Rate Counterparts

Gompers

How do you rate Counterparts?  

168 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate Counterparts?

QUOTE (Tony R @ Apr 10 2012, 10:24 AM)
I gave it a 1.

A one-fingered salute.

It's appalling corporate rock. Disgraceful sell-out.

True, but it's just too catchy to ignore 653.gif 653.gif 653.gif

A solid 8. Great sound, good lyrics, strong melodies, memorable tunes. Uplifting without being coddling.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Apr 10 2012, 09:11 AM)
The OK
-Alien Shore

The Not so Good
-Nobody's Hero
-The Speed Of Love

Come on Gomps! Alien Shore Rocks! 1022.gif

Nobody's Hero and Speed of Love not so good? Paleeeaaasee! laugh.gif

For the record, I gave Counterparts an 8.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Apr 10 2012, 10:24 AM)
It's appalling corporate rock. Disgraceful sell-out.

I think you've confused Rush with Def Leppard. wink.gif

The Great

Animate

Cut To The Chase

Double Agent

Leave That Thing Alone

The Good

Stick It Out

Between Sun & Moon

Alien Shore

Cold Fire

Everyday Glory

The Okay

Nobody's Hero

The let's-pretend-this-song-doesn't-exist

The Speed Of Love.

Huge improvement over RTB. I rate it a 7/10, and it is extremely listenable except for TSoL (even the song title is horrible).

Counterparts is my favorite Rush album of the 90s. Most of the album was good, but there were some real standout tracks. Animate is one of the best songs they have done since Signals. Cut to the Chase is fantastic as well. Nobody's Hero and The Speed of Love are my two least favorite songs. After RTB, this album rekindled my faith in Rush's ability to make good albums. I gave it an 8, but it is closer to 9 than 8.

Geez...whats with all the negativity towards Nobody's Hero? confused13.gif

And please don't say it has anything to do with the "I knew he was different in his sexuality..." line...trust me - i have talked to a handful of people who have expressed their dislike for the song, JUST because of that lyric. Give me a break... eyesre4.gif

Edited by ALifeson85

When the album came out i did not like it at all. Called it CounterFARTS and would have given it about a 3. Then about 3 years ago it just clicked with me. Love it now. I will rank it as almost an 8.5. Since it is just short of being an 8.5 I will round down and rank it as an 8 but it continues to grow in my respect. Once it hits 8.5 I will then change my vote up to a 9 which would put it in rare company. Right now I would rank S & A ahead of it but that may not last. Very good album. To brake it down crudely by song I would say:

The Great:

None

The Good:

Animate

Nobody's Hero

Between Sun & Moon

Alien Shore

Speed of Love

Cold Fire

Everyday Glory

The Ok:

Stick it Out

Cut to the Chase

The Not so Ok:

Double Agent

Leave That thing Alone

The Bad:

None

Keep in mind that the 2 "Ok" songs are on the high side of that category. Also keep in mind that not all of the "Good" songs are not created equal. The last 4 I listed (Alien Shore, Speed of Love, Cold Fire & Everyday Glory) are on the high side of the category, bordering, but not achieving, "great" status.

Speaking of "The Speed of Love", why all the hate for the song?? Its one of the 3 best on the album (along with Cold Fire & Everyday Glory - these 3 are slightly better than Alien Shore).

Could one of you haters of it try to please explain? I have spent more than ample time trying to explain why I detest VT or Dog Years in the past. What about it is so bad??

I enjoy both the music and the lyrics just hit me as so, for lack of a better phrase, both intellectual and emotional all at once. It just feels as though the song is coming from the head and heart at the same time. Really like the way Geddy sings them. Why all the hate?

Thanks.

I said 8, but this album is growing on me and it should probably be closer to 9. I even like Speed of Love. I want to hear CTTC so badly on the next tour, can't understand why people didn't like Stick It Out on the last, think the spoken part in Double Agent is one of Geddy's sexiest vocals EVER drool1.gif , and LTTA is my favorite Rush instrumental. I also like a little bit of country, and dig the country flavor of Cold Fire and Between Sun and Moon (which is another one I'm thinking more and more all the time would be fabulous live).

