• Like It
    • It's ok
    • Don't Like It
    • Hate It

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Apr 15 2012, 02:03 PM)
Choppy/flow-less, unstructured & random; prefabricated, uncompatible pieces forced together, disorganized and aimless: Analogous to a Ferrari engine fitted with Porsche pistons, BMW camshafts, a Mercedes crank, Lamborghini valves, and Briggs & Stratton carburator. It goes nowhere..

Well for a car going nowhere there sure are a lot of people lined up at the dealer to buy one. 1022.gif That's one of the reasons I started these two polls and the numbers speak for themselves. You small vocal minority always trying to convince the rest of us that these new songs are bad when in fact it's some of the best stuff they have come up with in a long time. When Headlong Flight is revealed shortly it will probably be just as good or better.

I like the song a lot. I also like BU2B as well. They don't excite me like new Rush did in the past, but to be fair I am not a teenager. At 41, the music is great and my level of excitement is high. If the rest of the tunes are as good as what I have heard, this will be a fantastic record and enjoy many spins this summer.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Apr 15 2012, 01:44 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 14 2012, 05:01 PM)
What some of you call shoehorned arrangements I call interesting arrangements. That's what makes it more prog-like than Rush have been in a long time. Iron Maiden is known for doing this and that's one of the things I always loved about them. Riding along on a jam section and....bam.....take a detour or tangent off to another section. Love it. I've been waiting for Rush to get a little weird again. It's been so long.

By shoehorning, I'm referring more to the lyrics being crammed in to the song, and lack of any great vocal melodies. The chorus in Caravan vocally is weak. S&A suffered from good vocal melodies. A lot of recent Rush material lacks the flow that great songs do, and sound like they are pieced together (see jam section in Caravan). Sure that is cool and all, but sounds out of place with the context of the song....

I'm a real sucker for great vocal melodies and it's something I think Geddy was really great at, but for some reason I guess in maybe the early 90s he started losing that a little bit.

There really is not many great melodies I love on much of anything from Counterparts til now. And it got really bad on VT on S&A to the point where not much of it is very memorable to me.

There was some here and there on VT, the line "coiled for the spring, caught like a creature in the headlights". Strong melody, but he just doesnt seem to be able to pump them out like he used to. Another thing that goes with age maybe, I dont know.

Absolutely LOVE it!!! 1022.gif

Choppy/flow-less, unstructured & random; prefabricated, incompatible pieces forced together, disorganized and aimless

Isn't this how the mainstream music press define prog?? tongue.gif

Seriously though -- I chose like, only because the verses are a teeny bit weak... But its the first thing I've heard in years that makes me think of classic Rush, I love the weird side of the band. Love Al's solo.

And for the record I like BU2B, but to me its the "Limelight" of the record -- an attempt at a melodic rocker that would get played on radio, whereas "Caravan" is the weird track, like "Freewill".

Bring on "Headlong Flight"!! It's gonna kill too! 1022.gif 2.gif

What some of you call shoehorned arrangements I call interesting arrangements. That's what makes it more prog-like than Rush have been in a long time. Iron Maiden is known for doing this and that's one of the things I always loved about them. Riding along on a jam section and....bam.....take a detour or tangent off to another section. Love it. I've been waiting for Rush to get a little weird again. It's been so long.

By shoehorning, I'm referring more to the lyrics being crammed in to the song, and lack of any great vocal melodies. The chorus in Caravan vocally is weak. S&A suffered from good vocal melodies. A lot of recent Rush material lacks the flow that great songs do, and sound like they are pieced together (see jam section in Caravan). Sure that is cool and all, but sounds out of place with the context of the song....

i hear the forced lyrical parts but i also hear forced musical parts, or like you referred to, "pieced together". maybe it's the lack of drive they had in the earlier years or something not clicking.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Apr 14 2012, 10:04 PM)
I love it. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

(am I the only one who's holding off on listening to Caravan/BU2B until the album comes out?)

Agree, I love it too.

And no, you're not the only one.....I am purposely holding out as well.

Looking forward to newly recorded versions of those 2 songs...

it would feel like an absolute rip off if they just put out the old versions...

not only that they can tinker a bit to improve on them.

I would change the "Flluuur...Flluuur ....Fllllluuuurrr..." intro a bit.

Hope fully more clarity all around too....no "60 layer wall of guitar" effects please.

Loved it, now i am sick of hearing it. Bring on the album 1022.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 15 2012, 08:54 PM)

I'm a real sucker for great vocal melodies and it's something I think Geddy was really great at, but for some reason I guess in maybe the early 90s he started losing that a little bit.

There really is not many great melodies I love on much of anything from Counterparts til now. And it got really bad on VT on S&A to the point where not much of it is very memorable to me.

There was some here and there on VT, the line "coiled for the spring, caught like a creature in the headlights". Strong melody, but he just doesnt seem to be able to pump them out like he used to. Another thing that goes with age maybe, I dont know.

I don't think its Geddy. I think its the lyrics.

Neil quit writing rock lyrics around Counterparts. Much of what he writes now seems nearly impossible put to music.

I think Geddy was influenced by less obvious melodic writing of alternative bands.

note many bands of the 90s used stranger than usual melodic lines. etc...

the 80s were full of people writing stuff that was more obvious and straight forward.

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Apr 16 2012, 02:33 PM)
I've always maintained that Caravan and Far Cry are Neo-classic Rush!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Funny, i have always maintained that Caravan was good and Far Cry was crap

QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 16 2012, 08:45 PM)

2.gif  1022.gif  2.gif

I quite like Far Cry. Caravan has the worst vocal delivery on a Rush track since the debut album.

I think its a good song. I like it, don't love it.

Nowadays, I prefer listening to the jamming rather than getting anything else out of their music (Thanks Neil).

Composition-wise, Caravan is a mess in my opinion. It sounds forced. The comparison to Freewill earlier in the thread was way off-base. Freewill is tight even with all the changes. The jam session in the song is fluid and sounds like it belonged.

That said..Caravan gives me hope that they get it right somewhere else on CA.

BU2B is good too, it just didn't wow me.

Neil's drum intro to One Little Victory and Geddy's (higher pitched) vocals had me thrilled and got my attention. The Headlong Flight teaser has me hopeful for the rest of Clockwork Angels.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 16 2012, 02:45 PM)

2.gif  1022.gif  2.gif

Far Cry could have been so much better. The jingly acoustic guitar rhythm had no place in that song. It sounds goofy. I had issues with Spindrift too. So much potential with underwhelming results. That's totally on Nick unless he spoke up and was over-ruled.

QUOTE (Echoes @ Apr 14 2012, 07:31 PM)
I'm in love with Caravan. Every time I hear it, I go nuts.
I feel it's their best song since Subdivisions. wub.gif

http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000UFyojnk6ILc/s/750/750/samaipata-bolivia-market-Jan042012-6481.jpg

Check it out. A blind man leaving a market where he just bought what he was sold. Glad you dig the song man. You're in love.