Need Help with Great New Music! Can't Find Any!

rushgoober

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Apr 18 2012, 07:47 AM)
My buddy gave me this album called Electric Forest by a newer band called Gekko Projekt. Pretty cool, jazzy prog. Good solos and almost all instrumental. I dig it.

Not bad. The keyboards kind of a slick modern feel to them that I'm not loving, and the same for the vocals, but still it's pretty good. Not something I think I'd actively pursue, but very nice nonetheless. trink39.gif

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pick up the last three Candlebox records that most people did not hear.

Happy Pills - 1999

Into the Sun - 2009

Love Songs & Other Musings (just released 2 weeks ago)

They are without a doubt one of the most overlooked kick ass, great playing, insane live rock bands in the world right now.

My close friend and I have been able to forge a freindship with Kevin Martin and Peter Klett over the last 2 years. They are truly gentleman, great guys, and great musicians.

Seriously.....check out Candlebox's latest two CD's and Happy Pills which came out way back in 99 but is an amazing record as well. You will not believe this is the same band that recorded their smash debut which sold I believe over 5 million copies. I saw them open for Rush back on the tour in 92/93 and have been a fan ever since. They went through a long hiatus between 2000-2008 then reformed and have been killing it since with 2 records in the last 3 years. I hope they keep it going.

Hung out with and saw them last night open their tour for the new record. Go see them if they come to your town.

You won't regret it. They are great live.

No they are not prog...but they are Led Zep type of rock. Lot's of soul, and melody and amazing guitars and vocals.

Edited by Todem

QUOTE (Todem @ Apr 20 2012, 11:12 AM)

Happy Pills - 1999
Into the Sun - 2009

They are without a doubt one of the most overlooked kick ass, great playing, insane live rock bands in the world right now.

My close friend and I have been able to forge a freindship with Kevin Martin and Peter Klett over the last 2 years. They are truly gentleman, great guys, and great musicians.

Seriously.....check out Candlebox's latest two CD's and Happy Pills which came out way back in 99 but is an amazing record as well. You will not believe this is the same band that recorded their smash debut which sold I believe over 5 million copies. I saw them open for Rush back on the tour in 92/93 and have been a fan ever since. They went through a long hiatus between 2000-2008 then reformed and have been killing it since with 2 records in the last 3 years. I hope they keep it going.

Hung out with and saw them last night open their tour for the new record. Go see them if they come to your town.

No they are not prog...but they are Led Zep type of rock. Lot's of soul, and melody and amazing guitars and vocals.

Please give me some youtube links for fave songs.

And as for the rest of the suggestions people made, I'll check them out and respond in this thread over time - thanks, everyone! trink39.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 20 2012, 05:02 PM)
QUOTE (Todem @ Apr 20 2012, 11:12 AM)

Happy Pills - 1999
Into the Sun - 2009

Seriously.....check out Candlebox's latest two CD's and Happy Pills which came out way back in 99 but is an amazing record as well. You will not believe this is the same band that recorded their smash debut which sold I believe over 5 million copies. I saw them open for Rush back on the  tour in 92/93 and have been a fan ever since. They went through a long hiatus between 2000-2008 then reformed and have been killing it since with 2 records in the last 3 years. I hope they keep it going.

Please give me some youtube links for fave songs.

And as for the rest of the suggestions people made, I'll check them out and respond in this thread over time - thanks, everyone! trink39.gif

Check out more Pain of Salvation if possible, I'm sure you'll enjoy that smile.gif

Let me know what else you think of my many other suggestions.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 21 2012, 01:23 AM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Apr 20 2012, 08:59 PM)
Here's Jordrok by Anglagard...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngLxOB-ZNuw

You can read all about them on ProgArchives smile.gif

I already own and love both Anglagard albums - I've had those for many years. yes.gif 1022.gif

Oops laugh.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Apr 21 2012, 06:06 AM)

I already own and love both Anglagard albums - I've had those for many years. yes.gif 1022.gif

Oops laugh.gif

np at all - i'd love to find more modern day prog that matches the quality of anglagard! another great more modern day band is solaris - the martian chronicles and nostradamus are both excellent discs!

fear not other people who've responded - i'll get around to checking out more of the groups suggested in this thread - it's much appreciated! trink39.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 21 2012, 10:36 AM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Apr 21 2012, 06:06 AM)

Oops laugh.gif

np at all - i'd love to find more modern day prog that matches the quality of anglagard! another great more modern day band is solaris - the martian chronicles and nostradamus are both excellent discs!

fear not other people who've responded - i'll get around to checking out more of the groups suggested in this thread - it's much appreciated! trink39.gif

Thanks laugh.gif

Oh my God, thank you EVERYONE who recommended Wobbler! I've sampled some songs from all 3 albums so far and I LOVE them! I had a friend who used to really talk up Wobbler, but I never thought based on their descriptions that they were quite as prog as they are. I'll definitely be getting all their albums! Damn am I glad I started this thread! trink39.gif biggrin.gif Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 22 2012, 09:56 PM)
Oh my God, thank you EVERYONE who recommended Wobbler! I've sampled some songs from all 3 albums so far and I LOVE them! I had a friend who used to really talk up Wobbler, but I never thought based on their descriptions that they were quite as prog as they are. I'll definitely be getting all their albums! Damn am I glad I started this thread! trink39.gif biggrin.gif

