OH MY GOD!

GangsterOnBoats

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 18 2012, 01:54 PM)
QUOTE (GUP1771 @ Apr 18 2012, 01:49 PM)

I will agree that the vocals aren't the greatest. Not because Geddy can't sing (In fact, he is hitting pretty high notes, and that's awesome to hear, and it's not like he doesn't know how to arrange vocal parts.) It's rather because of how the song was arranged musically and wasn't really met for vocals. Remember, this was arranged originally as an instrumental, so it's understandable that the vocals don't fit with the musical part of the song as well. I think people need to take a step back and understand this fact instead of throwing out, 'Geddy can't arrange vocal parts anymore' yadda yadda. We still have 9 other songs we've yet to hear. I think after a couple more listens, how the vocals are arranged will grow on me.

Yeah I didnt actually mean his singing itself was particularly bad, he's older, the vocals are as good as can be expected, I was talking about the vocal melodies that are dull.

i can see how they might be dull to some but to me the vocals match the speed of the music. they are kicking serious butt on this track and not playing a folk tune.

QUOTE (GUP1771 @ Apr 18 2012, 02:49 PM)
Very interesting song. I love the playing and Alex's solo is definitely metalish. It's nice hearing a solo like this from him again, although I've enjoyed his experimental soloing that has spanned since about GUP, maybe PoW and onward.

Terrific all-round feedback on the track, I agree entirely on all the strong aspects of it and also about the vocal arrangements.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 18 2012, 11:56 AM)
QUOTE (Lerxster @ Apr 18 2012, 01:51 PM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Apr 18 2012, 01:47 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 18 2012, 11:41 AM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Apr 18 2012, 01:38 PM)
QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Apr 18 2012, 11:13 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 18 2012, 12:53 PM)

Songs that arent catchy dont get a lot of radio play. Most people arent impressed by busy playing unless they're musicians. The average listener likes songs that sound good to them and great melodies are what does that.

That was my complain about this song. The vocals are so forgettable.

Not really. This post, however, is entirely forgettable.

careful, you're not allowed to criticize someone that's being critical.

See here's the difference, and 1001001 doesnt get it either because he said the same thing earlier.

I criticized a song, you know, what critics do. He criticized ME. I sure hope you understand the difference. I was sharing an opinion on a song, someone else then shared their opinion on me. Little childish, no?

You're actually beating us over the head with your opinion. How many different ways do you have to explain you think it's shit? We get it.

Yeah, STFU already! Too much of you in this thread. Time to listen to this modern classic a couple dozen more times. smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

And what about those that have said 5 times now how much they like it? That's ok right? Buncha hypocrites on this site.

You better jump on their ass too and tell them to calm down just like you are with me.

I shall no longer give you the attention you seek.

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Apr 18 2012, 02:54 PM)
Listening to it for the first time.

I have goosebumps.

I wish I had a time machine so I could go back a few hours and listen to it for the first time all over again!

trink39.gif

We spoiled all the "surprises" we expected for tomorrow. How long before the remorse kicks in? laugh.gif

I've listened about 10 times now. Personally, I love the song. It's heavy, it's longer, and it has several different parts to it. Plus, I hear bits and pieces of other albums in this song. There's definitely a lot of S&A feel to it (like bits of TMMB and harmonies like Good News First), plus I hear a little Natural Science in there too.

I think it's a killer track. Nice to hear the boys rockin' it out even as they near 60!

AWESOME!!!

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Apr 18 2012, 11:58 AM)
QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Apr 18 2012, 02:54 PM)
Listening to it for the first time.

I have goosebumps.

I wish I had a time machine so I could go back a few hours and listen to it for the first time all over again!

trink39.gif

We spoiled all the "surprises" we expected for tomorrow. How long before the remorse kicks in? laugh.gif

I've only listened to it 4 times and I seriously can't understand those complaining it's not catchy. It's totally stuck in my head smile.gif

1022.gif

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Apr 18 2012, 02:58 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 18 2012, 11:56 AM)
QUOTE (Lerxster @ Apr 18 2012, 01:51 PM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Apr 18 2012, 01:47 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 18 2012, 11:41 AM)

Songs that arent catchy dont get a lot of radio play. Most people arent impressed by busy playing unless they're musicians. The average listener likes songs that sound good to them and great melodies are what does that.

See here's the difference, and 1001001 doesnt get it either because he said the same thing earlier.

I criticized a song, you know, what critics do. He criticized ME. I sure hope you understand the difference. I was sharing an opinion on a song, someone else then shared their opinion on me. Little childish, no?

You're actually beating us over the head with your opinion. How many different ways do you have to explain you think it's shit? We get it.

Yeah, STFU already! Too much of you in this thread. Time to listen to this modern classic a couple dozen more times. smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

And what about those that have said 5 times now how much they like it? That's ok right? Buncha hypocrites on this site.

