Need Help with Great New Music! Can't Find Any!

rushgoober

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Apr 18 2012, 10:50 AM)
Maybe Gazpacho? Check out the tracks Black Lily and Mary Celeste from their new album March of Ghosts. They're not retro but you may like them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZPA-3v-Cj4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEkrPieYinA...4145F34C2130FA3

Also try Moon Safari. They're pretty upbeat, kind of like Yes meets The Beach Boys. Their album A Doorway To The Summer is pretty good.

And I totally agree with Wobbler. They're awesome!

Gazpacho were actually quite nice - the first song I liked better than the second - I don't think I'd go out of my way to listen to them, but I liked it!

I looked up Moon Safari and put on the track A Sun of Your Own from that album - it started off VERY promising with some nice tasty mellow prog, but then the lyrics came in - great singer, but the lyrics were pretty bad IMHO - sounds like they're trying to be Styx or REO Speedwagon or something - not my thing. Too bad, as the music is very nice.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 18 2012, 09:40 AM)
First off, let me state that I'm in love with the band Astra. They make music in the present that is truly retro; not only something that sounds like it could have been recorded in the 70's, but is actually up to the quality of 70's classic prog and space rock. I didn't think that was possible.

I've been searching through progarchives, looking for music from the past 20 years that is rated VERY highly, like 4.20 or higher, and I gotta say that most of it does nothing or very little for me - it's either too metal or too derivative or the singing and/or lyrics suck or it's just too modern somehow. Much of the highly rated space rock stuff just sounds like mindless atmospheric guitar wankery without enough substance to hold it together - like music that probably works if you're stoned out of your mind, but otherwise, not so much.

Sometimes it's just a matter of making a 70 minute album - even in the 60's and 70's a double album was almost impossible to pull off and maintain consistency - just because that length is standard now didn't change that fact.

I'm trying to find great music from the past 10-20 years, but am having a hell of a time doing it. I do like or love some Porcupine Tree tracks, some Dream Theater tracks, some Radiohead tracks and other assorted odds and ends here and there, but outside of Astra haven't found a group that I thought was "IT," that truly had a sound I loved that made great albums all the way through that I love listening to as much as the vintage stuff.

Can anyone help me out here with some best of the best suggestions that fit my criteria? Maybe I should just give up the ghost? I'm also open to albums that transcend this time period from other genres...

I was thinking that you might consider a different musical genre? I was on your same quest years ago and I eventually moved into the pure Ambient genre as an alternative and I am glad I did!

QUOTE (CruisingInPrimetime @ Apr 18 2012, 10:55 AM)
Try these: Modest Mouse, The Shins, Franz Ferdinand, and The Strokes. They aren't prog bands, they're what you would call indie, but I think they have the creative element that a lot of the prog bands from the 70's possessed.

Here's a song from each to start you off. These songs should be a good, quick gauge of whether you will like the band or not.

Sea Legs - The Shins
This Boy - Franz Ferdinand
Ocean Breathes Salty - Modest Mouse
Juicebox - The Strokes

I've heard some Shins, even from this same album. I like them, but don't love them. I think they're actually pretty great at what they do, it's just not QUITE my style, but I certainly respect them. If someone locked me in a closet and played their entire discography a few times, I'd probably grow to really appreciate them, but then of course I wouldn't be able to listen because of the bad locked in a closet associations.

I'd heard a lot about Franz Ferdinand around here, and now that I've heard one of their tracks, um, no thanks - not horrible, but not me at all. Ditto on Modest Mouse.

The Strokes are interesting, but again not my thing.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Apr 18 2012, 11:54 PM)
I'd definitely recommend Deluge Grander. Unfortunately there's only one song up on PA:

http://www.progarchives.com/mp3.asp?id=1580

Really need a full list of bands you are familiar with, though that's probably a tall order.
Wobbler and Magic Pie would be other recommendations.

What about Echolyn? Top stuff influenced by Gentle Giant.

As I mentioned before - loved the Deluge Grandeur

I tired a couple of Echolyn songs and they aren't really for me. Not crazy about them vocally, and even less crazy about them lyrically.

I tried a couple Magic Pie tracks from different albums and didn't really dig them either - same complaint as Echolyn, and also too modern and slick a sound for me - I really do prefer retro sounding prog like Wobbler, which are excellent!

