lets zeppelin

tel

I, too was very anti-Zeppelin because of when I grew up.

It was the early '80s when I reached my teenage years and really started to like (and dislike) music.

Growing up, I had heard Stairway one million times, but all the kids I didn't like thought Zeppelin was "Wicked awesome. Best band evah!"

So I hated them.

Ever see the TV show Freaks and Geeks? As I entered high school, I was definitely in the younger group, the Geeks (I was actually a class or two behind them, but close enough).

But the Freaks (James Franco and Jason Siegel and Josh Rogan) were the upperclassmen. They were the older brothers of my friends, the ones who played boomboxes in the back of the bus, and wore jean jackets with patches on them, and had to shave, and SMOKED, and got beer somehow for parties, and cut school and maybe HAD SEX.

They loved The Wall and The Song Remains the Same. And that made them scary.

But then I got out of high school and went to college in the mid to late '80s, and the last thing you wanted to be playing around your new friends was some '70s hard rock, so you listened to 10,000 Maniacs and The Smiths instead.

And then I heard Led Zeppelin again when I was in my 20s. And I didn't want to like it, but OMG, I thought this stuff was actually good. I just had to compare it to the weak hard rock I'd just been exposed to. I mean, GnR was really good, but Warrant? and Poison? and Bon Jovi??

And I realized I didn't care about the Freaks and jean jackets and smoking anymore. I had figured out that Pink Floyd's stuff, includiing The Wall, was cool, so why not Zeppelin?

Once I let go of my hangups, I listened anew.

And Zeppelin knocked me on my ass. They still do.

I'm still sick of Stairway, and sometimes I think listening to Black Dog is like being hit repeatedly with a hammer, but the Freaks were right.

Best rock band EVAH.

Edited by sitboaf
  • Like 1

Between 18 and 22 I was a Zep fanatic. Had everything, heard everything, even bootlegs. At the same time I was listening to all other stuff, Who, Rush, Sabbath, prog, folk, etc... Then, progressively, Zep started to bore me. The other bands didn't, but Zep did. Their songs became stale. Lame. I simply lost interest, I couldn't say why. I can still rock out to War Pigs (actually I did that just yesterday in the car), but you should pay me big money to listen to Zep II. And don't mention Stairway.

The only song I can go back and listen to is Battle of Evermore. All the rest, is a closed chapter to me.

All I can say, seeing (on stage) is believing.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w276/custom55/IMG_0145.jpg

Very nice...

I still say that Zeppelin were not without their flaws, and some sloppiness (mostly on the part of Page, and Plant's voice sometimes). They were one of the greatest spectacles ever on a rock and roll stage, but they were also human- not without defects.

I remember seeing Page and Plant for the first time together (as Zeppelin's last North American tour was when I was four years old, so I was a bit young for it, heh heh)- at Rupp Arena in Lexington, KY, March of '95- they opened the show with The Wanton Song, and sounded fantastic- for a few moments there, it really felt like 1975. :)

• Like 1

Between 18 and 22 I was a Zep fanatic. Had everything, heard everything, even bootlegs. At the same time I was listening to all other stuff, Who, Rush, Sabbath, prog, folk, etc... Then, progressively, Zep started to bore me. The other bands didn't, but Zep did. Their songs became stale. Lame. I simply lost interest, I couldn't say why. I can still rock out to War Pigs (actually I did that just yesterday in the car), but you should pay me big money to listen to Zep II. And don't mention Stairway.

The only song I can go back and listen to is Battle of Evermore. All the rest, is a closed chapter to me.

lmao that made me giggle :P

OH yes. Did I mention my brother had over one hundred zep bootlegs and I heard THOSE countless times, too? Yep.

You're right about the music just suddenly boring you and not knowing why. That's me. lol

when LZ is playing, I blast some other music to drown it out, usually lmao. ;)

The mighty Led Zeppelin will swim laps around that other music, laughing louder than you!

I shall laugh as I turn the music up louder!! ;)

The mighty Led Zeppelin will swim laps around that other music, laughing louder than you!

http://www.oldskoolhooligans.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/a/l/allmenblue.jpg

http://www.oldskoolhooligans.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/a/l/allmenblue.jpg

Love the shirt !

your speakers cannot go loud enough... :moon:

• Like 1

Four Sticks is actually one of their songs I like :)

So there's still hope! :dweez:

Slightly!! LMAO

Oh yeah, there's a handful of their songs that I like still! That is one of them ;)

Personally, I think Cheap Trick is worlds above Zeppelin.

