How "Progressive" Will Clockwork Angels be.

The Owl

Will Clockwork Angels be a Prog Rock album? on a scale from 0 to 10 rate the progressive nature of this album..  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Will Clockwork Angels be a Prog Rock album? on a scale from 0 to 10 rate the progressive nature of this album..

• 0. (Not at all, it will be all short pop-rock drivel)
    • 1. (Ill be happy if I see a song over 5 mintues)
    • 2. (I don't expect it to be any more prog than newer Asia)
    • 3. (There Might be an odd time signature or two)
    • 4. ( There will be some instrument diversity in the songs, along with option #3)
    • 5. (Most songs will range from 6-10 minutes along with options #3 and #4)
    • 6. ( We will get one decent 10+ minute track with the rest falling with options 3,4, and 5)
    • 7. (One Multi-part 15+ minute epic, and the rest falling in line with options 3,4,and 5)
    • 8. (Fully Fledged Prog album, no songs shorter than 7 minutes including the one epic, instrument diversity, and time signature changes rampant through album)
    • 9. (Full Prog pretention is ON, possibly a double album, fully conceptual in nature, along with that specified in option #8)
    • 10 (Rush will release a conceptual double album, all songs will be over 15 minute epics, and Geddy will sing in a fabricated language)
    • .....Can I Haz Metal? :huh:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rummut71 @ Apr 10 2012, 09:43 AM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Apr 10 2012, 08:40 AM)
Losingit2K, you do know that "The Chapel At The Vatican" is not a painting don't you?
Michelangelo wasn't a painter and decorator either....

I heard he could bowl his ass off though...

z7shysterical.gif

Two Strikes against Tony R.... (Oh I know those are baseball terms not bowling terms) so please restrain yourself from erroneous comments!

If you can!

pokey.gif

Now I want to rate every album just for fun biggrin.gif

Rush: 1.5

Fly By Night: 3

Caress of Steel : 6.5

2112: 7

A Farewell to Kings: 8.5

Hemispheres: 10

Permanent Waves: 9

Moving Pictures: 8.5

Signals: 6

Grace Under Pressure: 6

Power Windows: 6.5

Hold Your Fire: 4.5

Presto: 3

Roll the Bones: 2.5

Counterparts: 5

Test for Echo: 4.5

Vapor Trails: 5

Snakes and Arrows: 6.5

Im pretty sure you have no idea what the word prog means if you think albums like S&A are progressive. There is not a single aspect of S&A that is edgy or different in any way whatsoever. In fact every single song except for the instrumentals are standard issue rock songs with standard issue structures.

If S&A is prog so is Motley Crue, which obviously is completely ridiculous.

Rush: 0

Fly By Night: 2

Caress of Steel : 7

2112: 10

Permanent Waves: 0

Moving Pictures: 0

Signals: 0

Grace Under Pressure: 0

Power Windows: 0

Hold Your Fire: 0

Presto: 0

Roll the Bones: 0

Counterparts: 0

Test for Echo: 0

Vapor Trails: 0

Snakes and Arrows: 0

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 10 2012, 02:10 PM)
Fly By Night: 2
Caress of Steel : 7
Permanent Waves: 0
Moving Pictures: 0
Signals: 0
Grace Under Pressure: 0
Power Windows: 0
Hold Your Fire: 0
Presto: 0
Roll the Bones: 0
Counterparts: 0
Test for Echo: 0
Vapor Trails: 0
Snakes and Arrows: 0

Wow, you've got to be kidding, right? Natural Science, Jacob's Ladder, YYZ, and Camera Eye, aren't prog? confused13.gif fing.gif

When I think of prog rock and Rush, I think primarily of odd time signatures, longer songs, keyboards, instrumental passages, and sci-fi/fantasy lyrics.

I do agree that Rush has really moved away from prog in recent years.