You better jump on their ass too and tell them to calm down just like you are with me.

I shall no longer give you the attention you seek.

to the both of you... facepalm.gif

Holy shit you people better not be fukking with me!!!

I just got home from a long crappy night shift and wow! What a nice thing to come home to!!

I'm going to go to the beginning of this thread and read ALL your comments, then I'm gonna roll up some herb and find my headphones... and click. That. LINK!!

I read someone's comment on here yesterday how new Rush should be savored because it happens so rarely.... I tend to agree biggrin.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 18 2012, 02:41 PM)

Don't put words in my mouth, trenken. I never said that -- and THAT sort of thing is why you get so much flak on this board. Here's the actual exchange from earlier:

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 18 2012, 02:03 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 18 2012, 01:57 PM)
QUOTE (Hemispheric Waves @ Apr 18 2012, 12:55 PM)
As expected, I didn't get off the first page before the complaints started rolling in.

Opinions. Deal with it or turn your computer off. You dont live in a world where everyone has to like the same shit. Rush fans are hilariously biased and delusional.

And he was just expressing HIS opinion about the posts in this thread. See how this message board stuff works? wink.gif

Pretty evenhanded there, wasn't I? At least I thought so -- it was certainly my intent. Hemispheric Waves wasn't even talking to you, and yet you took it personally and got all defensive with him.

Don't put words in my mouth.

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Apr 18 2012, 02:03 PM)
Holy shit you people better not be fukking with me!!!

I just got home from a long crappy night shift and wow! What a nice thing to come home to!!

I'm going to go to the beginning of this thread and read ALL your comments, then I'm gonna roll up some herb and find my headphones... and click. That. LINK!!

I read someone's comment on here yesterday how new Rush should be savored because it happens so rarely.... I tend to agree biggrin.gif

bc bud cool10.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 18 2012, 03:01 PM)
Shoot me.

To further my time machine fantasy... if I had a time machine I would realize that you are an attention staved whiny little bitch who somehow feels persecuted on this thread for going ON and ON about your dislike of this song and I never would have engaged you in 'conversation' to begin with.

Better late than never! *disengage troll sequence activated*

Have a nice life!

bekloppt.gif

OMFG!!!!! I just heard it! My hands are shaking, I don't whether to laugh or cry!

AWESOME SONG!!!!

wub.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

Some of these posts makes me ponder the philisophical delema of our day: At what point does someone transition from exercising their right to post an opinion, to being a douchebag, and then finally a troll?

Seriously, I can't frikkn stand Adele. But if there is a thread with Adele fans reveling in their Adele-love, I don't feel compelled to hang out to tell them my opinion over and over and over.

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Apr 18 2012, 03:03 PM)

Buckle up and make sure you are wearing underpants!!!!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 18 2012, 03:05 PM)
this would be a great tune to open the show with.

I think so too, and as I said unless they play this inline with the entire Clockwork Angels suite, then I wouldn't be surprised if they unleash it right off the bat!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Strangiato @ Apr 18 2012, 11:50 AM)
Anyone want to fill in the missing lyrics for me? Here is what I have so far.

All the journeys
Of this great adventure
This didn't always feel that way

I wouldn't trade them
Because I made them
The best I could and that's enough to say

Some days were dark
I wish that I could live it all again
Some nights were bright

All the highlights
Of that headlong flight
Holding on with all our might

To where I found that place

I'll stoke the fire on the big steel wheels
Steer the airship right across the stars
I learned to fight, I learned to love, and learned to feel
Oh I wish that i could live it all again

All the treausures
The gold and glory
It didn't always feel that way

I don't regret it
I'll never forget it
I wouldn't trade tomorrow for today

Some days were dark
Some nights were bright

I'll stoke the fire of the big steel wheels
Oh I wish that I could live it all again

*garbled voice* The days were dark
*garbled voice* And the nights were bright
*garbled voice* Hey man, I would never trade tomorrow for today
*garbled voice* Yeah

All the highlights
Of that headlong flight
Holding on with all our might

Some days were dark
Some nights were bright

Oh i wish that I could live it all again

Oh I wish that I could

Special thanks to Snaked, rushgoober, eezyrider, danielmclark, and http://cygnus-x1.net for helping out!

Great stuff. My only edit is the last chorus:

I learned to fight, I learned to love, and learned to STEAL

Oh I wish that I could

QUOTE (LyndseyG @ Apr 18 2012, 03:07 PM)
OMFG!!!!! I just heard it! My hands are shaking, I don't whether to laugh or cry!

AWESOME SONG!!!!

wub.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

High five! I was shaking too when i first listened, was very unsuccessful trying to text a few friends to tell them the news!

laugh.gif