Rate Counterparts

Gompers

How do you rate Counterparts?  

168 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate Counterparts?

QUOTE (Czarcasm @ Apr 11 2012, 08:02 PM)
Cut to the chase, Animate, Cold Fire and Leave that thing Alone are all classic modern day Rush. 9/10 because it's impossible for an album to be perfect. But this one certainly comes close. 2.gif

Ditto. I also gave it a 9 for the same reasons.

Looks like a solid late Rush release. Maybe CA will have similar love.

QUOTE (ALifeson85 @ Apr 10 2012, 11:10 AM)
Speaking of Counterparts - anyone else but me want to see Double Agent and/or Cut To The Chase played this year on the upcoming tour??

I do!

And I give this album an 8! icon_alienjig.gif

After 62 votes:

Rating = 8.19

QUOTE (ALifeson85 @ Apr 10 2012, 06:04 PM)
Geez...whats with all the negativity towards Nobody's Hero? confused13.gif

And please don't say it has anything to do with the "I knew he was different in his sexuality..." line...trust me - i have talked to a handful of people who have expressed their dislike for the song, JUST because of that lyric. Give me a break... eyesre4.gif

It is one of the worst intro lines in the history of rock music, not because of the subject matter, but because of the total lack of tact or creativity.

I like what the song becomes, love the chorus, and yet despise that intro line. Cringe-worthy...

QUOTE (goose @ Apr 14 2012, 12:03 AM)

And please don't say it has anything to do with the "I knew he was different in his sexuality..." line...trust me - i have talked to a handful of people who have expressed their dislike for the song, JUST because of that lyric. Give me a break... eyesre4.gif

It is one of the worst intro lines in the history of rock music, not because of the subject matter, but because of the total lack of tact or creativity.

I like what the song becomes, love the chorus, and yet despise that intro line. Cringe-worthy...

Yeah, I agree. I like the sentiment of the song, and it's got a lot going for it, but the opening line is really clumsy.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Apr 10 2012, 11:55 PM)
QUOTE (goose @ Apr 11 2012, 01:44 PM)
QUOTE (English Muffin @ Apr 10 2012, 10:45 AM)
QUOTE (The K Man @ Apr 10 2012, 03:58 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 10 2012, 09:55 AM)
Just what the heck does that voice say before the start of Alien Shore? I never did solve that mystery.

I think it's, "Man overboard!"

"I've had about all"?

"Men about oars!" is what he says.

trink39.gif

Love this CD, by the way. Great sounding, smart lyrics, Alex & Ged own it, and only a couple of duds.

Those duds for me are Speed of Love and Everyday Glory.

Counterparts is the tasty meat between the somewhat stale slices of Roll The Bones and T4E.

Solid 8.

trink38.gif

Agreed. Those two suck. I listened to them the other day and they seem to be virtually the same song, when played back to back. One big mid-tempo, talk-sung, yawn-fest.

QUOTE (goose @ Apr 14 2012, 01:03 AM)

goodpost.gif

AlexFinal.gif This is without a doubt my favorite album with Hemispheres and A Farewell To Kings in a close second. I bought a PRS Guitar just so I could play Leave That Thing Alone and all the other tracks as close as I possobly could. AlexFinal.gif Just like this one.

l love the production and a couple of the songs rock (Stick It Out, Between Sun and Moon, LTTA, Cut To The Chase, I even like Everyday Glory) but this was the start of Neil's lyrics not clicking with me anymore on many songs. It also contains the first Rush song that I immediatly hated ('Speed Of Love')

The tour was great though even if I wasn't crazy about the album as a whole. It was pretty dark and serious sounding after the optimisic and funky sound of RTB

The best Rush album since Power Windows. I was so very pleasantly surprised when I first heard it and I finally got to see them for the first time since the Signals tour. Alex plugged back in. Geddy found his Fender and Neil's lyrics were very good and the theme of the album flowed quite well. It was a good time to be a Rush fan. They finally had a pretty good video (Stick It Out) and there was an actual love song on the album (Cold Fire) and it didn't suck. It was also the beginning of a little grudgingly offered respect from the mainstream music media.

10!!!! Despite Speed of Love...

The other 10 songs are all 9's or 10's.

Classic Rush tunes I never get tired of

10's

Animate

Cut to the Chase

Between Sun and Moon

Double Agent

Leave That Thing Alone

Solid Rush

9's

Stick it Out

Nobody's Hero (really like this except the first line-it seems to take a beating on here)

Alien Shore

Cold Fire

Everyday Glory

Dunno where I'd put The Speed of Love, but it belongs on Test for Echo LOL

Actually put Speed of Love on Test for Echo and Driven on Counterparts and you might very well have the perfect Rush album!

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Apr 14 2012, 01:08 PM)

goodpost.gif

Agreed. It's garbage trash-can doo doooo jeep-status.

QUOTE (That One Guy @ Apr 17 2012, 04:11 PM)

goodpost.gif

facepalm.gif

This is a 6 for me. There are many songs I LOVE but the rest are just okay for me. I love: Animate, Cut To The Chase, Cold Fire, Between The Sun And Moon, Leave That Thing Alone, Nobody's hero and Everyday Glory. The rest are a'ight for me. cool.gif

goodpost.gif

I'm not even sure what any of that means? Jeep status?

Kids

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 18 2012, 06:40 AM)

goodpost.gif

I'm not even sure what any of that means? Jeep status?

Kids

Me and friends are off-road enthusiasts. We drive toyotas and treat them as the holy grail of wheeling, while referring to Jeeps as the Worst Thing Ever.

However none of this relates to that song. So i guess ill stop now.

cool10.gif