Actually, I can sympathize with this...or empathize...or something. Cheap Trick is to you what the Black Crowes are to me. I can pull out a hundred different Crowes shows that I have that I think are miles better than a lot of Zeppelin's live material. The Crowes came along when I was 17, and I've seen them live more than any other band (49 times, to be exact, between August of 1992 and December of 2009- from Dayton to San Fran to Chicago to DC to Atlanta to Lafayette, Louisiana and back again)...aside from Rush, they are the most important band to come along in my lifetime.

Zeppelin had the power to be great, live and in the studio, and they frequently were. But they (or half of them, anyway) were also frequently off, to my ears. 4/27/77 is a good example of that- it was widely circulated and so highly regarded for years, because it was a soundboard from the '77 tour (this the show called Destroyer in boot circles, if you need help)...and I remember picking it up at a record show, and I was so excited for it. But then hearing it was a total let-down. It was sub-par and sloppy, I thought. LA Forum 6/21/77 is infinitely better. Just illustrates that they could be hit or miss, in my opinion.

I'm not trying to be talking out of both sides of my mouth, here, but...you know what I mean?

• Like 1

its been a year and a half since I instigated this potato during which time I have not altered my opinion in the least, each time I try to listen to them I find myself reaching for the skip button and its mainly due to plants moaning and squealing,its fukcin intolerable!! ......PURPLE RULE!!

Slightly!! LMAO

Oh yeah, there's a handful of their songs that I like still! That is one of them ;)

I'm confident you can learn to love Zep, Hobo73. Come on...come on. You know you can do it.

• Like 1

Actually, I can sympathize with this...or empathize...or something. Cheap Trick is to you what the Black Crowes are to me. I can pull out a hundred different Crowes shows that I have that I think are miles better than a lot of Zeppelin's live material. The Crowes came along when I was 17, and I've seen them live more than any other band (49 times, to be exact, between August of 1992 and December of 2009- from Dayton to San Fran to Chicago to DC to Atlanta to Lafayette, Louisiana and back again)...aside from Rush, they are the most important band to come along in my lifetime.

Zeppelin had the power to be great, live and in the studio, and they frequently were. But they (or half of them, anyway) were also frequently off, to my ears. 4/27/77 is a good example of that- it was widely circulated and so highly regarded for years, because it was a soundboard from the '77 tour (this the show called Destroyer in boot circles, if you need help)...and I remember picking it up at a record show, and I was so excited for it. But then hearing it was a total let-down. It was sub-par and sloppy, I thought. LA Forum 6/21/77 is infinitely better. Just illustrates that they could be hit or miss, in my opinion.

I'm not trying to be talking out of both sides of my mouth, here, but...you know what I mean?

I know what you mean. I hear their live stuff, and it's, meh. But a band like the Black Crows slays it every time live. :cheers:

Slightly!! LMAO

I'm confident you can learn to love Zep, Hobo73. Come on...come on. You know you can do it.

Please, no, no no no I have heard them enough for a dozen lifetimes LOL!! I really don't think people understand just. how. much. I had to hear them growing up.

Example- for an 18 hour road trip, my dad said he brought 10 CDs. I said awesome!!! which ones?

9 of them were LZ mixes. Oh, and the CD case in the car? Nothing but Zep albums. -___-

Yeah, good thing I had headphones for THAT road trip.

I know EXACTLY what you mean!!! lol and yes, heard both of those boots- my brother had over a hundred LZ boots 0_o

See?? you know what it's like. MUSICALLY, maybe they didn't take the same chances as LZ did, but to you, the Crowes are better. That's me with CT lol :P

its been a year and a half since I instigated this potato during which time I have not altered my opinion in the least, each time I try to listen to them I find myself reaching for the skip button and its mainly due to plants moaning and squealing,its fukcin intolerable!! ......PURPLE RULE!!

Tel! How the hell are you?! I adore Purple, but surely Gillan is even more guilty than Percy when it comes to the ol' moaning & squealing?

Hey Hatchet,im good thanks..more of an observer around here in recent times but still inclined to jump in occasionally, Gillan is (was )more of a screamer and a damn good one to boot but plant sounds like he spilled his cement.

Ahem, this is why I don't talk much