lets zeppelin

tel

Led zeppelin,often hailed as the biggest, baddest rock band of all time ,but do you agree?

Do zep still deserve this accolade? did they ever deserve it?

ive always found them hit and miss and failed to understand the hype surrounding them.

i find them ok but thats it really. confused13.gif

• Like 1

I at times feel Jimmy Page is a little overrated. He was pretty sloppy live and he was just copping a lot of blues songs on those early records.

But while Led Zeppelin might not be everyone's personal cup of tea I don't know how one constructs a viable argument against them as a vastly important and mostly impressive band. Not that I was alive at the time, but everything I've read and heard suggests that they were so incredibly powerful when they arrived on the scene. They seemed to just blow the roof off. JPJ and Bonham grooved hard. How can you not give it up for those two, at the very least?

They just seemed so heavy coming out of the gate, alongside Sabbath and The Who circa Live at Leeds. Just sheer musical force.

Mick Jagger may have been as influential a front man as Robert Plant, Keith Moon may have been as big of an influence as Bonzo on future generations of drummers, Ritchie Blackmore may have influenced as many guitarists as Jimmy Page, but it was only Led Zeppelin that combined all three in the 70's. Maybe I'm missing somebody - I'm posting while working - but only The Who comes close in this regard.

QUOTE (Echoes @ Apr 17 2012, 09:56 PM)
Whenever I think "greatest band of all time", without a doubt, it's always Led Zeppelin.

in what way?,led zeppelin produced ok music most of the time with occasional moments of genius.

However page was often self indulgent playing live, trying to hard to be experimental and "out there" whilst plant sounded like a scalded cat with his moaning and wailing,just fukcin annoying actually.

i think a lot of people got caught up in the hysteria,but the truth is there were many bands from the 70s era that were much better.

To answer my own question...yes they were and possibly still are the biggest rock band of all time,but deservedly so?......NAHH bolt.gif

QUOTE (tel @ Apr 18 2012, 01:02 PM)
Whenever I think "greatest band of all time", without a doubt, it's always Led Zeppelin.

in what way?,led zeppelin produced ok music most of the time with occasional moments of genius.

However page was often self indulgent playing live, trying to hard to be experimental and "out there" whilst plant sounded like a scalded cat with his moaning and wailing,just fukcin annoying actually.

i think a lot of people got caught up in the hysteria,but the truth is there were many bands from the 70s era that were much better.

To answer my own question...yes they were and possibly still are the biggest rock band of all time,but deservedly so?......NAHH bolt.gif

Christ man, what a f*cked up answer.

QUOTE (tel @ Apr 18 2012, 08:02 AM)

I was born in 1991, so I didn't get caught up in any hysteria. I listen to the music, I look back at what else was going on at the time, where music is today, what they accomplished, their individual prowess as musicians, ect ect. I could go on and on.

So, I'm curious. Who do YOU think is the greatest of all time?

QUOTE (Echoes @ Apr 19 2012, 01:21 AM)

I was born in 1991, so I didn't get caught up in any hysteria. I listen to the music, I look back at what else was going on at the time, where music is today, what they accomplished, their individual prowess as musicians, ect ect. I could go on and on.

Looking into my crystal ball....tel will pick......Deep Purple!

Or Rammstein...

Or System of a Down......

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 19 2012, 04:04 AM)

Or Rammstein...

Rammstein and system are great fun but in no way serious contenders here,besides wrong era by about 4 decades tongue.gif

Deep purple however were a much better band than zeppelin and so were sabbath,genesis,yes,tull and many others.

look im just trying to instigate some conversation here i dont expect many on here to agree with this opinion. unsure.gif

my rating zep v purple.....

blackmore..10/10 page...8/10

gillan..........10/10 plant...7/10

glover......... 8/10 jones..8/10

lord.............10/10 jones..6/10

paice........... 8/10 bonzo.10/10

------- -------

46/50 39/50

QUOTE (tel @ Apr 19 2012, 03:33 PM)

Or Rammstein...

Rammstein and system are great fun but in no way serious contenders here,besides wrong era by about 4 decades tongue.gif

Deep purple however were a much better band than zeppelin and so were sabbath,genesis,yes,tull and many others.

look im just trying to instigate some conversation here i dont expect many on here to agree with this opinion. unsure.gif

------- -------

46/50 39/50

Pray tell, Tel, what are you basing your markings on? You seem have gone down a highly scientific route. Intrigued to know what formed your scores.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 19 2012, 04:28 PM)

Or Rammstein...

------- -------

46/50 39/50

Pray tell, Tel, what are you basing your markings on? You seem have gone down a highly scientific route. Intrigued to know what formed your scores.

You say wrong era for the pantomime clowns that are Rammstein and the sporadically average SOAD. Why couldn't a band from the '90's/'00's be in the reckoning for the "greatest" title?

Not the age-old horseshite "'70's were best coz I was there", surely?

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 19 2012, 11:28 AM)

Or Rammstein...

------- -------

46/50 39/50

musicianship,technical prowess,stage presence,

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 19 2012, 11:31 AM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 19 2012, 04:28 PM)

Or Rammstein...

------- -------

46/50 39/50

You say wrong era for the pantomime clowns that are Rammstein and the sporadically average SOAD. Why couldn't a band from the '90's/'00's be in the reckoning for the "greatest" title?

Not the age-old horseshite "'70's were best coz I was there", surely?

there is not one single band that came out of the 80 onwards that could hold a light to any of the aforementioned bands.

Two more for the pot.....THE WHO,PINK FLOYD both better than zep (imo)