Headed to Houston

glennb2112

I'm headed to Houston to catch a few baseball games and would like to find some decent grub. I live in Memphis so it doesnt have to be BBQ but some local out of the ordinary places would be great.

Suggestions please...

Check out Washington Avenue while you are in town. It's the new hot spot. Lot's of bars, but also some good restaurants. Benjy's is fantastic. The Broken Spoke is an unusual belgian restaurant. BRC and Beaver's are both top notch. Hickory Hollow has good BBQ. Shiva's in Rice Village has good Indian. Mi Luna, also in the Village, has good tappas. El Tiempo (several locations) has good Mexican food. Pronto, Raia's, and Maggiano's are all good Italian. El Rey is good, cheap Cuban fast food. And, on the west side of town, Rudi Lechner's has amazing German food.

Enough choices for ya?

Edited by Merely Space

Some MUST TRY Houston restaurants:

Star's Pizza

Spaghetti Warehouse

Chuy's

59 Diner

Lupe Tortilla

House of Blues (Restaurant)

Prince's Burgers

Friend's Pizza

Hard Rock Cafe

Downtown Aquarium

I know some of these are franchises, but still. Pretty damn good food. tongue.gif

Edited by Shredder2

When ever I'm in Houston, I always try and stop here for a little Scottish cuisine!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-fKuHG_-UmTw/TyRJkgmPjAI/AAAAAAAAAPE/pQqaA9BQWgg/s1600/mcdonalds.jpg

mmm mmm Good! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Apr 24 2012, 04:24 PM)
When ever I'm in Houston, I always try and stop here for a little Scottish cuisine!
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-fKuHG_-UmTw/TyRJkgmPjAI/AAAAAAAAAPE/pQqaA9BQWgg/s1600/mcdonalds.jpg

mmm mmm Good! biggrin.gif

laugh.gif Have you tried the McHagis? Mmmm... Intestiney!

QUOTE (Merely Space @ Apr 24 2012, 05:24 PM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Apr 24 2012, 04:24 PM)

mmm mmm Good!  biggrin.gif

laugh.gif Have you tried the McHagis? Mmmm... Intestiney!

McHaggis rocks, but I prefer the McMutton. smile.gif

QUOTE (Merely Space @ Apr 17 2012, 08:00 AM)
Check out Washington Avenue while you are in town.  It's the new hot spot.  Lot's of bars, but also some good restaurants.  Benjy's is fantastic.  The Broken Spoke is an unusual belgian restaurant.  BRC and Beaver's are both top notch.  Hickory Hollow has good BBQ.  Shiva's in Rice Village has good Indian.  Mi Luna, also in the Village, has good tappas.  El Tiempo (several locations) has good Mexican food.  Pronto, Raia's, and Maggiano's are all good Italian.  El Rey is good, cheap Cuban fast food.  And, on the west side of town, Rudi Lechner's has amazing German food.

Enough choices for ya?

I have been to Houston numerous times, i would say the best place is the airport out....

really I just hate the weather there.

But... Do check out the German cuisine. Most of Texas has deep German roots, i would say this is one of your best bets.

Tex-Mex... maybe such a dice roll, I would be more inclined to try and find a real Mexican restaurant. Also crawfish! gulf shrimp/seafood....

Edited by burgeranacoke

Your best bet is to make it to Austin on the way back and hit the Chilie Parlor just south of the capitol. If you want real Texas German food make the trip out to Fredricksburg. Not big on it myself, but it's as authentic as it gets. Hell, the whole hill country is a German settlement more or less.