You fool, there's a lot more where that came from, and who knows, maybe ONE day, you will like the taste of METAL and starting listening to technical jazz industrial progressive extreme metal! 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 22 2012, 07:56 PM)
Oh my God, thank you EVERYONE who recommended Wobbler! I've sampled some songs from all 3 albums so far and I LOVE them! I had a friend who used to really talk up Wobbler, but I never thought based on their descriptions that they were quite as prog as they are. I'll definitely be getting all their albums! Damn am I glad I started this thread! trink39.gif biggrin.gif

Wow, I've gotten through 2 1/2 of their albums so far, and so far it's been uniformly excellent! This group MAY be as good as Anglagard, and that's high praise indeed! trink39.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Apr 24 2012, 07:27 AM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Apr 23 2012, 11:10 AM)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD5EB9Xt2XM

beardfish is a lot of fun and simply amazing, kinda king crimson meets frank zappa.

That was awesome! 1022.gif

Helle yeah, i think Goober just didn't haar the right beardfish album 1022.gif

Hey, i've listened to it a thousand times by now, but the new Anathema album is marvelous, I think Goober would like it. Some of the ambient beautiful stuff you like (names escape me, but I've enjoyed some samples you've provided in the past kinda like hosianna mantra) is present on this album. Check out Untouchable part 1 and 2, featuring beautiful female vocals on the second.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Apr 18 2012, 07:49 AM)
http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=72985

Some amazing jazz fusion.

If you like that then try Primus wub.gif

i listened to the impact fuze stuff, and it's quite good, great even. that said, i don't see myself listening to this very often. something about the guitar sound - it's this particular modern sounding jazzy slick guitar sound that i don't really dig so much (this was even more noticeable on the 2nd song from their album - punisher)- i much prefer the bass and the drums - and i could have done without the singing, though that wasn't bad.

an obviously very talented band that i wouldn't mind seeing live, and i enjoyed the music, but not loving it to death...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 24 2012, 01:16 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Apr 18 2012, 07:50 AM)
You might also like recent Anathema
Try Thin Air, Universal, Everything, and The Beginning and the End

Listened to the first two songs mentioned - liked it a lot, didn't love it.

The new album is great too, and you of all people know this stuff takes repeated listens. That said, maybe it'll never completely click, but it can't hurt to check it out, so thanks for that trink39.gif

By the way, if you like that new Opeth album, I recommend Damnation as it is also growless.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 18 2012, 07:57 AM)
They are not new and you might have heard them Altura . Great prog-metalish band that are no longer together . The album came out well over 10 years ago

sorry, wasn't a big fan of what i heard - guitar and ESPECIALLY keyboards didn't do it for me - too modern and slick sounding. the vocals were ok, but nothing stellar - the melodies didn't really do it for me - sounds kind of like lite metal. sorry, man! unsure.gif

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Apr 18 2012, 08:05 AM)
A Perfect Circle is a less metal more ambient/poppy version of Tool, try that. Maybe try This Town Needs Guns and Tera Melos, delicious math rock there, just absolutely crazy stuff. You MAY like some Rishloo stuff. They sound like A Perfect Circle with a dash of Mars Volta but the vocals are not high-pitched, they're more like A Perfect Circle's vocals. Try their song Keyhole in the Sky or Diamond Eyes.

Can you give me some youtube links?

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Apr 18 2012, 08:08 AM)
Depending on the PT stuff you like, you might absolutely love No-Man. Try their beautiful song Things I Want to Tell You. You might also like Sigur Ros, absolutely beautiful post-rock.

Okay, my last recommendation! tongue.gif

The latest Opeth album. Pure retro prog, not a single growl or hell even metal moment.

Again, please provide youtube links...

Hey brotha, not sure if these are "Retro" enough wink.gif might be a little more metal, but some recent tunes I've been digging for awhile:

Blackfield - another project by PT's Steven Wilson

O.S.I. - Jim Matheos (Fate's Warning); Kevin Moore, Mike Portnoy (ex-Dream Theater); Sean Malone (Cynic/Gordian Knot)

O.S.I. - "The New Math (What He Said)"

O.S.I. - "O.S.I."

O.S.I. - "Free"

Gordian Knot - Project by Sean Malone whose lineup has at times included Steve Hackett, Bill Bruford, John Myung, and others.

As stated previously in the thread, Opeth's newest album is very old school, and trippy music video to boot! common001.gif

Another previously mentioned artist, but no linky. Great song.

The Yellow Moon Band - found these guys back in the good ol days of the Interdimensional Vortex. From what I know this is their only album, but its some great sounds.

I'll keep an ear out.... trink39.gif

Edited by progrush2112