots of energy and pretty good high notes.

Not much of a memorable melody. Guitar work isn't quite

that interested. Song is pretty repetitive. Could have done

it in 4-5 minutes. Bridge to the solo is a bit weird and random,

and I lose the feel of the song during the weird talking part.

I'm excited how raw and heavy it sounds, but overall wish they

improved the song writing. I like the intention though.

And Geddy is just rippen on bass!

So, I like it, but feel it could have been better. Not quite in the "epic"

category.

Jim

Had not been on the computer all day (sick in bed sleeping) and just got the thing fired up and found this. First reactions:

1. 34 pages of comments on a thread that was started today? Holy smokes what the heck is this?

2. Neil beating the stuffing out of the drums? Check. Geddy with some awesome bass playing? Check. Ales going wild on guitar? Check. Lyrics that leave me scratching my head and thinking? Check. Geddy hitting all kinds of notes? Check.

3. Dam, the thing is metal. Heavy metal. Fast and some tremendous playing. Relentless.

Have listened to it 3 times now and it is growing on me which most Rush songs (esp. good ones) will do. Like it. Have a feeling I will be doing a lot more listing to it.

Somebody made the comment about Geddy's voice being shot. I have expressed concerns about that in the past (just compare Rush in Rio to the S & A DVD or the Time Machine Tour DVD - big difference) and been hammered. That being said, his voice sound darn good to me here, but can he do it live? With mixing and multiple takes you get something in the studio which you can't always get live - esp. if somebody's voice is going. Worries me a bit but a plan on being at multiple show to find out.

Overall reaction - heavy Rush metal. Like it. Need to listen to it some more. Cant wait for the album to come out!! common001.gif

2nd reaction:

Dam - the bass and drums are just tremendous!!

The melody is not that great however.

Like it but it could have been better. That being said, Rush songs always take a long time to settle in with me. Give me 15 years of listening to it and I will have a better feel.

Let me fire it up once more then call it a day so I can work tomorrow.

Yeah, if you want the CD-quality version, just go to Twitter and search "Headlong Flight download", and it's the first tweet, that's in some foreign language. tongue.gif

Gotta love them foreign people's leaks.

(That didn't sound right, but oh well.)

QUOTE (TheAccountant @ Apr 18 2012, 10:06 PM)
2nd reaction:

Dam - the bass and drums are just tremendous!!

The melody is not that great however.

Like it but it could have been better. That being said, Rush songs always take a long time to settle in with me. Give me 15 years of listening to it and I will have a better feel.

Let me fire it up once more then call it a day so I can work tomorrow.

You don't have 15 years just about 15 weeks!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

I can't stop listening to this song. It's just so epic!

I detect symbolism and a theme through it much like with caravan and BU2B. Lots of nods to their previous work as well. I wonder what the entire story will be once the whole project is revealed.

I can't wait to hear the whole album!!!

I hope iTunes has it for sale tomorrow.

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

I finally had a chance to kick back, relax and give HF a second and third listen.

I think I like it...I like it a lot. 37 years after Fly By Night and they sound as full of energy, driven and vibrant as ever. Amazing!!

Heavy Metal 2.gif 1022.gif cool10.gif

!!!Warning!!!

"Headlong Flight" will make you Speed! I popped it into my car's cd player and hit the highway, within seconds I was weaving through traffic at 90 and had to pull back on the gas! This songs really makes you want to take off!!!!!

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Apr 18 2012, 10:20 PM)
!!!Warning!!!

"Headlong Flight" will make you Speed! I poped it into my cd player in my car and hit the highway, within seconds I was hitting 90 and had to pull back on the gas! This songs really makes you want to take off!!!!!

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

Hahah! I know what you mean! I'll be adding "Headlong Flight" to my Twisted Metal playlist now. 653.gif

QUOTE (Nate1647 @ Apr 18 2012, 09:34 PM)
WOW

I'm not going to address the haters because they dont' even deserve this band lol.

