RUSH WITH AN ORCHESTRA

Janie

Do you want your Rush with a side of strings?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want your Rush with a side of strings?

• I would love to see Rush perform with an orchestra.
    • I would be horrified to see Rush perform with an orchestra.
    • I don't care either way.

(Similar to rushnmike's thread found HERE but I wanted to see this in poll form. I'm really curious to see what the general consensus is.)

First, I think it's safe to say that Rush travelling and performing with an orchestra is pure speculation but there has been so much talk of it that it's obviously a possibility.

Personally, I do not want to see Rush perform with an orchestra. Not in the least. I go to a Rush show to see Rush perform as they always have. I want to see Geddy, Neil and Alex on stage. ONLY. If I want to see an orchestra perform, I will go to a theatre or Opera House. I go to see Rush to hear some fantastic music. I hope they stick to the basics and just rock out onstage together.

(Besides, the last thing I want to happen is to be distracted from staring to the point of having to add eye drops and wear a drool-catching bib as I stare, stare and stare at the hotness that is Alex Lifeson.)

Very curious to see how my fellow TRF members will vote.

Edited by Janie

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whats the harm if they do a couple special shows and a DVD? confused13.gif i don't understand why people are getting so bent out of shape over this RUMOR? People are acting like they have no choice to go a see Rush with an orchestra, or that this is the only way Rush will ever tour again. I think songs like Faithless and Manhattan Project would sound amazing will real strings instead of MIDI triggers!

Horrified is a good word.

One of the things on my bucket list is to see Peter Gabriel perform live, and that's super rare (at least in the States). Yet I didn't go when he was here last because he was touring with the classical/orchestra treatment - no guitars, no drums... that's not Peter Gabriel. That's ridiculous. It'll probably be another ten years before he comes back, but... oh, well. I just can't support that.

I would like to see Rush with an orchestra for 3 (maybe 4) songs. Many of us are tired of seeing TSoR and Tom Sawyer live but it might be a nice change of pace for once. Plus the remote chance of seeing Losing It live would be increased if this were true.

But for a whole show, NO.

I wouldn't be horrified, but I'd rather not, not just for the change in sound, but because there might be an orchestra pit in front of the stage, and then even froont-row seats would still be a ways away from the band. I want to have some small chance of seeing them up close.

I'll give it a chance if they go ahead with it, but I'm glad I've seen them without one.

http://www.amazon.com/Exit-Stage-Right-Qua...e/dp/B000068QYH

This is the "sample page" for Exit...Stage Right, the String Quartet Tribute to 2.gif

I tried YYZ, Red Barchetta, and Tom Sawyer. facepalm.gif banghead.gif

Maybe a full orchestra would work? You'd have low end, full percussion and all that glorious sound AND the guys. Kinda worked for Scorpions, Metallica and (holy crap on a cracker I can't believe I'm gonna say this) to a certain extent KISS.

Edited by BeOhBe Bob

If they were to work with an orchestra, I would like it to be the Cleveland Contemporary Youth Orchestra (which did a GREAT show with Styx). Rather than employ a traditional orchestra, in which many (older) musicians really don't get into rock, they should have a younger, more hip group.

Well since my wife's at work, I have free reign and free time SO....been Googling

NO not girls in stilettos and such like I....um nevermind

OK Janie brought up something that's been on my mind from time to time as well

2.gif with a full orchestra

Try Red Barchetta

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Apr 16 2012, 10:22 PM)
If they were to work with an orchestra, I would like it to be the Cleveland Contemporary Youth Orchestra (which did a GREAT show with Styx). Rather than employ a traditional orchestra, in which many (older) musicians really don't get into rock, they should have a younger, more hip group.

if this was Facebook I'd like your post WM!

QUOTE (BeOhBe Bob @ Apr 16 2012, 09:33 PM)
QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Apr 16 2012, 10:22 PM)
If they were to work with an orchestra, I would like it to be the Cleveland Contemporary Youth Orchestra (which did a GREAT show with Styx).  Rather than employ a traditional orchestra, in which many (older) musicians really don't get into rock, they should have a younger, more hip group.

if this was Facebook I'd like your post WM!

I'll settle for a trink38.gif .....!!!

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 16 2012, 06:40 PM)
Horrified is a good word.

One of the things on my bucket list is to see Peter Gabriel perform live, and that's super rare (at least in the States). Yet I didn't go when he was here last because he was touring with the classical/orchestra treatment - no guitars, no drums... that's not Peter Gabriel. That's ridiculous. It'll probably be another ten years before he comes back, but... oh, well. I just can't support that.

you made a mistake there, my friend. Peter Gabrial was amazing with the orchestra! i really enjoyed the show.

Well the new rumour is YES!

Set 1:

Clockwork Angels (with Orchestra where needed)

Set 2:

Also Sparch Zarathustra

Subdivisions

Analog Kid

Digital Man

Jacobs Ladder

The Weapon

New World Man

Losing It (With Orchestra)

Tears (with Orchestra)

Madrigal (with Orchestra)

Manhattan Project (with Orchestra)

Marathon (with Orchestra)

YYZ/ Drum Solo (with Real Jazz Horns)

Alex's Solo/ Different Strings (with Orchestra)

Xanadu (Entire)

2112 Overture/ Temples/ Finale

Encore:

Limelight

Freewill

La Villa Strangiatto

Encore#2:

Far Cry

Tom Sawyer

The Spirit of Radio

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Apr 22 2012, 08:16 PM)
Well the new rumour is YES!

Set 1:

Clockwork Angels (with Orchestra where needed)

Set 2:

Also Sparch Zarathustra
Subdivisions
Analog Kid
Digital Man
Jacobs Ladder
The Weapon
New World Man
Losing It (With Orchestra)
Tears (with Orchestra)
Madrigal (with Orchestra)
Manhattan Project (with Orchestra)
Marathon (with Orchestra)
YYZ/ Drum Solo (with Real Jazz Horns)
Alex's Solo/ Different Strings (with Orchestra)
Xanadu (Entire)
2112 Overture/ Temples/ Finale

Encore:
Limelight
Freewill
La Villa Strangiatto

Encore#2:
Far Cry
Tom Sawyer
The Spirit of Radio

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

The rumor *you* are starting, you mean wink.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Apr 17 2012, 03:23 AM)
Kind of limited choice feelings. Since I wouldn't be horrified, I went with love baby, cause that's where it's at biggrin.gif

I'm still not thrilled but I do want to see Rush. So... bring it. I guess.

I'd love to see this come to pass...I think Rush's music would be great backed by an orchestra.

I keep going abck to how great Metallica sounded on the Symphony & Metallica Record/DVD.

~Peace, Love, Rush

RGLT

Not in any way, shape or form do i want to see this . EVER

I picked "Horrified" - although I just simply would rather NOT see Rush w/ an orchestra. At LEAST not for the entire show. Maybe for a couple of songs. Although...i WILL say that a few certain songs, such as La Villa Strangiato, Losing It, or Jacob's Ladder, WOULD actually sound pretty bad-ass with an orchestra behind them yes.gif

But an ENTIRE concert? no.gif

Wont stop me from going. If thats how they wrote any of the songs then so be it. I am sure they wont be playing on Limelight....