So you're 2 for 4 - not bad at all as I expected everyone to be 0 for whatever. Anything else you can recommend based on my responses?

QUOTE (Todem @ Apr 20 2012, 11:12 AM)
Pick up the last three Candlebox records that most people did not hear.

Happy Pills - 1999
Into the Sun - 2009
Love Songs & Other Musings (just released 2 weeks ago)

They are without a doubt one of the most overlooked kick ass, great playing, insane live rock bands in the world right now.

My close friend and I have been able to forge a freindship with Kevin Martin and Peter Klett over the last 2 years. They are truly gentleman, great guys, and great musicians.

Seriously.....check out Candlebox's latest two CD's and Happy Pills which came out way back in 99 but is an amazing record as well. You will not believe this is the same band that recorded their smash debut which sold I believe over 5 million copies. I saw them open for Rush back on the tour in 92/93 and have been a fan ever since. They went through a long hiatus between 2000-2008 then reformed and have been killing it since with 2 records in the last 3 years. I hope they keep it going.

Hung out with and saw them last night open their tour for the new record. Go see them if they come to your town.

You won't regret it. They are great live.

No they are not prog...but they are Led Zep type of rock. Lot's of soul, and melody and amazing guitars and vocals.

I listened to the title tracks of the first 2 albums you mentioned - nice, but a little too straight ahead rock/hard rock for my tastes.

QUOTE (adace1 @ Apr 22 2012, 08:19 PM)
Pendragon - Paintbox, amazing song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOQqK8RgLX4

I've heard of this band for a very long time. It reminds me of a lot of more modern prog I've heard that has a very specific kind of sound. Alas, it's all too neo-prog for me - the keyboards, the vocals and the lyrics, although the guitar was really good. This is kind of the typical example of why I used to say that neo-prog and prog should be considered separate genres - the new stuff is definitely inspired by the older stuff, but it has a very different much more modern sound that unfortunately I just don't dig as much. Kind of the same thing for me with the IQ I've heard. Thanks, though!

QUOTE (progrush2112 @ Apr 24 2012, 01:01 PM)
Hey brotha, not sure if these are "Retro" enough wink.gif might be a little more metal, but some recent tunes I've been digging for awhile:

Blackfield - another project by PT's Steven Wilson
Blackfield - "Blackfield"
Blackfield - "1,000 People"

O.S.I. - Jim Matheos (Fate's Warning); Kevin Moore, Mike Portnoy (ex-Dream Theater); Sean Malone (Cynic/Gordian Knot)
O.S.I. - "The New Math (What He Said)"
O.S.I. - "O.S.I."
O.S.I. - "Free"

Gordian Knot - Project by Sean Malone whose lineup has at times included Steve Hackett, Bill Bruford, John Myung, and others.
Gordian Knot - Code/Anticode

As stated previously in the thread, Opeth's newest album is very old school, and trippy music video to boot! common001.gif
Opeth - "The Devil's Orchard"

Another previously mentioned artist, but no linky. Great song.
Sigur Ros - "Staralfur"

The Yellow Moon Band - found these guys back in the good ol days of the Interdimensional Vortex. From what I know this is their only album, but its some great sounds.
The Yellow Moon Band - "Chimney"

I'll keep an ear out.... trink39.gif

Steven Wilson's music/projects is very hit and miss for me. I usually prefer when he does instrumental as opposed to always trying to write the next great epic atmospheric American pop/rock song. Sometimes he pulls it off, but it's more miss than hit for me, and usually it's because of the lyrics which often don't quite make it for me. That said, the second song is MUCH better than the first for me.

O.S.I. didn't do a lot for me - slightly too metally in parts for me, and vocally was kind of meh. Sorry!

Gordian Knot was very fusion-y, but that stuff was done MUCH better in the 70's IMHO...

Opeth is definitely not the group for me!

Sigur Ros I really like a lot. They've been a work in progress for me for awhile now - learning to get into them - I suspect soon I'll really love this group.

And finally we have The Yellow Moon Band! I really liked this song so I checked out other ones, and every other song I heard was even better! This one I'm definitely picking up! trink39.gif

QUOTE (friendlyfloridian @ Apr 25 2012, 03:39 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 18 2012, 09:40 AM)
First off, let me state that I'm in love with the band Astra.  They make music in the present that is truly retro; not only something that sounds like it could have been recorded in the 70's, but is actually up to the quality of 70's classic prog and space rock.  I didn't think that was possible.

