Need Help with Great New Music! Can't Find Any!

rushgoober

First off, let me state that I'm in love with the band Astra. They make music in the present that is truly retro; not only something that sounds like it could have been recorded in the 70's, but is actually up to the quality of 70's classic prog and space rock. I didn't think that was possible.

I've been searching through progarchives, looking for music from the past 20 years that is rated VERY highly, like 4.20 or higher, and I gotta say that most of it does nothing or very little for me - it's either too metal or too derivative or the singing and/or lyrics suck or it's just too modern somehow. Much of the highly rated space rock stuff just sounds like mindless atmospheric guitar wankery without enough substance to hold it together - like music that probably works if you're stoned out of your mind, but otherwise, not so much.

Sometimes it's just a matter of making a 70 minute album - even in the 60's and 70's a double album was almost impossible to pull off and maintain consistency - just because that length is standard now didn't change that fact.

I'm trying to find great music from the past 10-20 years, but am having a hell of a time doing it. I do like or love some Porcupine Tree tracks, some Dream Theater tracks, some Radiohead tracks and other assorted odds and ends here and there, but outside of Astra haven't found a group that I thought was "IT," that truly had a sound I loved that made great albums all the way through that I love listening to as much as the vintage stuff.

Can anyone help me out here with some best of the best suggestions that fit my criteria? Maybe I should just give up the ghost? I'm also open to albums that transcend this time period from other genres...

Edited by rushgoober

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know you hate the beejeebus out of Tool, but try these three tracks: The Patient, Right in Two, Wings for Marie/10000 Days. Those are not so heavy and they have a nice psychedelic touch to them, without any screaming vocals.

Okay, that may not work out for you. Have you heard of Discipline and Glass Hammer?

Discipline is VdGG meets Yes with touches of Genesis.

Glass Hammer is pretty much just Yes.

I wish you could get past the vocals of TMV as there's a bunch of great stuff there.

The last two Pain of Salvation albums have a muddy 60's-70's sound with a bit of retro prog leaning and absolutely no metal (maybe a tinge) but the vocals and lyrics are WAY OVER THE TOP. I don't think you'd care about the lyrics though since you aren't attached to this band.

Maybe you should give some earlier Pain of Salvation a try though. I'd recommend The Perfect Element Pt. 1 or Remedy Lane. The first two albums are amazing as well but feature a little more straightforward metal sections.

Anyway, try these 15 Pain of Salvation tracks:

From Entropia: Oblivion Ocean, People Passing By

From One Hour By The Concrete Lake: Inside, Water

From The Perfect Element: In the Flesh, Her Voices

From Remedy Lane: A Trace of Blood, Dryad of the Woods

From Be: Imago, Pluvius Aestivus

From Scarsick: Kingdom of Loss

From Road Salt 1: Sisters, Linoleum

From Road Salt 2: Eleven, The Physics of Gridlock

Okay, a little tip: Pain of Salvation, the earlier albums at least, feature rapping vocals and also some screams here and there, but I tried to avoid that. I think you should listen to the songs I recommended from The Perfect Element first. Avoid the album Scarsick. That's for diehard fans, and I included the best song on there, but the rest of the album is tons of rapping and parody tracks, like America and Disco Queen. The Road Salt albums are 99% metal free so check out those.

AHHHHH! I KNOW!

Try Part the Second by Maudlin of the Well.

The first song should do it: An Excerpt from 6,000,000,000,000 Miles Before the First, or the Revisitation of the Blue Ghost.

That sounds maybe a tiny bit retro but it is seriously some of the most beautiful music ever. MotW used to be metal featuring growls and stuff but this last release has no growls and is pretty much pure beauty mixing chamber music with post rock with psychedelia with blues with jazz with avant-garde with music from astral projection tongue.gif

And if you like that album (which I believe you can download for free of the band's website), then check out Kayo Dot.

They are not new and you might have heard them Altura . Great prog-metalish band that are no longer together . The album came out well over 10 years ago

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Apr 18 2012, 09:47 AM)
My buddy gave me this album called Electric Forest by a newer band called Gekko Projekt. Pretty cool, jazzy prog. Good solos and almost all instrumental. I dig it.

Also, Wobbler. They're pretty f'n excellent.

I second Wobbler, you'd like that. Got a slight Anglagard vibe to it.

A Perfect Circle is a less metal more ambient/poppy version of Tool, try that. Maybe try This Town Needs Guns and Tera Melos, delicious math rock there, just absolutely crazy stuff. You MAY like some Rishloo stuff. They sound like A Perfect Circle with a dash of Mars Volta but the vocals are not high-pitched, they're more like A Perfect Circle's vocals. Try their song Keyhole in the Sky or Diamond Eyes.

Depending on the PT stuff you like, you might absolutely love No-Man. Try their beautiful song Things I Want to Tell You. You might also like Sigur Ros, absolutely beautiful post-rock.

Okay, my last recommendation! tongue.gif

The latest Opeth album. Pure retro prog, not a single growl or hell even metal moment.

Maybe Gazpacho? Check out the tracks Black Lily and Mary Celeste from their new album March of Ghosts. They're not retro but you may like them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEkrPieYinA...4145F34C2130FA3

Also try Moon Safari. They're pretty upbeat, kind of like Yes meets The Beach Boys. Their album A Doorway To The Summer is pretty good.

And I totally agree with Wobbler. They're awesome!

Edited by ColdFireYYZ

Try these: Modest Mouse, The Shins, Franz Ferdinand, and The Strokes. They aren't prog bands, they're what you would call indie, but I think they have the creative element that a lot of the prog bands from the 70's possessed.

Here's a song from each to start you off. These songs should be a good, quick gauge of whether you will like the band or not.

Sea Legs - The Shins

This Boy - Franz Ferdinand

Ocean Breathes Salty - Modest Mouse

Juicebox - The Strokes

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 18 2012, 12:40 PM)
Thanks peeps - I'll try some of your recommendations - Maudlin the Well and IQ I've already heard and wasn't blown away by those, but the others I'll check on youtube, etc. - feel free to give me youtube links!

What Maudlin of the Well did you hear?

I'd definitely recommend Deluge Grander. Unfortunately there's only one song up on PA:

http://www.progarchives.com/mp3.asp?id=1580

Really need a full list of bands you are familiar with, though that's probably a tall order.

Wobbler and Magic Pie would be other recommendations.

What about Echolyn? Top stuff influenced by Gentle Giant.

Edited by Tony R

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 20 2012, 07:26 AM)
Nordagust - Expectations
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxtpl3kUst8

I think you'd love these guys.

This song is HUGE, around 4:00 it just SOARS.

I listened to that song and another from that album - the music is great, the lyrics/vocals I'm a bit iffy on - maybe with more listens I could grow to like them - this is often the sticking point with me and modern prog...

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Apr 19 2012, 07:53 AM)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO-lbBZbX24

watch this. Very over the top but mind-blowing and tons of fun.

Ok, I listened to about 20 minutes of this.

Interesting.... what a schizophrenic listening experience! When they came in with the British folk lyrics/singing, well, I didn't see that coming. no.gif

And then a few minutes later it sounded like a completely different group again... interesting - whether or not I could get into this group - possibly...