Fly By Night: 8

Caress of Steel : 10

A Farewell to Kings: 10

Permanent Waves: 10

Moving Pictures: 10

Signals: 8

Grace Under Pressure: 6

Power Windows: 6

Hold Your Fire: 5

Presto: 2

Roll the Bones: 1

Counterparts: 4

Test for Echo: 3

Vapor Trails: 2

Snakes and Arrows: 4

Edited by They Bow Defeated

People have this really guarded idea of of what "Progressive" is. The very nature of progressive music is the fact that it is constantly changing. If Rush just kept writing 20 minute long songs about mythology for 40 years, would that have been progress? Hell no. That would have made them just as stagnant and boring as all of the "Non-prog" acts out there.

When I use the term "progressive" I mean it in the sense of what I defined... Longer songs/Conceptual non-formulaic music/ odd time signatures/ a great diversity of instrumentation/ musically dynamic...etc...etc

I can see how the term progressive was applied appropriately back in the day because I can agree that when the style was new it was pushing boundaries, doing what rock music did not do at the time.... hence "progressive"

I cannot help that the term stuck to describe that type of music, even if you say that progressive means being innovative...use the term "art rock" then or anything that suits your fancy to describe music that exhibits what traditionally characterizes what is known as "progressive rock", I really don't feel like arguing semantics... and it seems anytime a thread about prog comes up in here it delves in a debate about semantics and the definition of the word "progressive" ...... you know what I meant.

QUOTE (Dscrapre @ Apr 10 2012, 02:44 PM)
People have this really guarded idea of of what "Progressive" is. The very nature of progressive music is the fact that it is constantly changing. If Rush just kept writing 20 minute long songs about mythology for 40 years, would that have been progress? Hell no. That would have made them just as stagnant and boring as all of the "Non-prog" acts out there.

goodpost.gif

But I wouldn't say no to a flute-mellotron duet on the new album.

I am glad that Rush left the "progressive train" after Hemispheres.

They are still progressive in my ears. They may not have the 10 + songs anymore (up to CA) but they are still progressive in my ears. No album sound like another one. And that is what I think that drives them. To continuously make new music and explore new areas.

If they would have continued on the Hemispheres direction I dont think we would have any Rush today. And we certainly would not have had Moving Pictures, Signals, GUP, etc.

I think the timing now for going back to their "progressive era" is good. It will be extremely interesting to see what they come up with.

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ Apr 10 2012, 10:44 PM)

goodpost.gif

Oh hell yeah! 1022.gif

I love classic Prog, and I'm not saying that it's boring or anything like that. I'm just happy that Rush had enough confidence in themselves to move away from that and try new things.

Although, I'm inappropriately excited to hear that CA is probably going to be Rush's first true concept album. It doesn't get much more old-school progressive than that!

QUOTE (Dscrapre @ Apr 11 2012, 10:07 AM)
QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ Apr 10 2012, 10:44 PM)

goodpost.gif

Oh hell yeah! 1022.gif

I love classic Prog, and I'm not saying that it's boring or anything like that. I'm just happy that Rush had enough confidence in themselves to move away from that and try new things.

Although, I'm inappropriately excited to hear that CA is probably going to be Rush's first true concept album. It doesn't get much more old-school progressive than that!

trink39.gif

With the song length's in, it is nice to see most of the tracks are over 6 minutes in length....a good sign, no ultra long tracks..... but another thing to take into account is that this is a concept album, and it might feel like one big concept broken down into 12 tracks.... as opposed to individual song-oriented tracks.

QUOTE (Tick @ Apr 13 2012, 03:15 PM)
So prog equates to the length of the song?

In many cases, yes. confused13.gif

Not always though...

Edited to say, it is a correlation but not causation. The length of the songs does not make them prog, but prog music is far more likely to have longer songs.

Edited by Tommy Sawyer

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ Apr 9 2012, 06:55 PM)
I went with #3, but I think it's gonna be more metal than we've seen in awhile.... 1022.gif

Let's face it. Rush is on Roadrunner Records now!

That means METAL!!!

PROGRESSIVE HEAVY METAL!!!!!!!!!!!!

EPIC!!!!!!!!

im confused, does it look like CA going to be a full concept album from start to finish every track part of the story or whatever? coz thats the impression you get looking at the tracklisting