I've been searching through progarchives, looking for music from the past 20 years that is rated VERY highly, like 4.20 or higher, and I gotta say that most of it does nothing or very little for me -  it's either too metal or too derivative or the singing and/or lyrics suck or it's just too modern somehow.  Much of the highly rated space rock stuff just sounds like mindless atmospheric guitar wankery without enough substance to hold it together - like music that probably works if you're stoned out of your mind, but otherwise, not so much. 

Sometimes it's just a matter of making a 70 minute album - even in the 60's and 70's a double album was almost impossible to pull off and maintain consistency - just because that length is standard now didn't change that fact.

I'm trying to find great music from the past 10-20 years, but am having a hell of a time doing it.  I do like or love some Porcupine Tree tracks, some Dream Theater tracks, some Radiohead tracks and other assorted odds and ends here and there, but outside of Astra haven't found a group that I thought was "IT," that truly had a sound I loved that made great albums all the way through that I love listening to as much as the vintage stuff.

Can anyone help me out here with some best of the best suggestions that fit my criteria?  Maybe I should just give up the ghost?  I'm also open to albums that transcend this time period from other genres...

I was thinking that you might consider a different musical genre? I was on your same quest years ago and I eventually moved into the pure Ambient genre as an alternative and I am glad I did!

laugh.gif

For a long while in the 90's I got REALLY into ambient music. My faves are Pete Namlook, Paul Schutze, Future Sound of London, Tetsu Inoue, Steve Roach, Robert Rich, Brian Eno, O Yuki Conjugate, Vidna Obmana, Terre Thaemlitz, Woob, etc.

What are some of your all-time fave albums from this genre? I would definitely love to hear more. yes.gif

QUOTE (KenJennings @ Apr 24 2012, 03:41 PM)
A couple years old, but are you familiar with the band Frost*?

Frost* - Hyperventillate
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol592sakmZU
Frost* - Black Light Machine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPlqVwjDfUw

The Owl introduced me to this group awhile back.

Like them, don't love them. Of the links you gave me, enjoyed the first song more, probably because it was instrumental. Good stuff, but not something I would pursue.

QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Apr 25 2012, 06:49 PM)
I post from an iPad but I'll try to get my links up soon from a computer.

Please take into account my previous posts and reactions to groups you and others suggested. I really am looking for things that are retro sounding. The things so far that I love that people have suggested really are retro. So far I'm amazingly happy with:

all 3 Wobbler albums

Deluge Grander

The Yellow Moon Band (although that one only feels retro, and is still somewhat modern)

Sigur Ros I was already on top of

smile.gif

Edited by rushgoober

Have you heard of the relatively new Italian prog band Il tempio delle clessidre? They have one album out (self titled) and its sounds pretty retro. Its all sung in Italian like the classic Italian bands but musically they're very good. I've only listened to their album once so I don't really remember what songs I liked but here are some links.

Just remember this band: Willowglass. They're a retro symphonic prog band with classical elements. Lots of classic keys and flute.

Phideaux. Here are the 2 epics from their latest album Snowtorch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx_vi5FnV3c

Eye - Center of the Sun

Very spacey and psychedelic.

Edited by ColdFireYYZ

Surprised no one's mentioned RPWL (or maybe I missed it, or maybe you've already heard them? unsure.gif) Just remembered them and am currently spinning their new album. They're from Germany and originally formed as a Pink Floyd cover band before making their own stuff.

RPWL - Welcome to the Machine (live) Yes, THAT Welcome to the Machine. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I know I sent you some Flower Kings stuff, Goobs, they're really good, and supposed to come out with a new album this year.

I don't know how much you want to get into the prog-metal area, but if so you can check out some bands like

Abagail's Ghost

Frost*

Ayeron

Sieges Even (and splitoff group Subsignal)

BigElf

Haken

Karnivool (very good band here)

Riverside

Thought Chamber

Threshold

For regular non metal prog

Spock's Beard (I think I sent you one of their CDs before though)

Glass Hammer

Mostly Autumn (very overignored band, sadly they dont have a US distributor, and will have to pay more for an import)

Pineapple Theif (more of an alternative band with prog leanings, imagine mixing Porcupine Tree and Radiohead)

Steven Wilson (of Pocupine Tree)'s two solo albums

The Tangent

Transatlantic