Speaking of the "some days were dark" section, does that just sound like f*ckin rush or what? I cannot wait for this album!

goodpost.gif

&

yes.gif

11:25, I finally got back from work. Had to listen. Holy Crap! This song rocks! Loving every minute!

Well, That's 2.gif for you.

Whoever made the comment about the Foo Fighters "Bridgrs Are Burning" is correct- it almost sounds ripped off except they wrote the music to this a year ago and that album wasn't out yet.

Oh, and the Rush version is better, obv smile.gif

I'm blown away. Studio album lead-off singles since I became a fan as a kid:

• 1987 Time Stand Still: Meh. Where's the jamming? 3 stars.
  • 1989 Show Don't Tell: The song starts off well with an exciting and energetic riff, but the horrible choruses and cheesy keyboards made me cringe. Was initially 3.5 stars, but dropped over time to 2.5 stars.
  • 1991 Dreamline: Blew me away the first time I heard it. The "We Are Young" chorus is a bit annoying, but it's bearable. I remember recording it from FM radio and copying it to both sides of a tape so I could listen to it over and over (what we had to resort to before the world-wide-web, MP3s, and streaming). 4 stars.
  • 1993 Stick it Out: Incredible riff, but more cringe inducing choruses and the way Geddy yelps "swallow your tongue" makes me want to shoot myself. 2.5 stars.
  • 1996 Test for Echo: Fantastic music. Horrible lyrics ("tough talking hood boys"... really?) and awkward singing ("Test. For. Echo."). 2.5 stars.
  • 2002 One Little Victory: Pretty good comeback, but the backing vocals and pseudo-yodeling detracted from it. 3 stars.
  • 2007 Far Cry: Awesome. Still some *slightly* cheesy singing and keys. Until today, it was the best lead-off single since I became a fan. 4 stars.
  • 2010 Caravan: Not sure I should count this, but anyway it was edgier than they'd been in a long time. Pretty cool riff, but not quite as much hook as Far Cry and overall seemed like a bit of a mess (BU2B is better). 3.5 stars.
  • 2012 Headlong Flight: Holy Crap! 3 parts Rush + 1 part Foo Fighters = Pure Awesome. No crappy, awkward, cheesy singing or lyrics, lots of hook, great bass groove, very catchy. This is hands down the best lead-off single since I got into Rush as a kid. 4.5 (possibly 5) stars.

On a side note, parts of the Headlong Flight (listen to 4:00 and 4:40) sound very similar to Foo Fighters recent song "Bridge Burning" (which was recorded in 2010 and released in 2011, but interestingly enough that's one of the Foo Fighters album that wasn't done with Nick Raskulinecz).

Gets better with every listen! The vocal melodies are more apparent to me now that my brain has had some time to digest the whole thing.

The layering is pared down from recent works and I'm noticing a distinct reduction in Geddy Choir, hooray!

I love the change in feel to the Who-like bombast in the "I stoke the fires..." parts.

The chaotic spoken word part segueing to the massive drum roll segueing to the crunchy bass and wah solo part is classic.

QUOTE (jdove @ Apr 18 2012, 09:56 PM)
I love how heavy it is. I love the intro. I love Geddy's bass. I love
how hard Neil is playing. Like how raw Alex sounds. Vocals sound
quite good. Lots of energy and pretty good high notes.

Not much of a memorable melody. Guitar work isn't quite
that interested. Song is pretty repetitive. Could have done
it in 4-5 minutes. Bridge to the solo is a bit weird and random,
and I lose the feel of the song during the weird talking part.

I'm excited how raw and heavy it sounds, but overall wish they
improved the song writing. I like the intention though.
And Geddy is just rippen on bass!

So, I like it, but feel it could have been better. Not quite in the "epic"
category.

Jim

I agree with most of this. The song is more chord bashing than melody. Huge amount of energy and passion. So far, all three songs are like this.

I'm gonna let it grow one, just like I do with them all. So far, so good...... smile.gif