Rate Counterparts

Gompers

How do you rate Counterparts?  

168 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate Counterparts?

This release to me was very welcome after what I considered two let down albums, being RTB and Presto. Counterparts is one I go back to quite often because I feel Rush regained some basic rock stylings they drifted from. I give CP an 8.

The Good

-Animate

-Cut To The Chase

-Between Sun & Moon

-Cold Fire

-Double Agent

The OK

-Stick It Out

-Alien Shore

-Leave That Thing Alone

The Not so Good

-Nobody's Hero

-The Speed Of Love

-Everyday Glory

I vividly remember buying it the day it was released, unwrapping it, putting the cassette tape in my car stereo, hearing Animate for the first time on my drive home from the record store, and thinking I'd died and gone to heaven. No album opener has been that good since, IMO.

The only song I don't really like that much is Stick it Out.

The production is excellent.

Hence, I give it a 9.

Gave it a 9...the only song I was never keen on was The Speed of Love. Aside from that, the rest of the tracks are great, imo. yes.gif Edited by ALifeson85

QUOTE (Captain Avatar @ Apr 10 2012, 10:21 AM)
I vividly remember buying it the day it was released, unwrapping it, putting the cassette tape in my car stereo, hearing Animate for the first time on my drive home from the record store, and thinking I'd died and gone to heaven. No album opener has been that good since, IMO.

The only song I don't really like that much is Stick it Out.

The production is excellent.

Hence, I give it a 9.

Animate was an incredible opener I thought too. It was not what I expected and was blown away.

I was getting into Rush when this album came out so i've always considered it the album that made me a fan of theirs. It's my favorite album from them. The Speed Of Love is the only song I usually skip over.

I might be the only one doing it but I give it a 10 not only for the songs but a lot of it has to do with what the album represents to me and my Rush fandom.

9 from me.

Even with the Speedbump of Love in the way, it's an amazing album.

My 2nd Rush album after A show of Hands, actually.

• Like 1

QUOTE (Captain Avatar @ Apr 10 2012, 09:21 AM)
I vividly remember buying it the day it was released, unwrapping it, putting the cassette tape in my car stereo, hearing Animate for the first time on my drive home from the record store, and thinking I'd died and gone to heaven.

Around that time I was really starting to get into playing music with my buddies and we were all learning about how awesome Neil Peart was. We heard his "1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2,.. BADDA BADDADDA!!!" intro and thought how cool it was that Neil's counted something different than your standard '1, 2, 3, 4!' before the song*

*Even though it IS just 4/4 stuff, but hey what did I know back then? laugh.gif

I give it a solid 8.

Excellent album; the best Rush album from 1989-today. "Speed of Love" is the weakest track, and I'm no great fan of "Cut to the Chase" (I'm in a minority on that one), but overall an excellent album.

10/10

Dead serious here. I love everything on this record (even Stick It Out and The Speed of Love), and this is one of two Rush albums that I think can be lumped in with their Big 5 of 2112 through Moving Pictures, Power Windows being the other.

Leave That Thing Alone, Cold Fire and Everyday Glory are all top 20 Rush songs for me, and Double Agent and Animate are not far behind.

This album rules. cool.gif

Edited by The K Man

Always dug the 2112 Grand Finale similarities in Double Agent.

This is one of my five favorite Rush albums, and it's probably the one I've listened to the most. If you ask me, Animate is one of the band's greatest tunes, and Leave That Thing Alone is their best instrumental. Cold Fire and Alien Shore are also fantastic (and, in AS's case, extremely underrated). Stick it Out rocks, as does Cut to the Chase (which features an awesome lead). Double Agent is a mad-scientist moment gone well. The Speed of Love grew on me more than I'd ever imagined it would, and Everyday Glory is moving in that same direction, albeit at glacial speed. I can't say the whole thing is great: Between Sun and Moon is a little too goofy (lyrically) and dull at times to really hook me, and Nobody's Hero is a case of good intentions gone awry. But, overall, this disc is excellent and earns a 9 from me.

It's easily their best release since Power Windows.

F'n great record...solid from start to finish.

Animate, Cut To The Chase, and Leave That Thing Alone are some of my all-time favourite Rush songs.

There are no bad songs on this record at all. The Speed of Love is probably the "weakest" track, but I still like it alot. It gets alot of flack...but it's still good IMO.

It's a well-paced album, and I love the fact that it rocks. I'm hoping that Clockwork Angels is somewhere in the same vein, as far as rocking. 1022.gif

Oh...I gave it a 9.