QUOTE (English Muffin @ Apr 10 2012, 10:45 AM)
QUOTE (The K Man @ Apr 10 2012, 03:58 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 10 2012, 09:55 AM)
Just what the heck does that voice say before the start of Alien Shore? I never did solve that mystery.

I think it's, "Man overboard!"

"I've had about all"?

"Men about oars!" is what he says.

trink39.gif

Love this CD, by the way. Great sounding, smart lyrics, Alex & Ged own it, and only a couple of duds.

QUOTE (goose @ Apr 11 2012, 01:44 PM)
QUOTE (English Muffin @ Apr 10 2012, 10:45 AM)
QUOTE (The K Man @ Apr 10 2012, 03:58 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 10 2012, 09:55 AM)
Just what the heck does that voice say before the start of Alien Shore? I never did solve that mystery.

I think it's, "Man overboard!"

"I've had about all"?

"Men about oars!" is what he says.

trink39.gif

Love this CD, by the way. Great sounding, smart lyrics, Alex & Ged own it, and only a couple of duds.

Those duds for me are Speed of Love and Everyday Glory.

Counterparts is the tasty meat between the somewhat stale slices of Roll The Bones and T4E.

Solid 8.

trink38.gif

I've had a mixed CD with "The Speed Of Love" on it in my car for around a year now... I personally dig the tune. I would go so far as to say it would be a welcome addition to a future concert setlist.

A solid album. My personal dislike is Nobody's Hero.

I'd say 8/10.

Solid 10, easily my favorite Rush ablum, with Presto and Grace Under Pressure not far behind.

Only somewhat weak track is The Speed of Love, but it does grow on you pretty quickly. The rest is amazing, and I do honestly think Animate is in the Top 5 Overall Rush Songs list for me here.

QUOTE (ALifeson85 @ Apr 10 2012, 10:10 AM)
Speaking of Counterparts - anyone else but me want to see Double Agent and/or Cut To The Chase played this year on the upcoming tour??

I would love love love to have 'Cut to the Chase' live! Hey, there aren't that many songs from the album they haven't done live: 'Cut to the Chase', 'Alien Shore', 'Speed of Love', and 'Everyday Glory'.

A very solid album, IMO, and the second one I heard (Hemispheres being the first), so it brings back fond memories. I love the sound - thick, deep, and a little ballsy. Thankfully, when the album first came out, I would listen to the cassette without skipping any songs, so they are all equally listened to (I don't like it when I'm familiar with only the 'hits' from an album, which is the case with Metallica's Black Album - I always skip the popular songs from that one now!).

On a slightly coincidental side-note, 'Alien Shore' popped up on my music player yesterday and I realized for the first time how cool the bass sounds, sliding around. I love picking up on new ways that I love my Rush songs!

QUOTE (TheAccountant @ Apr 10 2012, 08:13 PM)
Speaking of "The Speed of Love", why all the hate for the song??  Its one of the 3 best on the album (along with Cold Fire & Everyday Glory - these 3 are slightly better than Alien Shore). 

Could one of you haters of it try to please explain? 

I'm a big fan of the song, myself. But I imagine that some folks aren't fond of the slow pace, lyrical repetition in the chorus, and "cheesy" subject matter. Those were issues I had with the tune initially, but I came to really like the guitar sound and the vocal melodies, and I think the song makes for a nice change of pace within the context of so many distortion-heavy, fast-paced torpedoes.

The last album where Rush really sounds like Rush to me. There are no Geddy choirs, no over produced guitars and waaaaay less chorus's to songs than in subsequent releases. I think speed of love is a fantastic song. Very emotional for me and a very well played piece. The only songs I'm not so keen on are Stick it out, which sounds like condensed, impotent teen angst, and Nobody's hero, mainly because I don't like hearing about how amazing homosexuality is and the topic of AIDS is a real bummer for a song.(Pun very much intended)

Cut to the chase, Animate, Cold Fire and Leave that thing Alone are all classic modern day Rush. 9/10 because it's impossible for an album to be perfect. But this one certainly comes close. 2.gif

QUOTE (Czarcasm @ Apr 11 2012, 08:02 PM)
Nobody's hero, mainly because I don't like hearing about how amazing homosexuality is and the topic of AIDS is a real bummer for a song.(Pun very much intended)

confused13.gif